Who needs surgery?

Gibby

I honestly don't mean this question as snarky in any way. I'm really just curious. Everything I've read says that lapband is for people who have 75-100 lbs to lose; yet I've seen many, many people in this forum who have 40-50 lbs to lose. How come surgeries are being performed for people who, relatively speaking, have so little to lose? Isn't that a bit drastic?

I honestly don't mean this question as snarky in any way. I'm really just curious. Everything I've read says that lapband is for people who have 75-100 lbs to lose; yet I've seen many, many people in this forum who have 40-50 lbs to lose. How come surgeries are being performed for people who, relatively speaking, have so little to lose? Isn't that a bit drastic?

Haven't had surgery but will in a short while. I have a lower bmi then recommended and honestly I'm doing it now because I see the writing on the wall. I think it makes more sense to do it at a lower bmi (if you can) because although I may not be considered morbidly obese I am obese I think that just because diabetes and high blood pressure haven't set in yet (im 32) they will eventually and I'd really like to avoid this if possible.

That is a great question and I am glad you asked it. My surgery BMI classified me as obese. I have struggled with weight all my life and have been unsuccessful in loosing it & maintaining weight loss with "traditional" methods. I decided to get the band as another tool in my arsenal so I could achieve and maintain optimal weight loss for good.

Since I did not have 75 - 100 pounds to loose I thought the band was the best option for me rather then gastric bypass or the gastric sleeve as the band is the least invasive with lower levels of complications during and after surgery.

I weighed about 185 at surgery and I am 5" 2.5 inches tall. I should weigh about 120 -125 pounds so technically I am a little over the 40 - 50 pounds you mentioned. I have a total of 65 pounds to loose. So far I have lost 17 pounds with excercise and Weight Watchers, hopefully when I get restriction the band will help me loose the additional 48 pounds.

At one time I had 10-15 lbs to lose. Then 30-40. Then 70. Then over 100. Then early last year back down to 30. Then a few months ago back up to 80. I don't know the back story of some of these people with only 40-50 lbs to lose but they may have lost that 40-50lbs over and over only to gain some back then lose some and gain again. I was 170 lbs just over a year ago only to go up to 215 in less than a year. I knew I'd be 300lbs eventually. So, at a weight of 170, with only 30-40lbs to lose, I would have had the surgery. I was struggling just to maintain that. Obviously I lost the struggle because I ended up at 215 when I scheduled the surgery. There's my two cents.