What are YOU doing right?

Hi there!

2009 seems like a bad year for pretty much everyone I've spoken to. So to start off the new year, I wanted to focus on the positive. For everyone who has had weight loss success (whether you've lost 15 or 100 so far!) I invite you to share with us the things that you feel like you are doing right (or did right at any given stage of banding!) This is a great opportunity for people enjoy their success, help others achieve their goals, and earn some good karma points :)

Thanks in advance!

Lindsay D

I lost over 140; the most important part is I followed the rules. Next, I was consistent with my exercise, and focused on healthy eating.

I’ll be honest, I think the reason I did succeed with the band is it was a friggen big $$ investment for me. I never spent that much on me before and there was no way I was going to take the money I had opted to spend on myself (instead of my family) and blow it. I wanted to prove that “I” was a great investment. (The best money I ever spent was getting my band. No brainer – but I do work it, still to this day).

The deal with exercise is to start easy. I was way to big to go out to the gym at first, I started by dancing alone in my room. As soon as I could comfortably wear a pair of sweatpants I hired a personal trainer to show me how to exercise. I didn’t like the gym stuff to start out with, but kept it up – I knew it was good for me and something I needed. I was also told that if I kept it up, it would grow on me. It did, but I also supplemented the gym with doing the things that I use to love. I looked back at my younger days and thought about what I use to like to do, it was dance, and roller skating. Took up both of those right away, from belly dancing to going weekly to adult night skating. I think doing so many different things really helped.

Good luck, its hard work, but it’s worth the ride!

Lisa

• Like 2

I journal, journal, journal every bite of food & every sip of liquid. The key is consistancy. There were a couple days (I think 4 total) that I did not journal for out of the 6 weeks I have been banded. I have been allowing myself to consume up to 1200 calories per day. Like Lisa, I just try to focus on how much I paid for this band in terms of motivation to stay on track.

PS - Yes, I journaled during the 3 week liquid phase too even though I was only cosuming 800 calories per day on liquids. I knew during week 1 that I did not have to journal but I chose to so as to get into the habit of being aware of the calories I was drinking (liquid calories can add up real quick if you are not paying attention).

I am down about 20 pounds since banding three months ago. What works for me personally is NOT to focus too much on food (journaling and such). I eat three meals a day and follow band rules: start with protein, eat fruit or veggies, and finish with carbs if possible (usually not). I don't drink for 30 minutes afterwards.

I often have lowfat ice cream at night. I have a sweet tooth. I'm still losing weight, maybe not as slow as I might without the occasional indulgence, but I can't live a monastic life. It doesn't work for me.

I also work out with a personal trainer twice a week (the only way I've found I will stick to it) and I walk my dog about twenty minutes almost daily.

Slow and steady. I'm hoping this wins the race!

• 4 months later...

:rolleyes: WHAT i HAVE LEARTNED BY HAVING MY BAND :unsure:

THAT MY BODY CAN RUN ON AWHOLE LOT LESS FOOD THAN I WAS ONCE SHUVING INTO IT

I LOOK AT FOOD DIFFERENTLY, I CHOOSE FOODS THAT WILL NOURISH AND ALSO GO DOWN EASILY! THIS DIDN'T COME TO LIGHT OVER NIGHT. I TESTED THE BAND, WITH PROCESSED FOOD, MEATS, BREADS, SALADS, VEGGES ETC...I CAN MAKE A MEAL OUT OF VEGGIES, FEEL SATISFIED AND NOT WANT SUGAR AFTER MY MEAL....

I DON'T CRAV CARBS LIKE I USED TOO. IF YOUR NOT EATING THEM, YOUR NOT GETTING THE HIGHS AND LOWS WITH YOUR BLOOD SUGARS...

i HAVE LEARNED THAT i CANNOT EAT BIG MEALS IN THE AM, SO USUALLY A DRINKABLE YOGURT IS WHAT I GET WITH COFFEE...AND MY BODY IS OK WITH THIS...

FAST FOOD IS NO LONGER AN OPTION BECAUSE I CAN'T EAT IT, IT COMES UP VERY EASILY!

I FEEL BETTER, I AM MORE SELF CONFIDENT, I AM MORE SEXUAL AS I BECOME A LIGHTER ME. I WOULD DO THIS ALL OVER AGAIN AND I WOULD TELL SOMEONE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT GETTING THE BAND TO DO IT!

YOU STILL GET TO EAT ANY FOODS YOU WANT, IT MIGHT BE ONE OR TWO BITES, BUT THAT IS OK...

KIM :wub:

• Like 1

I agree with everything that has been said , especially Lisa. I follow the rules to the tee that were given to me by Dr Ortiz and Dr Miranda. I exercise 7 days a week and try to mix my exercie routine up. I walk, hike, bike and swim.

Being banded has been the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I do agree that paying that much money on myself has been a huge incentive and kept me on the straight an narrow :)

I am worth it :)

I was doing really well and recently have let myself slowly sneak some bad habits back in. I am now committed to getting back on track and the first step was getting on the scale this morning and then updating my ticker. Keeping myself accountable good or bad is the key for me. Today I am doing a detox that Lisa posted a long time ago then after that for the next week or so (with the exception of one meal I have no control over) it's all fruits/veggies/fresh fish/chicken and no processed foods, alcohol, sugar, salt, etc....All the weight i've gained back is all sitting right in my mid section and so I think this will really help.

Wish me luck it's gonna be tough but will be a great kick start for me. I've gotten back in my workout routine and have been running again so that helps too.

Hope you all are having a great day!!

I was banded April 5 so I am just a little over 30 days out. No fill yet, but I have pretty good success -- I've lost 24 lbs so far since the surget and 31 lbs since starting the pre-op. Here are few things I try to focus on:

1. Like everyone already has said, it's a big investment so follow the rules and try not to cheat. But don't beat yourself up and get depressed if you do -- just get back on track ASAP. (For example, yesterday I went to this great farmer's market near my house and ate more than I should of -- I felt gross but pumped a lot of water and am back on track today, no problems).

2. For me, planning is the key especially since I work in an office and there aren't a lot of healthy food options near where I work. I try to eat a good breakfast every morning and then develop a food "game plan" by which I think at the beginning of the day exactly what I am going to eat during the day. I find my biggest issues occur when I skip a meal and let myself get too hungry (and the hunger for me is super intense because of the smaller amount of food I eat).

3. Drink lots and lots of water or other zero calorie fluids.

4. Try to get some cardio exercise at least 4-5 times a week for 30 minutes.

5. I really try to watch the amount of sodium in food -- you really can retain fluids and have trouble losing weight if you eat too much salty foods.

6. I use a lot of non-sodium spices (garlic, herbs, etc.) to give greater satisfaction with the food I eat. I also eat a lot of good fresh soups, which I fell in love with during the post-op before solid foods.

7. Portion and calorie control is another key for me. Subscribe to some Internet site that will allow you to monitor the amount of calories for portion size. Read food labels carefully. I find food journaling helpful to identify and avoid empty and excess calories that I can avoid during the day, but I am not a zealot where I journal everthing every day. I tend to have a routine where I eat (and enjoy) pretty much the same foods all the time so once I identify the correct portion, it becomes easier for me. But some people need more variety which can require more dilligence.

I have found that my body and my mind have changed dramatically since I started this journey. I don't crave the bad stuff I used to eat and drink before. Portion control generally is pretty easy. And when I do mess up, my body lets me know (i.e. I ate a taco the other day and felt gross afterwards) and it's easy to get back on track.

These are just my own personal observations and experiences -- Hope they are helpful to someone.

Hi all,

Well, I just had my first fill on Friday, but already since being banded there has been major changes...for myself I journal just to see what I eat and about how many calories, not so much for strict reasons, strict has been my downfall and the idea of being able to eat freely, even if it's small amounts, appeals to me..but---my new lessons have been, what I really like to eat, or don't, what types of exercise I can tolerate or even enjoy, and here is a big one-the emotional reason's I would overeat, this area has changed for me a lot because I am now being forced to face feelings and learn how to deal with them. I have also learned the need for lot's of water and vitamins...This is for life and I deserve it....

• 2 months later...

Well I just got banded one week ago today. Including pre-op diet(7 days)I have lost 16 lbs. I drink 2 oz of protein drink every hour and in between on the half hour I drink 3 oz of water or zero calorie drink. This keeps me well hydrated and around 60 grams of protein a day. 3 of my protein breaks are now replaced with some other liquid. Today I chose 5 oz liquid yogurt for breakfast, 5.5 oz low sodium V8, and 1/2 c. creamy leek soup. I never feel hungry and I am super excited about my weight loss.

My advice is - don't work against the band. You will learn the tricks to get in the foods you WANT to eat but fight the temptations and work with the band. Don't wait until you're starving to eat. Still keep the bad junk food out of your house and eat solid foods.