I have officially entered BandLand!!!

I was banded Tuesday, September 8th by Dr. Ortiz. Everything went amazingly well, and I met some great people. I am excited to start on this journey. I am only a little sore, and don't have too much gas from the procedure. I feel very fortunate that everything went so well; I hope this is a good sign of the things to come! :)

I do have some questions for the experienced!

**How much can you drink at a time? Is there such thing as too much water?

**I have twin 2 year olds, and it is killing me not be able to pick them up. How long do I need to wait before picking them up?

**The nutritionist gave me some paper work with the liquid diet info, and on it - it mentioned no abdominal work. Does that mean forever? or just temporarily? and if so, how long!?

Thank you in advance!

Jessica

What do you mean by abdominal work? I too have wondered if there is such a thing as drinking too much. Obviously not with meals, but other than that?

I'm scheduled for 9/25.... starting to freak out!

abdominal work outs I meant to say :)

I was totally freaking out last week, but have no fear!!! You will do great! The worst part was being away from my two little angels.

I was banded Tuesday, September 8th by Dr. Ortiz. Everything went amazingly well, and I met some great people. I am excited to start on this journey. I am only a little sore, and don't have too much gas from the procedure. I feel very fortunate that everything went so well; I hope this is a good sign of the things to come! :)

**I have twin 2 year olds, and it is killing me not be able to pick them up. How long do I need to wait before picking them up?

**The nutritionist gave me some paper work with the liquid diet info, and on it - it mentioned no abdominal work. Does that mean forever? or just temporarily? and if so, how long!?

Thank you in advance!

Jessica

Jessica welcome to bandland! Glad to hear your surgery weent well and you have little soreness or gas! When I was banded in April they told me my weight limit was 20 lbs. My son at that time was 20lbs so I lifted him and cared for him like normal. Your kiddo's a bigger than what my son was, so I am pretty sure they are both over 20 lbs. I would limit your lifting and carrying for a couple weeks at least.

Your pouch can hold 1/2 cup to 1 cup. So if you are drinking you can gage from that. I would drink like normal. That is what I did. Not big drinks or gulps. No chugging. Normal drinks.

As for abdominal work. No sit ups or major ab work for 6 weeks to 3 months. That is what they told me.

Hope this helps!

My kids were three and five when I was post-op and they came down with stomach flu and I had to pick them up to run them to the toilet a couple times when the "barf bowl" wasn't near enough. I was SO freaked out about the lifting and also getting their flu but everything turned out fine. Just try your best not to lift them if you can avaoid it-give them lots of cuddles instead!!!

Sabrina:)

You will know if you are drinking too much or too fast...it will either not feel good...or come right back up. I suck/chew on ice all day. I know some will give me a hard time about ice and the teeth...but I like it and I get my fluids in! :D

Jessica, :lb10:

Your journey is just beggining..

As for drinking, take small sips all the time to keep yourself hydrated and as much water as possible. I also still love to chew ice to help with water intake...

Ab workouts, it took me about 1 1/2-2 months to be able to do crunches without any issues, but now at 3 months out, they are no problems whatsoever...

Since my kids are 10 & 14, I don't lift them anymore, so I cannot answer that.

Keep us updated,

Kristi :)

Congrats I am so glad it went well! It has been almost a year for me, but I was told to pretty much just keep drinking all day during that first 7 days and just sip. Once you are on creamy soups I was told 1 cup at a time, but honestly I couldn't eat that much until right before I went back on solids. I was told no ab work for 6 mos but that probably has changed. I do mostly cardio anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

In terms of the little ones my niece was 3 so she could get around well herself. I told her I had ouchies on my tummie and that I needed her to help me and that I couldn't pick her up and she understood. Her dad was able to lift her for baths and stuff. The hardest for me was grocery shopping! That and cleaning the house.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Thank you in advance!

Jessica

I think you will find that before you have a couple of fills, you don't have to worry too much about the water amount. I have had 1 fill since my surgery July 7th, and I can still drink water just the same as I did before. But it is a good idea to start "practicing" with the chewing of food and drinking in sips to prepare yourself for later on.

As for abdominal exercise, like crunches, I heard 6 months. I don't do crunches, so it isn't an issue for me, but what IS an issue is swimming. I used to swim a few laps almost daily and but I have cut back because now I really pay a price. I get extremely painful muscle cramps or spasims around my port for 2 days after a swim. I asked Dr. So about it when I got my fill because it scared me. He said that because the port is in the muscle, it can hurt when you work those abdominal muscles. I hope as time goes by the pain will get less severe after a swim, but for now I am just going to swim less. In time I'm sure this will improve.

Red