Introduction

Hi everyone. I have been reading your posts and just wanted to introduce myself. I have been researching the lap band surgery and am 99% sure that I am going to do it.

I am 51 years old and been overweight all my life. I am 5 feet 6 inches tall and my highest weight was 317. I now weight 297.

For those of you out there who have had to lose over 100 pounds how have you found the journey and how long did it take you to lose the weight?

I live on Vancovuer Island and would have to fly down for the surgery so would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had the lap band on Vancouver Island and where you are getting your fills done.

Also did any of you from Canade use Medical Edge weight loss to help you with flights and taxes. Apparently their web site says they will help you organize everything and it is easier to go through them than book things yourself with Dr. Ortiz. The president of the company says he and his wife had surgery by Dr. Ortiz and want to help other Canadians. Just curious if anyone used them.

Okay I quess now that I have asked a million questions for my first post i will sit back and wait for some reponces.

Thanks for sharing all of your stories , the information has been very helpful to me. :)

Hi, Revy. Can't help you much on the Canadian front, however - I too have more than 100lbs to lose and what I've learned so far in this process is you have to really make a commitment to change your life. I had the surgery, didn't really make the commitment and it took almost a year and a half for me to get back to where I was going to the doctor again.

I would encourage anyone who has dealt with weight issues to consider this - I think if you have over 100 lbs to lose it's an ideal, safe way to do it.

- Simone

(GOOD LUCK!!)

RevyD

Welcome to the board.. You will find some WONDERFUL friends here and great information. I havent lost the 100lbs yet but I am working very hard to get there!

Good Luck to you!

Carrie

... and Carrie - holy smokes, you're looking GREAT!!

Hi, Revy. Can't help you much on the Canadian front, however - I too have more than 100lbs to lose and what I've learned so far in this process is you have to really make a commitment to change your life. I had the surgery, didn't really make the commitment and it took almost a year and a half for me to get back to where I was going to the doctor again.

I would encourage anyone who has dealt with weight issues to consider this - I think if you have over 100 lbs to lose it's an ideal, safe way to do it.

- Simone

(GOOD LUCK!!)

I'm in Vancouver and there is a fill doctor at St.Paul's Hospital who has a band himself. There's also an mD in Surrey who will do fills for out-of-town patients. Ifyou decide on the surgery, you can email me for contact info. I also try to get to the Lap Band surgery meeting at Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver once per month and you are always welcome. If you walk on teh ferry from Nanaimo, I can even pick you up for it! I don't know about the medical company as I arranged my surgery myself and it was very simple.

Sabrina:)

Hello RevyD,

I received my band on 10/6/2006

I’m done with my journey – lost 140 pounds from my high. It took me about 18 months to reach my first goal, and I lost about 85 to 95 pounds the first year and then the rest came off throughout the second year. (I never thought I’d lose 140 pounds, around 100 was my goal - however I really got into exercise and fitness and I continue to change my body). Along with the help of PS....

I’m 47 so I’m a baby boomer like you. It’s been great; I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Ortiz and his staff at the clinic. I'm live outside Seattle, so I'm in the NW as well.

Best,

Lisa

Medical Edge: andrew is legit. I met him and he is very nice. I don't know much about the service but if he can help you get the out of country medical reimbursement and medical tax credit it may be worthwhile.

If you can book your travel on line etc, it is simple to do it yourself.

Hi Carrie. Thanks for the welcome. Your pictures sure tell the story. You are looking fabulous! Any advice for someone preparing to take the plunge :D

RevyD

RevyD,

Thank you!

I remember when I made the choice, there was not stopping me. I think I drove everyone around me crazy! That is all I talked about. I think the biggest advice I can give you is research and educate yourself with everything you can about the bad. Read the pros and cons of the bad. Make sure you understand what changes you are going to have to make, what foods and drinks you will have to give up. Ask yourself why you are doing this, search deep. I think this is what helped me so much. I did not go get the band and say ok whats next.....The more you are aware of what is going to happen and what you will have to deal with, the better off you will do! This board of FULL of information and very helpful people that will answer all of your questions.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Carrie