Not losing anything:(

shadi

After being banded on 2/1 and getting my first fill on 3/22 (5 cc's), I have not lost anything! What is wrong with me???

From the beginning, I only had 30 lbs to lose- could that be it? I'm not that heavy to lose a lot from the beginning?

After the first fill, I feel a little more restricted but I don't know why I'm not losing anything. This is really depressing me:( Any suggestions anyone? Please helP!!!

After being banded on 2/1 and getting my first fill on 3/22 (5 cc's), I have not lost anything! What is wrong with me???

From the beginning, I only had 30 lbs to lose- could that be it? I'm not that heavy to lose a lot from the beginning?

After the first fill, I feel a little more restricted but I don't know why I'm not losing anything. This is really depressing me:( Any suggestions anyone? Please helP!!!

Shadi, Not sure if this helps but the only way I lost any weight during the first 4 months of being banded was on Weight Watchers as my band di not kick in until my 4th fill on 3/18/2010 (Iwas banded on 11/13/09).

I think it is normal to not to have restriction after your first fill. I just got my 2nd fill and there was a huge difference. I had only lost and kept off 5 pounds from surgery and I started with a low BMI, too. I wouldn't give up yet - you still need to adjust the band to fit you before it starts working. Schedule your 2nd fill.

Ok - so I'll be the blunt one in this thread.

This is a huge misconception for many new banders - that you'll lose weight after you get the band.

We see this a million times over, 'I got banded 6 months ago - why aren't I losing weight?!'

The fact remains the same: you need to eat LESS & move MORE to lose weight.

It's the same for those who aren't banded.

My questions:

- are you food tracking? what are you EATING? What are you REALLY eating?

For many of us, the band is a tool, that's forced us to take full control over our diets & focus on the REAL issue, which is very often emotional over-eating.

- are you exercising daily? I recently posted a study, stating that a very minimum of 60 min a day, is needed just to maintain.

It's not magic, unfortunately.

You still need to watch every single thing you put in your mouth, and exercise very regularly.

Otherwise, you won't see any results with the land band.

• Like 1

I think it is normal to not to have restriction after your first fill. I just got my 2nd fill and there was a huge difference. I had only lost and kept off 5 pounds from surgery and I started with a low BMI, too. I wouldn't give up yet - you still need to adjust the band to fit you before it starts working. Schedule your 2nd fill.

Wow! JaJ you are a low BMI'er! Wow - not much to loose at all and I think Shadi could really use you as an example. Wow only 5 pounds since surgery ... okay well, there you go. And you got 6 cc on your first fill too & that is the most I have ever heard of on a first fill. I have 8cc in my band and I am struggling with it a bit. I basically have to relearn to eat or get a slight un-fill, my choice but such a hard one to make. It really sounds like you an Shadi are more of in the same situation. Thanks for sharing!

I was banded on 12/4/09 and have not lost a thing! I have the Realize 11 cc band. I just got my 5th fill ($$$) and am now at 7.8cc. After my last fill last Tuesday at 7cc, the fill tech was like "You WILL feel this restriction". I did feel it for my first meal on the 2nd day, then the restricted feeling went away entirely. When I went back today, the fill tech was really surprised at how quickly I emptied. She gave me another .8cc. I am pretty sick of the fills every week, but my fill center is sooooo conservative. I kind of wish I had gone back to OCC for my fills. I think I would have been at optimum restriction much sooner. I am hoping this fill does the trick.

I was banded 3/18 and never stopped being hungry! I had high hopes, after being told that the pre-op two weeks were the worst and that I would feed restriction from the swelling after surgery - but I woke up from Surgery hungry and have been hungry ever since! I know all the warnings about 'head hunger' - but if it's in my head, why is my tummy growling? Regardless, I've lost 18 lbs in 4 weeks (2 on pre op diet and 2 on post-op liquid diet) but I have 85 to lose (65 according to Dr Miranda, but I want to look hot!) I can see how easy it would be to gain or not lose even though on liquids - there are a lot of calories in juice and yogurt. Even tho' I am struggling with hunger, I keep telling myself it is temporary and I can do this. I'm keeping the calories to 1000 per day and drinking so much chicken broth I am afraid I am going to grow feathers. I have a month to go until my first fill and am determined not to gain once I am back on 'real' food. Meanwhile I am fantasizing about what my first meal is going to be :-)

I was banded on 12/4/09 and have not lost a thing! I have the Realize 11 cc band. I just got my 5th fill ($$$) and am now at 7.8cc. After my last fill last Tuesday at 7cc, the fill tech was like "You WILL feel this restriction". I did feel it for my first meal on the 2nd day, then the restricted feeling went away entirely. When I went back today, the fill tech was really surprised at how quickly I emptied. She gave me another .8cc. I am pretty sick of the fills every week, but my fill center is sooooo conservative. I kind of wish I had gone back to OCC for my fills. I think I would have been at optimum restriction much sooner. I am hoping this fill does the trick.

I can empathize with you on the fill talk. What I have learned about myself and fills is my stomach seems to be more sensitive. I aggressively went for my fills in the beginning. So if you look at my siggy, you can see how many fills and how much saline. Everyone is so different. All my fills were done under floro and I watched each of them with high hopes. The last 2 or my 5 fills I would say were by far the most aggressive of the whole. I am at a good level of restriction now. Last month, I had thought of going in for a "tweak" and have sense decided against it and converted my fill apt to a nurse visit. My weight has been stable this month. I am okay with that as I know that once I begin working out again and my life responds to the wonderful warmer weather I will come alive again and move more.

It is so easy to second guess ourselves, but bottom line is it is a process we have to go through to get to the restriction we want. What I found was the last, 5th fill got me to where I had desired to be.....only to find out the destination was not as I hoped it would be. Kind'a like the grass is greener on the other side of the fence type senerio. So I am chilling now and loving life. Not eating the best as I am a sugar addict and am currently practicing that addiction hard core. The one good thing is before my weight would have sky rocketed. Now, I maintain.

Oh crap, let me reel myself back in here...I have a tendency to go off on a tangent.....what I wanted to convey in this reply was when I went in for the last fill. I got drilled pretty hard by the staff. Where I go for fills we fill out a questionnaire....one that stops short of your shoe size and your drivers license number. You give them a shit ton of information...the PA and nurses assistant both really drilled me, which left me with the impression they didn't believe a word I was giving them, both treated me like I couldn't know what I was talking about and that I was exagerating my portions ect....okay so under floro she did the barium check and BAM!!! The liquid zoomed right through. Yes mama! The gal said to me, "OH! I see what you are saying now, you are wide open." I took that as her sincerest apology for how I was left to feel. If you get my meaning. We are all so different. The fill I got that day was a real fill - boy oh boy. Took me a hard minute to adjust to the new reality. So I got my restriction that didn't fade, plus a wee bit more than I bargined for. So even with the best fill science everyone is still different and has to go through the process to get the glorious land of restriction.

Now, why do I ramble on so, in hopes that what I say will matter to someone and hit home. IF not you then someone else who reads this.

You all will get there on fills. What I am coming to see clearly for my own journey is at this point a fill would only put me depending to heavily on the lovely band that is my ally. I don't want to abuse. I need to work out the kinks in my emotions and eating behaviors and preferences before I go tighten the zip tie.

Ah yet another layer on the proverbial onion....peel away...

Thank Jaj, I think you and I are on the same page. My BMI was just a little lower than yours I think.

What kind of restrictions are you feeling after your second fill?

I also know that I have to start exercising.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Th

• 1 month later...

The doctors at the OCC tell me that 3 fills should be all somebody needs in a lifetime, but I see alot of people getting 5 or 6 fills. What gives?

I was told the same thing. I did not get my fills at the OCC.. EVERYONE is so different, what someone can eat others cant, some can have a little fill and some have to have larger fills. I think it also depends on how "tight" someone wants to be. I will have to admit at first, if I could get food down in the morning I was freaking out thinking I needed a fill. It was crazy way of thinking but that is what I thought. So if you will see I had ALOT of fills. I do think it is important to maintain your fills but it is at the level of tightness that you have to adjust and see where you wanna be, there is no magic feel number. I have still have never gotten to my "sweet spot".

I do have to agree with what has been said, the band is a tool. You HAVE to watch what you put in your mouth, the calories that is in foods and you do have to exercise, the closer to goal the more you have to do this. I have been struggling for the past 6 months I would say to get out of the 180s and it is driving me crazy. I have 25 more pounds that I want to get off and I know the only way for me to do this is EXERCISE and I HATE exercise...lol

The band has helped me control the amount of food, the tummy hunger and even head hunger with fills BUT I MYSELF have to control the type of food that goes into my mouth! The foods that are really bad for me are the ones that goes right down...ughhhhh!!

Good Luck!!

Carrie biggrin.gif

The doctors at the OCC tell me that 3 fills should be all somebody needs in a lifetime, but I see alot of people getting 5 or 6 fills. What gives?

I would think this would be applicable to fills done by flouro.

NOT blind.

Hi,

I just had my first fill a week ago and it took all of last week to catch up mentally with my physical being....I do have some restriction and I can now tell when my new pouch is full, which doesn't feel like real fullness at all..so its a whole new world..I am able to eat about 1/3 the amount which is what was suggested..I noticed that adding protein helped right away with the staying full longer..I have even added some liquid protein as needed..this also helped with my energy levels, along with a liquid vitamin supplement..the band is a tool which is forcing me to look at my life in a new way..sometimes I don't want to do that mentally...but I'm committed. I am hoping for only a couple of more fills and doing it under floro is a must....hang in there and keep on working...the investment in you is worth it in the end..

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

It is so sad because I still have not lost any weight and I even have gained:(

I had my surgery on 2/1/10 and have had 2 fills so far, I am at 7 ccs now and not much restriction!

I am going back for a third fill next week. This is really frustrating me.

How is everyone else doing?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

It is so sad because I still have not lost any weight and I even have gained:(

I had my surgery on 2/1/10 and have had 2 fills so far, I am at 7 ccs now and not much restriction!

I am going back for a third fill next week. This is really frustrating me.

How is everyone else doing?

I am kinda in the same boat. I was banded on 9/30/09. I have only lost 22lbs. Not losing but gaining, have gained 5lbs back. Talked to Dr. and he said band at 8cc may be too tight for me so I went last week and had an unfill of 1cc. I can tell that food is no longer gettin stuck but not sure about losing any more weight! I only had 50lbs to lose but I would like to lose it! Good luck! I can say however that I no longer have high blood pressure or heartburn/acid reflux or migraines! That alone to me is worth it!

For those commenting that they're not losing.

What are you doing proactively to change this?

Are you FOOD JOURNALING?

Are you exercising DAILY?

Or are you just sitting there, thinking about the band and the fills you've gotten or had?

Our metabolisms doesn't miraculously increase by getting the band.