Did my doctor tell me the truth???

I just had my first visit with a lap band doctor (not at OCC). I thought my appointment was to see if I would qualify and ask questions, etc. He walked in asking me if I was excited and told me that it is sometimes a process with the insurance but it eventually all comes through in the end. I asked about foods I would never be able to eat again and he said bread and hot dogs basically. I know he can't sit and list every food, but it did not sound like that huge of a sacrifice. I liked him alot, but I kind of felt like I a was visiting with a salesman. He did talk about smaller portions and eating right, but can those be the only absolute no foods forever? I had read all the brochures and several websites on it and I feel like he was sort of glossing it over.

Give it to me straight.

I just had my first visit with a lap band doctor (not at OCC). I thought my appointment was to see if I would qualify and ask questions, etc. He walked in asking me if I was excited and told me that it is sometimes a process with the insurance but it eventually all comes through in the end. I asked about foods I would never be able to eat again and he said bread and hot dogs basically. I know he can't sit and list every food, but it did not sound like that huge of a sacrifice. I liked him alot, but I kind of felt like I a was visiting with a salesman. He did talk about smaller portions and eating right, but can those be the only absolute no foods forever? I had read all the brochures and several websites on it and I feel like he was sort of glossing it over.

Give it to me straight.

I would say across the board it seems that most folks can't do bread. When i'm at a good fill there are other things I can't eat. Most fried stuff is out the window and then for me unfortunately it is kind of hit and miss. As the day goes on my band loosens up and I can eat more, but in the morning most solid stuff is out and I do oatmeal or protein shakes. Hot dogs have never been a problem for me, but any meat that is too dry comes straight back up.

Not sure what your situation is, but i'd be more worried about him saying that insurance is an easy deal. I know most folks insurance won't cover the procedure, so make sure you are reviewing all your options for payment.

If you felt like you were talking with a salesman then you were. I would never let anyone operate on me who treated me the way that doctor treated you. He is a little too non-challant about something that is life-changing and expensive. If I was you I would talk to another doc asap. Just my opinion. Good luck in your journey. :)

Give it to me straight.

Well I am just a few months into this process. I have had 2 fills and could eat a hotdog but don't want to(lol) bread is a no no! I also have a hard time with apples(peel) salad, chicken, turkey, roast beef and hamburger and let us not forget RICE! Just seams if it is dry or sticky it will not go down. That said I am down 34 pounds and would trade all of those things for the way I have been feeling. This was the best decision for me. I wish I would have done it sooner. I went to the OCC and was very happy! I was not a number!! I wish you luck and hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Give it to me straight.

Yep, he was a salesman. I noticed that the doctors in the US are getting really agressive in terms of pushing the band (if you call their office to ask questions the want to book you for a consultation or seminar right away, if you email their office they call you back within the hour, etc.). I noticed that the advertising for it has also quadrupled over the last 6 months. The doctor I initially had my consult with was a smooth talker who had his pitch down BUT I came prepared with questions that he was more than willing to answer until I was comfortable with the answers. So in the end it did not bother me that he was trying to sell me something because he was completely honest and answered all my questions with clarity and insight. They are all sales people so USE IT to your benefit. If you do not use them they will use you. Play their game, humor them and get the information YOU need.

As far as things I can and cannot eat the only thing I found that will not go down is a tortilla. Other than that I do not have any restriction yet so I am fine for now. I expect that will change with the second or third fill.

Give it to me straight.

Monyac,

I would have had the lap band surgery done earlier like last year if insurance would have paid. I went through a hospital in our capital city and they wanted me to go through all of these tests (stress test, sleep apnia, etc). I decided to call insurance because I was already qualified for the surgery and to have to pay more for all of these exams was a little ridiculous. Once the phone call was made, they said that insurance would not pay for any of the tests nor the surgery. The OCC's price is almost 4 times cheaper than what they were going to charge to do the surgery. I haven't personally had the surgery yet. I will be having it in less than 2 weeks at the OCC on January 11th. So, there are many others who will be able to give you more information. But, I wanted to let you know what I went through. The OCC has been super super nice and also the people on this forum. If you have any questions whatsoever, the OCC and the people on this forum are always so helpful to answer any questions you might have. I'll keep you posted once I've had the surgery and get on the solid phase as to what I can and can't eat.

I too can eat just about anything EXCEPT bread, tortillas, and I will RUN from Broccoli and Raw Carrots..lol.

I choose not to eat breaded or fried, but I can eat rice with no problems and fruit. I can eat all meat, just have to be really carefull with chicken.

Shelby, you mentioned you dont count calories when you have a good fill. I know you eat chips and dip, I think I can eat just as much chip and dip as I did before I was banded, is this the same for you with a good fill? Can you give us an example of what you can and cant eat and how much with a good fill. I just dont think I am where I should be with my fills, but I have always had a hard time trying to figure out where that is.....

Carrie

I too can eat just about anything EXCEPT bread, tortillas, and I will RUN from Broccoli and Raw Carrots..lol.

I choose not to eat breaded or fried, but I can eat rice with no problems and fruit. I can eat all meat, just have to be really carefull with chicken.

Shelby, you mentioned you dont count calories when you have a good fill. I know you eat chips and dip, I think I can eat just as much chip and dip as I did before I was banded, is this the same for you with a good fill? Can you give us an example of what you can and cant eat and how much with a good fill. I just dont think I am where I should be with my fills, but I have always had a hard time trying to figure out where that is.....

Carrie

Carrie - I am the same way with fresh carrots or broccoli - I swear I must look like I am disecting a frog when I prepair my food to eat. I cut my pieces up so tiny and still have issues sometimes. Now, if the carrots are not cooked I just don't do them. I can eat apples but they make my pouch kinda hurt a bit after I have eaten one. I think it is because they are hard for me to chew them up really good before I swallow....

I have issues with any kind of waffles. If the bread is doughy I can't eat it. Other than that I can eat nearly anything. I had fried shrimp coming back on our trip and was fine. I also like the poppers and can eat a few of those with the fried breaded crust on them. I think more than anything the breading fills me up and takes away room for the good foods.

My band is a fickle little creature. I can eat pasta with any form of sauce with no problem... however one bite of macaroni and cheese will stick like a hair clog. :wacko: I can eat most potatoes, but french fries are a big no.

I can not eat any form of fresh bread or cake. No bread, muffins, cake, donuts, hamburger or hot dog buns. I can eat my homemade chewy cornbread (Thank Heaven, for if I couldn't, life would not be worth living) if I take small bites and chew thoroughly, but that's it. I can eat a grilled sandwich if the bread is really crunchy grilled, but if it's the slightest bit soggy, no way Jose. It took a long time for me to get over not being able to sit down to a PB & J sandwich, or a Turkey and Swiss made from the Thanksgiving leftovers.

No problems with any meats as long as I chew well. In fact, I'm a carnivore. My main snack is beef jerky and my favorite meal is Baby Back Ribs. No problem with either one of those!

If only ice cream stuck...I'd probably be at my goal weight. *sigh*

Cookie

Gosh thank you guys. I guess I just really have to wait and see how it affects me. My husband was with me and I asked him his thoughts on the doctors salesman persona. He said he felt that way too, but he felt like he was just really confident in what he does and was trying to let us see that. He did answer all of the questions I threw at him. I just felt like on this one important issue it seemed as if it were too easy to me. I will continue to read the forum and do searches to answer my questions. I do really appreciate you all being so honest with me. :D

Gosh thank you guys. I guess I just really have to wait and see how it affects me. My husband was with me and I asked him his thoughts on the doctors salesman persona. He said he felt that way too, but he felt like he was just really confident in what he does and was trying to let us see that. He did answer all of the questions I threw at him. I just felt like on this one important issue it seemed as if it were too easy to me. I will continue to read the forum and do searches to answer my questions. I do really appreciate you all being so honest with me. biggrin.gif

Confidence is a good thing! One of the top qualities I think are important in a surgeon. Doc Ortiz and Martinez have a good confidence about them. biggrin.gif

Carrie

Oh jesus chips and dip that is killing me! Yeah, even at my best fill I could still do chips and dip. Now, depending on what type of dip it was I got full pretty fast, if it was my chicken dip I make I can eat it fine, but would fill up much faster than say like chips and salsa. That is something I struggle with big time. I'm about to nip that in the bud though b/c one of my new years resolutions is i'm cutting my dairy intake by at least 50% and really aiming for 75%. I've been talking to a lot of folks at work (I work at a gym) and dairy is just bad news for the most part. I know the reason this last 10-15 isn't coming off is dairy and so i'm gonna nip that in the bud!

I get another fill tomorrow and I can't wait!!! Hopefully it will get me back up to where I was which was almost perfect. Back before my brother's accident I really felt like I was almost perfect - here is an example of a good day for me back then:

Breakfast: Quaker weight control oatmeal (could eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of a package) or about 1/2 cup of kashi cereal (dry)

Lunch: packet of tuna and carrots w/ ranch or ham dipped in mustard and carrots w/ ranch

Snack: some days I needed a snack some not. Would do a cheese stick or a 90 calorie pack of quaker mini delights rice cakes

Dinner: Varied, but would do either a Lean Cuisine or WW meal (about 3/4 of it) or some chili or would make a taco salad (would eat about 3/4 cup of it)

I've never been so tight where solids were out at breakfast, but did have to be careful of what I ate. Back at good restriction my meat intake was hit and miss. At dinner most were OK if I took it slow and chewed well as long as they weren't dry.

I am hopeful that tomorrow's fill gets me back on track. I'm now eating what is left in my house that has cheese (I hate to waste) and then i'm significantly reducing my dairy intake which I think will make a big difference. The more I read the more I see it is a real detriment to me.

Hope that helps!

Ugh, bread! Tortillas, pizza, tortilla chips, rice, basically white carbs for me is a HUGE no no! Raw veggies, nuts and whole fruits are really hard for me as well.

Shelby, have you researched your heritage and the blood type diet? I know with my heritage, German, red meat, white carbs and dairy are my enemies. I know once I cut out my dairy, eons ago, I felt a whole lot better.

Give it to me straight.

((((((((((((((((((((Hugs to you))))))))))))))))))))))

Bruital honesty. Here goes.

I had a doctor who told me the following: Not nuts, popcorn, drinking straws, caffine, diet soda and no liquor (I've done all of those things since my surgery which was in May.)

I cannot seem to chew steak (which was my favorite thing in the world), bacon, chicken (depending on texture), and scrambled eggs (on occasion - more often than not).

I won't touch french bread, pita bread, bagles, white bread, wheat bread (even toasted) with a 10 foot pole.

I can't seem to eat bananas, apples, oranges. I can eat lettuce normally without issue.

So here's my problem, prior to getting the lapband, I had lost almost 100 lbs on my own. My official loss today is 70 lbs because prior to getting banded I started to gain my weight back. Everything I taught myself to be successful when I lost weight on my own is moot. Nothing I used to do works any longer. I am still in the process of reteaching myself about my body and finding a food plan that works for my body today.

To make matters worse, when I'm not motivated, the stuff I can eat is ridiculious. I can eat junk food like it's going out of style. There must be something about the texture that makes it easy to chew and swallow. Thus, why it's called junk food.

So there is my honesty. Hugs to you. I hope this helps. I'd do the surgery again a million times over though. I promise you that. Following the program 5 percent of the time has still resulted in a 30 lb loss for me.

:)

Ugh, bread! Tortillas, pizza, tortilla chips, rice, basically white carbs for me is a HUGE no no! Raw veggies, nuts and whole fruits are really hard for me as well.

Shelby, have you researched your heritage and the blood type diet? I know with my heritage, German, red meat, white carbs and dairy are my enemies. I know once I cut out my dairy, eons ago, I felt a whole lot better.

Hey Donna!

I have heard of people doing this with their blood type. I didn't know that heritage also played a part. Is it a website? How do you know what to do if your swedish/german/polish mixed?

The last diet I tried was that Blood Type Diet. Talk about restricitive! I did not know what to eat. I would look at the list and just want to cry. I think that one is best to just cut out a few of the key items that give you problems like Donna said.

I think it is sad that we all have to give up certain foods, but I am glad to hear some of you say you would do it again given the chance. A girl can dream that she will be like the lucky few who can eat just about everything but just in moderation!

If the insurance does not come through I will definitely check into OCC. It sounds like you have all been pleased with your experience there.

MonyaC

Tootsie, you are screwed! j/k :) It's ANOTHER {eye roll} diet book called Eat Right For Your Blood Type. I was on a high protein low carb diet, which works great for me, but I couldn't figure how come I wasn't losing as much weight as I should have been. Well, red meat makes someone of my blood type and heritage gain weight.

I am not saying I follow this program, I am just saying it's ANOTHER realm of what I have learned. With the Lapband, I feel I can eat within reason. With all the years of dieting though, I do know what makes me gain/lose. I have limited my dairy and my red meat consumption to 2-3 times a week. My plateau breaker was fish and spinach, from a low carb high protein diet, go figure!

As Dr Ortiz told me just before I was on the runway down the hall, "The lapband, she is a fickle little bitch and treat her as such." It's not easy. It was by no means an easy way out that's for sure!

Monya, if you can afford it and if you can finance it, DO IT! As others have said, my biggest regret is not doing it sooner!

That is really interesting i'd love to hear more about it! I am German and Irish mostly with a little bit of English splashed in there. I am allergic to milk and lactose intolerant, but for some reason my whole life i've just craved dairy like crazy. This will be by far the toughest one i've done, but I need to. TMI, but dairy stops me up sooo bad and I know that is hindering me. It's tough since i'm single and its just me to cook for, but i'd also like to cut out as many processed foods as I can. I work two jobs so it is tough, but i'm gonna try.

Give it to me straight.

Here is the low down on the lapband. After you get it, the first two weeks you will be on a liquid diet. The next two to three weeks on a mush diet. After that you can eat almost anything you want. The trick is to chew your food and chew your food and chew your food and chew your food.

I have eaten meats (including hot dogs), bread, fruits, salads, chicken, turkey, etc. I get in trouble when I do not chew properly.

I suggest to try different foods once you get the band and see what you can eat. Do not be surprised if at first you can eat and then a few months later after a fill you get stuck. More than likely you did not chew your food up enough.

Good Luck.

Jay - banded on 12/10/2007 - Lost 140 lbs in 1 year - Down to 230.

Here is the low down on the lapband. After you get it, the first two weeks you will be on a liquid diet. The next two to three weeks on a mush diet. After that you can eat almost anything you want. The trick is to chew your food and chew your food and chew your food and chew your food.

I have eaten meats (including hot dogs), bread, fruits, salads, chicken, turkey, etc. I get in trouble when I do not chew properly.

I suggest to try different foods once you get the band and see what you can eat. Do not be surprised if at first you can eat and then a few months later after a fill you get stuck. More than likely you did not chew your food up enough.

Good Luck.

Jay - banded on 12/10/2007 - Lost 140 lbs in 1 year - Down to 230.

Hey Jay - sounds like the band is working well for you! I love to hear peoples stories with a bit of time under their belt!