AUGUST SURGERIES AND FILLS

The OCC coordinators have been busy. They're already scheduling surgeries for August. If your scheduled for August and want to meet patients and make new friends that will be going through the same experiances as you, this is the topic. So lets hear from all of you that are coming in August.

• 2 weeks later...

Please let me know if this reply isn't correct. It's my first time to be a part of this forum. I scheduled my surgery a week ago for August 2nd. I need to lose about 14 pounds before surgery and wanted to give myself ample time. After one week I've lost 2.5 pounds, so it's a start. I am totally excited about my journey, but now that it's sunk it that I'm going to do this, I'm second guessing myself. I'm going through with it because I want for the first time in my life to feel good about myself and the way I look. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. If there is anyone in my area, let me know. I'd also like to read about others who are scheduled the first of August also to compare how we're progressing and hand-hold each other as the time gets closer.

• 1 month later...

Good evening. I am scheduled for surgery on 8/2/10 and coming down from Eastern Washington. I am nervous and excited both. Have been struggling with weight for about 20 years and have finally admitted to be a food addict. Loved Dolitte's article on good fillings. Thank you for the info.

Good evening. I am scheduled for surgery on 8/2/10 and coming down from Eastern Washington. I am nervous and excited both. Have been struggling with weight for about 20 years and have finally admitted to be a food addict. Loved Dolitte's article on good fillings. Thank you for the info.

I'm glad to know someone else will be banded the same day as I am. I've lost 10 of the 14 pounds that I need. I'll start the pre-op diet a week from Thursday, and am not looking forward to it. When I get hungry, I get sick to my stomach. I'm hoping I can handle the small amount of food and drinks. I've been going out to eat a lot this past month, but not eating as much and am still losing. I've been trying a variety of protein drinks and all are okay. I like Atkins the best because it is thicker. I am flying in Sunday and doing the testing and surgery first thing on the 2nd. We're staying at the Marriott, so maybe I'll run into you.

Bev

I'm glad to know someone else will be banded the same day as I am. I've lost 10 of the 14 pounds that I need. I'll start the pre-op diet a week from Thursday, and am not looking forward to it. When I get hungry, I get sick to my stomach. I'm hoping I can handle the small amount of food and drinks. I've been going out to eat a lot this past month, but not eating as much and am still losing. I've been trying a variety of protein drinks and all are okay. I like Atkins the best because it is thicker. I am flying in Sunday and doing the testing and surgery first thing on the 2nd. We're staying at the Marriott, so maybe I'll run into you.

Bev

We are arrving on MOnday so I am not sure if I will do pre op on Monday or Tuesday morning. Hope to see you

I am scheduled for my first fill on August 30th.

I'm about to schedule my first fill around the same time. I don't mean to stalk you but you had your surgery a couple of days before me and I'm trying to figure out what's "normal". I'm on day 16 of the liquid diet and boy is this the most difficult thing! At first there was no hunger or side effects from not eating just drinking something a few times a day. I figured it out one day, I had eaten a total of 400 cal for the day! But the last week has been harder. I feel hungry (or is it I just want something to eat), I am getting headaches and feeling tired. Cream soups and protein shakes are not getting it! Sorry to be a big complainer today.

We have a pretty busy social life and it's been hard to be active in my life. I never realized how much our lives revolve around food and wine! I miss wine, lol. Last night was a monthly potluck we have at our Country Club. Just imagine 40 women all cooking their most successful recipes, ugh! I'm doing pretty well just pushing food around my plate and sipping unsweet tea. How are you doing it?

Maybe I'll see you in Mexico :)

Honestly the last week has been horrible. First 7 or 8 days wasnt hungry. Then started on Yogurt and full liquids and had 3 days of very upset tummy and a few days of moderate hunger. last week has been horrible. i hear ya when it comes to protein shakes and creamy soup not cutting it. I work an oilfield joba nd have been out of town the last week to boot and have had a hard time. Ive been trying fruit smoothies and milkshakes and they havent helped either. Tomorrow is day 21 post op for me and i am looking forward to smaller portions of real food

Honestly the last week has been horrible. First 7 or 8 days wasnt hungry. Then started on Yogurt and full liquids and had 3 days of very upset tummy and a few days of moderate hunger. last week has been horrible. i hear ya when it comes to protein shakes and creamy soup not cutting it. I work an oilfield joba nd have been out of town the last week to boot and have had a hard time. Ive been trying fruit smoothies and milkshakes and they havent helped either. Tomorrow is day 21 post op for me and i am looking forward to smaller portions of real food

You are doing great Dwayne! Keep on going, it is worth it! Congrats!

Hi Dwayne,

To make a long story short, please be careful about the milkshakes. I started drinking them when I was sick. It was the beginning of gaining back weight. They go down too easy and no matter what the restriction they will still go down, even if slowly. You are probably in about the toughest part of the program. Becoming mentally strong. I guess as I read this I am really speaking to myself. I have a total unfill. August 23rd, I will be getting back on the road to restriction. I am headed back to OCC and getting a few things taken care of. Onward Ho! I wish you the best and may we both stay strong.

I am headed down the 22nd of August and having my port relocated and getting a fill on Aug. 23rd,. Hope to meet someone while down there. I am so excited to be "back on the road again".

Just felt the need to say that although I have not even been to the OCC yet (surgery 8/3/10), the quick responsiveness of all of the OCC staff I have had the chance to encounter via email/phone has made me feel so comfortable and safe with my decisions. Everyone has been tremendous. Between the awesome support and encouragement I am receiving from all of you Bandsters and then the responsiveness of the OCC, I absolutely know I have made a great choice and decision. Just finished reading Dr O's book and it filled in soooo many blanks for me. Thanks to everyone

I am going down on August 4th for a surgery date of August 6th. I would love to know if anyone else will be there. Does anyone have just one thing they wish they would have known right before or after that no one told them? Please tell me. I have learned so much on this forum but I want to try and ensure I don't make some of the mistakes I've read about either. I guess a mistake is bound to happen, but I'm trying to learn from all of yoU!

Momof4,

I just got home from Mexico today. I had lap band surgery on the 28th. I was very nervous before the surgery but it happens so fast. You really aren't under for very long at all. There is some soreness around the port incision afterward. The staff at the hospital was great. You will do fine! Remember to walk a lot afterward so you won't get gas pains.

Just felt the need to say that although I have not even been to the OCC yet (surgery 8/3/10), the quick responsiveness of all of the OCC staff I have had the chance to encounter via email/phone has made me feel so comfortable and safe with my decisions. Everyone has been tremendous. Between the awesome support and encouragement I am receiving from all of you Bandsters and then the responsiveness of the OCC, I absolutely know I have made a great choice and decision. Just finished reading Dr O's book and it filled in soooo many blanks for me. Thanks to everyone

What is the name of the book? Where did you get it?

Momof4,

I just got home from Mexico today. I had lap band surgery on the 28th. I was very nervous before the surgery but it happens so fast. You really aren't under for very long at all. There is some soreness around the port incision afterward. The staff at the hospital was great. You will do fine! Remember to walk a lot afterward so you won't get gas pains.

Thank you for the reply. I love hearing from anyone who has been through this... I will walk to shop! how is that? LOL Since you just came back, anything you can suggest about the area, what to do and not to do? Shopping, stay in your room? LOL I want to be safe, I'm going alone. We have two little girls and don't live near family... so my husband can't come with me. :-(

Thank you for the reply. I love hearing from anyone who has been through this... I will walk to shop! how is that? LOL Since you just came back, anything you can suggest about the area, what to do and not to do? Shopping, stay in your room? LOL I want to be safe, I'm going alone. We have two little girls and don't live near family... so my husband can't come with me. :-(

When are you going??

What is the name of the book? Where did you get it?

I got it through Amazon.com. It is Lap Band for life. excellent resource.

Hi Momof4!

The Marriott is very clean and nice. The worst part about it is that there are only 3 English speaking channels on the TV and they have subtitles in Spanish at the bottom of the screen!!! I would get so distracted reading subtitles, I would miss what I was watching! Then the commercials blast at you in Spanish. It was hard because my husband and I would get bored and want to watch Tv to pass the time away and there is nothing to watch!

The traffic is crazy down there and the drivers are crazy! The cab rides are a little scary because they drive like maniac's. I did feel safe down there so I don't want to alarm you with this info, just prepare you. There is an abandoned Hotel next to the Marriott that the Police have taken over as a headquarters. They have sandbags stacked up at the entrance with policemen behind them pointing machine guns out at the street 24/7 to protect their Command Center. It's pretty intimadating. We were told don't walk around alone at night.

If you get bored there is a Walmart down the street you can walk around in, it's a $4.00 cab ride or about a one mile walk. Or there is the Revolution Ave. you can take a cab ride to. They sell lots of souvenirs. The day before surgery Dr. Ortiz says we can have a "Farewell to Food" meal. So some people have went to this restaurant down the street with a big Sombrero as the roof called "El Potrero". We ate there and had fabulous service, excellent food, great prices, very clean.

It was a $4.00 cab ride to get there.

I found the food at the Marriott to be expensive and not very good. After surgery the Marrioot provides you with what they call the "OCC Package" this is free to you, or actually covered under our surgery fee. The OCC Package includes broth, the chicken was horrible but the beef was better, popsicles, two flavors, lemon or papaya. The lemon one was basically water with lemon juice squeezed in! Yuck! The papaya was better. Then you can have apple juice and bottled water.

You will also need $31.00 after surgery to by your meds from the OCC Center. Hope this helps!! : )

Thanks for all the advice lovesMaui...

Momof4 when are you going to be at OCC?

My surgery is on the 4th...I cant believe that is next week already!

I am getting nervouse and second guessing my decision to do this, I keep telling myself if I just try harder I can loose the weight.

Been saying that for close to 20 years now.

I know I am doing the right thing but it is still scarry.

I am all stocked up on juice and broth though!!!

Thanks for all the advice lovesMaui...

Momof4 when are you going to be at OCC?

My surgery is on the 4th...I cant believe that is next week already!

I am getting nervouse and second guessing my decision to do this, I keep telling myself if I just try harder I can loose the weight.

Been saying that for close to 20 years now.

I know I am doing the right thing but it is still scarry.

I am all stocked up on juice and broth though!!!

I am scheduled for the 3rd. And I also are spending these final days before the surgery second guessing myself. But I know in my heart that I will not continue to lose on my own so this is my option. I lose self control after about 30 to 45 days on a diet and then give up. So now the band will remind me of the true path. Hopefully our paths will cross while we are down there.