starting solid foods- where to start

shmee

Hi, I was banded on the 27. I know I'm not to foods yet, but I notice on Miranda's information that she gave there are no starter foods once off the liquid diet. I also notice on other forums that people go slowly into foods, starting with softer foods first.

so my question is did people from OCC do this, and what do you recommend? and for how long before full solids.

thanks

Lisa

I noticed the same thing on another board that people go to "mushies" after the creamy soup phase. I had the same question as you and hope that someone answers. I am being banded in two weeks and want to be completly prepared and know that to do before I get to it.

Hi, I was banded on the 27. I know I'm not to foods yet, but I notice on Miranda's information that she gave there are no starter foods once off the liquid diet. I also notice on other forums that people go slowly into foods, starting with softer foods first.

so my question is did people from OCC do this, and what do you recommend? and for how long before full solids.

thanks

Lisa

I started eating solid foods with a menu something like this: Morning Egg Bites from www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com. She is a WLS individual that has adapted a ton of recipes for us WLS people. I followed that with a lunch of tuna salad with pickles for crunch and fresh veggies. Dinner was similar to lunch or a lean cuisine kinda meal. It worked for me. P.S. the protein ice cream on the eggface website is to die for. :D

• 7 months later...

there's a great resource in the yahoo group "smartbandsters" and there are some good food recommendations. I went through this with the band and I went from liquids to what we called slush and mush - which was basically anything we put in a blender and got the lumps out...

I started with very liquid mash potatoes which tasted absoutely fabulous. I kept with soups (no lumps)for about 3 weeks and added some smoothies for a change up.

Everyone is differnt and your body will let you know what it will and won't tolerate. Don't go too fast..take small bites - count to 20 and see what your stomach tells you. We tend to be fast eaters...break that habit..or your band/plication/whatever will let ya know in a few different ways - pb, slime, it is not pleasant..

My fav is an almond butter smoothie...made with greek yogurt, a scoop of protien powder and a teaspoon of almond butter (much better for ya)...it made me feel like I was treating myself...

My basic rule of thumb as I moved into solid foods...eat my protein and veggies first (measured on a small plate) and then if there is room I can have a bite of something else - like fruit. Or even better a small square of 90% coco dark chocolate...

Hope this helps someone..

DonnaC

• Like 1