Metformin

KaylaJo

I am on the Pre-op Diet, and doing fairly well on it. I can’t say there is not a struggle some days or that I am not every hungry, but overall it’s not bad! I have lost 21 pounds so that rocks!!

Early this week I went to the doctor for some “other health” issues, related to being over weight. In the past I have been diagnosed with PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome). The doctor I seen recommended I start talking about a drug called Metformin. This drug, she said “will help your PCOS symptoms (lack of menstruation) and will also help your body even things out and for you to loose some weight”. I am thinking PERFECT!!! So after two days of this “helpful” drug I am sick! Terribly sick! I feel pukey, nauseated, and have diarrhea. I can’t hardly eat or hold food down, which I guess is helpful for loosing weight, but its hard to get thru daily life such as family, work, etc. while sick all day!

My questions: has anyone ever heard of this? Has anyone ever been on it?

Suggestions and thoughts are all appreciated!!

Wishing you all the best,

KJ

I am on the Pre-op Diet, and doing fairly well on it. I can't say there is not a struggle some days or that I am not every hungry, but overall it's not bad! I have lost 21 pounds so that rocks!!

Early this week I went to the doctor for some "other health" issues, related to being over weight. In the past I have been diagnosed with PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome). The doctor I seen recommended I start talking about a drug called Metformin. This drug, she said "will help your PCOS symptoms (lack of menstruation) and will also help your body even things out and for you to loose some weight". I am thinking PERFECT!!! So after two days of this "helpful" drug I am sick! Terribly sick! I feel pukey, nauseated, and have diarrhea. I can't hardly eat or hold food down, which I guess is helpful for loosing weight, but its hard to get thru daily life such as family, work, etc. while sick all day!

My questions: has anyone ever heard of this? Has anyone ever been on it?

Suggestions and thoughts are all appreciated!!

Wishing you all the best,

KJ

Metformin is a drug used to treat diabetes. If you google it you will be able to read all about it

Debbie

REVY IS CORRECT--A MED TO HELP KEEP BLOOD SUGARS IN THE NORMAL RANGE.

Glucophage, also known by the brand name Metformin, is a drug used to treat type II diabetes and has shown promise in treating Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Women with PCOS have elevated levels of testosterone. Metformin appears to help lower these levels, though research into exactly why Metformin helps PCOS patients is new and ongoing. Lowering testosterone levels can reverse many PCOS symptoms, including weight gain, excess hair growth and infertility.

Instructions.Step

1Consult with your doctor about the dosage of metformin that he's prescribed for you to take. Pills are available in 500mg, 850mg and 1000mg increments.

Step

2Discuss the advantages of the extended release version of metformin to see if it is right for you. The slow release reduces the gastrointestinal upset associated with metformin. It also allows you to take your full daily dose at one time.

Step

3Begin by taking a quarter of your full dose for the first week. Add another quarter for the second week, another quarter for the third week and then take the full dose starting at the fourth week. Ramping up to the full dose also lessens the severity of the gastrointestinal upset.

Step

4Be prepared to suffer some diarrhea, nausea, cramps and vomiting for the first couple of weeks. These side effects should go away after two or three weeks with regular use of metformin.

Step

5Take the metformin at the end of a meal or at bedtime to reduce the gastrointestinal side effects.

Step

6Follow a low glycemic index diet and avoid alcohol. This will help with the side effects, and also increase the effectiveness of metformin.

Step

7Continue taking the metformin for 6 months. The majority of PCOS patients will see improvements in insulin levels and ovulatory function within that time.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2318063_take-metformin-pcos.html SOURCE :wub:

FOLLOW UP WITH YOUR DOCTOR CONCERNING THE GI UPSET OF THIS MEDICATION

HOPE THIS HELPS

KIM :wub:

I've been taking metformin for the last three years, for diabetes. I agree with the last post. Your body will need a few weeks to get used to the dose and stepping it up a little at a time is a good idea.

Good luck and congrats on the weight loss.

I've been taking metformin for the last three years, for diabetes. I agree with the last post. Your body will need a few weeks to get used to the dose and stepping it up a little at a time is a good idea.

Good luck and congrats on the weight loss.

I agree. Tummy upset is a common side effect with metformin. It helps to always take it with food or milk. I found that the tummy problems improved the longer I was on the med.

Good luck!

I agree. Tummy upset is a common side effect with metformin. It helps to always take it with food or milk. I found that the tummy problems improved the longer I was on the med.

Good luck!

My doctor put my on Metformin to help my PCOS. He said it is medically proven that in patients with PCOS, who are normally obese to severely obese, regulating their insulin levels will made the adjustments in the hormones to make the body produce a menstrual flow.

My doc started me out on 500mg per day for 2 weeks then 500mg morning and night =1000mg/day for 2 weeks then finishing at 500mg 3 times a day totaling 1500mg/day. I think that I am going to extend the 500 for another week or 2, with the ok of my doctor)

Thanks for the information and advice. I will just stick it out and hopefully in the end, it will do what it’s meant to.

Thanks for the support and advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have diabetes and PCOS and while metformin is used most commonly to treat diabetes, it is also used for PCOS. I've never had a problem with it, but I do know you need to stop taking it 48 hours before surgery. They didn't say anything to me about it yet, but the last surgery I had (in Jan.) they said it was very important.

• 9 months later...

I know that this post is older but I thought I would answer it now because I have a friend who has the same condition and she is taking the same med. She says it takes a couple weeks to get used to taking it then she was better. She says it helps. I hope after all this time you are feeling better, doing well and losing the weight you thought you would.