Anyone else losing hair??

I've lost 74 pounds in 5 months and have been losing hair for about 2 months now. I thought the hair loss would slow down, but it hasn't. I'm losing hair all day long. Luckily I have very thick hair, but this is becoming kind of scary. Has anyone else experienced this? The lady that does my hair has another client that had lapband surgery and that client lost a lot of hair too, but I've never been told this could be a "side effect". Just curious and wondering if there is anything I should be doing or taking to slow it down some.

Thank you!

Hi Jenni. I have very thick hair as well. I lost a ton of hair to begin with and it was scarey. Used to come out in clumps. I don't lose hair anymore it just stopped . Probably lost hair for the first 6 months then it was fine.

LIke I said my hair is really thick so it was not too much of an issue. If I thin hair I would have been freaking out probably

Debbie

I have experienced alot of hair loss as well since my banding last October. The reason for the hair loss is that your protein intake is not enough. If you weigh 200 lbs you should be taking in approx 90-100 grams of protein per day. They say a safe way to calculate what you should be taking in for protein is to divide your weight in half and that should be your grams of protein you should take in EVERY day.

I hope this helps. !

Marianne

I've lost 74 pounds in 5 months and have been losing hair for about 2 months now. I thought the hair loss would slow down, but it hasn't. I'm losing hair all day long. Luckily I have very thick hair, but this is becoming kind of scary. Has anyone else experienced this? The lady that does my hair has another client that had lapband surgery and that client lost a lot of hair too, but I've never been told this could be a "side effect". Just curious and wondering if there is anything I should be doing or taking to slow it down some.

Thank you!

Are you getting enough protein????

Are you getting enough protein????

I have been losing my hair like crazy. My hair was not that thick to beging with and it was coming out in big clumps. I knew it was a side affect of the surgery, and I knew that I was not getting enough protei. I have just started to add more protein in and I have been eating too much carbs and not enough protein. I was struggeling to eat protein because a lot of it wouldn’t go down. Like eggs and chicken wouldn’t go through the band that well… they still don’t, but I try to take the time to eat stop and then go back to eat more.

I am losing hair too. Huge clumps in the drain after I shower. I find it very disconcerting. I follow a lo-carb eating plan so I get plenty of protein, generally between 80-90g per day. I think its plenty. Could it be something else?

Thank you all for helping me with this. I guess I'm getting enough protein, I suppose I have to keep better track of that. I usually have protein with every meal, because I have found that is what keeps me from getting so hungry between meals, but I can't say exactly how much protein. I lose bunches in the shower, the hair brush is full and has to be cleaned 2 or 3 times while drying, then more hair when I style, then more hanging from my clothes!!! The bathroom floor is usually covered too. I know it is gross, and I still have plenty of hair left, thank the Lord! I'll let you all know if things change after keeping a closer watch on my protein intake. Thanks again!

It's a deficiency in zinc & iron that causes hair loss - those are also the 2 first to go on a low calorie diet.

Here's a bit more basic info on the topic.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4681047_causes-hair-loss-during-dieting.html

You need to really start concentrating on the nutrients you're taking in - not the calories.

A number of things can cause excessive hair loss. For example, about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary. I blogged about it a long time ago on here and it has a name....something with a T.... <BR><BR>k ....went back and found it...<BR>Google Telogen and read about it. <BR>

A number of things can cause excessive hair loss. For example, about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary. I blogged about it a long time ago on here and it has a name....something with a T.... <BR><BR>k ....went back and found it...<BR>Google Telogen and read about it. <BR>

Yeah, that happened to me each time I had a baby, and my mom who's a nurse says it's normal for any event like surgery, etc.

I think the hair loss is related to lack of vitamins. I don't remember Dr. Miranda saying anything to me about taking vitamins, but a short time after starting 1 centrum chewable vitamin in the morning and the evening, the hair loss has stopped. Hope that helps.

i take an adults multivitamin but it does not include zinc or iron. ill see if i can change it up or find ways to increase via diet instead. i hate seeing a huuuuuuuuge mound of hair in the drain after every single shower.

i take an adults multivitamin but it does not include zinc or iron. ill see if i can change it up or find ways to increase via diet instead. i hate seeing a huuuuuuuuge mound of hair in the drain after every single shower.

Oh yeah, I totally remember the mega hairloss. Hubby had to snake the shower twice. I couldn't believe the amount of hair.....I was sooo thankful when it stopped!

Now, I have normal range hair molting....

Our bodies adjust!

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for your post! I have been losing a lot of hair lately.. It wouldn't be so bad if my hair was thick, but its very thin, I just happen to have a lot!

The funny thing is I had really started to work in more protein, but I wasn't sure how much would be good. So thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

I have experienced alot of hair loss as well since my banding last October. The reason for the hair loss is that your protein intake is not enough. If you weigh 200 lbs you should be taking in approx 90-100 grams of protein per day. They say a safe way to calculate what you should be taking in for protein is to divide your weight in half and that should be your grams of protein you should take in EVERY day.

I hope this helps. !

Marianne

• 2 months later...