What foods are troublesome?

Linda in Enumclaw

Hi, Everybody -

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ortiz on January 26th. I'm curious to know from those of you that are on solid foods post-op, what do you have trouble eating? I've read that steak and rice are tough to deal with, but have you had problems with any other foods? I'm just trying to prepare myself ahead of time.

Thanks!

Linda

Hi, Everybody -

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ortiz on January 26th. I'm curious to know from those of you that are on solid foods post-op, what do you have trouble eating? I've read that steak and rice are tough to deal with, but have you had problems with any other foods? I'm just trying to prepare myself ahead of time.

Thanks!

Linda

I

Linda,

After my first fill I seemed to only have issues with nuts and califlower, felt like someone had stabbed me in the chest with a knife. I haven't thrown up yet though. Most people it seems like a common occurance, but not for me. I try to be really conscious about chewing. Not sure how things are going to be after my second fill, I am staying on soups for a couple of days.

Hi, Everybody -

Thanks!

Linda

Raw carrots.... Oh well, no great loss... I guess I can survive not eating those. I was ok with popcorn until my first fill, since then it feels "funny" if I try to eat it, and that was only once.

I have been lucky and never gotten into big trouble with anything and have never thrown up at all!

I can not for the life of me get asparagas down. it is the worst feeling because it is so stringy. Bread is pretty much a no no and forget french fires. The thing is that everybody seems different in what they can and can not eat and you might be able to eat it one day and not the next so it is just a learning proces. I have had my band 8 months and fo not regert one minute of it except when I am throwing up something that does not work that is the worst feeling. Good luck

Hi, Everybody -

Thanks!

Linda

The two foods that have given me the most trouble are meatloaf and meatballs (well, actually they are the same food, in different shapes.) Cheese has also been a bit of a challenge. Neither steak nor rice have been a problem for me. And breakfast is the most difficult meal for me, as my band seems to be tighter in the morning. And, as we all are told, chewing every bite thoroughly makes all the difference.

Thanks for your replies, everybody! It does seem that it's different for everybody.

I should have asked this question a long time ago, as I'm reading the responses while on the pre-op liquid diet and starving! Reading about different foods (that I can't have for a while) is torture!

I'm scheduled to be banded on 1/26. Some days I'm totally nervous, others perfectly calm. But reading this board and all the posts really helps. I really appreciate everybody taking the time to write about their experiences and support others. You guys are the best!

Hi Linda, :-h

I live up in Mill Creek near Everett. I used to ride horses and showed for years at the famous Enumclaw fair. What memories. (wish I was at my 16 year old riding weight now...lol). Keep in touch with us WA Banders if you'd like. We are a rowdy and fun group. We all love food and we all love our band. And we are all trying to balance the two along with kids, spouses, friends, etc.

LOL CRACKS ME UP, EVERYONE IS JUST SO DIFFERENT

ONE DAY I MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PASTA THE NEXT DAY EVERYTHINGS FINE

JUST A FICKLE THING THIS BAND

BUT I STILL LOVE IT ><'

I'm the same. What works one day, may not work the next. I have found that if I eat before the afternoon (around 1pm or so), NOTHING works. I am one of those with lots of congestion early in the day (from allergies)--and so I have found protien shakes to be a good friend for the first half of the day. I've also found that my stress levels dictate what will go down and what won't!

It really is a day by day thing and is different for each person. You will just have to see what works for you.

Good Luck!

Kris

Hi, Everybody -

Thanks!

Linda

Hi Linda,

I've had a problem with broccoli if it isn't cooked enough ... I use to love raw broccoli. I can eat bread but pancakes are a no - no. Sticky rice can be a problem one day and not the next, but any other kind has been okay. I guess the main thing is to chew, chew and chew some more and just be careful because getting the food stuck isn't any fun at all.

The best of luck on your surgery and the next step in your life to being healthy.

I have a problem with rice, whole beans of any kind (I can do mashed beans or refried), string beans and artichokes. Chicken will at times not agree and I absolutly cannot eat pork. I can however eat bread in super small bites, potatoes, tortilla chips and popcorn without issue unless I fail to chew as I should.

• 3 weeks later...
Raw carrots.... Oh well, no great loss... I guess I can survive not eating those. I was ok with popcorn until my first fill, since then it feels "funny" if I try to eat it, and that was only once.

I have been lucky and never gotten into big trouble with anything and have never thrown up at all!

Hey Lynn, I finally got on again, i was lost in space for a long time. I am still so stupid with the computer. I am doing real good. 40 pounds off . thank god. write soon , let me know how you are. Love , elaine

We are all so different. No problem with rice, beans, legumes, etc. but have trouble with noodles (PB Every time - 3 in all) and pita bread in particular. I am a vegetarian so I rely heavily on whey & soy as a protein but they need to be in a drinkable form. All I can say is when I have had that stuck feeling about the only thing that helps is pounding on my chest a bit like I'm trying help the band just let the traffic through. Doubt it helps the band but it does distract me from the traffic jam in my band.

Mornings I still have a EAS protein shake and a Starbux tall non-fat latte. Lunch is usally another shake and for dinner I have soup made fresh at local deli. That's Monday through Friday on the weekend I'll go for a breakfast burrito and fresh OJ, protein shake for lunch, and dinner is a single serving dish at a local restaurant like rice & curry, Thai food full of stir fried veggies I eat reeeaaall slow or fresh fruit bowl.

Foods I used to miss but don't have a place in my diet: pizza, cheese enchiladas, deep fried foods, anything with refined sugars such as candies, ice cream. No fast foods other than a vegetarian breakfast burritos I mentioned and Starbux non-fat latte are in my diet.

Thats my food post. Look forward to seeing others. BTW since I started solid foods I have hit stubborn plateau that I am trying to break through without going back to liquid diet. Kevin

If you have problems...Suck n a peppermint (sugerfree if you perfer) Do not chew it up. It is a natural digetive. And has NEVER failed me in teh 6 yrs I have used it.

Guest blueskies7890
So far, I have not had a problem with ANY foods yet. I have upchucked a few times, but it was my fault for not chewing well enough.

Teri

I'm still pre-op. But I've been trying to practice chewing really really well and I have to say it is difficult! The way I chew, if you don't mind me describing it, causes some of the food to get pushed to the back of my throat, where it is really tempting to swallow some of it. Is this normal... do other people have this problem? Maybe I should just take smaller bites? Maybe I'm overanalyzing it but I hesitate when I think about swallowing that first real bite post-op :)

Overanalyzing is a very good idea, preop. I do have the same problem with food going to the back of my throat...then just going down. I find though, that the smaller the bite, the easier that is to control. Also, I probably have more issues with eating too fast, even if it is small, well chewed bites, than anything else. You might watch how often you take a bit. I am so used to constantly keeping the food coming, I have a harder time with that. You might try putting your fork down between bites, just to give yourself a few seconds. Anyway, it is much easier to get used to after surgery. You don't have a choice, and if you do it wrong, you get some negative reinforcement. So don't worry about it too much.

Becki

Guest blueskies7890
Overanalyzing is a very good idea, preop. I do have the same problem with food going to the back of my throat...then just going down. I find though, that the smaller the bite, the easier that is to control. Also, I probably have more issues with eating too fast, even if it is small, well chewed bites, than anything else. You might watch how often you take a bit. I am so used to constantly keeping the food coming, I have a harder time with that. You might try putting your fork down between bites, just to give yourself a few seconds. Anyway, it is much easier to get used to after surgery. You don't have a choice, and if you do it wrong, you get some negative reinforcement. So don't worry about it too much.

Becki

Ah thanks Becki. I've really been trying to take smaller bites and to eat slower, I'll try putting the fork down.

I thought that I would still be able to eat whatever I wanted, just much smaller portions of it. But I'm starting to find that may be too simplistic and might not be the whole truth.

From what I can gather tho, most people say banding is still totally worth it. I want my attitudes toward food to change, and I'm hoping the band will help me make this change.