MAY SURGERIES

This is the topic for those who are scheduling their surgery during the month of May. Posting in this topic gives you the chance to meet other patients that are going to be in TJ during this month. So lets hear from the soon to be Gastric Plication patients.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi...........pre surgery diet? I had my plication on Jan 27, 2011.........ask any question you have and I'll let you how it was for me. For me, having this surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself. cheers, Katie:)

Hi Katie.. congratulations.. I am looking forward to changing my life and yet I am nervous about a few things.

one thing that concerns me is my long trip home ( 11 hours) and of course the risk of clots. Did you have far to travel after surgery?

Did you have any issues with vomiting?

I read that since there is no cutting away of the stomach that the hormone ghrelin is still produced just as much and your hunger is not satisfied. Do you have insatiable hunger issues?

blk-weight.png

Hi Oh yeah, I was nervous too, and as the day got closer, I got to a point where I just wanted it done. I was ready...............there are changes to be made including eating more healthy, something I wasn't doing before surgery. My cravings are gone, and I had a horrible sweet tooth. I live on the West Cost of BC so for me I had a direct flight to San Diego. Was in TJ Mexico from Thursday to Sunday mid day. The day of surgery I was pretty much out of it and the next day I was ansy to get released; 24 hours later I was wondering about TJ, wanted to see if their Walmart was any different than here. It wasn't except for the Spanish and they didn't take US dollars, Pesos only or credit cards. I didn't have any reaction to the surgery, no vomiting.........had lots of gas from both ends due to the CO2 that is used during surgery. The gas thing is normal and there are things yuou can do to help it. I went with my bf and we ended up adding a few days at the end to have a bit of vacation in SD. I had lots of energy. I know some people have reactions to being put out. You don't get released until you can take liquids. The blood clot issue can be addressed by just walking about every little while. Do ask the surgeon about this. I use to have a sense that I was always starving, just didn't feel full, and could eat a lot in one sitting and be hundry a few hours later. I don't have that anymore. I am satisfied with so much less now, maybe 20% of what I use to eat, and I don't walk around ready to eat anything and everything in my sight. I did ask Dr Ortiz about the hormone 'ghrelin' . I can't remember how he put it, I think the term he used is 'debunked' that therory. Do ask about it tho, so you get the information directly. What I can tell you is a very small amount of food satisfies me now. Something I never knew before, nad I don't get those ravious sensations anymore. In the first few weeks I didn't get hungry. Everyone is different....the best thing I can suggest is to match yourself and how you deal with changes etc to the surgery you're going to get. Do ask the doctor about this. One of the things a doctor will try and do is match you to the most favorable surgery. He can do this best by knowing about you. Hope this helps you and if you have more questions, do ask. We all have them and really there is no silly question or one that is too small or minor to ask. .Katie:)

Well I had my surgery. I had to stay one extra night at OCC due to vomiting but then since I have had no nausea. I am not hungry like I uised to be and am satisfied with small amounts as well. I think I am still swollen though and liquids go down slowly right now. If I take a regular gulp ( more than a tablespoon I have to wait until the feeling of "something caught" goes away.

Unfortunately the flight back home was canceled in New York and we had to spend a night in Newark and then take 2 more flights the next night instead of a direct 2 hour flight from Newark to the east coast of Canada. Spending this time in the airport and hotel was difficult but I managed by finding a place that served soup and just asked for the broth of the chicken noodle soup and I bought water and juices. I dont know how I will ever get enough water in! It seemed I was sipping almost all the time. Today I started YOP. I have to say that even though I dont crave the sweets I used to I did want something chocolate so I had coffee with a chocolate flavor shot.. Probably not the best choice but I was stranded in an airport and I just wanted to be home.. I am finally home 5 days after the surgery.

I find I look bigger than before due to my abdomen being swollen and my breath today is bad. Is this common?

I am from East Coast Canada, namely Fredericton. I have my surgery on Thursday. Pre-op Wednesday. Sorry you got stuck with a flight delay. Bummer. I have scheduled one extra day in Tijuana just in case. Thanks for the info. Good to be prepared for a day delay.

Well I had my surgery. I had to stay one extra night at OCC due to vomiting but then since I have had no nausea. I am not hungry like I uised to be and am satisfied with small amounts as well. I think I am still swollen though and liquids go down slowly right now. If I take a regular gulp ( more than a tablespoon I have to wait until the feeling of "something caught" goes away.

Unfortunately the flight back home was canceled in New York and we had to spend a night in Newark and then take 2 more flights the next night instead of a direct 2 hour flight from Newark to the east coast of Canada. Spending this time in the airport and hotel was difficult but I managed by finding a place that served soup and just asked for the broth of the chicken noodle soup and I bought water and juices. I dont know how I will ever get enough water in! It seemed I was sipping almost all the time. Today I started YOP. I have to say that even though I dont crave the sweets I used to I did want something chocolate so I had coffee with a chocolate flavor shot.. Probably not the best choice but I was stranded in an airport and I just wanted to be home.. I am finally home 5 days after the surgery.

I find I look bigger than before due to my abdomen being swollen and my breath today is bad. Is this common?

weight.png

I am from East Coast Canada, namely Fredericton. I have my surgery on Thursday. Pre-op Wednesday. Sorry you got stuck with a flight delay. Bummer. I have scheduled one extra day in Tijuana just in case. Thanks for the info. Good to be prepared for a day delay.

I flew out of Moncton but I am also from Fredericton.. You will not be disappointed with the clinic or the entire medical team.. they were all great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi KDH How are you doing since your surgery?

weight.png

I am doing great. Down almost 30lbs including preop. Starting to notice a difference in

my clothes. Looking forward to "regular food" next week. Salad veggies are the thing I am most looking forward to.

I will take it slow though, in case they are too fibrous. I am very proud of myself for sticking

faithfully to the recommended post op diet. Although I do get hungry, it is amazing how little it

takes to fill me up. \

You must be finished your post op regime by now. How is that going. Perhaps you can

give me a call sometime soon. I hesitate to call you as I assume you work shift work. KR has my number.

Best wishes

I'm scheduled for surgery on 7/05/11. I'm having a very tough time losing weight before surgery. I lose weight pretty easy, but I have a very busy lifestyle and I have no patience with hunger. I'm female, age 53, am 5'3" and weight 226 lbs. Does anyone know what will happen if I can't lose the 10 lbs I'm supposed to lose before surgery?

hey there - I am having my surgery for Plication on the 1st of July. You know I am struggling with the same issues and decided to attack it this :

I only had to lose 5 lbs - I am a revision surgery so my BMI is alot lower this time:

1. I started the diet plan 3 weeks before surgery and on week 1 - tried to just not eat between meals and work out every day. I lost 5 lbs and it wasn't too hard.

2. Second week (this week) I went to liquids for two meals and either a salad or a low fat meat and veggie for the 3rd meal with all the vegies I can eat. I am down another 8 lbs. so far with another 3 days to go.

3. The final week I will stay on this diet until Tuesday and then go to full liquids.

Is it easy - nope. Have I cheated -sure. When I cheat - I work out an extra hour. I figured it's only 3 weeks and I am (to quote my friend) bullying the weight off at this point. Also I know I don't have to do this long term, thank god.

I think the two key points are:

water - lots of water - it helps me feel full

excerise - just walking is great and will be good for you long term - I like Zumba on my xbox..

You are doing the best you can - don't beat yourself up...each day is a new day...you will get there...even if it's on the last 3 or 4 days when you go to liquids..

As to what it means for surgery - here is my educated guess. The reduced weight helps reduce the size of the liver and makes the surgery much easier for the surgeons and on your body. But if you walk and do the breathing excerises, that is also really great for you too!

DonnaC