post op

matilda617

Hi-

This is my first entry as I am really considering the procedure and trying to find out as much as I can. Did you feel the urge to eat solid food before your fill? I am so afraid that I would not be able to stick to it because I haven't been able to stick with any diet. I'm also getting a lot of negativity from my mother (although I am 45) about this- she just doesn't understand that nothing else has worked for me and I am unhappy.

Thank you!

Leah (fattie) :(

Hi-

This is my first entry as I am really considering the procedure and trying to find out as much as I can. Did you feel the urge to eat solid food before your fill? I am so afraid that I would not be able to stick to it because I haven't been able to stick with any diet. I'm also getting a lot of negativity from my mother (although I am 45) about this- she just doesn't understand that nothing else has worked for me and I am unhappy.

Thank you!

Leah (fattie) :(

Hi Leah,

I'm 12 days post-op. First, let me tell you that you are on a liquid diet for 21 days after surgery. Afterward, you are allowed to eat "regular" food. Your fill won't be for 6-8 weeks after surgery, so there are a few weeks in between your post-op diet and fill time. Do I want to cheat? Absolutely! BUT, I remind myself that this is short term. I'm almost through the 21 day liquids, and I don't want to do anything to stretch my pouch or harm my healing process in any way. You will lose weight in your first couple of weeks, and a lot of people have said (me included) that you're not hungry in the first week after surgery.

Hang in there! We're all here to support you! You've found a great board and a great support system here. GOOD LUCK!!

all the best,

Honestly for me the first week or so food just didn't even sound good so it wasn't an issue. The hardest for me was not chewing and then those last few days were tough but that was b/c I knew solids were coming soon. I did eat some mashed potatoes about 3 days before my 21 days were over, but other than that did not cheat.

You will be so scared that you will mess something up that you will not want to cheat. The urge will be there, but I know for me I was too afraid that I would hurt the band so I didn't do it. Also, the weight loss keeps you motivated to keep to the rules.

Hi Leah,

I'm 12 days post-op. First, let me tell you that you are on a liquid diet for 21 days after surgery. Afterward, you are allowed to eat "regular" food. Your fill won't be for 6-8 weeks after surgery, so there are a few weeks in between your post-op diet and fill time. Do I want to cheat? Absolutely! BUT, I remind myself that this is short term. I'm almost through the 21 day liquids, and I don't want to do anything to stretch my pouch or harm my healing process in any way. You will lose weight in your first couple of weeks, and a lot of people have said (me included) that you're not hungry in the first week after surgery.

Hang in there! We're all here to support you! You've found a great board and a great support system here. GOOD LUCK!!

all the best,

Thanks for the reply! Was it painful? Can you feel the band in your stomach?

Thanks again- Leah

Thanks for the reply! Was it painful? Can you feel the band in your stomach?

Thanks again- Leah

Hi Leah,

I guess it wasn't a pain I expected to feel. I felt like I did 100 sit-ups. Not 1000, mind you, but 100. So, my muscles were sore, especially near the port area, but not a real PAIN. I think the band rests closer to your chest/sternum area because every once in a while, I'd feel tightening in my chest or maybe what felt a little like heartburn? Those came & went in the first week, but haven't experienced anything since. Now that I'm on full liquids (MY LAST WEEK!!!) when I have about a cup or so, I feel REALLY full....but in my chest area!! Weird. Like all the soup is resting in my chest! These past couple of days, I've gone down to half a cup and that has helped a lot. Mentally, I want to finish a cup because it seems so small!!! BUT, I think that's where I have to start changing, and realizing when I'm satisfied. :wacko:

Nothing I've experienced so far has been even remotely unbearable. I feel great and I'm starting to notice my figure changing!! Woo-hoo!!! Having that motivation keeps me on track, for sure.

Hi Leah,

I guess it wasn't a pain I expected to feel. I felt like I did 100 sit-ups. Not 1000, mind you, but 100. So, my muscles were sore, especially near the port area, but not a real PAIN. I think the band rests closer to your chest/sternum area because every once in a while, I'd feel tightening in my chest or maybe what felt a little like heartburn? Those came & went in the first week, but haven't experienced anything since. Now that I'm on full liquids (MY LAST WEEK!!!) when I have about a cup or so, I feel REALLY full....but in my chest area!! Weird. Like all the soup is resting in my chest! These past couple of days, I've gone down to half a cup and that has helped a lot. Mentally, I want to finish a cup because it seems so small!!! BUT, I think that's where I have to start changing, and realizing when I'm satisfied. :wacko:

Nothing I've experienced so far has been even remotely unbearable. I feel great and I'm starting to notice my figure changing!! Woo-hoo!!! Having that motivation keeps me on track, for sure.

Thanks!!

I am about your size- not real big- I just don't feel comfortable and have gained a lot of weight in the last 5 years. I was really big with both pregnancies- 100lbs plus gained- and lost it all. Now I am gaining it all back and I just can't fight this battle anymore; I am so tired of it. I need help and hope this is a solution. My mother is really upset that I am considering it; I don't think she understands as she has always been very thin. My husband is supportive though, and will most likely make the trip with me.

Thanks for all of your info!! You seem to be doing great!

Leah =D>

the only thing that kept me from cheating was chewing and spitting - but hey, I had my surgery 3 days before xmas and had to sit there smelling my grandmas yummy food!

Hi Canadian Bandster. It was nice meeting you in person on Monday. How are you feeling and did you have fun with your friend?

the only thing that kept me from cheating was chewing and spitting - but hey, I had my surgery 3 days before xmas and had to sit there smelling my grandmas yummy food!

Hi Canadian Bandster. It was nice meeting you in person on Monday. How are you feeling and did you have fun with your friend?

actually I didnt get to see my friend - I came home a day early - which is nice because I have a day (today) to relax, which I never get to do. Unfortunately I didnt get to go shopping though!

My unfil went great - I went from 2.6 down to 1.6 and I thought the liquids would kill me lol - but its not too bad. I think its because I feel so much better. Ive lost 3 pounds ha ha - so Ill be at my complete goal weight in a day or two.

How did things go for you???? It was nice meeting you too! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow Vancouver Islander!! I am leaving this coming Thursday (OCt. 17) to have my lapband surgery with Dr. Ortiz. I have all the emotions running...but am thrilled to have this opportunity to get back on the health and fitness track! Taking control of my eating habits has been an issue for the past 25 years!

Have you found a Dr. on the Island that will do the fills for you or are you planning on heading to the OCC clinic for each one?

Also..what are these BP and sliming issues I hear folks referring too?

I've seen the progress you've posted..that's awesome!! =D>

I can't wait to be a member of the 'club' !! LOL

Cheers,

CALF

...current weight 251 / height 5'8" / target weight 170

Hello Fellow Vancouver Islander!! I am leaving this coming Thursday (OCt. 17) to have my lapband surgery with Dr. Ortiz. I have all the emotions running...but am thrilled to have this opportunity to get back on the health and fitness track! Taking control of my eating habits has been an issue for the past 25 years!

Have you found a Dr. on the Island that will do the fills for you or are you planning on heading to the OCC clinic for each one?

Also..what are these BP and sliming issues I hear folks referring too?

I've seen the progress you've posted..that's awesome!! =D>

I can't wait to be a member of the 'club' !! LOL

Cheers,

CALF

...current weight 251 / height 5'8" / target weight 170

A fellow Vancouver Islander. Where are you from? I live in Shawnigan Lake.

About fills I really would like to go to the OCC but I cannot afford it. I will be travelling to Marysville in Washington to have my fills at the Northwest Clinic . They do them under fluroscopy for I believe $275.00. I would have to check on that . They have a web site that you can go to. Lots of good education on it.

http://www.nwfills.com/protein.html

I was just banded on Sept 29th so have not experienced bp or sliming. My understanding is if you don't chew well enough and something gets stuck. Your mouth will fill with a real thick salive to attempt to get the food down. If that does not work you basically burp up the whole mouthfull of food. I don't ever want to experience this so I will be chew, chew, chewing.

If you want to email me at my personal email to chat it is

shieldsd@shaw.ca

Looking forward to hearing where you live.

Debbie

P.S This is one of the best decisions you will ever make. You will love the OCC and all the staff they are like a home away from home. :D

Hi Sally!

I go in for my lapband in two days!! Yikes..I'm also excited, scared and nervous about wanting to cheat as soon as I feel hungry. Let's stay in contact and cheer each other on!

I know we can do it and achieve success!!! :lol:

'Talk' with you soon!!!!

Cheryl