Post GSP Surgery

I had plication surgery done Jan 7, 2011. A friend had a lap band installed a few years ago and she first mentioned to me the possibility of OCC when I discovered my insurance would cover absolutely nothing regarding any bariatric surgeries or health issues resulting from any. I was dejected and depressed until she mentioned OCC and I thought she was nuts for having gone to Mexico. I did the research and felt this was my last option.

I made very fast arrangements, less than a month I believe. I arrived thinking I would be having lap band surgery until, from the much time spent waiting in the waiting area of OCC and listening to various people coming in for various appointments, I began thinking that there was a lot of maintenance associated with lap bands. I kept looking at the sign advertising for plication. I made the switch literally moments before surgery.

I was nervous but determined and my fears were unfounded. Although I felt Dr. Ortiz to be a little car salesmanish he is very competent and self assured. I would have liked for him to be a bit more personable. I doubt he'll have any recollection of me in any way other than just another surgery and I doubt even that. However, he's good at what he does and my surgery was no exception.

A word of warning:) I was apparently awake and alert and talking very shortly after surgery but remember nothing of it. My husband says we had multiple conversations, he brought my toothbrush, went to Applebee's for food and I remember absolutely nothing about any of it. In fact I don't remember getting dressed the following day or heading back to the hotel.

So here I am nine days after surgery and feeling pretty good. I've had moderate weight loss compared to what we've all come to expect but honestly I'd rather lose it slower and give my skin a bit more opportunity to adjust. I began at 217 and am down this morning to 211. I lost fairly quickly to 212 and then stuck there for a few days. I've heard that for about a week or so after surgery weight loss is light while your body recovers and I would say that's true. Now I'm expecting to see changes on the scale every day or every other day. I also heard that most people aren't hungry the week after surgery. After the icky pre-op diet:0 I found that not to be true. I was quite hungry but juice seemed to satisfy me pretty well. My abdomen has been sore at the incision sites. The biggest challenge is learning to read the signs of a new stomach and know when enough is enough. I've learned now after only nine days that's it better to quit before you feel uncomfortable:)

I haven't followed the post-op diet entirely. I followed the liquid portion for 4 days and then began blending soup. Where previously I could easily put down a can of Chunky Cambell's along with bread or crackers, liquefied I can eat about 1/4 cup before being quite full. I went out to eat and had chicken breast day 6. I ate about a piece about the size of a chicken tender, made a conscious effort to chew far longer than I have in the past and not to wash my food down with drink. I didn't have any problems but have continued to try to keep as much as possible to the post-op diet because I feel better when doing it. I bought the children's drinkable yogurt and found it to be exactly the right size for breakfast. I also bought a magic bullet and I can't recommend it enough. As someone who had sleeve surgery told me, " It's indispensable, you can blend anything in a magic bullet", and she's right. I recommend you get one before you come home so all your ducks are lined up and you're ready to go. Mine came from Amazon and took 7 days to arrive.

In closing I have had a lot of gas which I attribute to all the juice. Something I never drank prior to surgery. It's very uncomfortable. I also experience a recurring, painful pressure sensation that begins about midway between my bellybutton and my diaphragm and pushes upward into my chest. I don't know if it's leftover gas from surgery, something my stomach might be doing (sometimes it's alleviated with drinking or eating a little something) or what exactly. It's more prevalent when I lay down for bed and sometimes if I prop myself more upright in bed it alleviates it. Walking before bed makes me feel better but doesn't really change the frequency or painfulness of the sensation. Over all I'm very happy both with my decision to go to OCC, the staff is warm and friendly, and I'm very happy with my choice of surgery. I would highly recommend both.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had plication surgery done Jan 7, 2011. A friend had a lap band installed a few years ago and she first mentioned to me the possibility of OCC when I discovered my insurance would cover absolutely nothing regarding any bariatric surgeries or health issues resulting from any. I was dejected and depressed until she mentioned OCC and I thought she was nuts for having gone to Mexico. I did the research and felt this was my last option.

I made very fast arrangements, less than a month I believe. I arrived thinking I would be having lap band surgery until, from the much time spent waiting in the waiting area of OCC and listening to various people coming in for various appointments, I began thinking that there was a lot of maintenance associated with lap bands. I kept looking at the sign advertising for plication. I made the switch literally moments before surgery.

I was nervous but determined and my fears were unfounded. Although I felt Dr. Ortiz to be a little car salesmanish he is very competent and self assured. I would have liked for him to be a bit more personable. I doubt he'll have any recollection of me in any way other than just another surgery and I doubt even that. However, he's good at what he does and my surgery was no exception.

A word of warning:) I was apparently awake and alert and talking very shortly after surgery but remember nothing of it. My husband says we had multiple conversations, he brought my toothbrush, went to Applebee's for food and I remember absolutely nothing about any of it. In fact I don't remember getting dressed the following day or heading back to the hotel.

So here I am nine days after surgery and feeling pretty good. I've had moderate weight loss compared to what we've all come to expect but honestly I'd rather lose it slower and give my skin a bit more opportunity to adjust. I began at 217 and am down this morning to 211. I lost fairly quickly to 212 and then stuck there for a few days. I've heard that for about a week or so after surgery weight loss is light while your body recovers and I would say that's true. Now I'm expecting to see changes on the scale every day or every other day. I also heard that most people aren't hungry the week after surgery. After the icky pre-op diet:0 I found that not to be true. I was quite hungry but juice seemed to satisfy me pretty well. My abdomen has been sore at the incision sites. The biggest challenge is learning to read the signs of a new stomach and know when enough is enough. I've learned now after only nine days that's it better to quit before you feel uncomfortable:)

I haven't followed the post-op diet entirely. I followed the liquid portion for 4 days and then began blending soup. Where previously I could easily put down a can of Chunky Cambell's along with bread or crackers, liquefied I can eat about 1/4 cup before being quite full. I went out to eat and had chicken breast day 6. I ate about a piece about the size of a chicken tender, made a conscious effort to chew far longer than I have in the past and not to wash my food down with drink. I didn't have any problems but have continued to try to keep as much as possible to the post-op diet because I feel better when doing it. I bought the children's drinkable yogurt and found it to be exactly the right size for breakfast. I also bought a magic bullet and I can't recommend it enough. As someone who had sleeve surgery told me, " It's indispensable, you can blend anything in a magic bullet", and she's right. I recommend you get one before you come home so all your ducks are lined up and you're ready to go. Mine came from Amazon and took 7 days to arrive.

In closing I have had a lot of gas which I attribute to all the juice. Something I never drank prior to surgery. It's very uncomfortable. I also experience a recurring, painful pressure sensation that begins about midway between my bellybutton and my diaphragm and pushes upward into my chest. I don't know if it's leftover gas from surgery, something my stomach might be doing (sometimes it's alleviated with drinking or eating a little something) or what exactly. It's more prevalent when I lay down for bed and sometimes if I prop myself more upright in bed it alleviates it. Walking before bed makes me feel better but doesn't really change the frequency or painfulness of the sensation. Over all I'm very happy both with my decision to go to OCC, the staff is warm and friendly, and I'm very happy with my choice of surgery. I would highly recommend both.

How are you doing now? What is your weight loss, any more complications?

I had my surgery Jan. 13. A day after surgery I was starving! I had done the liquid protein diet before surgery and never felt hungry, but for the first 4 days on just juice and broth I was dying! I was getting sugar spikes and crashes from the juice and I was almost constantly light headed. Once I was able to add protein shakes, it all went away! :D

I've been making some tasty soups that I put in the blender and blend them smooth. It's been a nice change from always drinking protein shakes. I drink my liquids slow enough that, so far, I haven't found my limit as far as stomach capacity. But I definitely reach the satisfied level sooner than before. I'm trying real hard to stick to the post-op diet. I am looking forward to eating normal food, but that will be another month yet.

The only complication that I had was that I tore my stomach muscle a bit. The driver of the van that picked me up at the hotel to go back to the airport drove like a maniac! He hit a pothole and I felt an intense pain in my stomach area. I thought I had torn a stitch! Then when I was getting off the plane I reached up to grab my suitcase I felt the pain again! But when I checked my stitches, they were fine.

The pain continued every time I walked or my stomach jiggled. When I finally figured out what had happened I started wearing a girdle that came up high enough to support my stomach muscle but wasn't so tight that it irritated the stitches. After about a week I was mostly fine. Two weeks out I'm still tender and have to watch how high I reach.

So far I'm averaging about a pound a day. I'm sure this will slow down once I start eating real food again. But actually I wouldn't mind it slowing down. I'm not ready to go shopping for new clothes yet! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I too have some pain in ym stomach when I swallow. It goes away when I burp. But I am only 4 days post op. Has much changed for those of you who had the surgery a month or more ago? Do you feel pretty normal or do you still have aches or pains when you eat? Did it change when you went to solids?

I too have some pain in ym stomach when I swallow. It goes away when I burp. But I am only 4 days post op. Has much changed for those of you who had the surgery a month or more ago? Do you feel pretty normal or do you still have aches or pains when you eat? Did it change when you went to solids?

My plication was Jan 27th at OCC. Here's what I've learned, to see clearly during surgery at lot of gas is put in mid abdomen that gas has to come out somewhere, usually in burping or rooty-tooting. Also if I drink to fast or too much in one sip, I get a pressure under my breast bone which only time or a burp relieves. I do remember having what I would call 'stitches' (as sharp pain) in my lower left or right side, again more gas. The muscle will repair itself fairly quickly, and those sharp 'stitch' gas pains do resolve themselves. I will say I feel totally like I haven't had surgery until I consume something, then I notice the volume I can consume is much much smaller. If I go even a tiny bit over small servings, it means gas. So it means for me to be eating mindfully, something brand new for me. I just started soft solids, salmon was delis, and because I started with about 2oz only, no gas at all. YIPPEE!

• 5 months later...

How are you doing now? What is your weight loss, any more complications?

I'm very disappointed in my surgery 6 months later I have lost nothing more than 7% of my body weight. I showed up at the clinic weighing 217 on Jan 7, 2011 and now July 23, 2011 I weigh 200. I eat about two thirds less of what I used to and while having lost 17 pounds feels good it isn't near enough or worth the 7k it cost. I'm still 50 to 60 pounds away from my goal weight six months after surgery. I was able to lose the 17 pounds by taking the drug phen-ter-mine and reducing my calories to less than 600 a day. The problem has been that without the phen-ter-mine I eat about 1000 calories a day but still don't lose weight. I've had all the tests done, thyroid is functioning well, no issues with blood work no nothing to account for the lack of weight loss. My husband jokes that maybe they thought I was an organ donor instead of a plication patient (not funny).

I'm very disappointed in my surgery 6 months later I have lost nothing more than 7% of my body weight. I showed up at the clinic weighing 217 on Jan 7, 2011 and now July 23, 2011 I weigh 200. I eat about two thirds less of what I used to and while having lost 17 pounds feels good it isn't near enough or worth the 7k it cost. I'm still 50 to 60 pounds away from my goal weight six months after surgery. I was able to lose the 17 pounds by taking the drug phen-ter-mine and reducing my calories to less than 600 a day. The problem has been that without the phen-ter-mine I eat about 1000 calories a day but still don't lose weight. I've had all the tests done, thyroid is functioning well, no issues with blood work no nothing to account for the lack of weight loss. My husband jokes that maybe they thought I was an organ donor instead of a plication patient (not funny).

Are you exercising?

Your metabolism won't move unless ........... less calories does NOT mean automatic weight loss for the majority of the population.

Are you keeping a food journal?

What do you eat on a typical day?

A calorie isn't a calorie.

ie. 220cal chocolate isn't equal to 220cal of protein.

I would have to say, I've seen A LOT of people come and go throughout this forum, and the ones that are successful are the ones that make drastic lifestyle changes from exercising at least 3x's week, and completely revamping our relationship with food.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my issues along the way, plateaus were frustrating and the hair loss is still an issue, but all in all I have to be pleased with the changes I've accomplished. I was 291lb before deciding to pursue plication, and including my preop losses I'm down over 70 lbs in 5-6 months. I have to go by how I feel and I know that I'm in such better health than before. Sometimes the scale is slow but I notice the change in my body. I'm not too thrilled with the sagging skin but as long as I'm not in pain, short of breath, and generally unwell, I'll take all of it as a positive. Just hang in there - the previous post is pretty direct but accurate - it's not a miracle, we still have to work at it and the food choices are essential to success. This forum is a big help, especially when we struggle. Charge on ahead and keep fighting :)

I had my plication done Aug 2nd. Today I started soft foods. Aside from the nausea the first couple of days, I've done pretty well. I lost 30 lbs pre-op and 12 lbs post op. I haven't started back on my workouts yet, but will soon. Everyone at OCC was great. I don't remember much the day of the surgery or even the ride to the hotel the next day. My husband said Dr. Ortiz came in my room and talked about duck hunting with him. I'm kind of glad I missed that conversation LOL Here's my recommendation for those traveling to Mexico: Even though they say you can travel two days after surgery, don't do it. Find yourself a little hotel in the San Diego area and take a couple more days to rest up. We spent three hours at the U.S. Border and another four hours layover in Phoenix airport. I was miserable. Of course, I must have thought I was 20 instead of 55 because my recovery took a lot longer than I had anticipated. Overall, it was a good experience and, so far, I don't regret my decision to have the procedure.

Starting weight: 244 lb.

Surgery weight: 214 lb.

Current weight (3 weeks post op): 202 lb.

You must feel great to be down almost 50 lbs. That is tremendous!! I just booked our dates [surgery Sept 19th] but would have added extra days if I had read your post in time. I travel home the morning of the 4th day so hopefully all goes well. We are the same age and yes being 20 would probably Help [lol]

• 3 weeks later...

You'll be fine. I went home the next day. The only problem I had was the gas. Also having to pee a lot the first night. We had no problems crossing the border maybe an hour. It was a Saturday wmorning though. Youll be great. Work it. T only do what they tell you to do the first few months. I didn't do so well. My fault only Decided to drink wine again. thats were I need stop. I need help to get my life on track again. Dont let you're life stresses get you down. I need help.