Lapband used as a tax reduction?

I have heard that our lapband surgery can be used as a tax deducation for next year. Does anyone have any information on this? What types of things do we need to save? I was a self pay patient so I used my credit card and paypal account. I do have those receipts. Whenever I go to the OCC for a fill, I do receive a receipt, but it does not have any OCC info on it. Has anyone done this before?

Yes, the lap band and other medical expenses and prescriptions are tax deductible. The catch is that you have to have more medical expenses than 7.5% of your income and you can only claim the amount that is over the 7.5% of your income? Confused yet? I am not sure if the 7.5% will still be the percentage this year or not, but it is definitely something to keep in mind when tax time rolls around. You can also claim mileage to and from doctor appointments as a medical expense.

Definitely keep all those receipts as well as fills, etc...between that and being a first time home buyer I got a SWEET income tax refund this past year.

Does anyone know if it is still tax deductible if the band is elective... since my insurance isnt covering it and my PCM isnt suggesting that I have it done?

THE REASON FOR THE BAND IS BECAUSE ONE IS OBESE, I DON’T THINK I’D CALL THAT ELECTIVE

IF BANDED BY THE OCC, ASK FOR ALL PAPERWORK SO YOU CAN USE IT AS A DEDUCTION

I have heard that our lapband surgery can be used as a tax deducation for next year. Does anyone have any information on this? What types of things do we need to save? I was a self pay patient so I used my credit card and paypal account. I do have those receipts. Whenever I go to the OCC for a fill, I do receive a receipt, but it does not have any OCC info on it. Has anyone done this before?

I wrote everything off on my taxes the year I was banded at the OCC. I never heard a peep out of Uncle Sam. I listed everything pertaining to the band and the surgery and came up with a huge amount. In order to write it off, I think it has to excede 7% of your gross income. If I'm wrong, someone please email me and I'll correct this post. You can write off all you expenses that goes along with it. Examples would be,, #1, your surgery, your RT airfare for your surgery, RT car mileage to the airport, fill trips and the RT airfare, Meds, Tolls, Taxi's and tips. Also,, as you lose weight, you can donate your clothes and write that off too,, make sure you do an itemized list and use the values the donation store gives you. They usually have a printed list with values as a guide. If I missed something, same as above, email me and I'll add it to this post. The only negative there is, if you have a large income, it will be hard to meet the 7% rule.

I wrote everything off on my taxes the year I was banded at the OCC. I never heard a peep out of Uncle Sam. I listed everything pertaining to the band and the surgery and came up with a huge amount. In order to write it off, I think it has to excede 7% of your gross income. If I'm wrong, someone please email me and I'll correct this post. You can write off all you expenses that goes along with it. Examples would be,, #1, your surgery, your RT airfare for your surgery, RT car mileage to the airport, fill trips and the RT airfare, Meds, Tolls, Taxi's and tips. Also,, as you lose weight, you can donate your clothes and write that off too,, make sure you do an itemized list and use the values the donation store gives you. They usually have a printed list with values as a guide. If I missed something, same as above, email me and I'll add it to this post. The only negative there is, if you have a large income, it will be hard to meet the 7% rule.

How do you prove how much you paid for mileage, taxi and tips?

How do you prove how much you paid for mileage, taxi and tips?

The IRS knows your going to have some cash out of pocket expenses, but you should have your receipts for all the big stuff.

Here's an example, I live in Western Illinois, I drive to Chicago to fly out to San Diego. My drive is about 320 miles round trip, so,, the IRS has a set deduction of like 25 cents a mile. I also write off the parking fees at the Chicago airport while I'm in San Diego, tolls I had to pay and if I walk across the border and grab a taxi, I write off the $5 for the Bus/Trolley from the airport to the border and another $5 for the MX Taxi, double if its a round trip. Plus my airfare out and back. Ask and get receipts whenever possible.

I forgot to mention in a previous post that when you write off medical expenses. You also write off what you normally spend during a normal year,, like all your dentist bills, prescriptions, your family doctor visits, chiro, eye glasses, etc, etc. If you have insurance for your normal everyday medical, you can only write off what you paid out of your pocket, not what the insurance paid. IT ALL ADDS UP! YOU'LL BE SURPRISED.

Remember,, your trying to beat the 7% gross rule.

Here's another example,, say you went to the OCC for your band and paid $8000. You also had $500 in airfare and say another $100 in mileage to and from the airport, parking, etc. That totals $8600, but you made $100,000.00 this year in salary. Using the 7% rule, you can only write off anything that excides $7000. You spent $8600, so technically you can only write off $1600.

So the key is to write off everything that you spend for medical for the whole year.

I hope this makes it easy for everyone to understand.

SOOOOO Glad you all posted this info. I planned on getting info re: tax write off's & now you answered my questions! THANK YOU!!!!

The IRS knows your going to have some cash out of pocket expenses, but you should have your receipts for all the big stuff.

Here's an example, I live in Western Illinois, I drive to Chicago to fly out to San Diego. My drive is about 320 miles round trip, so,, the IRS has a set deduction of like 25 cents a mile. I also write off the parking fees at the Chicago airport while I'm in San Diego, tolls I had to pay and if I walk across the border and grab a taxi, I write off the $5 for the Bus/Trolley from the airport to the border and another $5 for the MX Taxi, double if its a round trip. Plus my airfare out and back. Ask and get receipts whenever possible.

I forgot to mention in a previous post that when you write off medical expenses. You also write off what you normally spend during a normal year,, like all your dentist bills, prescriptions, your family doctor visits, chiro, eye glasses, etc, etc. If you have insurance for your normal everyday medical, you can only write off what you paid out of your pocket, not what the insurance paid. IT ALL ADDS UP! YOU'LL BE SURPRISED.

Remember,, your trying to beat the 7% gross rule.

Here's another example,, say you went to the OCC for your band and paid $8000. You also had $500 in airfare and say another $100 in mileage to and from the airport, parking, etc. That totals $8600, but you made $100,000.00 this year in salary. Using the 7% rule, you can only write off anything that excides $7000. You spent $8600, so technically you can only write off $1600.

So the key is to write off everything that you spend for medical for the whole year.

I hope this makes it easy for everyone to understand.

My husband takes care of all the tax stuff, I'm clueless it doesn't concern me.

But I asked my husband whats the deal with our medical tax deductions and he said He doesn't dedect anything cause we had to spend $8,500 and then anything after that we could deduct. And most times we don't come close to that amount. However I'm just about up to that with my next fill...

So Would I include my hotel stay too along with all my fills, I flew back & forth twice

And then I have to ask if it comes out to say deducting 900 - 1200, 1500 bucks is it worth it?

Like I said I know nothing about taxes

My husband takes care of all the tax stuff, I'm clueless it doesn't concern me.

But I asked my husband whats the deal with our medical tax deductions and he said He doesn't dedect anything cause we had to spend $8,500 and then anything after that we could deduct. And most times we don't come close to that amount. However I'm just about up to that with my next fill...

So Would I include my hotel stay too along with all my fills, I flew back & forth twice

And then I have to ask if it comes out to say deducting 900 - 1200, 1500 bucks is it worth it?

Like I said I know nothing about taxes

Every dollar you write off over the 7% of your gross is worth it. It all depends on your gross income, the higher your gross, the harder it is to write medical off. I was using the $100,000.00 as an example because it made the math easier to understand, 7% of a $100,000 is $7000. Say you only made $50,000 you'd be able to write everything thing over $3500. Remember, everything that's related counts, airfare, taxi's and etc. All the stuff your family spends normally during the year counts too. Even if you pay part of your insurance premium and your employer pays part of your premium, the part you pay you get to write off. All I can say is that you'll be surprised what it all adds up to in the end.

PS,, I use the Turbo Tax program,, All you got to do is type in the numbers and it will do the rest.

We claimed our bands last year and got a huge amount back. I dont think we will be able to claim the fills, not sure, will be checking on that this year. When I told my friend that I filed for it on my tax return he was so angry he didnt talk to me for 5 days, he had the nerve to say it was elective surgery and it was my own fault I was fat and that the tax payers should not have to pay for it. I hate him for saying that. It was my money that I was getting back. I dont feel bad about it in the least bit. He was just mad I got so much back.

The way to get the most tax benefit out of it, if your employer makes the option available, is to pay for the surgery using a flexible spending account. FSA's allow you to have money held out of each paycheck, before taxes, and then to use that money to pay for medical expenses. Generally, the maximum per person you can set aside is five thousand dollars, but as long as you've signed up to contribute that amount over the course of the year, the entire 5k is available to you on January 1. By using an FSA, the entire amount you spend is tax free. When I had my lap band surgery in '08, I contributed the maximum amount, as did my wife, so my surgery was tax free (not just anything above 7% of my income). The only thing the plan asked for was a signed statement from my doctor saying that the surgery was medically necessary--which Dr. Ortiz was happy to provide.

he had the nerve to say it was elective surgery and it was my own fault I was fat and that the tax payers should not have to pay for it.

Well pooh on him! People get tax deductions for buying a certain type of car, putting energy efficient windows in their house and buying energy efficient furnaces because those items are all helping out with the environment. Well, my lap band is helping out with the environment as well. I eat less therefore I generate less trash and I generate less heat being put into the atmosphere because I have less stuff rubbing together. That last one might have been a little bit of a stretch, but if the government allows tax deductions for elective surgeries and he doesn't like it he is well within his right to contact his congressman. He probably wouldn't like paying for my Medicaid in later years either if I were too obese to work and had to be on assistance. Okay, jumping off of my soap box now.

Every dollar you write off over the 7% of your gross is worth it. It all depends on your gross income, the higher your gross, the harder it is to write medical off. I was using the $100,000.00 as an example because it made the math easier to understand, 7% of a $100,000 is $7000. Say you only made $50,000 you'd be able to write everything thing over $3500. Remember, everything that's related counts, airfare, taxi's and etc. All the stuff your family spends normally during the year counts too. Even if you pay part of your insurance premium and your employer pays part of your premium, the part you pay you get to write off. All I can say is that you'll be surprised what it all adds up to in the end.

PS,, I use the Turbo Tax program,, All you got to do is type in the numbers and it will do the rest.

Thanks cause we never claim any medical deductibles cause its so high BUT this year is another story.

Thanks cause we never claim any medical deductibles cause its so high BUT this year is another story.

REMEMBER TO ALSO KEEP A TAB GOING ON YOUR DEDUCTIBLES AT THE DR AND FOR YOUR RX, THOSE CO PAYS ALONG WITH YOUR SURGERY SHOULD GET YA CLOSE

REMEMBER TO ALSO KEEP A TAB GOING ON YOUR DEDUCTIBLES AT THE DR AND FOR YOUR RX, THOSE CO PAYS ALONG WITH YOUR SURGERY SHOULD GET YA CLOSE

And what about all the money I spent @ Cosmed I'm over 2,000 there.. Right? Can I add that too?

We claimed our bands last year and got a huge amount back. I dont think we will be able to claim the fills, not sure, will be checking on that this year. When I told my friend that I filed for it on my tax return he was so angry he didnt talk to me for 5 days, he had the nerve to say it was elective surgery and it was my own fault I was fat and that the tax payers should not have to pay for it. I hate him for saying that. It was my money that I was getting back. I dont feel bad about it in the least bit. He was just mad I got so much back.

Ya KNOW what, I pay very high property taxes YET the public High school I felt wasn't good enough for MY son's & I sent them to Private school. Yet 60% of my propety taxes goes to the school district. That I won't send my kids to! In MY state I can't write off my kids tutition! I have NO write offs what so ever, NOT even a mortage write off. We own our home. So I really careless what anyone thinks about what I claim on my taxes. And your friend He doesn't KNOW what you pay out! I would question just how much of a friend he is.........

-_-