Help Please!

Hi All,

Most of you know what I've been going through with having to get unfilled. Needless to say I've got 1.5 cc's in my band at the moment, no restriction, and 17 more days to go until I can get another fill. Plus side...heartburn/acid is completely gone...downside is I've gained six pounds. I went from 201 back up to 207. I have to stop this maddness but lately, I feel.completely.out.of.control with my eating and don't know how to get back on track. It doesn't help that I'm hungry all of the time and that gassiness is back almost as bad as post-op. It distends my belly and at night can get painful.

Anyway, I know I cannot do liquids for another 2.5 weeks so that's out. I tried the lean cuisine thing for a couple of days and realized I can't really stomach those either. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I realize that I can hold off on losing the six pounds until I get filled...I just don't want to gain anymore. I need to maintain until July 15th.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I've been feeling weak and kinda crappy lately so, instead of 5x gym I've only been going 3x for the last two weeks.

Sorry if I sound whiney but I don't know where else to turn. Any advice or easy to follow plan would be helpful?

Thank you!

I have no advise except to tell ya that I haven't even had an unfull yet but for some reason I have been eating horribly this past week. Just try to hold on. Your right though, after your fill those 6 pounds will come right off. Hang in there. This San Diego weather doesn't help either.

Hi AngelaAnn,

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. The only thing you haven't mentioned is whether you're journalling your feelings or not. I found that when I sit down and write what I'm feeling...ESPECIALLY when I'm feeling afraid, angry, frustrated, etc....I'm finally able to disipate these feelings and make better decisions about whether or not to eat, what I eat, etc.

There are some days that I end up journalling a bunch of times throughout the day, but I figure if it helps me stay in touch with what's going on with myself, then so be it. The only other thing I might suggest is that you may want to add some "Senacot" (sp?) to your diet. Senacot (sp?) will help soften things up down there (if you get the Senacot with a stool softener), and will definitely help with the gas at night. I also took some Prevacid, which is an antacid of sorts, but the Senocot provided the most relief for me.

Anyway, hang in there and don't give up, whatever you do. You are SO worth it!!

(1jmk)

Hi All,

Most of you know what I've been going through with having to get unfilled. Needless to say I've got 1.5 cc's in my band at the moment, no restriction, and 17 more days to go until I can get another fill. Plus side...heartburn/acid is completely gone...downside is I've gained six pounds. I went from 201 back up to 207. I have to stop this maddness but lately, I feel.completely.out.of.control with my eating and don't know how to get back on track. It doesn't help that I'm hungry all of the time and that gassiness is back almost as bad as post-op. It distends my belly and at night can get painful.

Anyway, I know I cannot do liquids for another 2.5 weeks so that's out. I tried the lean cuisine thing for a couple of days and realized I can't really stomach those either. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I realize that I can hold off on losing the six pounds until I get filled...I just don't want to gain anymore. I need to maintain until July 15th.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I've been feeling weak and kinda crappy lately so, instead of 5x gym I've only been going 3x for the last two weeks.

Sorry if I sound whiney but I don't know where else to turn. Any advice or easy to follow plan would be helpful?

Thank you!

Are you eating at least 60 grams of protein each day? If so, are they in a solid or liquid form? Solids are definitely best.

Granted, you can't live on liquids for the next two and a half weeks, but getting in at least 64 ounces of liquids can help curb the hunger as well.

I'm not having trouble going to the bathroom, almost the opposite in fact. I just have crazy gas and gas pains like the after surgery kind that tend to float around for awhile before they come out.

Actually, now that I think about it, I might not be getting enough protein. I have 26 grams in my coffee every day plus I generally will drink a shake or eat greek yogurt for another 15 and then I usually eat some solid protein for dinner so, actually, I think I'm getting at least 60 but not much more than that.

I'm not much of a journal person. It doesn't work for me. I tried but then I'd forget to do it.

Also, I just realized I might be feeling like crap because I'm on an anti-viral med for 10 days and maybe it's making me feel lethargic/dizzy. I don't know, because I've never taken one before.

I have no advise except to tell ya that I haven't even had an unfull yet but for some reason I have been eating horribly this past week. Just try to hold on. Your right though, after your fill those 6 pounds will come right off. Hang in there. This San Diego weather doesn't help either.

I know, this weather is making me sweat, but it's a mood killer too.

Agree I would make sure you are getting enough protein! Not sure if it is just me, but when I eat tuna it fills me up for the longest time! Also, many people swear by chewing benefiber or fiber choice around 10am and again at 3pm or so when they start getting hungry. Also, agree as well make sure most of your protein is a solid. I know for me I can really only do liquid protein now for breakfast, but when I do that is when the head hunger kicks in with a vengance!

Ive also lately been making some nice hearty salads. Putting cubed ham or turkey in it as well as hardboiled eggs and it has been keeping me really full. Added some cottage cheese with it as well.

Hang in there you will get through this! Also do things to keep your mind off it and make sure you are also eating really really slowly. That helped me a LOT early on when I had no restriction.

Agree I would make sure you are getting enough protein! Not sure if it is just me, but when I eat tuna it fills me up for the longest time! Also, many people swear by chewing benefiber or fiber choice around 10am and again at 3pm or so when they start getting hungry. Also, agree as well make sure most of your protein is a solid. I know for me I can really only do liquid protein now for breakfast, but when I do that is when the head hunger kicks in with a vengance!

Ive also lately been making some nice hearty salads. Putting cubed ham or turkey in it as well as hardboiled eggs and it has been keeping me really full. Added some cottage cheese with it as well.

Hang in there you will get through this! Also do things to keep your mind off it and make sure you are also eating really really slowly. That helped me a LOT early on when I had no restriction.

This seems to be the hardest BAD habit for me too kick too! eating REALLY REALLY SLOW doesnt come naturally for me and it is hard to remember sometimes. The it is to late and the band reminds me good that I was not paying attention. WATER is the 2nd thing for me. Filling up with 64 oz of water is so hard! I Just look at it and cant into it. Flavoring helps but the sugar is bad. just have to find a happy middle and hope for the best sometimes. I have been needing to set the timer to remind me to stop and drink water, if soymilk and popsicles count I could be closer than I think LOL :)

I have heard the last of protien has that fatigued affect on alot of people, it does on me. YUCK I didnt realize we needed to got 60 grams of protien, I thought 40 grams was good.

I hear you!! I feel like I have fallen off the wagon. I need a fill and have been too busy to set the appointment. I find myself eating more at meals and at times snacking during the day and in the evening. We went out to eat the other night and i got an app. as my meal and not only finished that but started munching on my son's meal. after dinner i was uncomfortable but not as bad as i thought i would be when i realized on the way home all i had eaten. I gained 2# this week and blamed it on my period but i know that is an excuse!!!

Best wishes to all who are going through this as well!!!!

I'm dealing with some similar stuff. I've been totally unfilled for a few weeks because of a partial slip.

I'm worried that I could end up losing my band so I've felt very motivated I guess to stay on track. But it hasn't actually been that hard for some reason. I think perhaps because of the weird positioning of the band on my stomach I'm still feeling a little restriction - just enough to help me feel full after a healthy meal. But I do feel hunger again like I haven't in ages.

Here are some things I've been doing that I think are helping:

- Protein with every meal to help me feel full - I've been eating a ton of chicken and fish

- Firm veggies like broccoli (that were hard to eat with a filled band) at lunch and dinner to also help fill me up

- Generally limit sweets to a 50 cal sweet after lunch and a 100 cal sweet after dinner (with an occasional bigger treat)

- For me at least I find that the more sweets I eat the more I crave them - and food in general

- Track my eating online - I can't tell you how much this helps me; I resisted doing it for ages but now I'm addicted

But lastly I'll say that I've gotten off track many times in the year since I've had the band and gained for a bit before getting back on track. When I'm doing well, like I am right now, I feel like nothing can stop me, but then I get off track and it takes me a while to get my sweet cravings under control and get back on the wagon. I've accepted that that's just a part of the process for me. I'm not willing to quit sugar all together, so it may get a hold of me every once in a while.

Good luck! I'm sure it'll all get easier once you get a fill.

I'm dealing with some similar stuff. I've been totally unfilled for a few weeks because of a partial slip.

I'm worried that I could end up losing my band so I've felt very motivated I guess to stay on track. But it hasn't actually been that hard for some reason. I think perhaps because of the weird positioning of the band on my stomach I'm still feeling a little restriction - just enough to help me feel full after a healthy meal. But I do feel hunger again like I haven't in ages.

Here are some things I've been doing that I think are helping:

- Protein with every meal to help me feel full - I've been eating a ton of chicken and fish

- Firm veggies like broccoli (that were hard to eat with a filled band) at lunch and dinner to also help fill me up

- Generally limit sweets to a 50 cal sweet after lunch and a 100 cal sweet after dinner (with an occasional bigger treat)

- For me at least I find that the more sweets I eat the more I crave them - and food in general

- Track my eating online - I can't tell you how much this helps me; I resisted doing it for ages but now I'm addicted

But lastly I'll say that I've gotten off track many times in the year since I've had the band and gained for a bit before getting back on track. When I'm doing well, like I am right now, I feel like nothing can stop me, but then I get off track and it takes me a while to get my sweet cravings under control and get back on the wagon. I've accepted that that's just a part of the process for me. I'm not willing to quit sugar all together, so it may get a hold of me every once in a while.

Good luck! I'm sure it'll all get easier once you get a fill.

Thank you!!!! Where are you tracking calories at and is it easy enough to where I just put in what food I've been eating...ie one egg + 2 slices low calorie bread etc. ? I, too cannot give up sweets for some reason and the more I eat, the more I crave--I think I will do what you do so, I'm still "rewarding" myself. :) I think I also need to eat more solid protein, maybe for lunch (even though this isn't where most of my hunger is during the day) so I don't eat the house at night. You've been very helpful. :)

I'm so happy to help - I hope some of these tips work for you too!

I use Sparkpeople.com. Yes, you can do a search for whatever food - like bread or eggs - and it will give you a bunch of options to choose from, like different brands of bread, etc. They don't have every food out there, but you can enter things that are not in the system. You can also save your favorite foods for quick access and also copy previous meals to a different day - I use that constantly because I often eat the same things over and over.

You can establish weight loss goals and it will give you a daily calorie range to meet that goal. And you can track your weight loss compared to your where you should be according to your established goals.

I've heard about other sites as well that you might want to check out before signing up - fitday.com and dailyplate.com, and I think there are more...

I totally reward myself with sweets too. It's such a hard habit to break! I've just gotten home from a long workday and I'm totally jonesing for a treat even though I'm not actually hungry (ate dinner at work)! Something else that helps sometimes with sweet cravings is to drink water. Sometimes when I'm actually thirsty I crave sweets and drinking water actually helps (as unsatisfying as it sounds).

The other thing about sweets is that I avoid eating sweets at any time except directly after a meal. There's nothing that gets my appetite going like a cookie in the afternoon!

Hang in there - you're doing so well! You can make it through this.

-Susan

Thank you!!!! Where are you tracking calories at and is it easy enough to where I just put in what food I've been eating...ie one egg + 2 slices low calorie bread etc. ? I, too cannot give up sweets for some reason and the more I eat, the more I crave--I think I will do what you do so, I'm still "rewarding" myself. :) I think I also need to eat more solid protein, maybe for lunch (even though this isn't where most of my hunger is during the day) so I don't eat the house at night. You've been very helpful. :)