Does the misery stop?

I am going into surgery tomorrow morning. I have been on the pre-op liquid diet and don't know how I will make it another 2-3 weeks on liquids :( Every day I am surrounded by beautiful and spectacular food that I may never be able to enjoy again. I was wondering if most of you get over that feeling, or if it just continues on. I also was concerned about vomitting. Im not prone to it now, but I don't want to be among co-workers and vomit because I ate a small piece of something. Having last minute second thoughts I guess, but in the end I do know that the band will me regain and maintain a healthier lifestyle. However I STILL WANT TO EAT!!!

I am going into surgery tomorrow morning. I have been on the pre-op liquid diet and don't know how I will make it another 2-3 weeks on liquids sad.gif Every day I am surrounded by beautiful and spectacular food that I may never be able to enjoy again. I was wondering if most of you get over that feeling, or if it just continues on. I also was concerned about vomitting. Im not prone to it now, but I don't want to be among co-workers and vomit because I ate a small piece of something. Having last minute second thoughts I guess, but in the end I do know that the band will me regain and maintain a healthier lifestyle. However I STILL WANT TO EAT!!!

First of all CONGRATS and Wooo hooo your journey is ready to begin!

I honestly did NOT have an issue with the 21 days of liquids. I really never felt hungry. You will get to do full liquids and liquid yogurt with other things as well. It is TOTALLY differernt when you get the band. You will get "full" and will not have that craving or at least it helped me, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Just be sure to ask your self if you are tummy hungry or is it "HEAD Hunger"

As far as the vomitting, I was VERY confused about this for a VERY long time. I have only "vomited" once when I found out my GB had to come out and then when I had my PS and but I was completly unfilled. I thought I was vomitting at times ( which honestly is not that many times with in a year half) but I was PBing.....TRUST me when you Vomite you WILL know it. HUGE difference or for me it was anyway......

The band for ME has been a TOOL. It has helped me with living a healthy lifestyle HOWEVER it will limit the amount of food you put into your mouth BUT YOU have to CHOOSE what kind of food goes it your mouth.....Honestly the better fill I have in my band the less "head" hunger and CRaving I have. When I need a fill, I CRAVE everything and want SWEETS out the kouzoo.(sp?)..LOL... Also, sip sip sip, walk walk walk and eat ALOT of Tomatoe Pie...LMAO!!!!! of course after 21 days...LOL

Last thing I would like to tell you is take LOTS of pics, even if you dont wanna, you will be glad you did. Start taking them now if not. Stay off the scale and dont stress...lol wink.gif

Good Luck to you tomorrow!!!!!!!

Carrie

I had my surgery on Monday. I really had a hard time on the pre op diet and felt very unsure about the post op.

Honestly I have been fine, not felt hungry really. I just drank liquids until dinner time when I had a yogurt drink and a popsicle and I'm now full up!

Don't worry you'll be fine. Good luck tomorrow.

Congratulations on your decision. I never had a problem with the 21 days either. I never got hungry and truly did not crave solid food. Their is such a variety of things to drink that you can mix lots of different flavours and feel fulfilled.

I agree with Kerry. Make sure you keep sipping fluids especially water and walk everyday. You will find the days fly by and it is fun watching the weight go down and your energy go up. Once you can have full fluids make sure that you look on the recipe section on the board, There is an amazing soup calle " Taco Soup" and it totally makes you forget about solid food . I was on liguids over Thanksgiving dinner last year and the Taco soup was so good I did not even envy everybody else who was chowing down on turkey and all the fixings. it really is amazing.

Good luck and keep us posted how you do. This forum is the best place to check in every day and stay motivated. People are so supportive here and everyone is at a different place in their journey so you can always get your questions answered or do a search and find the answer to almost anything.

Take care

Debbie

I am going into surgery tomorrow morning. I have been on the pre-op liquid diet and don't know how I will make it another 2-3 weeks on liquids :( Every day I am surrounded by beautiful and spectacular food that I may never be able to enjoy again. I was wondering if most of you get over that feeling, or if it just continues on. I also was concerned about vomitting. Im not prone to it now, but I don't want to be among co-workers and vomit because I ate a small piece of something. Having last minute second thoughts I guess, but in the end I do know that the band will me regain and maintain a healthier lifestyle. However I STILL WANT TO EAT!!!

Hotdog, congrats on your decision. You will do great. I was banded on 4/19 and thought liquids would be hard. The first week I was not hungry at all and only had one day that I was hungry more than normal. Then once I got to cream soups and protein shakes it was a breeze. I can't tell you not to worry but in 3 weks you will be laughing at yourself. TC RCR

Congrats and good luck tomorrow - i'm sure you will do great!!

For me the pre op diet was much harder than the post op. The first week I wasn't hungry at all and then the 2nd week was truly boredom I didn't do a good job of mixing it up. The worst was the last two days but that was all head hunger and again the boredom.

Just remember why you are doing this and if I can do it anyone can. :)

Good luck!!!

I thought the pre-op diet and post-op liquid phases were very helpful. The 3-weeks of liquids post op surely showed me how I was using food in negative ways. Looking for a snack is "something to do" when I didn't feel like balancing my checkbook or running the vacuum cleaner.

You are on the brink of a life-changing experience. If you need support, stay on this forum--everyone here is rootin' for ya!! All the best to you as you begin this journey :)

OMG... you will be surprised how good you will feel about yourself when you are done with the liquid phase... i thought i wouldnt get through it, and i did! i had to lock myself away during dinner time a few times... i turned up the tv, and lit scented candles to mask the yummy food smell in the room.. i my family was not at all sympathetic to my situation and even had the nerve to cook my favorite food on my 3rd day on liquids.. i have to admit, i did chew spit and rinse a few times... but towards the end, i stopped wanting the foods. good luck and you will do great. we're here for support!

Congratulations on your decision. I never had a problem with the 21 days either. I never got hungry and truly did not crave solid food. Their is such a variety of things to drink that you can mix lots of different flavours and feel fulfilled.

I agree with Kerry. Make sure you keep sipping fluids especially water and walk everyday. You will find the days fly by and it is fun watching the weight go down and your energy go up. Once you can have full fluids make sure that you look on the recipe section on the board, There is an amazing soup calle " Taco Soup" and it totally makes you forget about solid food . I was on liguids over Thanksgiving dinner last year and the Taco soup was so good I did not even envy everybody else who was chowing down on turkey and all the fixings. it really is amazing.

Good luck and keep us posted how you do. This forum is the best place to check in every day and stay motivated. People are so supportive here and everyone is at a different place in their journey so you can always get your questions answered or do a search and find the answer to almost anything.

Take care

Debbie

Oh too funny! I am eating the "Taco Soup" as we speak. It is so good. I make it with out any meat at all and just get the protein from the beans. I also use the low sodium taco seasoning and only half the packet of Ranch, just to help with the sodium and cals. It is amazing. I am on the pre-op diet (and waiting to sort out passports and finances to get the band) and have ate a ton of the soup. Its warm, taste good, and makes you feel full! i have lost 36 pounds already! Yay! Hang in there girl, you can do it. Search the web for new recipes you can make. Try them out. so will work, some wont- but you will have fun with food. Just in a different way then in the past. Best of luck!

KJ

okay.....i struggled with both phases of the diet..for me the emotional connection with food made both a struggle for me. I did loose the required weight for the pre-op. I did cheat on the post op. I chewed and spit a few times had some blended up food supper mushie on the last week.

I do not have the ability to say I did the diet perfect, but I did do the best I was able to do at the time. Cooking for my family was a real bitch.

The 1st week after surgery was super easy, I was not hungry, but the last week was difficult for me.

Ditto to everything everyone is posting..the biggest thing is to remember you are an individual in this with a group of wonderful supporters..but, only you can do the work..and it is work, but worth every moment..I am down 45 pounds from a year ago with the last 25 being helped along by the band...is it hard, yes, is it worth it, yes!! This week I am in beautiful Monterey CA, where I have some many happy memories to see my daughter graduate..as I sit reflecting on them I had to smile to myself when I realized those memories had food involved I mean, I can't tell you all the wonderful food down here that exsits...granted I didn't do too well yesterday, my first born is graduating college and I took her and 7 of her friends out to celebrate, but like everything else I have been learning with my new tool..I have to learn from my mistakes...it was still better than I would have done without my band...I have not had any throwing up issues..I have paced myself, and so far I have survived. You will to and you will be soo happy. Today instead of buying food and celebrating I bought myself a new jacket in two sizes smaller and got ton's of complements...woohoo small victories adding to larger ones..that's the way to go..

Congrats on your decision!

I too wondered how in the world, I would be able to handle the diet after the surgery. I think I even related it to like having a long LONG colonoscopy. I quickly realized that it was easier than I ever imagined. I did miss food, but not like before the surgery. I think you will find yourself being able to eat the foods you enjoy and find that you just don't eat as much (after the post-op diet). I miss bread, but not enough to make me wish I did not have this surgery. I think about the only thing I can not eat is white bread..but if I toast whole wheat bread and chew...and chew...and chew...I can eat that. I have been banded since March 18th and have only had 3 or 4 episodes of PBing as they say. I think I was to blame for most if not all of them for either eating too fast or not chewing enough. YOu will learn quickly on what works best for you.

The post-op diet was like a major reward to me just to get off of the liquids. Creamy soups were like a major treat for me. I think maybe we all had our second thoughts. So..hang in there and you will probably be so happy with the results, it will make it all worth it. I just returned from TJ after my first fill and it was a breeze.

Congrats Again,

Appy

((((((((((((((((((Hot Dog))))))))))))))))))))

Hugs to you. Congrats on becoming a bandito! A year ago I could have written this post, trust me. I remember an hour or so after surgery standing with other patients who had just had their surgery and one stated she was hungry and I stated that I felt as if I could have eaten a full meal as well.

I also had a huge fear of vomiting. As far as that goes, I try to eat slowly (when I can remember) and I try to chew chew chew (when I can remember). When I don't remember, like yesterday when I ate a strawberry too fast, I get a "warning" as I like to call it where I have a slight pain in my throat. When that happens, I immediately put my fork down and step away from the table. When I ignore the pain in my throat, that's when it's not pretty. And trust me, I love food, there are times I've tried to eat past that hurt pain. Once it happened once or twice, I decided not to do it any more. That is the beauty of the band.

I was miserable for about a week I think. And when I say miserable, I mean miserable. I really regretted getting the band just after the surgery, but despite it all, I'd go through all of the pain again to do it again. I started to feel that way about the band less than a month after the surgery. I can't guarantee you that you'll feel that way, but if you're like me, you won't regret it.

Hang in there. You will do great. If you're craving foods, think about keeping a journal so you can write down what you're craving. That helped me a lot. I kept a list on my cell phone of all of my food cravings in the order I had them. If I craved the same food twice, I'd move that to the top of the list. I thought if I kept a list, I'd have a road map of my favorite foods so when I had access to solid food again, I'd have a road map of what to try first. Turns out by the time I was ready to transition to solid foods, nothing on the list sounded good to me anymore.

There are some foods I can't eat, but not many. I did have a problem with a strawberry yesterday, but I don't think I chewed it well. Will I ever be able to go to a steak house and order prime rib again...nope, steak is out for me. I just can't chew it well enough. Same with french bread...well, bread in general. I find that after a year, I don't think about or crave either.

xo

I am here is TJ and my surgery is tomorrow May 24. I know that |i can do this but still scared. Also confused about preop diet and post op diet. I have lost 20 lbs since I started on Mar 30, but still weighing in at 243lb. Met With Dr. Ortiz last Thursday and he seems to be awesome. Not sure about the post op diet but will figure it out. will try to log in here each day.

Also had dental work done here on Friday and am waiting for my Crowns to be put in on wednesday coming up. Good thing I cant chew many things right now, so the liquid diet is actually working for me right now.

For me, if something gets stuck and I know it just isn't going to go down, I have plenty of warning. I don't vomit immediately. I have time to excuse myself to the restroom. I have never gotten stuck, then instantaneously vomitted. I was once in a situation where I had to wait about 20 mins. before I could throw up. You'll be fine. Good luck.