new info on drinking before and after meals

I was surprised because I'd never heard this before, but when I had my fill at OCC this week, Dr. SO said now that I'm more than a year out, I can drink up to 5 minutes before eating and ony have to wait half an hour after to drink again. It's going to be a lot easier to get in more water this way.

By the way, my check-up was perfect! The port, band, pouch, it was all perfect! He was very impressed with my results saying that most people lose 50-60% of their excess weight in the first year (if you have 100 to lose, expect 50 or 60) and that my loss was above-average and I should be proud. I don't hear this from anyone outside this forum (hubby is still bitter about the whole thing) so it made me feel really good.

He also kept saying how the band has now done it's job and the rest would be up to me...that I'd need to be more responsible for my choices the rest of my life and not depend on the band so much anymore. That really stuck and I feel like I"m being more accountable these past few days. I also had two plastic surgey consults and will post more on that in the ps forum.

Sabrina:)

• Like 2

I was surprised because I'd never heard this before, but when I had my fill at OCC this week, Dr. SO said now that I'm more than a year out, I can drink up to 5 minutes before eating and ony have to wait half an hour after to drink again. It's going to be a lot easier to get in more water this way.

By the way, my check-up was perfect! The port, band, pouch, it was all perfect! He was very impressed with my results saying that most people lose 50-60% of their excess weight in the first year (if you have 100 to lose, expect 50 or 60) and that my loss was above-average and I should be proud. I don't hear this from anyone outside this forum (hubby is still bitter about the whole thing) so it made me feel really good.

He also kept saying how the band has now done it's job and the rest would be up to me...that I'd need to be more responsible for my choices the rest of my life and not depend on the band so much anymore. That really stuck and I feel like I"m being more accountable these past few days. I also had two plastic surgey consults and will post more on that in the ps forum.

Sabrina! That is wonderful news, and so glad hubby happened to be there to hear it from the horses mouth! I am sure he is very proud of you, even if he is still holding a grudge. I think it says so much about your determination that you have done so very much without a 100% supportive husband. I am sure he wants you to be healthy, skinny and SEXY!!!! He wins all around even if he doesn't want to admit it!

Glad to hear you had a good check up! What a good appointment!

• Like 1

Sabrina,

When I went to my new Doc local, he told me that I could start drinking with my meals. I looked at him like he was crazy and of course I did not start doing this. I did not even mention this because I knew this was a #1 NO NO....VERY VERY Interesting!!!!!

I agree, you look WONDERUL and have done a really amazing job and I too bet he is proud of you, you have worked your butt off!!!

Carrie

• Like 1

Fantastic Sabrina. I love Dr So. I remember asking him about drinking through straws to and if it was a no no.. he said he had never heard of that before. So glad everything is going well and your trip was good. The weather was not so bad either.

Laura

• Like 1

Sabrina,

Congrats on your Awesome Check-up. :D

My Doc doesn't do the fluro for the fills, so I need to get an Upper GI to make sure it is good.

I am nervous about it, but I am gonna ask for one so i can be sure over 6 months out I am OK.

I have never heard that before either, drinking so soon before and after meals.

BTW, I agree, you look absolutely wonderful!

Hugs,

Kristi

Hi Sabrina,

I am glad you posted this because it remided me of the conversation that I had with Dr. So 24 hours earlier when I was in for my fill. I asked him about the drinking liquids/eating solids/eating liquids and the reason why protein was so important and he told me that the main reason why they do not want bandsters drinking with meals is that the drink will flush the stomache of the food you just ate and you will end up eating more than you should. I told him that i thought it is due to the possibility of causing a streached pouch and he said although that is a secondary concern the main reason was flushing the food out of the pouch and causing more eating to get full.

The reason why we were discussing is we were on the subject of high protein solids vrs high protein liquids and I told him that I loved high protein soups like black bean soup and he said that was great except liquids high in protein sort of defeat the purpose since they go through the pouch quicker than solids.

Maybe he feels that since you are so close to goal and you have reached your 1 year milestone that you have shown enough self control to lead you the rest of the way.

By the way, he also mentioned that foods that can be considered both a liquid and a solid (like chunky soups) do not need to be drained before consuption. I could exhale after he said this.

I have no idea about the history of you husband but when it comes to unsupportive significant others I could write a book <_< I remind myself everyday that this is my journey and it is all about me. I get to choose the people I invite on my journey and all the negative party poopers can stay at home and talk to the wall :lol:

I'm ashamed to say that I never really stopped drinking with meals..... I don't drink much but I do drink a little. I have lost slower than some others but have been losing consistently. So, I'm very happy to hear that he was talking positively about drinking with meals cuz I do it anyway :))

I limit my intake of liquids before I eat. I normally give myself 5-10 mins. After a meal I tipically wait 40 mins. That seems like when my internal clock says, I am thirsty. I do check the clock after I finish to see what time is a good time to drink again. Seems to work good for me that way.

There are some foods, that I have stopped eating all together, becuase it is harder not to drink after I eat. More spicey foods, I limit, which is difficult because I love heat.

Debbie and CindyLou I think you are both just fine. Again Dr. So's emphasis was on those people (and let's face it I was one of them!) who gulp down drinks between every few bits.

If the main concern is food flushing than we are the creators of our own destiny and you both have been losing a consistant amount of weight and hence, whatever you are doing seems to be working for YOU and YOUR JOURNEY. If it aint broke don't fix it.

The only reason why I think it is advised that you wait after you eat before you drink is that my mom (lifetime WW member - reached goal at 118 pounds) has always said that it takes 20 minutes for your stomache to send the signal to your brain that you are full (which in theory could have been 20 bites ago). I guess on the reverse you might want to wait before eating anything on the chance that you could be full from liquids still in the stomache?

Hi Sabrina

I'm so glad that all is well, I hope you enjoyed your trip. Dr. So is right based on the research I did before surgery and since, Lapband patients tend to lose between 50-60% of the weight in the first year and then the average is around 80% by end of year two. The overall success of lapband vs. bypass is the same, the key difference is that most bypass patients lose the 80% in the first year (but we all know how unhealthy that is. You should be VERY proud of your success :)

Do you find that you are motivated to work out more now that you are closer to goal. I am really motivated at the moment, unfortunately my schedule won't allow it until after Xmas (still putting 70-80 hours a week finishing up my degree). I can't wait to get back into it now that I really feel great.

BTW I never completely stopped drinking with meals, but that has been mostly due to being TOO tight and drinking was the only way I could get anything down at times. I drink WAY slower than I did before banding, I used to drink an extra large from Timmies without it getting cool, now a large gets cold way before it's finished. I never believed my mom friends when they said they were used to drinking cold coffee but now I can totally relate.

Louise