Throwing up?

Hello Everyone,

I am set to be banded on 6/24/09. I have been reading every thread and post on the this forum (as well as a few others). On the other sites, namely this one

http://au.messages.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gen...nutrition/1417/

and I am absolutely terrified. :(

These people are choking constantly, throwing up to the point that their teeth are turning yellow, they have fluid come up while they sleep, and several desperately want the band out!

Do any of you deal with constant problems like this?

I understand that bite-size and chewing is a huge aspect of throwing up or "getting things stuck" but these people are adamant that they are following the proper procedures.

I am also aware that throwing up is "normal" as you get used to the band but many of these people have been banded for years.

I am 21 (22 day after surgery!) and I do not want to have lifelong problems like throwing up, being afraid to eat or drink, rotting teeth, and an overwhelming fear of choking to death in my sleep.

Please tell me that I am overreacting.

Amanda

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I read some of those posts and had to stop because I couldn't take it anymore.

I am not going to say that for all of them they are eating incorrectly, but that may be the case for some. For most of them, I am thinking they are simply too tight. Getting sick on almost everything including liquids and waking up at night coughing are both signs of being too tight. Not to be rude, but I think most of the people on that forum need to stop complaining and fanning each others flames and schedule an appointment with their doctor. If they cannot get a good exam and face to face understanding talk with their doctor, they need to seek out another doctor.

I have been banded for 15 months and probably have not thrown up more than 7 or 8 times. In fact, I had not thrown up at all until about 10 months after the surgery. For the times I have thrown up, in hindsight I was always able to recognize that I swallowed without chewing well enough, swallowed to much, or was eating too fast. Of course a couple of these times were due to a pill I had tried to swallow that was too big - Ouch!

I personally think you are overreacting, but after reading the posts I can understand why. Make sure you know the symptoms of having a band that it too tight and such, and address the problem as soon as you realize it. Finding solace in the fact that other people are having the same detrimental issue and are disgruntled bandsters is not good thing.

Stick with those of us on this forum and you will do great and hardly recognize yourself before long!

I was banded in December and I haven't thrown up once, I haven't even really PB'd yet though I have had one or two pretty uncomfortable situations with things getting stuck. Lots of deep breaths and a small amount of hot liquids combined with walking around helps for me when that happens. I've only had real restriction for just over a month so things might change, but I think that I have learned how to eat slow enough and with small enough bites to avoid most situations. I think one of the reasons you gradually increase your fill is so that you can learn how to eat with it cause it sure doesn't come naturally. I'd also be interested to find out where these people were banded and what type of support that they are getting from they medical team that they continue to have these problems. I haven't dealt with the OCC since my surgery but I have a great doctor and local fill Dr that have been awesome.

If you are having your surgery at the OCC and have good aftercare set up I don't think you have to worry too much. Just my two cents.

Louise

Hello Everyone,

I am set to be banded on 6/24/09. I have been reading every thread and post on the this forum (as well as a few others). On the other sites, namely this one

http://au.messages.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gen...nutrition/1417/

and I am absolutely terrified. :(

These people are choking constantly, throwing up to the point that their teeth are turning yellow, they have fluid come up while they sleep, and several desperately want the band out!

Do any of you deal with constant problems like this?

I understand that bite-size and chewing is a huge aspect of throwing up or "getting things stuck" but these people are adamant that they are following the proper procedures.

I am also aware that throwing up is "normal" as you get used to the band but many of these people have been banded for years.

I am 21 (22 day after surgery!) and I do not want to have lifelong problems like throwing up, being afraid to eat or drink, rotting teeth, and an overwhelming fear of choking to death in my sleep.

Please tell me that I am overreacting.

Amanda

Please dont let a few that are very loud with their comments scare you from getting healthy. The number of success stories far outway these posts you are reading that have problems. As long as you follow the instructions and don't revert back to your old habits, you will do great and given time look skinny and beautiful!

Wow....I can't even imagine PB'ing that often!!! I feel like I PB too much and I only do it maybe 3 times a month. All from flat out not eating slow enough and not chewing well. I have "thrown up" maybe twice since being banded in October.

I didn't read their comments, but just from what you said they are not doing this right and are really lucky they haven't slipped their band. But from what I know that is rare. They are gonna be in a world of hurt and are wasting a LOT of money!

After reading that forum to me its clear that some people DO get problems but the majority really done and not problems that severe.

I was banded in Febuary and have not vomited once, nor so i salivate and my teeth are still white, I think they just go to that forum to blame the lapband for all their problems and it does seem like they are fuelling theiw own fire, (not safe).

I think that if you have it done, you will be mostly happy. I still feel that little doubt which is 'why couldnt i do it without the lapband' 'now i have scars' but to be honest id rather be slim and happy than obese and miserable. I am still obese, my band isnt restricting as it should yet but I am working on that.

Bottom line, you will be fine, good luck stay in touch :)

Wow....I can't even imagine PB'ing that often!!! I feel like I PB too much and I only do it maybe 3 times a month. All from flat out not eating slow enough and not chewing well. I have "thrown up" maybe twice since being banded in October.

I didn't read their comments, but just from what you said they are not doing this right and are really lucky they haven't slipped their band. But from what I know that is rare. They are gonna be in a world of hurt and are wasting a LOT of money!

Amanda - You will throw up and it's OK. But it's not like having the stomach flu type of heaving. It feels more like a “release” where the food you ate simply moves back up and out. I have an occasional "heave" but not many at all. Then you will figure out why, you will see a trend, a behavior and you will begin mitigating these behaviors. You will be OK...

SoCal Kid - Twitter page - http://explore.twitter.com/Tkennedy

Thank you all!

Your responses have eased my mind. I am very glad to hear that it is not a flu like vomiting--that would be terrible!

I am just so excited to finally have something that works after failing at so many other things (even being a college athlete!) and I wanted to make sure that I explored every aspect that I could about such a life changing procedure.

This forum is very positive and gives me confidence that everything will be alright.

Thank you! Thank you!

Amanda

I have had some issues with throwing up. It seems like at lunch and breakfast I am really tight. I have called my dr several times and she tells me to go back on liquid diet for two days and then I am fine. So now I am being very careful. I dont want to throw up. I never throw up at dinner time, it seems like I am not tight then. So far I have thrown up 4 times in the last month. I have no idea if this is alot. I am concerned. I try to be real careful. It may be that at breakfast and lunch I will not be able to eat anything like meats of any kind. Today I had a salad at lunch and it was fine, but I know that is not enough food for me, I can't live on salads. I need some type of protein. for breakfast today all I could do was have coffee. I did have some problems with phlegm that seemed real thick but it appears this is going away. I will again call my dr and tell her this is a problem. I dont think anyone wants to throw up and I think that anyone who sits on here and tells us or assumes we are eating wrong, they need to get a grip. I have called my dr several times, I am eating correctly and I can't seek out another dr, because there isnt one!! Unless I want to travel 4 1/2 hours to one, which I can't right now. Seems weird that I can eat sometimes and sometimes not. I am sure that in time this will work its self out. I am going to talk to my dr again and discuss a slight unfill and tell her that I insist but as she said before, I dont have this problem all the time. I am going to write down the rest of the month if I throw up again. I wonder how much is too much for this to be happening?

The only time I throw up is when I don't chew well or I eat too fast. I'm sure some of those people have a messed up band...........but not all of them. I met a bandster who told me horrible scary stories about getting stuck, not losing weight, getting gas, throwing up etc. I got a chance to see her eat and that answered my questions. If you are committed to changing your lifestyle and educate yourself then you should be fine.