Acid Reflux/Heartburn

I had really terrible acid reflex for the first 6-ish months after i got banded.

I remember taking an OTC antacid every morning, just to keep it under control.

It only lasted about 6 months, and I haven't had a major problem since.

I do avoid high acid foods/drinks (I dilute orange juice), don't drink carbonated pop & pineapple seems to irritate it.

But those are my experiences with the band.

I also had it bad. I actually started doing slimfast shakes because if I ate before noon it was sooooo bad. I just started doing the Body By Vi 90 Day Challange and heard that has helped people with reflux when doing weight loss. I dont know why my weird body gets reflux if I dont take it easy before about 1 pm! Figured I would try it though since I want to lose another 10 lbs

• 3 months later...

I have been experiencing heartburn and acid reflux too. Most people I have spoken with tell me that this will disappear eventually. I guess if you think about the stomach being folded and much more smaller - it makes sense that there might be some adjustment. It is miserable, especially at night. I am taking an acid reducer twice daily OTC and it seems to control it somewhat, but I still feel it throughout the day. I try to avoid spicy foods, foods with pepper and eating after 7 or 8 at night. I sleep propped up on pillows but my sides get sore from this usual position. Raising the head of the bed is out of the question because of my dear husband.

Although, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, it is comforting to me to hear that others are in the "same boat". My husband told me that the Doc's talked about this when we were at the OCC. I was drugged for surgery and don't really remember what was said. My husband isn't the best at communicating information either and he was there. When I started to experience these symptoms I began to worry that something was wrong. It was then that my husband had an "A-Huh" moment and remembered that the Doc's had mentioned this.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I had plication on November 24th and I am having the same issues! I take the antacid from

OCC, and just drink 4 oz or less at a time (still in liquid phase). I can't tolerate the creamy soups or anything spicy so I pretty much just take in liquids! I need any and all suggestions also!

• 3 weeks later...

My acid reflux has gotten so bad I am having a endoscopy done on Thursday. I have not been able to consume liquids or any food for over a week and have been the E.R. It is far too painful to consume anything...I'll keep you posted! I have been avoiding any caffeine, spicy foods, citrus from day 1....