I'm home!

Hi all

So I've been completely unfilled since 6th June, and previously living on soup and protein shakes.

Since my unfill I could not eat any solids without throwing up.

Last Tuesday I saw the Dr here as I don't have the funds to visit TJ and he was able to get an extra .4cc out,

but I could still only do soups which gave me pain in my upper pouch area. The Dr called me at home and sent me for a flouro

appt. My band was really tight even though its unfilled and thankfully not slipped although my pouch has stretched from being too tight.

Apparently even liquids can stretch you out over time if you are too tight.

This weekend I got TOM and OMG I couldn't even keep water down and at night I couldn't swallow my own spit.

Off to the ER where they paged a Bariatic Dr as mine is now on hoilday; he fiddled for quite a while and got another .5cc out. Thay gave me an Iv and

admitted me to monitor the intake of fluids. Yesterday I had another flouro and it had opened a little bit ,but I stayed another night and this morning

I had an endoscopy as they thought maybe a piece of food was stuck like a ballcock. I thought this was funny as the last time I ate solid food was about 4 weeks ago.

It was allclear but very irritated. I now have to follow the post op 21 day liquid diet and take a antacid and see if this will open me up any more.

So my question is does anyone have the lovely 21 day diet they could email me. I know it is calender form now.

Nicole.wallace@shaw.ca

Thanks in advance

wow

wow

wow

...my thoughts are with you through this...best wishes!!

I highly recommend the wonderful potato soup that Kim2bSlim posted awhile ago...it is fabulous. get a hand blender to take care of the chunky stuff (or put in a blender and add chicken broth to smoothen it)

it is wonderful.

Here it is:

My Mom's Homemade Creamy Potato Soup (or Cream of Broccoli)

6 potatoes

1 stick of I can't believe it's not butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 tsp salt (optional)

1/4 tsp pepper (optional)

2 cups Chicken Broth

2 cups fat free (or skim) milk

1/2 cup flour

1 can cream of chicken

Slice 6 potatoes thin, and boil in pot until done. Drain them and take a fork and mash them up as thin as you want them.

In another pot, melt 1 stick of butter, chop onions very thin and saute in butter until onions are done. Add 1/2 cup flour (and salt and pepper if you want) into butter and onions until blended.

Add 1 can cream of chicken soup, 2 cans water, 2 cups chicken broth, and 2 cups milk-whisk often so it won't burn. Cook on Low/Med.

Add mashed potatoes, with wire whisk blend well..Cook about 10 minutes. You can add more milk if it is too thick.

If you would rather have the broccoli version, just add a 16 oz package of frozen broccoli instead of the potatoes.

This makes a huge pot of soup..I eat it for days!

xoxo

Oh Nicole--what an ordeal!! So glad you are OK. Here is the 21-day post op, in case you haven't gotten it yet. My copy is a little dicey, so I'm typing it in this post.

First week: (Day1-7)

Only clear liquids

Fruit juices (no fruit nectars) apple juice, orange and grapefruit juice (no pulp)

Water

Tea (herbal)

Clear broth

Popsicles

Coffee (w/non-dairy creamer)

NO CARBONATED DRINKS FOR 6 MONTHS

Drink no more than half a cup each time, take small sips.

Drink only what you can. Do not force feed,

Second and third week: (Days 8-21)

Day 8. Begin with nonfat yogurt 1/2 cup servings. Liquid form. No pieces of fruit in it.

Day 10: Add liquid protein to the regimen. At least 30g of protein/day.

(Examples of protein drinks than can be used: Met Mrx and Isopure (both at GNC), Carb Solutions, EAS, Designer Whey Protein, Body for Life Protein (can be obtained at www.bodyforlife.com), Glucerna, Slim Fast Optima, Optifast.

I hope this helps you. Please take care!! Diana

So sorry you are having to go through that! I sure hope you are feeling better and it heals up for you!

Keep us up to date please!

Wow Nicole, I hope you are feeling better.

I was surprised to hear that your doctors were able to get an additional 0.9cc out of your "unfilled" band within the last week. Just another tidbit of information to add to our increasing inventory of information, "unfilled" does not necessarily mean "unfilled." That seems like a lot of fluid to still have in your band when you thought you were unfilled and when you had been having problems with irritation and such.

I knew about the fluids stretching your pouch if you were too tight. Someone else posted about it before but it is good to have it confirmed again by another doctor.

My 21 Day diet is a year old (March/08) but is pretty much the same as Diana's. My list says fruit juice should be diluted with water by half and the list includes Gatorade, and Protein water. It also gives a range of days to add yogurt (day 4-8) and a range for liquid protein shakes (day 6-10). And the range for creamy soup (no chunks) is day 7-11. With the "if you can't drink it, don't eat it" warning! I blended when I was on liquids but I have heard the newer information says that we are not supposed to.

Take care. I hope they have your band really empty this time so that you can heal and get that irritation under control.

Dawn

Hi all

So I've been completely unfilled since 6th June, and previously living on soup and protein shakes.

Since my unfill I could not eat any solids without throwing up.

Last Tuesday I saw the Dr here as I don't have the funds to visit TJ and he was able to get an extra .4cc out,

but I could still only do soups which gave me pain in my upper pouch area. The Dr called me at home and sent me for a flouro

appt. My band was really tight even though its unfilled and thankfully not slipped although my pouch has stretched from being too tight.

Apparently even liquids can stretch you out over time if you are too tight.

This weekend I got TOM and OMG I couldn't even keep water down and at night I couldn't swallow my own spit.

Off to the ER where they paged a Bariatic Dr as mine is now on hoilday; he fiddled for quite a while and got another .5cc out. Thay gave me an Iv and

admitted me to monitor the intake of fluids. Yesterday I had another flouro and it had opened a little bit ,but I stayed another night and this morning

I had an endoscopy as they thought maybe a piece of food was stuck like a ballcock. I thought this was funny as the last time I ate solid food was about 4 weeks ago.

It was allclear but very irritated. I now have to follow the post op 21 day liquid diet and take a antacid and see if this will open me up any more.

So my question is does anyone have the lovely 21 day diet they could email me. I know it is calender form now.

Nicole.wallace@shaw.ca

Thanks in advance

Omg Nicole, I am so sorry you have to go through all of this! I really hope things turn around in short order - it sounds like this has been a really difficult period of time. I am getting my band on the 19th and swing between being completely elated to completely terrified of life immediately after...

As far as I understand the first week is clear fluids followed by a week of full liquids then onto mushy/runny stuff but maybe someone else will enlighten both of us if I am incorrect.

I notice you are from Okotoks - I am in Airdrie, so nice to see a familiar location on here! Who do you go to for fills? It was my understanding we could go to Descouteaux (spelling?) but that he is leaving now. I have also heard Dr. Mitchell isn't so great and that Dr. Botha doesn't accept patients from Mexico...I would be really interested in hearing from you regarding all of this.

I really hope you are feeling better soon Nicole!

Jen :-h

Thanx Guys

I feel better being in my own home and with my kids. Its lucky that it happened this week as I run a dayhome, but took this week off for our holidays.

The weather put paid to our plans and luckily my hubbie was around for our children.

Pammie, I think it has just been the swelling that has caused the problems even though I have been on soups I think they were too thick and thats why I have to do the whole post op plan again.

Jen, Yep my Dr is Dr Descouteaux but he left Friday for BC so his collegue took me on. I know there is a lady Dr in Calgary shes new. I'll find out from Calgarylapbanders group on yahoo for you.

The Dr at the ER played around for a while to get the extra.5cc out he said he was probably collapsing the tubing ,but we had to try everthing.

I knew the postop plan had changed so thankyou for giving it to me. I've stocked up on apple juice, broth, vit water and popsicles for the next week and I'll use the soup recipe for sure. I have tons of

protein shakes so that is not a problem.

I pray this works as I am feeling unhealthy not being able to eat fruits and veg; heck food fullstop.

Yalk tomorrow.

Just adding another "Wow!" I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through such an ordeal. It's great that you don't have a slip, so hopefully the swelling will go down and you'll get past this stage for good.

I look forward to hearing that things are finally resolving for you!

Hey Nicole, I have been on the board for a while as I just started a new job but oh my gosh! So you know how you and I always seemed to be too tight together? I had ONE fill on May 5th and have had 3 unfills since. July 23rd I had to have it all taken out. I haven't posted because I don't want to scare people! It's so weird. Now I have gained a few lbs back but for the most part all day it still feels like I have a medium fill. I have PB'd twice since the total unfill and often get food stuck. What the heck?? I am so glad that you are ok! I hope the liquid diet does the trick for you. I have been trying hard not to overeat in the evenings as that is when I am looser of course. I didn't realize they could "squeeze" out more cc's than you thought you had. Maybe I do have a little left. I am so glad that you did not have a slip. Hang in there!!!! How crazy that we are both so close to goal and this keeps happening? I wonder why???

Karen