Is there a restaurant next to OCC or the Mariott, or a store?

GoingForIt

I'll be coming to OCC for surgery this coming week. I don't want to venture out into Tijuana by myself. I'll be staying at the Marriott.

Is there a place to eat (before I start fasting prior to surgery) next to OCC or the hotel?

And, more importantly, is there a place very close by to pick up broth and juice for the clear liquids the 2 days after surgery while I'll still be in MX?

Thanks!

I'll be coming to OCC for surgery this coming week. I don't want to venture out into Tijuana by myself. I'll be staying at the Marriott.

Is there a place to eat (before I start fasting prior to surgery) next to OCC or the hotel?

And, more importantly, is there a place very close by to pick up broth and juice for the clear liquids the 2 days after surgery while I'll still be in MX?

Thanks!

Hi..Congrats on making the choice to go to OCC..you'll be proud, glad and oh so happy when that weight starts melting off. The Marriott has a restuarant located inside the facility and they will provide you with the broth and juice at no cost to you. Just advise them you are with the OCC and the tab will be picked up by Dr. Ortiz! I agree with you...Tijuana is no place to be wondering around by yourself!

Cheers...

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, that's good to know. My band date is on the 7th. What about bottled water? Everyone here is telling me ....."don't drink the water". I have some drink packs to take with me, so was wondering about the water thing.

I also stayed at the Mariott and just so you know you can take a 2 minute cab ride (I walked) from the Mariott to a beautiful restraunt called POTRERO (The building is shaped like a giant sobrero) and tell the magager that you want to order chicken soup with not chicken just broth. I did this and they brought me the most wonderful broth I had ever tasted in my entire life. You can also tell the cab driver from the Mariott what time you think you would be done eating and they will come pick you up afterwards too. I would also like to recommend this restraunt for PRE-SURGERY. Their food is way, way, way better then the Mariott's. While cooked below par and it tastes okay, I found the Mariott food very boring.

Thanks Cheryl, that's good to know. My band date is on the 7th. What about bottled water? Everyone here is telling me ....."don't drink the water". I have some drink packs to take with me, so was wondering about the water thing.

It's true what you hear about the water..don't even swallow any while brushing your teeth!

The hotel provides you with a bottle of water in your hotel room ..and if you want more you can request it at the front desk. They also offer drinks and water for sale in their little notions shop.

p.s..the Mariott restuarant menu offers a dinner salad of bib greens, sliced fresh pear, toasted & glazed walnuts sprinkled with asiago crumbled cheese with a tangy vinaigrette dressing that was fresh, delicious and not expensive. It was the perfect light dinner choice for me the night before surgery :)

If you check out this site you will see a list of restaurants including a brief discription of El POTRERO with a picture. It is located across the street from the Mariott, down 2 blocks.

http://www.bestday.com/Tijuana/Restaurants/

Here is what someone else had to say on a blog about it: "I really like the food, service and atmosphere of this restaurant. The big hat makes it seem like you are back in the time of Tijuana al 1960's. Plus my next door neighbor is the owner.

Really good breakfasts. Steaks and spinach salads are very good."

Thanks!

Hi, I stayed at the Mariott also and ate there. The food was wonderful!!!!!!! I had a turkey club and could not finish it!!! You will love the broth. I poured mine in the water bottles and drank them before heading to the airport. You will do great also, I'm heading down on Tuesday for my first fill and really looking forward to it. I gained 9 lbs once I started back on solid foods but have total loss so far is 10 lbs. I hope this fill will give me restriction.

Good luck and make sure you tell them you are from OCC and they will deliver your juice, water and broth to your room.

Janice :wub:

I stayed at the Marriott also and loved the food. It was reasonably priced and the broth was very good. Regarding water just tell them you are from the OCC and they will provide it for you. When you arrive there is 2 big bottles in your room. When I needed more I just asked.

Remember do not drink it at all. That means even use it in your coffee maker and for brushing teeth like was mentioned.

I also brought packaged broth with me and crystal light to add to my bottled watered in case I wanted something in my room.

There is a little shop downstairs with a fridge and cold drinks as well. Also a business center with computers if you don't have a lap top.

Good luck with your decision you are going to be thrilled with your results and meeting the wonderful people of Mexico and the OCC

Keep us posted on your progress

Debbie

Sounds like I have a date at POTRERO. Thanks for the tip!

My mom went with me to get my band of 12/29 and ate at Potrero with some of the other mom's that were there... They all *loved* it! Also, most of us ate a nice dinner the night before and it was not a big deal at all. The OCC docs/RN's don't really care about what you eat or what you weight. Enjoy your last meal... Believe me, the 21 day recovery time is tough and you'll be happy you had a 'last meal' that was tasty and wonderful! The Marriott does provide you one free bottle of water in your room, but you will definitely want to purchase additional water. The OCC will give you one or two free bottles of water, if you ask them for it. The doctors and nurses at the OCC are truly wonderful... You are going to be in GREAT hands. Congrats on such an exciting 2010! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Thanks!

There's a restaurant inside the Marriot.

Try googling and finding the link to the website - there are even photos of the hotel.

Bring broth with you. Don't try and pick this up the day of or after your surgery.

I brought broth powder, then you just add boiling water.

You will find apple juice, at the hotel - room service, although, the glasses are in insultingly small, especially when you're waiting 45 min for it to arrive (via room service!)

Does anyone know if u could bring bottled H2O to Mx in your suitcase?? Has anyone done any type of shopping there? What's available and how far is it from the Marriot

Yes, you can, but it's not necessary.

There is a shit load of bottled water avail to you.

Shopping. Nah.

Not even worth the effort. You're only a few minutes from the US boarder, and really, not in any sort of 'shopping district'.

You can buy crappy little Mexico 'gifts', but don't count on fantastic shopping.

Does anyone know if u could bring bottled H2O to Mx in your suitcase?? Has anyone done any type of shopping there? What's available and how far is it from the Marriot

In terms of shopping the only thing that I can recommend is the Costco behind the OCC or the Plaza Del Rio (TJ's mall like any other mall here in the US with basically the same retailers). You can catch a cab to the mall or costco from the Mariott and back. The drivers will even wait for you if you want them too and they are not busy.