What should our goal weight be?

Hi everyone!

So I am wondering what my goal weight should be. Like many of you, I have not been thin since childhood, and I really have no idea what I should be shooting for.

I've got a medium build/bone structure and I'm 5'8. I was thinking 170 would be a good weight for me. I've been doing research and it says if I weigh 170, I am still 'overwieght'. I am wondering how real that is. I dont really think I'd be overweight at 170, but according to BMI, and websites, I would be.

I've been looking at a lot of 'weight tickers' on the message boards and a lot of you have your goal weight lower than mine - so I'm wondering if I should really have a goal of about 155lbs or something like that. That would bring my BMI under the 'overweight' to a healthy weight.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading and responding.

Peace,

Maggie

I'm shorter than you (5 foot six)and my goal is 160- ten pounds more than I weighed when I was 13...and I was not fat at 13. I think trying to weigh what I did at 13 is unrealistic, but you never know. I'll still be "slightly" overweight at 160 acccording to the charts, but I think the charts are BS! I'm down from size 22 to a 12/14 so I think I'll be an 8/10 by Xmas and that's fine with me!

Sabrina:)

I never really had much of a goal weight, I was thinking more in terms of a size goal. I was hoping to be a size 12 by the time I had my TT and I was a slightly snug 12 at that time. I also weighed 172.5 at that time and decided that I could probably get down to 160 and be good. Well, I have hit 160 and was still a 12, so I decided to go for 150 in hopes of being a 10. I hit 159 this week and this has also been the week in which I have realized that 12's are now too big for me. I am not sure if it was just my body adjusting its size or if I had more of my swelling go down. I go for a check up on Thursday and will ask if I am still swollent.

So I am debating whether or not to stay where I am at 159/160 and the size 10 or shoot for 150 and still hope to be a size 10. I'll probably ask my plastic surgeon what he thinks as well as my primary doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks. I don't have the bone structure to be a size 8 and am happy where I am at unless I can guarantee that the rest of my weight will only fall off of my butt, back and inner thighs. There is nothing really left on my tummy and my port is literally right under the skin. I doesn't stick out or cause a bump in my clothes, but is right there which is why my slight unfill on Wed. hurt a tiny bit, but nothing bad.

The BMI charts are helpful, but they shouldn't be your sole guide. See how you feel when you get to 170 as well as what size you are. If you are happy there, stay there. Remember, this tool is for life so if you ever do decide you want to go down further you will have the capability to do so.

You know for me I do not rely on BMI. According to mine I should be between 119 and 123 which means I would need to lose at least 25 to 35 more lbs which I just can't see happening. I am now at my weight I was in HS, so what I am doing is continuing to follow the plan and upping my workouts and whatever weight I get to and I feel comfortable i'm sticking with. I think I want to lose 15 more, but if I don't hit that i'm not gonna be too upset. Who knows, maybe when I get there I will feel like I can loose more, but we will cross that bridge when I get to it.

My "goal" on my ticker is the smallest i've been in my adult life so that is what I picked as my first goal. After that i'm just gonna work at it and see where I end up.

That is just my two cents. Good luck!

For me, my goal weight went down as I kept losing the weight and changed my lifestyle. I'm 5'6 and I thought I'd be happy at 175. That’s were my doctor (MD) thought I'd be good at (as he explained it I'm a big boned German girl and my ancestors were hauling large vessels of beer around so I should be bigger) and he has a weird sense of humor....

However since I've gotten into fitness and exercise I kept losing - I do have a doctor and others who work with me on fitness and healthy eating and I’m now at 135. I’m very fit and muscular, extremely lean and surprised that I can weigh this low. I’m not going any lower – and not sure if I can maintain this weight – most likely 145 will become my winter weight (which I was bouncing around at for a while) and 135 will be my summer weight.

I think its great to have goals, however understand that there really is no magic number. I was pretty happy at 175 (my high was 275) but now that feels big to me. But my friend is 180 and looks great and she's 5'7.

I've been doing this for almost 3 years now and my journey has changed so many times already - who knows where I'll be next year! So keep an open mind - watch your body and listen to your friends and family. They are the ones that will be honest with you. (Mine is telling me not to get any thinner so that's my goal - sure is hard during this hot weather)!

Best,

Lisa

Hi

I'm 5'8" and started at 250lbs and a size 20. I know I'm big boned as I have been measured around the wrist.

I now am 160lbs and a size 8/10 my BMI is 24 and I'm very happy here.

I did get lower at 153lbs but I didn't feel healthy and many commented on me looking gaunt and sickly.

My initial goal was 200 and then 180 so to be 160 is fantastic.

You'll know when your done so to speak.

Hi

I'm 5'8" and started at 250lbs and a size 20. I know I'm big boned as I have been measured around the wrist.

I now am 160lbs and a size 8/10 my BMI is 24 and I'm very happy here.

I did get lower at 153lbs but I didn't feel healthy and many commented on me looking gaunt and sickly.

My initial goal was 200 and then 180 so to be 160 is fantastic.

You'll know when your done so to speak.

AND YOU LOOK GREAT NICOLE :)

I too am 5'8 and Im 178 at this time. I never decided on a "goal weight" just a weight that I was comfortable with. I feel that I myself am not yet comfortable at this time, but thats a personal choice. Stop where you are happy and not where some chart tells you you should. Your ideal weight is whatever makes you happy !!

Good luck to you !

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

I think you are all right - I will just wait and see. I think 170 on my body would look great, and if I'm happy with it, I'll stick with it.

I can't wait to hit it!

I hope you are all well and reaching your goals!

Peace,

Maggie