Hi there

In 3 days i will be going to get all my tests done before they schedule my surgery. Im so excited i can't hardly wait :) I guess i could tell you a lil something about myself. I am 34 years old and am married with 3 children. I hit 200 lbs in the 10th grade. 3 years ago i hit 302, i had to do something. I had diabetes and was miserable. I started the atkins diet along with my husband and in 1 year i lost 100 lbs. My husband lost 85. I could not for the life of me get under 200 and since then have gained 35 back. My husband was and still is very successfull with it. I found a weightloss center and have been ok'd for the lapband. Anyone have any suggestions or words of encouragment?

Thanks in advance:)

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

:lb5:

You have found a wonderful place to talk to people.

I was banded in May and let me tell you, my world has changed so much.

The band is such an awesome tool!

With the right attitude and hard work, and let me tell you, this band is hard work,

you will excel. I set lots of mini goals and reward myself for my hard work.

A positive attitude is key.

Good luck with your surgery. :cheerleader:

Also keep us posted.

Kristi

Welcome,

You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. It is amazing how much encouragement and/or confirmation you will receive from others.

This is an exciting time.

Anne

Am i the only lucky one who's insurance is paying 100%?

Ok, so we all hate you now....LOL. Just joking of course!! Congrats on the insurance. Mine had too many hoops, restrictions, and waiting periods so I didn't mess with it. When I decided I was ready and I would have had to wait a year under a physician supervised weight loss program, paying out of my own pocket. Oh, and I would have had to gain 25 lbs before entering the program because I would have been required to lose at least 10% of my body weight which would have put me under the BMI cutoff. It was stupid.

I am so happy for you!!!!

Am i the only lucky one who's insurance is paying 100%?

You are the only one I have ever heard of. Just curious, any single men at the place that offers this wonderful of an insurance plan? Just kidding, I have no plans to move to CA.

There have been some who had their insurance pay for the surgery - from what I know they don't take insurance at the OCC, however you can take your bill and submit it to your insurance Co. to see if you can be reimbursed for the surgery.

Also you can talk to them (your insurance company) ahead of time if Lap band surgery is on the approved surgeries to see if they will approve of surgery at the OCC.

It’s never a given but it doesn’t hurt to try.

First...welcome to the group and congrats!!!! Second, damn am I jealous!!! :) My insurance would have paid 80% I think it was and I completely qualified except I hadn't worked at my job for 3 years...WTF??!!! I wasn't about to wait another year to get it done so I just sucked it up. Luckily my lender (aka Dad) provides an interest free loan! :)

Best advice I can give you is to look through here a lot and read all the threads as far back as you can. There is lots of good information here!!

Congrats!

Im having mine at the weight loss center in beverly hills

Are you going to Dr. Ortiz? Hope you're getting the best of both worlds, getting 100% insurance and having Dr. Ortiz as you physician.

Congrats!

Lisa

Ok so i went for my pre op testing. Everything went well till the ultrasound. They said i have gall stones so i have to have my gall bladder removed before i can go forward with the banding :( Its not to terrible at least i will still get the band :) Wish me luck having 2 surgery's in 1 month :)

Ok so i went for my pre op testing. Everything went well till the ultrasound. They said i have gall stones so i have to have my gall bladder removed before i can go forward with the banding :( Its not to terrible at least i will still get the band :) Wish me luck having 2 surgery's in 1 month :)

then you will have everything all taken care of and have no worries!! I think it is great! :)

I work for a beer distribution center in california and My insurance is called WBDIT which is for beer distributors only.

That is really awesome.

I have good insurance. BCBS PPO. I paid $300 out of pocket for a $20,000 breast reduction a few years back.

But I guess my luck ran out there. They don't cover the lap-band for the treatment of obesity. ??? They will cover it if I have uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension, etc...

Hello??? That's what I'm trying to avoid!

I'm seriously considering organizing a class-action against insurance companies for endangering the health of motivated patients. Really pisses me off.

But I don't want to jinx myself, because the more I read, the happier I am that I went to Dr. Ortiz - insurance or not!

Well i have lost 100 lbs and regained 2 times already so they have medical proof that my weight is causeing my diabetes :( I don't know if that is making a difference or not but i am just happy i have the insurance i have :)