2 fills and no results :(

Help! I have had two fills and so far I have not lost any weight! I have a 10cc band which is filled to 7 cc right now and I still don't feel much restriction :( I am going in for my 3rd fill in a month or so and I just wanted to know if anyone has had similar experiences? Any advice?

I had no real restriction to speak of until my 3rd fill. Until then I just had to rely on following the rules and staying within a certain portion and calorie range. It sucks, but it works out in the end.

Are you sticking within a certain range with portions and calories? Are you exercising? Follow those bandster rules and you will get there. I had to have an unfill and i'm back to where I was after my 2nd fill. It sucks i'm hungry, but i'm just eating lots of protein, getting my water in and following the rules until I can get my restriction back.

Good luck!!

also remember that we gain and lose weight in increments... have you ever stepped on the scale and noticed that overnight, you gained 4 pounds? Losing weight is the same way.... just like kids grow overnight, our fat cells decide to expand or shrink overnight, after a period of time, and it doesn't happen ounce by ounce....

I don't know the science behind this-- my doctor told me this, and I've noticed it with my own weight loss.

Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. It will pay off.

I had a slump period of about 2 months where I didn't lose a pound... but after that... I lost almost 2 pounds every week for 5 months straight.

Our bodies are weird :-)

Good luck!

Help! I have had two fills and so far I have not lost any weight! I have a 10cc band which is filled to 7 cc right now and I still don't feel much restriction :( I am going in for my 3rd fill in a month or so and I just wanted to know if anyone has had similar experiences? Any advice?

Well Holly,

You are not alone. I had my surgery on Sept 07 2009, first fill on Oct 17 2009(5cc) and no weight lost whatsoever. It is so very exasperating. I quit eating rice and bread all together because they get stuck always (an experience I don't wish on anybody) but real restriction is a feeling that I am not familiar with yet. I am afraid to check the scale but judging from my face, I am sure that I put on weight since the fill :blink: . I feel frustrated to no end, and surprise, surprise I overeat when frustrated. It is our habits that made us fat (look at me preaching!) and we have to break them. I realized that although, in general, I am making good food decisions, getting the band and the subsequent fill gave me license to cheat myself. I have been visiting the Halloween candy bowl way too often. I haven’t taking lunch breaks instead I been eating in front of the computer (I ate a whole pastrami sandwich the other day without even realizing it or tasting it), and invoking my being very busy (period closing and getting ready for a well deserved vacation), I didn’t exercise at all in the past month. So, I decided that instead of running to Tijuana to get another fill, I will take a step back and reassess my lifestyle. We all thought and hoped that the band will be the answer to our prayers and it will be soooo effortless, but is not a miracle solution and we all have to accept that. Something you do (and I, and many others reading this board) is keeping you from progressing with your weight loss. Find it, understand it, conquer it, and success will follow. It is possible; just look at all the wonderful fellow bandsters that answered your cry of help. If they can do it, then you(we) can do it too. Hang on trudge ahead!

Footnote: By writing and publishing this post, I realized that I delivered my own pep talk and I hope nobody, Holly foremost, took it as a sermon from holier-than-thou (pun not intended) hypocrite.

Hi Holly

I started in June and I lost only 15 pounds in the first 4 months but grateful for every one gone. Then after looking around at the members who have been doing very well, I figured out most people have that small 4cc band and most people need atleast 70-75% restriction to get results. For so you and me (having the 10cc band) it means 7-7.5 ccs to begin to get good results. Ofcourse this is all individual since we all have different amounts of fat around out stoma/pouch. In the last month now since my 2nd fill, I have lost 6 pounds so I am very happy compared with the previous results. I am finding though things are losening up again. Right now I have 7.3ccs. I also find that its easy to cheat, that is, having soft food. So for example, it would be real easy to eat a huge cup of mashed potatoes and gravey, but thats a bad idea. A better choice is some protein...I am a beef person so I made an eye of the round roast beef (very lean) but I cooked it to death in broth and tomatoes and spices. So it ended up really soft and I had a gravey. Thats easy to eat and yet you cant eat too much and without the rice/noodles/potatoes, you keep the calories down.

I find it hard to eat alot of things now as they get stuck fast and after just a few bites. If you are not careful you can eat 1 or 2 bites too much and then you feel bad until it finally passes. This happens with raw carrots for example. I tend to have alot of soup too as I like the saltiness. But this does not fill you really. In any event, as everyone says, read the rules every day, try to apply them. And dont be afraid to get abit more fill or to take a closer look at what you are eating. What is the texture and can you eat something less soft to get you full faster.

Keep working at it, talk to ya later

Karin G

I'm glad I came across this post... I have a 4cc band from LBS in June. In 5 1/2 months, I've only lost about 10 lbs. Yes, I am very happy that 10 lbs are gone. And they are gone FOREVER! But holy Moses!!!! At what point will this become a bit easier???? I mean this is really S-L-O-W... :(( And I am honestly not stuffing my face with junk food or crap! I have 3.4cc in a 4cc band - 5 fills to date. And yes, things can get stuck more easily. Thankfully it's only happened twice. But I think I am so concerned about food getting stuck, that I am literally chewing my food to liquid form and it is just sliding into my pouch!!! And shouldn't I be concerned that I am getting too close to filling the band to capacity??? My doctor at the last visit commented that the lining around my stomach must be thinner than most. Of course my comment under my breath was that apparently that's the only thing thin on me!

So here I am, hoping that my next fill (like all my previous appointments) will be THE ONE and I will have reached my sweet spot... Sorry to have rambled - I too am very frustrated and would like to finally get to the point where I feel FULL and not hungry after 3 hours.... :-?