Got my second fill yesterday and this is what happened. Thoughts?

Hi All,

I had surgery on April 12th. Got my fist fill on May 25th at 5.0 cc's. I really had no restriction. Yesterday, I got another fill at the OCC and put me at 8.0cc. So, I had a couple of pieces of watermelon this morning and it really hurt going down. Do I need to chew better?

For lunch I just took about three bites of left over pasta and it got stuck. I threw up about three times and it was slimy. So, now I know I can't eat pasta! Do you think the band is

too tight or I just need to learn to eat slower and chew better?

Thanks!

Heidi

yeah this happened to me too. just chew a lot slower. and stay away from pasta & bread. but if you get to the point where you can't eat more than 3 bites, check with the OCC. you be too tight. I got to 8ccs on my 3rd fill so i got to my restriction point alot slower than that. good luck

Hi Heidi, I was there with you yesterday, I got my first fill. That really sucks but maybe you are just adjusting, I would give it a day or two, unless your throwing up everything.

On the bright side you obviously have some restriction!! :) I am struggling with the damn liquids! What is the purpose of the liquids after your first fill???

Hi All,

I had surgery on April 12th. Got my fist fill on May 25th at 5.0 cc's. I really had no restriction. Yesterday, I got another fill at the OCC and put me at 8.0cc. So, I had a couple of pieces of watermelon this morning and it really hurt going down. Do I need to chew better?

For lunch I just took about three bites of left over pasta and it got stuck. I threw up about three times and it was slimy. So, now I know I can't eat pasta! Do you think the band is

too tight or I just need to learn to eat slower and chew better?

Thanks!

Heidi

Hi,

I had my second fill about two weeks ago. First off I think I was a bit swollen due to the fill and took it easy the first couple of days..soft food. Then I got brave so here is what I have learned in two weeks:

NO

Wheat or any other bread

fibrous veggies, AKA asparagus

fibrous fruit, pineapple

Rice

Beef

flour tortilla

YES

Chicken - brown meat, white too dry

Fish- any OK

Pasta, with a lot of chewing

Apple sauce

Cottage cheese

Fruit - canned or bottled (easier to chew/digest then fresh)

Almond bread or pancakes (made with almond flour)

Polenta - soft

Corn tortilla

Salad made from baby lettuce, baby spinach, etc.

Nuts - chewed well

yogurts

So, as the weeks progress I am still learning and making notes..I had one episode of "slimming" with beef, and another with the PBing I have tried to avoid so much with the wheat bread. So now I eat very carefully and keep notes! My suggestion, is to go slower, chew slower and more, give your band a couple of days rest with soft foods.

Thanks everyone for you thoughts. Last night I tried to eat Halibut and squash and it really hurt going down. I felt like I wanted to throw it up, but didn't. The plus side is I'm down 2 pounds today. I just want to make sure the band isn't too tight. I'll give it a couple of days and see how it goes. I defiantly can't be throwing up or having a hard time eating around my husband.

He already thinks getting the lap band was a bit extreme, so I certainly don't want to be throwing up every time I eat!!!

I'm going to stay away from bread and pasta. What are everyone's thoughts on rice?

Thanks everyone for you thoughts. Last night I tried to eat Halibut and squash and it really hurt going down. I felt like I wanted to throw it up, but didn't. The plus side is I'm down 2 pounds today. I just want to make sure the band isn't too tight. I'll give it a couple of days and see how it goes. I defiantly can't be throwing up or having a hard time eating around my husband.

He already thinks getting the lap band was a bit extreme, so I certainly don't want to be throwing up every time I eat!!!

I'm going to stay away from bread and pasta. What are everyone's thoughts on rice?

to be honest with you. I would avoid rice. I had a terrible experience with 1 bite of sushi (chewed very well)

Also, I think we all went through this phase, you learn how to eat with restriction and what works for you and what doesnt.

Yikes.

This thread has gotten me scared. I havent had much in the way of restriction so I guess fill #2 this Saturday is taking me into BandLand for reals this time.

It seems gluten causes problems (bread, pasta) which is ok bc I havent been eating hardly any bread or pasta in the last four months. No biggie there. Having to give up beef is making me sad, but Ive been eating loads of it in anticipation :)

I think the morning after my fill (im staying the night) I will have coffee first then try something sorta slidey, maybe cottage cheese or soft fruit. I want to make sure I can get at least slideys down before leaving.

Nervous now...

Everyone is so different - pasta actually is like a slider food for me I can eat it just about anytime. But for sure rice is a no no for me haven't touched it in a long time. I can do tortillias but no bread for me unless I take the itsy bitsyist of bites. I was at a place where I love their rolls and I just couldn't resist so I took tiny little bites and it was OK. But if I were you I wouldn't push it on that. I can still do most meats but ground beef can give me trouble (especially burgers) and also if the food is dry at all so I always have some type of sauce I can put on it. Even then I am leary so when i'm out I usually stick with fish or pasta when i'm at home and making it myself i'm cool w/ most meats.

This is where it really starts getting fun b/c everyone is sooo different. Even for me it depends from day to day what I can eat. I could eat the exact same thing two days in a row - one day fine and the next day blam i'm sick!

Just take it super slow and when you feel that tightness back off. Getting up and walking or even sometimes eating standing up helps me. Good luck!

I'm back....today I tried to eat some mashed up tuna from a sushi place. I eat three bites and threw up and was sick about three times. When I got home I had some pita chips and they went down fine. I spoke to Dr Soo and he said to come in and get a little taken out. I live in San Diego, but it is kind of a pain to drag myself down there again! I just can't be sick and unable to eat around my husband. He will think I am nuts to have this thing in my stomach!

Bummer about the unfil Heidi, and Im sure its a drag having the cross the border again. Good thing you don't live further, right?

Thats primarily why I am staying the night for fill #2, just in case... it costs too much to haul my ace down to TJ.

Good luck with the unfill, when you heading in? Today?

I didn't eat sushi yesterday. It was straight tuna with no rice. I'm wondering if I'm too tight or this is the way it is supposed to feel??? I did speak to Dr So yesterday and he said to come

back and he"ll take out about one cc. So, how slow do you have to eat? I just ate a hard granola bar and that went down fine.

I didn't eat sushi yesterday. It was straight tuna with no rice. I'm wondering if I'm too tight or this is the way it is supposed to feel??? I did speak to Dr So yesterday and he said to come

back and he"ll take out about one cc. So, how slow do you have to eat? I just ate a hard granola bar and that went down fine.

The band takes some getting use to. This will be a good time for you to really pay attention to what you are eating, how fast, and how fast you are chewing. Each of us has the learning curve. Depending on the food, or the day with the band I can gauge how long it will take me to eat certain foods. Listen to you body. Start to pay attention to how your stoma, esphogus, and body feels.

S-L-O-W down, chew chew chew. Take it easy. If you have a PB, take it easy on your body. There are certain foods, I can eat with little or no problems and then others where I have to pay close attention to what I am doing.

Given you have reached restriction FAST. You need to slow it up and really be mindful of what you are eating. This is where you are learning to live with the band.

The band takes some getting use to. This will be a good time for you to really pay attention to what you are eating, how fast, and how fast you are chewing. Each of us has the learning curve. Depending on the food, or the day with the band I can gauge how long it will take me to eat certain foods. Listen to you body. Start to pay attention to how your stoma, esphogus, and body feels.

S-L-O-W down, chew chew chew. Take it easy. If you have a PB, take it easy on your body. There are certain foods, I can eat with little or no problems and then others where I have to pay close attention to what I am doing.

Given you have reached restriction FAST. You need to slow it up and really be mindful of what you are eating. This is where you are learning to live with the band.

Just a quick note to say cant eat pasta or rice and have to go very slow with halibut. It seems very heavy. Also with melons I have to go slow and really chew. take care!