Plication Surgery

hey there! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. I had it done on 10/21. This Friday I get to start on my mushie foods. You can email me a long list of questions, thoughts, etc and I'm happy to answer them one by one. Or if you'd prefer we can arrange a time for you to ring me and we can chat. Hvae a good evening.

hey there! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. I had it done on 10/21. This Friday I get to start on my mushie foods. You can email me a long list of questions, thoughts, etc and I'm happy to answer them one by one. Or if you'd prefer we can arrange a time for you to ring me and we can chat. Hvae a good evening.

I am scheduled for November 16th. A little nervous. Did you have nausea after surgery? Is the post op diet terrible? The pre op is bad enough!

Hi! yes u will have nausea. I had them for the first 3 days.. and the first week of post op u wont be hungry at all and nope the post op diet its not bad at all time goes fast and the best of all u will be starting to see results after the first week...I will be starting my mushy diet on Friday...

Thank you so much for your reply and I will take you up on your offer to call you. I am available anytime on Thursday as I'm not working, let me know a good time to call is and your phone number. I'm in Alberta, Canada so I'm not sure what the time difference is. I can't wait to see how things are going for you, I'm so excited I'm having troubles falling as sleep at night......it nice to think of what 2011 holds for both of us!!!

Cheers!

Crystle

Thank you so much for your reply and I will take you up on your offer to call you. I am available anytime on Thursday as I'm not working, let me know a good time to call is and your phone number. I'm in Alberta, Canada so I'm not sure what the time difference is. I can't wait to see how things are going for you, I'm so excited I'm having troubles falling as sleep at night......it nice to think of what 2011 holds for both of us!!!

Cheers!

Crystle

My direct email is johnna.murray@hotmail.com.

would prefer if we could chat on Friday or Monday. Thursday I;ve got a crazy schedule. Friday I could do 9am (EST)---probably in the middle of night for you or Monday the 15th at 4pm (EST). My direct line is 843-202-6968. And I have not had any nausea, vomiting, etc.

Hi all! I had my plication done on 9-16. Most of my posts and experiences are listed under the gastric sleeve forum as this one had not been started yet.

I have lost 53 pounds since starting my pre-op diet. I had no post-op pain. I had some discomfort at the drain site, but once that was gone, just a little tender in that area for a couple of day. But as far as surgical pain. . .none. In fact, I was up and wandering around Tiajuana 2 days after surgery. And as the staff can tell you, I was up and dancing around the clinic the next day.

I had one bout of nausea and that was when I was up wandering around the night I had surgery. It didn't last long. Had Sophie help me back to bed, got some medicine and that was it.

Anyway. . . a little about myself, so you know I am not really a crazy person. . . LOL. . . I am a registered nurse, live in Texas, am 57 years old and have a 16 yr. old at home and a 34 year old about to get married.

I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has, just give me a day or two as I don't check the forum every single day, due to work schedules, therapy session (physical) and other personal daily routines. But I will check as often as I can.

Again, to see what all I went through, go to the Gastric Sleeve forum and then we can continue to discuss stuff here now that this forum is alive and running. :rolleyes:

Shari

Hi all! I had my plication done on 9-16. Most of my posts and experiences are listed under the gastric sleeve forum as this one had not been started yet.

I have lost 53 pounds since starting my pre-op diet. I had no post-op pain. I had some discomfort at the drain site, but once that was gone, just a little tender in that area for a couple of day. But as far as surgical pain. . .none. In fact, I was up and wandering around Tiajuana 2 days after surgery. And as the staff can tell you, I was up and dancing around the clinic the next day.

I had one bout of nausea and that was when I was up wandering around the night I had surgery. It didn't last long. Had Sophie help me back to bed, got some medicine and that was it.

Anyway. . . a little about myself, so you know I am not really a crazy person. . . LOL. . . I am a registered nurse, live in Texas, am 57 years old and have a 16 yr. old at home and a 34 year old about to get married.

I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has, just give me a day or two as I don't check the forum every single day, due to work schedules, therapy session (physical) and other personal daily routines. But I will check as often as I can.

Again, to see what all I went through, go to the Gastric Sleeve forum and then we can continue to discuss stuff here now that this forum is alive and running. :rolleyes:

Shari

Shari,

So good to hear all your good news! I'm even more excited then I was just knowing what you have gone through. A couple questions

1. With the spirometer - what were you up to before surgery?

2. When they say liquids only - can a person drink tea/coffee?

3. They say to be on liquids two days before surgery, so what all did you drink? I have never gone two days without food. Are protein drinks included?

4. After surgery for 21 days just confirming we are on liquids only, can we still have protein drinks? Do all the juices have to be sugar free? Did you drink lots of water - how much?

5. Are there any soups except for broths?

6. After the 21 days what is added to our diet?

As you can see this is all about food.................

Cheers & thanks so much for your time.

Crystle

Shari,

So good to hear all your good news! I'm even more excited then I was just knowing what you have gone through. A couple questions

1. With the spirometer - what were you up to before surgery?

If you have never used a spirometer before it is inhalation (breathing in) not breathing out. Once a day (before surgery) take the spirometer and do slow breaths in trying to get the float to reach at least 2000. If you can go higher, make that your goal. This is just practice for after surgery. This exercise after surgery works your lungs and helps prevent pneumonia or other respiratory problems. After surgery, you will be doing this once every hour or two. . . 10 inhalations each time. I set my goal before surgery to 2250.

2. When they say liquids only - can a person drink tea/coffee?

Yes, you can drink tea or coffee,protein drinks. . . Full liquids are anything you can drink through a straw. . . I took creamed soups and blended them in the blender so there were no chunks and drank everything through a straw. Don't tell, but once I even took some oreos (okay, only one) and blended it in a little bit of milk just to have a dessert while everyone was eating a real dessert.

Clear liquids are broths, tea, coffee, ensure, jello, Crystal Light. . . anything you can almost see through.

3. They say to be on liquids two days before surgery, so what all did you drink? I have never gone two days without food. Are protein drinks included?

Buy some fiber capsules and take them as directed. It will help with the hunger issues. I was on a liquid pre-op diet for three weeks prior to my surgery, so the last two days of just clear liquids was not a problem. I will tell you that warm stuff like broth, hot tea, comforts the tummy better than cold stuff. I bought a ton of Crystal Light, Powerade, etc. Saved the bottles and now mix up my Crystal light in the bottles and freeze them. . . I'll tell you more about that later. . .

But, I drank the stuff I listed above with the exception of the coffee and ensure. Coffee does not like me. . .

4. After surgery for 21 days just confirming we are on liquids only, can we still have protein drinks? Do all the juices have to be sugar free? Did you drink lots of water - how much?

After surgery, I was on clear liquids for one week. The next week I drank clear liquids and added drinkable yogurt. Drinkable yogurt is in bottles next to the other yogurts. The third week I added protein drinks to what I was already doing. Toward the end of the third week I started adding my blended soups. Made sure I had the soup in the evening to comfort my tummy and be able to sleep without worrying about being hungry. I didn't feel any hunger pangs until around the third week after surgery. One can of soup lasted three servings for me. . . If you don't have a champagne glass. .go to the dollar store and buy one. . . That's how much you should have of your liquid yogurt, protein drink, etc. . . and it makes you feel good to drink from it. Make it special. It will keep you from over drinking. . To keep from over drinking clear liquids, I freeze mine and drink it as it melts. I have one out starting to thaw as I am working on my current bottle. It helps me keep track of how much I am drinking, so I don't dehydrate or drink too much at a time. You should consume at least two bottles a day of liquids, the 20 oz. ones. I was a diet coke addict, but seeing as we are not supposed to have carbonated drinks, I have become a Crystal Light junkie. . .

Week four, I added soft foods. . . mashed potatoes, cream of wheat cereal, egg salad, pudding. . . Soft foods do not have to be chewed.

and finally I added real food. Cut your meat in tiny pieces and eat it first. . .Portion size. . .about the size of a sausage patty. . . 1/8 - 1/4 cup of veggies and stop there. Put your eating utensil down between bites. Chew well to enjoy the flavor (we do not have the size restriction that band patients do).

Something to plan for is freezing a lot of pre-portioned meals. I eat a lot of meals over at my parents. . . and I would have my soup or whatever while they ate whatever they had cooked. I would take the left-overs home and portion them out into containers and put them in the freezer. Now I have a freezer full of meals that I can just take out and heat up for my meals. I can't over eat, because I thought ahead and made sure I couldn't. When I go out to eat, I have the waiter bring me a to-go box WITH the meal. I immediately put everything in the to-go box except what I am planning on eating and then it is out of sight and I can't continue to pick at it while I am waiting for everyone to get done. I take it home and usually can divide up what I take home into three meals. Unfortunately, I can't get an accurate calorie count on those meals, but I can on most of the others that I make up.

5. Are there any soups except for broths?

See above.

6. After the 21 days what is added to our diet?

See above

As you can see this is all about food.................

Cheers & thanks so much for your time.

Crystle

I hope I answered all your questions. . . LOL. . . I am here for you and for the rest of our forum.

My email is osharilee@earthlink.net and my cell number is 903-316-8998. . .

Shari

• 1 month later...

So.....I am scheduled for the surgery on February 16 and so excited although I can't help but wonder if this, like everything else I've tried, won't be successful for me. I saw that many of you have had your surgery a month ago or longer and I'm just wondering what kind of results you are seeing. I keep reading that this is "a tool and not a magic wand" but part of the reason I am having this surgery is because I have been unable to use "tools" in the past. Can anyone tell me if you find it easier to exhibit willpower with the plication or is the struggle the same as it was before? Any advice is so appreciated!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So.....I am scheduled for the surgery on February 16 and so excited although I can't help but wonder if this, like everything else I've tried, won't be successful for me. I saw that many of you have had your surgery a month ago or longer and I'm just wondering what kind of results you are seeing. I keep reading that this is "a tool and not a magic wand" but part of the reason I am having this surgery is because I have been unable to use "tools" in the past. Can anyone tell me if you find it easier to exhibit willpower with the plication or is the struggle the same as it was before? Any advice is so appreciated!!!!

I had the Plication done on the 5th of Dec. 2010. Today is January 25. Day of surgery I weighed 211 and now I weigh 190. I do wish the results were a little better but for the first few weeks, I was loosing 5 pounds a week. So I think your body just has to take a break and just heal, and relax. This is a big change. I eat pretty much whatever I want to eat, just in smaller amounts. I do try to stay away from the things I know are horrible for me. I believe dieting never worked for me because I would starve myself from the foods you crave sometimes...then when you grab it you really go to town and over eat. Now I treat myself to small portions and I'm satisfied. I origionally was going for the band and ended up choosing plication because of the fills. I live far away from any place that could fill and it would've been a ordeal to go back and forth. So I wanted a more permantent option...but the least complicatied. I had pain the first 24hrs, especially on my left side and that's common. I flew back 2 days after surgery...6hr flight and I wore jeans....I was fine. If you're concerned about discomfort ask the Doctors to give you something for your journey. My cuts never were an issue, didn't even really notice them . Go with your heart and do what you know you've wanted for years, there's nothing to be worrysome about. It was a wonderful experience and I would do it all over again. Hope this helps.....Tina

Thanks Tina! I asked you a questions on another thread because I thought it had said you had the surgery 5/2010 rather than December 5th and I was concerned when I saw that you had only lost 25lbs since May! Now I see I was mistaken. Still though, how are things going now for you though. Are you finding that you have to diet pretty strictly to keep losing?

I had the Plication done on the 5th of Dec. 2010. Today is January 25. Day of surgery I weighed 211 and now I weigh 190. I do wish the results were a little better but for the first few weeks, I was loosing 5 pounds a week. So I think your body just has to take a break and just heal, and relax. This is a big change. I eat pretty much whatever I want to eat, just in smaller amounts. I do try to stay away from the things I know are horrible for me. I believe dieting never worked for me because I would starve myself from the foods you crave sometimes...then when you grab it you really go to town and over eat. Now I treat myself to small portions and I'm satisfied. I origionally was going for the band and ended up choosing plication because of the fills. I live far away from any place that could fill and it would've been a ordeal to go back and forth. So I wanted a more permantent option...but the least complicatied. I had pain the first 24hrs, especially on my left side and that's common. I flew back 2 days after surgery...6hr flight and I wore jeans....I was fine. If you're concerned about discomfort ask the Doctors to give you something for your journey. My cuts never were an issue, didn't even really notice them . Go with your heart and do what you know you've wanted for years, there's nothing to be worrysome about. It was a wonderful experience and I would do it all over again. Hope this helps.....Tina