Anything Unexpected?

Good morning, everyone!

I was just wondering....I know, like myself, that you all did extensive research before jumping into this journey. For those that have already been banded, was there anything that was unexpected? I've read posts of "play-by-plays" of the entire experience. Did any of you read those and then when your experience time came, you thought, "Oh...THIS wasn't mentioned" or something along those lines?

Thanks

Charelle ;)

Hi!

I think the biggest thing for me was I had it in my mind that I could get the band, eat what I wanted to, just in smaller portions and the weight was going to fall off. I could not have been more WRONG. The band is the tool, it does not police what goes into your mouth, just the amount. You still can eat very bad things that will prevent you from loosing the weight. I am aware of the calories of everything I put in my mouth and I HAVE to stay away from fast foods, breaded, fried, pastas, anything fattening. Everyone is different, some people may can eat what they still did just in smaller portions, but for me, it does not work like that. I also exercise at least 3-4 days a week for about an hour at a time and the only drink that I pretty much drink is Flavored water and protien shakes. Again everyone is different. If I had to do it over, I would do it in a heart beat. I am more heathly with food and exercise than I have ever been in my life. I have a sister who has always been "the diet queen"...lol and I always have told her you could walk by her fridge and loose 10 pounds. She stated to me the other day, who would have thought that you know have became the "diet queen"!....It was pretty funny!

Good Luck to you!

Carrie

Good morning, everyone!

I was just wondering....I know, like myself, that you all did extensive research before jumping into this journey. For those that have already been banded, was there anything that was unexpected? I've read posts of "play-by-plays" of the entire experience. Did any of you read those and then when your experience time came, you thought, "Oh...THIS wasn't mentioned" or something along those lines?

Thanks

Charelle ;)

Slimming took on a entire new meaning once I experienced it for the first time. I read how thick the "spit" was but let me tell ya, I was taken back.

Wrapping my head around my head hunger, and the emotions that are involved.

When you get something "stuck" and the people around you want you to talk to them. All I can do is swallow and walk. I've had a hard time verbalizing much. I manage to get a few words out, so they won't get to alramed. My husband now understands it is difficult for me to speak and I am really okay. It has to pass.

Learning to listen to my body, sensing when I am getting full before the I ate one bit to much and I feel uncomfortable.

When eating a favorite food, not being able to eat a big protion before the soft stop comes. (Even after feeling the sign, still wanting to take "just one more bit." Put the fork down! LOL

I am not sure if this is along the lines of what you were asking for, but they have been my learning points.

Slimming took on a entire new meaning once I experienced it for the first time. I read how thick the "spit" was but let me tell ya, I was taken back.

Wrapping my head around my head hunger, and the emotions that are involved.

When you get something "stuck" and the people around you want you to talk to them. All I can do is swallow and walk. I've had a hard time verbalizing much. I manage to get a few words out, so they won't get to alramed. My husband now understands it is difficult for me to speak and I am really okay. It has to pass.

Learning to listen to my body, sensing when I am getting full before the I ate one bit to much and I feel uncomfortable.

When eating a favorite food, not being able to eat a big protion before the soft stop comes. (Even after feeling the sign, still wanting to take "just one more bit." Put the fork down! LOL

I am not sure if this is along the lines of what you were asking for, but they have been my learning points.

Haha so true. It is so hard to put the fork down but it is a MUST or you are in for some pain.

Thank you, Ladies! This is exactly what I'm looking for! So, I'll watch out for the slime & hard consequence if I attempt to eat too much, and that I really need to watch what's going in my mouth! Still...I'm excited!

I have to note, I'm a little intimidated by all these beautiful people and the progress!! I almost feel like you all are an infomercial and I want to be just like you, but when I get it home, I end up not looking as awesome!! :lol: You are my PX90 commerical!

I'm anxious & determined to live my life as the "after" picture. I CAN'T WAIT!!

By the way, how much does the pre-op diet prepare you for what's to come?

Hi everyone. This was good info for me as well as I am being banded Sept 29th.

I have heard it mentioned a few times on the boards about " the sign". Watch for the sign when you are eating and then stop don't take another bite.

What exactly does that mean. Can anyone explain to me what the sign is?

Thanks

Charelle-

This is a really good question and about the only question I did not ask. I did an incredible amount of research prior to selecting this procedure and Dr. Ortiz. So far, I am very pleased with my decision. I was banded July 31st, have been on food for almost a week. I have lost 30.5 lbs since I made the decision to get banded in June - 11 on preop, 11.5 postop. I selected #2 preop diet and did it for 2 weeks. It was a nice step before the liquid diet and helping me make better decisions now. I'm glad I did it and didn't cheat. The 2 things I was not prepared for were the extreme bloating after and the mental hunger - it's been a roller coaster. I was a bit depressed the 1st week, which I hear is normal. I'm fine now. Being on liquids for 3 weeks is very difficult mentally. The mind is a powerful thing, so I opted to see a therapist who specializes in WLS. The feeling 2-10 days after surgery for me was one of hunger, yet extreme fullness (from the bloating), and a sore belly, all at the same time. It was frustrating and the only thing that got me through it was knowing it was temporary.

So far so good. Congrats! :)

My sign that I have had enough is hiccuping. When that happens after only a bite or two, I stop and wait - sometimes as long as an 1/2 hour, then finish my eating. If it comes after I am almost thru, I stop and don't eat any more. Also, if I get a "lump" in my chest - one that is not hurting, but I can feel it, I DON'T take another bite or it will hurt like hell. Those are my two signs. I go in for a 3rd fill the end of October and hopefully I will get a "full" sign from that. Right now, I rely on my will power to stop.

Judi

The biggest unexpected for me is the noise that my pouch makes. It’s so much closer to your mouth that people can hear it – it’s the strangest thing and hard to explain sometimes - its not like gurgling - its really heard to explain and its not like other people make this noise. I was sitting next to a lady at a conference and she had the noise - I just looked at her - smiled and whispered "hello banster". She started cracking up.

The biggest unexpected for me is the noise that my pouch makes. It’s so much closer to your mouth that people can hear it – it’s the strangest thing and hard to explain sometimes - its not like gurgling - its really heard to explain and its not like other people make this noise. I was sitting next to a lady at a conference and she had the noise - I just looked at her - smiled and whispered "hello banster". She started cracking up.

Oh my! This is the first I'm reading of the "noise"! Does this just happen randomly, or is there some action involved? Thanks for the info!

Funny story on that note. Had to go and have my hearing checked with an audiologist b/c of some ringing in my ear. She put me in a sound proof room and we both wore head phones so that she could communicate with me since she was on the other side of the wall. I had to press a button every time I heard a faint tone that she produced -- all I could hear was my pouch draining and making that sound that reminds me of a clogged slow drain pipe. I was so sure that she could hear it also that I was completely distracted for a part of the test. My pouch continued to make the noise the entire appt. time. I could just imagine what that doctor was thinking! Just thought I would share.

dawn

I would like to get more info on the pouch making sounds as well. Does this happen often or only once in awhile. Is it embarrassing?

I had not heard anywhere about a side affect like this.

Ok for me, when I eat and I know not to take another bit is almost like when you are eating now and you are VERY full and you just cant eat another bit, HOWEVER, in the past I would keep eating. NOW if I get that feeling that I am full, I stop, even if I am in the middle of chewing and food in my mouth, I spit it out! If I do swallow it or keep eating, my food will get stuck. I will slim, which is, for me, almost like your mouth watering but REALLY thick and clear. It will do this to try to lube the food to get it to go down. If I slim, my food is REALLY stuck. Sometimes it takes 15 mins to pass or I have had it take up to 1 hour and half to pass. Like Lisa said the band is very high, you feel it almost right between your breast just a little higher. When I slim, my band does start to "gurgle" sometimes its louder than others but mine is really not too loud. Its sounds and feels almost like your stomach growling, but is your "band" ..wow this is harder to explain than I thought....lol. This biggest advise that I can give you is take your time and chew your food really good. The first time I got "stuck" was when I got really lax and had just made the statement, I dont even feel like I have a band, and it reminded me REAL quick..uhmm yes Maam you do!...I thought I was going to DIE! It hurt really bad, double over holding my chest praying that it will go down and WHATEVER you do, do not drink to make it pass, OMGoshhh, It will only make it get stuck even more!

There is several people who does not slim, but PBs, which means productive burping. This has only happend to me once and I hope it does not EVER again. I felt like I had to burp (this is gross, but you need to know) and when I did burb, the food came up into my mouth. It was a shock, I just needed to let a little burp out, up it came! There are some people who also when they slim, that it is automatic that they will have to throw up. Everyone is so different, you will learn it, but trust me it is going to have to happen for you to truely understand and know what to do and not to do, what to eat and not to eat, when to eat it and not to eat it. (time of the day). Your band will be tighter in the moring than night. It took me until my second fill to really be able to have good restriction. Something else that is Very strange to me, is it is very hard for me to determine if I am hungry. Before being banding, my tummy would growl and you know the hunger pains, well now, my left shoulder will have a pain in it when I am hungry. My tummy never really hurts anymore. Weird I know! OK enough rambling for now!

I hope this helps. This is my situation and others may not experience what I do.

Good Luck to all of you!

Carrie

Oh my! This is the first I'm reading of the "noise"! Does this just happen randomly, or is there some action involved? Thanks for the info!

I burp A LOT. It is ofen hard to do it quietly haha so I walk away and do it when no one is around. Also, I learned this last week. I am one of those who spits up a lot. Do not attempt to spit up and swallow. I was at a dinner with a friend and didn't want to get up so I just swallowed it. Arg, it hurt, I could barely make it to the bathroom in fear of spitting up on myself.

- you can still eat whatever you want ....

- restriction takes awhile - like 6 months. i thought i'd feel it within my first fill, with it NOT the case at all.

- it's a very slow process for the majority of us

- eating a 'meal' takes at least 30 minutes now

- burping & forcing myself to burp to get rid of that gagging feeling

- fills for me are $150 EACH.

You'll need at least 4 - so budget it in.

Chances are you won't be returning back to TJ for your fills, so make sure you've sourced it out LOCAL to where you live BEFORE you have the surgery, including the expense.

This is a big one, as there are tons of people who get the surgery, and then can't afford the fills!

- you can still eat whatever you want ....

- restriction takes awhile - like 6 months. i thought i'd feel it within my first fill, with it NOT the case at all.

- it's a very slow process for the majority of us

- eating a 'meal' takes at least 30 minutes now

- burping & forcing myself to burp to get rid of that gagging feeling

- fills for me are $150 EACH.

You'll need at least 4 - so budget it in.

Chances are you won't be returning back to TJ for your fills, so make sure you've sourced it out LOCAL to where you live BEFORE you have the surgery, including the expense.

This is a big one, as there are tons of people who get the surgery, and then can't afford the fills!

Thanks, Lindsay.

My plan is to see if I can actually go back to TJ for the fills. There's a fill center about 1/5 hrs away, and TJ is about 4 hrs away. I think if I make a long weekend out of it, I'd rather go to TJ so they can do the x-ray thing (whatever it's really called) for a cost & then the fill. I've read that fills outside OCC are more expensive. I'm trying to remind myself that *hopefully* it will take the 3 or 4 times & that's it. I go out to eat during lunch every day, so I'm hoping the savings from not doing that anymore will off-set the fill cost.

I'm actually scared of the burp thing! This may sound strange, but I have no idea how to burp! My sister can't either!!! I kinda giggle at the thought of being 34 and FINALLY know what it feels like to actually burp...if it does happen for me!

Thanks, Lindsay.

My plan is to see if I can actually go back to TJ for the fills. There's a fill center about 1/5 hrs away, and TJ is about 4 hrs away. I think if I make a long weekend out of it, I'd rather go to TJ so they can do the x-ray thing (whatever it's really called) for a cost & then the fill. I've read that fills outside OCC are more expensive. I'm trying to remind myself that *hopefully* it will take the 3 or 4 times & that's it. I go out to eat during lunch every day, so I'm hoping the savings from not doing that anymore will off-set the fill cost.

I'm actually scared of the burp thing! This may sound strange, but I have no idea how to burp! My sister can't either!!! I kinda giggle at the thought of being 34 and FINALLY know what it feels like to actually burp...if it does happen for me!

Well, if you are like me that will not be a problem! I was NEVER able to burp and now I can let them rip just like my brothers! :mellow:

And for me it is the hiccup too. That or I get a pain right in the middle of my chest. Everyone is so different and that is one of the fun parts of this is figuring that all out with your body.

For me, the pre op diet really didn't help a ton to prep me. The 21 days is tough, but the fear of messing up your band keeps you going. The first week was nothing to me b/c I was really sore and gassy and just really didn't feel like eating. The 2nd week was more tough but I lost quite a few lbs so the motivation was there. The 3rd week was really tough, but it was more head hunger b/c I knew I was going to get to eat and chew again!

I've said this before but I totally mean it. If I can do this anyone can! I had those same fears that I wouldn't have the success that others I saw on here did but i'm getting there. Just take baby steps and take it day by day making good choices and don't be too hard on yourself if you have a bad food day. I slowly worked into working out and also make good food choices, but still live my life and have stuff when I want it in moderation. It is a lifestyle change not a diet and that mind frame will help you a lot!

Funny story on that note. Had to go and have my hearing checked with an audiologist b/c of some ringing in my ear. She put me in a sound proof room and we both wore head phones so that she could communicate with me since she was on the other side of the wall. I had to press a button every time I heard a faint tone that she produced -- all I could hear was my pouch draining and making that sound that reminds me of a clogged slow drain pipe. I was so sure that she could hear it also that I was completely distracted for a part of the test. My pouch continued to make the noise the entire appt. time. I could just imagine what that doctor was thinking! Just thought I would share.

dawn

That is hilarious!!!! I've never had anyone hear mine, but I sure do! Mine is when i'm just a bit too tight, but not too tight to get stuck that my tummy does that. I ate some cheese and crackers a little too early in the day the other day and mine was doing that. I like it - shows me I have some restriction! I always worry that people are gonna hear mine! :o

Also, I am sorry I did not write this with my post so I wanted to post this as well.....Sometimes I get stuck in the fact that my glass is ALWAYS empty, trying to change that attitude about myself!

Things I did not expect......

I did not expect to "find" myself again. I think I have smoothered myself in food and my own unhappiness, I forgot who I was.....

I did not expect to become the biggest "Health Nut" that I know! ME a "Heath Nut" ..."WHATEVER!!!!...but its true! :rolleyes:

I never expected to look at someone elses plate and think "WOW that is alot of food, are they really gonna eat all of that"

I never expected to ask for a "to go box" with EVERY kids meal I order, when I order them.

I did not expect to be able to exercise and uhmmm...shhh ..kinda like it! ;)

I NEVER thought I would be able to wrap a towel around my self, even the "normal" towels, dont have to buy beach towels any longer! Did not think that would be a big deal, but that is an AWESOME feeling!

I NEVER expected to be able to wear Size 12 Jeans in Nine Months! :P

I NEVER EXPECTED to be able to do this, make it through the pre-op, make it through the 21 days on liquid, But I did and Like Shelby said, if we can do it, anyone can do it!

I could go on and on, but the biggest one yet is, Honestly I never EXPECTED that I could be this HAPPY with MYSELF!

Good Luck to you!

Carrie

ok...my "sign" is a WEIRD one...lol. If I am either at that point...where I need to stop eating or I have taken one bite too many...I start sweating just a little bit...but under my eyes!! hahaha I know...it is weird...and I have no idea why...but it happens every time!!