Please Help

I was banded on Oct 13th and did the liquid diet until 1 week ago. For the last week I am back to my old eating habits. I eat until I am stuffed and uncomfortable. Every new day I say I will do better today but keep falling off the wagon. I don't know what to do. I am very depressed and angry with myself. I know its the wrong thing to do, but cant seem to stop my self. Help please. :lb12:

I was banded on Oct 13th and did the liquid diet until 1 week ago. For the last week I am back to my old eating habits. I eat until I am stuffed and uncomfortable. Every new day I say I will do better today but keep falling off the wagon. I don't know what to do. I am very depressed and angry with myself. I know its the wrong thing to do, but cant seem to stop my self. Help please. :lb12:

Is it the amount of food, or the type of food. Like are you in a sugar craving cycle or is it more eating to much?

I don't know what your day is structured like but I plan out what food I am eating for the day, while I am at work. Do you take your food with you or are you at home....what is your situation like?

Is it that you are having to much time on your hands....?

Here are some things that help me.

Make time for your meal. Don't mindlessly eat. (Like I am doing the very second, I am eating lunch answering your post. :o )

Pay attention to chewing. Even count how many times you chew a bite. Focus on eating itself. When I do this, I find eating is less "enjoyable" and find myself getting bored with the act of eating.

Listen to your body.....are you hungry? Why are you eating? Do you feel satisifed yet? Stop when you do.

Ask yourself, why am I eating? Am I eating because of a feeling? I ask myself, "Am I hungry?" "Is my stomach telling me I need food?"

If you find yourself thinking about eating. Get up from what you are doing and take a walk. Even if you walk in place, get moving. Break the thinking pattern.

Keep taking chromium (sp) and benefiber. It will help you with sugar cravings and to feel full.

Drink a glass of zero calorie flavored something or other....your body maybe telling you that you are thursty. For a long time, I ate when I was thursty....

Hope this was of some help. Hang in there. When you begin getting fills it will help you to feel more in control.

Dr. Otiz's paperwork advises to drink some watered down juice mixed with a heaping spoonful of Metamucil when you feel the hunger pains. It works for me.

Also....going out for a walk or a few minutes of aerobic exercise in your living room definitely helps to make those nasty hunger pains go away... Try putting on your favorite dance music and have a private , wild dance moment !!

Good luck. :D

Cheryl

FILLS ARE COMING SOON, HANG IN THERE :)

it's time to seek the mental guidance to deal with your over eating.

while fills will help with the physical feeling of being full, it won't help with the mental side.

google over eaters anonymous, and or/ seek a therapist to help you work through this.

the band is only a band-aid solution to something much more.

Welcome to bandster hell! It is during this time you have to use portion control, track your calories and make benefiber or fiber choice your best friend. Make sure you are getting a lot of protein too that helps w/ the hunger. Is also a good time to figure out if you are really hungry or if it is head hunger. That was my big issue.

I agree also that this is a great time to get to the bottom of the emotional issues surrounding your eating. We all have 'em and the band is really just a tool and won't work on it's own. I was watching a show about the band and the doctor put it really well - the band does 30% of the job and the other 70% is all you and I so agree with that. We have to do everything we can on our end to assist the band.

Good luck!

I agree, you are in BandsterHell...

Everyone has put some great advice on here for you.

For me, I counted the number of times I chewed my food. It really helped keep my mind focused on that instead of the food.

I didn't get hungry as often when I did this. I have been eating 3 meals a day and have been from the get go and I rarely snack.

Well, try not to be so hard on yourself. Don't give up.

I plan out my meals most of the time and I stick with it to make sure I don't stray away from that plan.

Take care,

Hugs,

Kristi

Measure out your cup of food and completely leave the kitchen if you have to focus on your chewing, small bites, and paying attention to your body. Hopefully you are not eating as much post band as you did pre band. If you are, please don't as you could stretch your pouch and or esophogaus which would negate the surgery you have just had.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will have to get to the bottom of eating (emotional) for sure. It is hard to comprehend that after the banding I can still eat what ever I want. I just assumed it would fix everything. I did my research and know it just an aid but I fooled myself into thinking that once I was banded I would start loosing weight very easily. I am so glad I have this forum and everyone is so kind. I am going to Goggle overeater anonymous and start trying to figure things out. Thanks again to all who responded.

T