20 members have voted

1. 1. Fill

• 1 to 3 @ OCC
    • 1 to 3 NOT @ OCC
    • 4 to 6 @ OCC
    • 4 to 6 NOT @ OCC
    • 7 to 10 @ OCC
    • 7 to 10 NOT @ OCC

From the results it definitely looks like the people who go to the OCC have fewer fill - but not that many people have voted!

I have a question for those of you who have used the OCC. Has anybody ever had to have an unfill? I guess what I'm thinking is, if I decide to go to the OCC for my fills, I'm wondering if they have a better/lower % of unfills than other places since I live across the country.

From the results it definitely looks like the people who go to the OCC have fewer fill - but not that many people have voted!

I have a question for those of you who have used the OCC. Has anybody ever had to have an unfill? I guess what I'm thinking is, if I decide to go to the OCC for my fills, I'm wondering if they have a better/lower % of unfills than other places since I live across the country.

Thanks for asking about unfills, didn't think of that!

I just booked my third fill at the OCC for 2/15/2010 and this is going to be my 3rd fill in 3 months. I was told by the OCC fill doctors that a person should only need 2 - 3 fills in their lifetime. I have a gut feeling that I am going to end up needing 4 fills. It seems as though the OCC fills are a bit on the conservative side in my case OR that the larger band just requires more fills. I can understand why those who go to the OCC for fills may end up requiring less than those who go elsewhere since the fills are done very carefully under Fluero. It does not seem that there is a lot of room for error but I can only speak from my own experience and that is just based on 2 fills at the OCC thus far and both of them were only 3cc. I am happy over all with my fills at the OCC. I have a giagantor band what can I say. I am grateful that I have NOT been over filled and most likely will never be overfilled as long as I keep going to the OCC for my fills and I am grateful that I am able to book my fills every month. I heard on another board that people who have had the band with insurance are actually finding it VERY difficult to book their fills with their doctors less that 2 months apart and that when they do get their fills it is often for a smaller amount then what they need and then they have to fight tooth and nail to get another fill appointment 2 months out! So even though I am a little disappointed and I would like restriction with minimal fills, I will take the situation I am in any day over being in the situation where I do not have the opertunity for fills once a month and the possibility of either being way under-filled or over-filled and having to wait a long time before getting it fixed.

I DID GET OVER FILLED YES AT THE OCC AND HAD AN UNFILL WITH THEM. IT CAN HAPPEN WITH OR WITHOUT FLUOSCOPY NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO

I DID GET OVER FILLED YES AT THE OCC AND HAD AN UNFILL WITH THEM. IT CAN HAPPEN WITH OR WITHOUT FLUOSCOPY NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO

Pammie, how long between your fill and your unfill? Do they have you wait a few hours there to be sure it's the correct amount?

Hi Teresa...I'm heading down to OCC on the 29th of Feb...I'm really looking forward to feeling some restriction!! My weight loss can only be contributed to my sheer stubborness! I can eat anything and lots of it so I've really had to keep myself on a strict high protein, low fat and carb plan...with tons of gymwork. I sweat baby..yeah I do!! lol

Pammie, how long between your fill and your unfill? Do they have you wait a few hours there to be sure it's the correct amount?

YEAH, AFTER A FEW HOURS I KNEW IT WASN'T GOING TO FLY

I'VE HAD FILLS HERE AND BACK AT THE OCC. TO ME PERSONALLY IT DOESN'T MUCH MATTER IF I GO BACK TO THE OCC OR LOCALLY, BOTH OFFER FLUOSOPY AND I TRUST BOTH. FLIGHTS ARE FREE FOR ME SO EITHER WAY.

• 1 month later...

Warning...Bogiesmom blowing a gasket and having a tissy fit! :angry:

Let me type this out of my system...

Okay, here is the deal, I am going back to the OCC for a needed 4th fill in 4 months. I am angry and pissed, yes, I am. I am not one of those gals shouting I love my band. I hate the fact that I got the giagantor band. I do not want to make any waves by saying this. It is just that I am frustrated with having NO restriction and I asked for the smaller band and did not get it, knowing that I required the samller band. I think this crap about only needing 2-3 fills only apply to a small group of people and most of them with the samller band. I see myself having to go for a 5th fill in 5 months frankly. I love Weight Watchers and this is what HAS been working ... NOT THE FREAKING BAND. I honestly think I need at least 7.5cc before I start feeling ANY restriction & the OCC has been extremely conservative in my fills and that pisses me off to no end.

My band sucks ass right now and has for the last 4 months. Thanks for reading and now I need a drink but will NOT have one since I cant afford the calories.

At this point, thinking about getting Bogie enrolled into a "Service Dog" program so he can assist me when I go on these f****ing rampages, cause Lord only knows when the band will start working and I am probably going to have a lot more tissy fits between now & then!

I think the doctors choose the band for each person based on many factors, I don't know anything about it so I don't question them on that!

As far as fills go, I definitely think it is normal to have a bunch of fills before you are at your sweet spot. Again, I am no expert here, but they can only fill as much as your body allows. When you leave the office it looked like a good fill but then after that there isn't restriction. It's like your body gets used to it somehow, I don't really understand it, either, but I do think it is normal. My mom is on her 4th fill coming up here soon and she is feeling the same way as you. She wanted restriction the moment she got her first fill. I just don't think that happens. I think you guys will get there eventually, but it is a process.. I am not yet at my first fill so I am only speaking from watching my mom's fills and reading about other bandsters fills.

Please do not take my outburst too seriously. I was just venting. As Angie says: "I'm touring with the band" and I know the tour is not going to be over anytime soon so I just have to learn to enjoy it (but I am still refuse to "Love" my band).

Oh, and although I would like to believe that they give you what's good for you...I personally think that is a bunch of horse hay since the majority of us who got banded over the last several months have the same exact band. This is nothing against you or your opinion, I just think there is a backstory there that goes much deeper then that.

Tissy fit over and ready to move on...

Absolutely! wink.gif Just feel free to laugh at my temporary insanity and take my emotional breakdowns with a grain of salt. biggrin.gif

Oh my goodness you do give me a good chuckle! I was so hopeful my first fill would do the trick. What it did was give me a taste, with in a week.....it was gone. It was the start of my touring with the band. My second fill much the same way, high hopes, then reality. Again, I was learning. I felt restriction and bathed in the glory for a minute...okay another week. My third fill.....a bit of a tease, but this time, it lasted a week longer! Two weeks of bliss! Whaa-hoo! Okay so 4th fill....restriction that stayed! Then faded back but still I was restrcited!!! Oh baby! Then 5th fill comes along....wapped me up side the head with a two by four....but you already knew that cuz we chat. Ha! For everyone else, I got the restriction I was yearning for only to find it was a lot more than I had bargained for.....Reality is different once you are given what you desire. So this was the heavy learning curve....I SERIOUSLY contimplated a small unfill.....Was I to tight you ask.....for me....yes. No, I was not to tight for healths sake, no ill side affects....it was me having a hard time with my new portions.

Now I say I think I have fill illness......what I mean is I am thinking I am ready to gamble. Gamble with my fill level. Why.....I've adjusted and would like to take it to the next level. Where do I want to be.....let me share with you.....I'd like to be so restricted that I drink my breakfast, have a small lunch, and a decent dinner. Will I get what I am hoping for....??? This is the question. Who knows. There is not a fill science. No perfect fill level. Each of us are so different. Will I risk being a titch to tight.....YES....Why.....simple fill greed or illness. It is a fine balance and once you have a good level of restriction, which I do. It only takes a tiny bit to make or break the fill.

So, I have made a fill apt for myself in April. I hope to get what I want, and hessitate to think I may find I GOT IT AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT.

Okay, so now that I have written a novel.....I will close with I am with ya, fills and restriction are hard to wrap your head around.

((HUGS))

Angie

So....what my lesson has been with all my fills is this. I love my body and my band. Waiting is the hardest part, for sure. My body seems to be a bit more sensitive...why....for petes sake, I have no idea. All I know is this, looking back.....hind sight being 20/20 I can see how my body has learned it's new rules. Hard set habits and behaviors broken....

Absolutely! ;) Just feel free to laugh at my temporary insanity and take my emotional breakdowns with a grain of salt. :D

My mom is freaking out just like you! I am just trying to calm her down and tell her this is normal... I just wonder if I will be freaking out when I get to that stage, also!

Angie, don't go too tight! If you get too tight you can end up causing all kinds of damage... if you think you are eating 1/3 of what you ate before then you are good! Just be careful!!

I think the doctors choose the band for each person based on many factors, I don't know anything about it so I don't question them on that!

As far as fills go, I definitely think it is normal to have a bunch of fills before you are at your sweet spot. Again, I am no expert here, but they can only fill as much as your body allows. When you leave the office it looked like a good fill but then after that there isn't restriction. It's like your body gets used to it somehow, I don't really understand it, either, but I do think it is normal. My mom is on her 4th fill coming up here soon and she is feeling the same way as you. She wanted restriction the moment she got her first fill. I just don't think that happens. I think you guys will get there eventually, but it is a process.. I am not yet at my first fill so I am only speaking from watching my mom's fills and reading about other bandsters fills.

Actually, I'm getting ready for my 3rd fill rather than my 4th! And I only had my surgery on Jan 7.

Bogie, I know a gal who went to OCC two years ago and got a 4cc band. But like you, I haven't seen or heard of anybody recently who got anything smaller than 11cc. Not sure why, but one thing--the gal I know who had the 4cc band also took several fills before she had restriction, go figure.

Actually, I'm getting ready for my 3rd fill rather than my 4th! And I only had my surgery on Jan 7.

Bogie, I know a gal who went to OCC two years ago and got a 4cc band. But like you, I haven't seen or heard of anybody recently who got anything smaller than 11cc. Not sure why, but one thing--the gal I know who had the 4cc band also took several fills before she had restriction, go figure.

The tragic thing is that my TOM is not regular so there is no way to tell if I am going to be TOM or not when I schedule the fills. Last fill I was & I could not cancel due to my schedule being pretty tight at work. I have a feeling I am going to be TOM at this 4th fill also which means chances are I am going back to the OCC for a 5th fill next month as well. It is hard to explain but I just have this gut feeling that I am going to need at least 7.5cc for ideal restriction and right now I am only at 6.6CC. If I am TOM at my next fill this month then I will be lucky if I can get brought up to 7cc. It is a damn process and THANK GOD for Weight Watchers or I would be screwed royally.

I can't help resenting the fact that I do not have the 4cc band! The resentment will keep eating at me until I get what I paid for and that is the part that makes me go into these freaking spastic angry rampages. I hate the giagantor band and even though I know beyond a doubt that those with the smaller ones have to have just as many fills, I feel as though that my body would have been better suited for the smaller band and I would have reached ideal restriction sooner with it.

At least the band is working in one sense from day 1...I no longer have heartburn every other day & I have way less gas downstairs :lol:

Hi couple things on this topic.

I have not had any fills at the OCC. I live in Maryland and it was just too much of a time committment to get back to Tijuna for the fills. I lost all my weight (80 lbs) with 3 fills. I had an unfill of 1.10 ccs in August 2009 and it took me 2 more fills to get back to my sweetspot and I was good for about 4 months then bang I tightened up and had an emergency unfill on Tuesday evening (3/9/10) of .30. I had asked my fill doc to take out .50 but she thought that was too much. I now have 3.05 ccs in my band.

All my fills have been blind.

I love my fill doctor. She practices internal medicine but she had the band put on in Mexico about 5 years ago and has learned how to do the fills and now does them in the Washington DC area. It is great going to her because she is totally empathetic about the band and has been in our shoes. She lives our life herself and it is very refreshing.

One final note, don't let your band get too tight. It can be disasterous. I was down to under 120 lbs and am a size 0. Way too thin, but more importantly I just spent 5 days in the hospital on an IV for dehydration and getting antibiotics in the IV because my body wasn't taking in water to flush my system. It is a mess and am now trying to put on weight and get strong again.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!! LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND YOUR BAND!!!