Only the strait poop...

14 members have voted

1. 1. those that have a band, do you have poop issues?

Hello everyone...I know there have been a lot of talk about the poop issue...So lets talk about it some more...

I have been banded and have had issues in the feces removal dept...With all the water we drink, why do you all think we suffer from this?

We chew our foods, we drinks lots of water, we are to stay active...but even though we are doing that...poop won't come...easily!

So I Benefiber, Miralax and if that doesn't work I take a laxative...I have talked to my doctor about it, and she changed a few of my medications around and it has helped.....

So I am asking...what works for you and what have you tried?

Kim

I do, but I had those issues before so i'm not much help. I try all kinds of stuff but so far nothing has worked. :(

The one thing that really works for me is to have veggies or fruit with every meal. I keep bags of frozen stuff because I can't eat that much at one time. My husband is not that much of a veggie eater, but I'm not much of a meat eater so I always think about what veggies I want before I think about the protein. Being on the band has been hard because I used to use a lot of veggies to help fill me up. I also bought the vitafusion gummies on Angie's recommendation and one of those a day helps things out too.

And if I ever have a really bad problem, I use this tea called smooth move (they have a chocolate flavor). Just make sure you are near a bathroom the first time you drink it. It usually works overnight, but you never know how your body will react.

This is a "sensitive" topic yes, but as an RN I have no shame with this and will tell u honestly what I have experienced with this. I was banded Jan 11 and was very (very) able to use the restroom throughout my liquid diet for the 3 weeks post-op, however once solids were started again it took about 2-3 weeks for me to become regular again. I paniced a little because I have never had any issues with poop before and felt awefullll! I took colace, metamucil and even glycerin suppositories when I coulnt be patient any longer. But like I said this was a temporary issue with me after solids were re-introduced which really makes perfect sense if you think about it.... if only liquids are going in, it cant become firm enough to cause you problems with constipation can it? However when solids start again, your body has to refamiliarize itself with now adding fluid to stool again in order for your body to eliminate it with ease (which it hasnt had to do for quite some time). Be patient with it and prepared yes. Have your "tool belt" with fix-its ready to go if you find yourself struggling but dont panic, it too will pass! *PUNN INTENDED* :lol:

PS Just had my first fill on Mar 5th and the same problem came with the 72hr liquid diet post fill then into solids again, but has since resolved as well. Good luck!!

When I was on the liquid diet and drank fruit juice, it gave me the runs, so in a pinch, you might try that. Otherwise, I use either flaxseed oil or ground flaxseeds in protein drinks, salads, oatmeal, or whatever. That seems to be working for me.

I drink what my DH fondly calls "poo coffee" every morning. This is aprox 8 oz coffee with 1 packet of fat free hot chocolate mix (25 cal), mix in 4 oz warm skim milk and a heaping tablespoon of benefiber. Just remember to keep up with the water during the day or it turns to cement in the gut. Works like a charm for me.