AUGUST SURGERIES AND FILLS

I am going down on August 4th for a surgery date of August 6th. I would love to know if anyone else will be there. Does anyone have just one thing they wish they would have known right before or after that no one told them? Please tell me. I have learned so much on this forum but I want to try and ensure I don't make some of the mistakes I've read about either. I guess a mistake is bound to happen, but I'm trying to learn from all of yoU!

Your food is free at the Marriott after surgery but if you take someone with you they have to pay. I would ask for receipts in the restaurant. They told us that they do not give receipts when I had my surgery. (June 2nd) Our check out food bill was $290 and I am sure they charged us wrong. ( I had my mother and daughter with me.)

They wrote all their expenses down in dollars but they gave us the bill in pesos when we checked out. We did not have any receipts to compare to what they had on the bill..

When we were there for the fill they did not want to give us receipts in the restaurant to keep either. When we talked to a manager they brought one.. You might want to make sure that you have all receipts in dollars and keep them for when you check out... We finally just got tired of the hassle and paid cash at each meal because we did not want to get stuck with a bill that I had to argue about when we checked out.

Erin and Canuk,

It is so normal to second guess your decision to do this. I did everyday before my surgery. I even did the morning of surgery. I was the biggest chicken, the biggest baby ever. The fact is, I could not lose the weight on my own. My addiction to food was greater than my will power. The band is a tool that is helping me. I have lost 18 lbs so far! Ten of those were pre op and 8 in the last 5 days! I understand being scared. The nurse gives you a pill under your tongue that dissolves and it calms you down to the point you don't care you are having surgery. Thank God for that pill!!!

You both can do this! Be strong, it will all be ok. : )

Erin and Canuk,

It is so normal to second guess your decision to do this. I did everyday before my surgery. I even did the morning of surgery. I was the biggest chicken, the biggest baby ever. The fact is, I could not lose the weight on my own. My addiction to food was greater than my will power. The band is a tool that is helping me. I have lost 18 lbs so far! Ten of those were pre op and 8 in the last 5 days! I understand being scared. The nurse gives you a pill under your tongue that dissolves and it calms you down to the point you don't care you are having surgery. Thank God for that pill!!!

You both can do this! Be strong, it will all be ok. : )

Thank you for your kind words and wishes. This is such an wonderful support group, I have been in many weight loss groups but never felt the support that I feel here. Thanks to all.

R

I had my surgery 7-28-10 I don't regret a thing! I am down 10 lbs already i feel great just a little tender where the port is placed. Everyone at the OCC was great. I most likely wont go back for a fill just because i amin Eastern Washington and the flights are too pricey right now.But everyone was great Thank goodness for the adivan pill and the shot because i was scard too bu I had my husband with me and he was my rock. Please dont't turn back it was well worth it! Tijuana is a bit scary I felt like i as in Iraq at times ....just stay close to the Hotel and if you do go somewhere take the Hotels taxi and have them wait!

I am going down on August 4th for a surgery date of August 6th. I would love to know if anyone else will be there. Does anyone have just one thing they wish they would have known right before or after that no one told them? Please tell me. I have learned so much on this forum but I want to try and ensure I don't make some of the mistakes I've read about either. I guess a mistake is bound to happen, but I'm trying to learn from all of yoU!

Don't drink the tap water, make sure you treat yourself to a "farewell meal" the day before surgery, don't stress (you'll kick yourself when it's all over, Dr. Ortiz and his staff run everything like a finely tuned machine), Take a Taxi to Revolution Blvd AKA Downtown Tijuana to shop or just see the sites, don't wander to much outside around the Marriott (it's not a great neighborhood). After surgery walk, walk, walk, and don't forget when you get home walk, walk, walk, it helps with healing. I just got banded on July 16th and I wouldn't change a thing. I made a great decision, Thanks OCC.

My flight leaves at 9am tomorrow!

I wish it was today so I could just get it over with.

I am definately going out for food tonight. And getting dessert!

I will see some of you there tomorrow.

p.s. tried out my protein drink today and it is actually pretty good and fills you up.

Please let me know if this reply isn't correct. It's my first time to be a part of this forum. I scheduled my surgery a week ago for August 2nd. I need to lose about 14 pounds before surgery and wanted to give myself ample time. After one week I've lost 2.5 pounds, so it's a start. I am totally excited about my journey, but now that it's sunk it that I'm going to do this, I'm second guessing myself. I'm going through with it because I want for the first time in my life to feel good about myself and the way I look. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. If there is anyone in my area, let me know. I'd also like to read about others who are scheduled the first of August also to compare how we're progressing and hand-hold each other as the time gets closer.

I'm excited to hear how your surgery went. I had a great experience and hope you did too. The 21 days on liquids can be challenging but not impossible. Good luck on your new journey. I look forward to hearing about your great success!

Honestly the last week has been horrible. First 7 or 8 days wasnt hungry. Then started on Yogurt and full liquids and had 3 days of very upset tummy and a few days of moderate hunger. last week has been horrible. i hear ya when it comes to protein shakes and creamy soup not cutting it. I work an oilfield joba nd have been out of town the last week to boot and have had a hard time. Ive been trying fruit smoothies and milkshakes and they havent helped either. Tomorrow is day 21 post op for me and i am looking forward to smaller portions of real food

Dwayne,

I haven't really kept up on here. Life gets in the way, as usual. I did schedule my first fill for Aug. 17th. I'm not feeling any restriction now but there are definately no-no foods. Bread is a thing of the past, as is flour tortillas and even though I can eat corn tortillas I have to be so careful. But I've noticed if the consistancy is fine I don't feel any restriction. That makes me really nervous. I have lost 30 lbs pre and post op and am freaking out about gaining anything back. I do notice I go over my food choices very carefully. I think going to all this trouble and expense has finally made an impact on my thinking and, more importantly, on my eating. I found a great app for my droid with calorie counts for most food including restaurants! It's my new favorite thing. I do feel a lot of restriction in the morning. A cup of hot tea seems to help. Keep me up on all your success.

PS What oilfield do you work out of, I'm originally from OKlahoma (lots of family still in that industry)

I am headed down the 22nd of August and having my port relocated and getting a fill on Aug. 23rd,. Hope to meet someone while down there. I am so excited to be "back on the road again".

I'm Having surgery the 23rd, maybe I will see you there!

Thanks for all the advice lovesMaui...

Momof4 when are you going to be at OCC?

My surgery is on the 4th...I cant believe that is next week already!

I am getting nervouse and second guessing my decision to do this, I keep telling myself if I just try harder I can loose the weight.

Been saying that for close to 20 years now.

I know I am doing the right thing but it is still scarry.

I am all stocked up on juice and broth though!!!

I leave tomorrow and have surgery the 6th. I am going by myself since we have small children.... I'm nervous!

Hi Momof4!

The Marriott is very clean and nice. The worst part about it is that there are only 3 English speaking channels on the TV and they have subtitles in Spanish at the bottom of the screen!!! I would get so distracted reading subtitles, I would miss what I was watching! Then the commercials blast at you in Spanish. It was hard because my husband and I would get bored and want to watch Tv to pass the time away and there is nothing to watch!

The traffic is crazy down there and the drivers are crazy! The cab rides are a little scary because they drive like maniac's. I did feel safe down there so I don't want to alarm you with this info, just prepare you. There is an abandoned Hotel next to the Marriott that the Police have taken over as a headquarters. They have sandbags stacked up at the entrance with policemen behind them pointing machine guns out at the street 24/7 to protect their Command Center. It's pretty intimadating. We were told don't walk around alone at night.

If you get bored there is a Walmart down the street you can walk around in, it's a $4.00 cab ride or about a one mile walk. Or there is the Revolution Ave. you can take a cab ride to. They sell lots of souvenirs. The day before surgery Dr. Ortiz says we can have a "Farewell to Food" meal. So some people have went to this restaurant down the street with a big Sombrero as the roof called "El Potrero". We ate there and had fabulous service, excellent food, great prices, very clean.

It was a $4.00 cab ride to get there.

I found the food at the Marriott to be expensive and not very good. After surgery the Marrioot provides you with what they call the "OCC Package" this is free to you, or actually covered under our surgery fee. The OCC Package includes broth, the chicken was horrible but the beef was better, popsicles, two flavors, lemon or papaya. The lemon one was basically water with lemon juice squeezed in! Yuck! The papaya was better. Then you can have apple juice and bottled water.

You will also need $31.00 after surgery to by your meds from the OCC Center. Hope this helps!! : )

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO helpful! I am so glad I read this. I leave tomorrow... i would have been freaking out if I saw folks pointing guns at me.... I'm glad to know about the shopping close by too and the medicine money.... They need a checklist of this kind of thing...I really wish my husband was going with me. i'm very nervous, but I know this is the right decision. So hard to be away from them for this long. I hope I don't get too bored. I will have no money left if I keep shopping. I'm not sure I will get a "last Meal" I'm still struggling to get all my weight off... I hope I weigh in right on track!

Wish me luck!

Momof4,

I wish you more than luck. I wish complete success for you!! I will say a prayer for your nerves. If you only knew how much I understand. I was so nervous too and very emotional about the whole experience. I am so proud of you for doing this. I respect you for traveling alone, despite your fears, and for making this decision so you can get healthy for those 4 kids.

You are going to do fine. OCC has computers and so does the Marriott in their Business Center. So keep us updated. Oh and I forgot to tell you that when you are in your room at the Surgery Center, there is a phone and you can make all the calls you want in the USA for FREE!!!

Paul,

Can't believe it's already time for your first fill! You have lost so much weight already, it's amazing!! I sincerely hope they get it just right this first fill and you have perfect restriction the first time! Are you flying down to Mexico? Best Wishes!!

Cheryl

I am actually driving. I thought I would enjoy a day out of the desert heat. Email me and let me know if you want to have liquids :) LOL I believe I will be back on them for a couple of days.

Paul

I just scheduled my first fill for August 28th. For those of you who are getting the surgery, it was a positive experience. I have not had any complications and I have already recommended Dr. Ortiz to people. You won't regret this decision!

That is great news Sassy. I am glad you are feeling great. I leave Thursday and get banded on Friday. I will keep you posted.

Momof4,

I wish you more than luck. I wish complete success for you!! I will say a prayer for your nerves. If you only knew how much I understand. I was so nervous too and very emotional about the whole experience. I am so proud of you for doing this. I respect you for traveling alone, despite your fears, and for making this decision so you can get healthy for those 4 kids.

You are going to do fine. OCC has computers and so does the Marriott in their Business Center. So keep us updated. Oh and I forgot to tell you that when you are in your room at the Surgery Center, there is a phone and you can make all the calls you want in the USA for FREE!!!

I am home!!! I met some incredible people while I was there. I must say I was very nervous, but after meeting people down there going through the same experience I was, made it all better! Shout out to Michelle and Erin! Thank you so much for making my experience even better. Without you I know it would not have been the same. I also know I will keep in touch with them. I got on the scale first thing when I got home this morning and it showed I had gained 2 lbs from day of surgery, which is nearly impossible... I have had nothing to eat... so I'll be anxious to see what the scale says over the next few days.... I'll keep you all posted.

I am home!!! I met some incredible people while I was there. I must say I was very nervous, but after meeting people down there going through the same experience I was, made it all better! Shout out to Michelle and Erin! Thank you so much for making my experience even better. Without you I know it would not have been the same. I also know I will keep in touch with them. I got on the scale first thing when I got home this morning and it showed I had gained 2 lbs from day of surgery, which is nearly impossible... I have had nothing to eat... so I'll be anxious to see what the scale says over the next few days.... I'll keep you all posted.

I beleive that the 2 lbs is a false gain. Remember you are bloated and swollen. This will lead to false weight reports. I would give yourself at least a week before stepping on the scale. Same goes for measurements.

Momof4,

So glad to have met you and I am so happy you are home and had a good experience.

I also am pretty bloated and have not lost weight yet. I must be the only person to be on clear liquids for over 5 days now and not seen a difference on the scale yet!

We will both get there.

So far the liquids have not been horrible, I am not hungry but I want to chew something crunchy. A hot mug of chicken broth helps take away that need and fills me right up. I get drinkable yogurt on Wed, yipee.

Good luck and talk to you later, Erin

Momof4,

So glad to have met you and I am so happy you are home and had a good experience.

I also am pretty bloated and have not lost weight yet. I must be the only person to be on clear liquids for over 5 days now and not seen a difference on the scale yet!

We will both get there.

So far the liquids have not been horrible, I am not hungry but I want to chew something crunchy. A hot mug of chicken broth helps take away that need and fills me right up. I get drinkable yogurt on Wed, yipee.

Good luck and talk to you later, Erin

• 2 weeks later...

I had my band on the same day as you!! I have only lost 3 pounds since surgery, but am very optimistic!! Best wishes to you!!