PreOp weight loss for high BMI - scared I won't make it!!

Well, first let me start by saying I am so excited!! I have been thinking about having the LapBand for 5 years, and I have finally made the commitment to do it.

That being said...I talked to Dr. Miranda yesterday and she wants me to lose 48 pounds before my December 28th surgery date. That is 12 weeks from today, and it is a little discouraging. Don't get me wrong...I am going to work my rear end off to get there. But what if I don't make it? Will they turn me away? I am 5'4" and currently 369 lbs - which means my BMI is 63. AARGH!! I can't believe I just typed that!! I know that's a really high BMI, but if I could just drop 50 pounds like nothing, I wouldn't be getting this surgery done.

I'm really not trying to sound whiny, or like I don't want to try - I am just looking for a little insight.

I satrted the diet she prescribed this morning, and I have been drinking water like it's going out of style!! Well, at least if they turn me away I will know I tried!!

Just keep at it. I didn't lose everything I was supposed to but they took me. I'll bet if you lost 35-40 pounds they wouldn't be too concerned. Why don't you call or email them with your concerns. They'll be better able to tell you what they find acceptable. Until then you seem to be on the right track. Remember, you are a little heavier and those who are heavier tend to lose faster. You hang in there and be sure to contact the OCC with your questions.

Well, first let me start by saying I am so excited!! I have been thinking about having the LapBand for 5 years, and I have finally made the commitment to do it.

That being said...I talked to Dr. Miranda yesterday and she wants me to lose 48 pounds before my December 28th surgery date. That is 12 weeks from today, and it is a little discouraging. Don't get me wrong...I am going to work my rear end off to get there. But what if I don't make it? Will they turn me away? I am 5'4" and currently 369 lbs - which means my BMI is 63. AARGH!! I can't believe I just typed that!! I know that's a really high BMI, but if I could just drop 50 pounds like nothing, I wouldn't be getting this surgery done.

I'm really not trying to sound whiny, or like I don't want to try - I am just looking for a little insight.

I satrted the diet she prescribed this morning, and I have been drinking water like it's going out of style!! Well, at least if they turn me away I will know I tried!!

Don't worry to much about this. I know it sounds daunting but if you are diligent on Dr. Miranda's diet, you will succeed. The reasoning behind the need to lose the pre op weight is to ensure a more successful surgery (or at least that is what I remember being told.) You will make it, stay positive, stay on the forum for support and understanding and know we have all been there. Everyone of us was required to lose a percentage of our weight prior to the surgery, I know I felt the same way as you are feeling now. I'm behind you as I know others will be.

I was terrified of this, and I had to lose 10 - 15 lbs, which I know is not as much as you, but I was terrified for the same reason, I never had before. The point of the surgery is also to shrink your liver, a fatty liver is in the way of the surgery area and you have a better possibilty of not having complications from the surgery if you shrink your liver. are you on the 2 protien shakes and 1 lean cuisine meal - you should keep it as simple as possible.

I experienced that the first 2 weekks I did good and lost 8 lbs, then I was like frozen there for a week, and on thursday before my monday surgery dr miranda called and she was like if you have stuck to the diet your liver will be shrunk so don't worry too much, but for this weekend do 3 protien shakes a day, and when I got there on Monday I was down 18 lbs, could not believe it. So you just never know

You have to believe in yourself, and know it will be hard work. I know that process really helped prepare me for the post op period and just realizing that this is hard work, but it will be worth it.

we are here for you too, when you want to eat, grab a drink and type on a forum.

lisa

I was also terrified I wouldn't lose the weight I needed to - that is probably a common fear since we pretty much all have issues with food. I did the 7 day protein shakes and green salads, and it was tough but not terrible.

You will do great!

I am like most people and was scared about the weight loss during the pre-op diet. I ended up losing 15 lbs, which is what Dr. Miranda requested. Some great tips are to eat Fiber Choice Weight Management tablets (http://www.fiberchoice.com/Products_wm.aspx) and eat steamed edamame, which is an approved green vegetable that is high in protein, which will keep you full longer. Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing how wonderful your weight loss journey is. Keep your head up!!! The scale will go down!!!

Mark :D

When I read this I thought I was reading what I had posted a month ago. I too have a high BMI (56) and was told to lose 40 pounds before my oct. 22 surgery. The only thing is that I only had 7 weeks to do it. I was so overwhelmed and scared I thought about nothing but that and was even having nightmares about it. I took the same attitude that you did and I decided if I got turned down at least I knew I did everything I could. So, I made a food and activity log and put a weekly goal for weightloss on my calendar. I have lost 22 pounds in the past 4 weeks and that was with a 1.5 week no loss during my period. I send Dr. miranda my food and activity log every week with my checkin and ask her questions that I have. She has been so helpful. When I have been most down she would encourage me and go over the log and tell me I was doing great. I called her this week (i am 2 weeks out) and told her that I did not think I would make the 40 lbs and that I was worried about being sent back home. She told me that if I could lose 10 more pounds I would be good to go and she would approve me. This helped so much. I am doing the adkin induction diet and she has told me to stay on it unless I stop losing and then I would need to go to the all liquid. Let me know if you need someone that is in the same boat to talk with I know I felt so overwhelmed when I got started and now I am just excited. Here is a sample of what my food log looks like.

9-2-10

Water: 96 oz

Breakfast: Atkins shake

Lunch: Atkins shake

Snack: cucumbers, ¼ c sunflower seeds

1 sf jello

Dinner: salad with green peppers and chicken

Meds: metformin,

400 mcg CP

2 fiber pills

Activity: 30 Minutes walking

10 minutes elliptical

Notes: I got an elliptical today but discovered that it is a lot harder than walking I only made it 10 minutes but will keep adding on more time.

And here is what the excel spread sheet I use to track my goals and actual loss looks like

Date Weight (pounds) Chest (inches) Waist (inches) Hips (inches) Wrist (inches) Forearm (inches) Size Estimated Lean Body Weight Estimated Body Fat Weight Estimated Body Fat Percentage Estimated Body Mass Index (BMI)

9/1/2010 348.9 55.5 58.75 66 7.25 11.5 30/4x 246.02 102.88 29.49 56 1/3

9/10/2010 334.9 55.5 58.75 66 7.25 11.5 30/4x 235.78 99.12 29.60 54

9/17/2010 335.6 55.5 58.75 66 7.25 11.5 30/4x 236.29 99.31 29.59 54 1/6

9/24/2010 333.3 55.5 58.75 66 7.25 11.5 30/4x 234.60 98.70 29.61 53 4/5

10/1/2010 327.3 55 56.5 63.5 7.25 11.5 28/3x 231.19 96.11 29.36 52 5/6

10/8/2010 326 55 56.5 63.5 7.25 11.5 28/3x 230.24 95.76 29.38 52 3/5

10/15/2010 321 55 56.5 63.5 7.25 11.5 28/3x 226.58 94.42 29.42 51 4/5

10/22/2010 316 55 56.5 63.5 7.25 11.5 banded 222.92 93.08 29.46 51

I can email you the actual chart if you want.

I too, remember freaking out at the weight I had to be at prior to surgery.

Just like most of us, we've invested A LOT in getting the band, and the thought of being turned away the day of surgery because of my lack of dedication & will power to lose the weight I was told to ...

But, we've all done it - and been successful.

I thought about the results .. the journey and the outcome.

You can do it!

missymae79,

I was also terrified that I wouldn't lose the weight. Infact, in the 1st month, I gained 4 pounds and I was supposed to lose 11. I was already eating less and had given up so much and I still gained. It can be very very frustrating. However, the day I realized I had gained, I basically started eating/drinking the protein shakes and sensible dinner of grilled chicken, fish and lean beef.

When it comes down to it, I started eating like I was banded already. Apparently it worked and I dropped the 4 pounds and an additional 13 to boot.

I don't think it has to do with how high or low our bmi is to start with, it is scary just at the thought of losing weight because we all want to so bad. When all other diets fail, we get scared and nervous about not being able to accomplish what some people don't have an issue with and because many of us have failed so many times in the past, plain and simply we get scared.

You can do this. missymae79, you CAN! Keep your spirits up and realize that everyone here is your cheerleader! You have your own group of cheerleaders to cheer for you. This group of people on this forum, they are remarkable. :)

Take care and keep us up to date on your progress.

Kristi

When I was in the lobby waiting to have my surgery done, I was asking folks if they lost the weight they were suppose to lose.. .almost everyone said "no". Now with that being said, anytime you have surgery it is a risk, and you want to start your life by doing this procedure so keep in mind the suggested weight loss is to minimize the risks during surgery to YOU!. You are worth it and this is the first step in a long journey, so consider it just that!

The band is not magic... I know, we all want it to be, but it is merely a tool... I know, I know a tool?? I said the same thing, I don't need a tool, I need something to keep me from putting food in my mouth. Here is what it's done for me so far..

I was banded early August and have lost about 12 lbs.. not a ton... but what I also find is that this tool keeps me from overeating. So while I haven't dropped a lot, I also have no fill yet. This has helped me lose a little and not feel as though I'm on any kind of diet at all!!!

This is going to be a great experience for you, give it your all and remember the reward is not as good if you don't have a story to tell at the end.. This is YOUR story, make it good!

Worry not. Know what you need to do and just go for it. Dr. Miranda is there for whatever support you need. If you don't achieve the desired goal keep your head up. I was 398 and needed to be 362 in about 7 weeks. Didn't look real hopeful the first few weeks but the day before my flight I was at 359. On the day of my surgery, I was at 357. Stress will do you no good.

So it has been 7 days yesterday and I was down 6 pounds. Today they are having a pizza party in the lunch room, and here I am at my desk with my lean cusisine!! LOL. I never thought I would have the self control, but I am learning about my relationship with food, and even though I feel a little like I broke up with a boyfriend, I know that boyfriend was no good for me...makes my lean cuisine smell delicious!!

Thanks again for everyone's support. You guys are awesome.

Melissa

So it has been 7 days yesterday and I was down 6 pounds. Today they are having a pizza party in the lunch room, and here I am at my desk with my lean cusisine!! LOL. I never thought I would have the self control, but I am learning about my relationship with food, and even though I feel a little like I broke up with a boyfriend, I know that boyfriend was no good for me...makes my lean cuisine smell delicious!!

Thanks again for everyone's support. You guys are awesome.

Melissa

You know,, there's a lot of anxiety with the pre-op diet. Just try your best and quit worrying about it. Being on this forum for over 3 years, I have yet heard of anyone not having their surgery because they didn't loose a certain amount of weight. Try your best, that's all I can tell you. Just don't gain weight before your surgery. LOL. It is best if you can loose,, The number one reason is it shrinks the liver giving the surgeon better access to your stomach. It also gives you a good jump start on your journey. But this is my opinion. LOL