Pre - Op diet

Have you tried Spiru-tein in Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl? It is really good. Especially when you add a small scoop of real peanut butter.

Hang in there!

No - right now I'm going through samplers so I can order next week and have it ready for when I get back. So far my favs are ICS and Unjury. I add no fat milk, which I probably shouldn't be doing.......but I TRIED with just water and it didn't even keep me semi-full for half an hour :huh: I *think* some of the samples are partial servings too. I know the envelopes make more than the "scoops" they have put into little baggies. I was talking to a friend who uses Isopure who said he mixes with 1.5 cups of liquid and my sample said mix with 4 oz so there's no way it was a full "serving".

Thankfully I threw out or gave away all the bad food or I'd be hitting on some Valentine's Day chocolate right now!!!!

I'm not sure where you live, but have you looked into a local shop that sells smoothie drinks?

In WA we have Jamba Juice and Emerald City Smoothies. I perfer the ones that are from a health food store because they have less sugar.

You can always have add-ins like protein, flax oil, vitamins, etc.

i am confused...i am doing the pre-op diet, and i was told to drink slim fast for breakfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for supper. the paperwork didn't say anything about protein drinks... :huh: am i doing something wrong?

Someone told me either here or on another board that the Slimfast drinks had too much carbs in them and they were't good for pre-op. They ARE loaded with carbs - much more than the protein drinks I'm mixing. But they sure do taste a LOT better ;) My email from Dr. Miranda said "protein shake".

I wish we had a smoothie type place. I live so far out, we don't even have a Starbucks, lol.

Hi Everyone,

I started my pre-op diet yestertday. I am doing the 12 days of Shake for Breakfast & Lunch and a Lean Cusine for dinner. I have been drinking the Atkins Advantage Vanilla (quite good, a little too sweet). I have had trouble deciding which Lean Cusine to choose. There are Cafe Style, Home Style, Comfort Food, and SPa Style all at my local Wally World. I stuck with the SPa Style, since it seems like the type of "healthy food" I should be practicing with.

I have also be practicing eat s l o w e r, and not drinking with my meal. That's going to be a hard one.

Two week until D-day now, March 9th. :)

Bubbles

If I could be happy eating protein drinks all day, I wouldn't be getting a LAP BAND, lol. NASTY stuff. Why can't they make one that tastes like filet mignon? :)

My understanding was the Pre op was to prepare you for your weeks ahead and to make the liver small and soft enough to move. Thus the low carb diet and liquids. Carbs make you liver VERY hard so hard it can crack when being moved . So my Dr told me NO Slim fast and No high carb shakes. BUT The Atkins Advantage 1 carb is not that bad. I use the Chocolate. AND everyother day I go to ISOPURE ready made from GNC. Your body can only process 30 g of protien ever 3 to 4 hrs. So anything over that is a waist. IM 3 wks post op now and still on liquid and now some soft foods. The ISOPURE is about $4. But half the bottle is all you use at once and you only need 1 full bottle a day . Shakes are only about 15 g and they run about $4 a 4 pk. So truly not as expensive as it feels like..lol. AND GNC runs BYGOF specials on ISOPURE a lot. Also whole foods makes a pretty good Protien drink at the deli counter if you have one. Just for a Change up.

My understanding was the Pre op was to prepare you for your weeks ahead and to make the liver small and soft enough to move. Thus the low carb diet and liquids. Carbs make you liver VERY hard so hard it can crack when being moved . So my Dr told me NO Slim fast and No high carb shakes. BUT The Atkins Advantage 1 carb is not that bad. I use the Chocolate. AND everyother day I go to ISOPURE ready made from GNC. Your body can only process 30 g of protien ever 3 to 4 hrs. So anything over that is a waist. IM 3 wks post op now and still on liquid and now some soft foods. The ISOPURE is about $4. But half the bottle is all you use at once and you only need 1 full bottle a day . Shakes are only about 15 g and they run about $4 a 4 pk. So truly not as expensive as it feels like..lol. AND GNC runs BYGOF specials on ISOPURE a lot. Also whole foods makes a pretty good Protien drink at the deli counter if you have one. Just for a Change up.

I've been eating samples I ordered. They are all lo carb. The closest GNC is about 60 miles from here but I did buy some of the Isopure RTD at the outlet store (the nearest GNC) and also had some samples from vitalady with the powder.

It all still tastes nasty, lol :)

Does anyone else remember Nestles Sweet Success??? I remember drinking in when I was in 8th grade / high school (around 94) and it was SO GOOD. I wish they still had it around for the pre-op phase :(.

Just wondering if any of you post ops had the feeling of failing before you went. I am so excited to be having this surgery but so scared at the same time. I talked to Dr. Miranda yesterday and she wants me to lose 30 lbs by my surgery date of March 27th. My first reaction was to say are you nuts, but then I got to thinking she is a dr. and knows what she is thinking. After I hung up the phone I was thinking if I could do this then why do I need surgery? What if I don't make it do they turn me away? what about my non refundable airline ticket? I am not giving up and I will give this all I have to give, It is only for a month and I think I can stick to it, I just don't know if the body will shed the fat that fast! :-? Am I worrying for nothing???

CHeers and High hopes

Larissa

Just wondering if any of you post ops had the feeling of failing before you went. I am so excited to be having this surgery but so scared at the same time. I talked to Dr. Miranda yesterday and she wants me to lose 30 lbs by my surgery date of March 27th. My first reaction was to say are you nuts, but then I got to thinking she is a dr. and knows what she is thinking. After I hung up the phone I was thinking if I could do this then why do I need surgery? What if I don't make it do they turn me away? what about my non refundable airline ticket? I am not giving up and I will give this all I have to give, It is only for a month and I think I can stick to it, I just don't know if the body will shed the fat that fast! :-? Am I worrying for nothing???

CHeers and High hopes

Larissa

I feel the same way! I have to lose 22lbs. from the 310 that I was at when I filled out the paperwork. I gained another 8lbs so I got to 318. I've lost 15 but still need to get to around 290 according to Dr. Miranda. It's almost impossible. The first week I lost eleven, but since then not much. It's very frustrating. I hope they don't tell me to reschedule, it was hard enough to find the time to do it now. Mine is on March 16th. Good luck!!

Stacy

If I get sent home for not losing weight I'm going to cry :(

I've been drinking the protein shakes like I'm supposed to so my liver SHOULD be in better shape than it was if that's the issue. I know I had liver tests done in December and all was okie dokie but I don't think it's the liver FUNCTION they're concerned about, just the condition of the liver.

Who knows. I'll just keep drinking this disgusting stuff, feel starved and hope for the best!!

I feel the same way! I have to lose 22lbs. from the 310 that I was at when I filled out the paperwork. I gained another 8lbs so I got to 318. I've lost 15 but still need to get to around 290 according to Dr. Miranda. It's almost impossible. The first week I lost eleven, but since then not much. It's very frustrating. I hope they don't tell me to reschedule, it was hard enough to find the time to do it now. Mine is on March 16th. Good luck!!

Stacy

Glad to know that I am not the only one who is having a hard time with this. Good luck on your surgery I will be thinking about you. thanks

Cheers

Larissa

Kinda makes me wish I'd lied about my original weight - they'd be so happy I got "down" to 200 pounds ;)

(Lori, you didn't read that.......)

No kidding! Will they really reschedule? I haven't heard anyone say that they were. Has that happend to anyone?

Stacy

No kidding! Will they really reschedule? I haven't heard anyone say that they were. Has that happend to anyone?

Stacy

my mom and i are scheduled for the 19th she has left a couple of messages for the nutritionist and hasn't reached her how long have you been on the liquid diet? We are planning to start it tomarrow. Just thinking about it is making me hungrey. I haven't heard that anyone has been home but I would just die if we did.

I haven't heard about anyone being sent home, and I have been on this board for 6 months. I know the first week of preop, is miserable, but you lose a lot of water weight. The next week, nothing happens, but you are really losing weight, but getting some water back. So don't be discouraged. It is not all about the scale number. Just follow your pre-op diet religiously.

I hear you when you say if you could lose 30 pounds you wouldn't need the band. But I disagree. I believe that many, if not all of us here, have lost weight in the past. I have lost 30 pounds more times than I could count. The trouble was the next 70, and keeping off that thirty. There is where I had problems. The good part is that once you lose the 30 pounds, or whatever for surgery, you have the band. So you will be able to keep is off. And lose more. If I was told that I would be given a permanent solution to my weight problem if I just lost the 100 pounds to begin with....you better believe I would have done it. It is the long run that was so impossible to me, but that now is very possible.

Good luck. I am so excited for all of you having surgery soon. It is the best thing I have ever done. 60 pounds in 6 months. I am amazed just looking in the mirror. I almost don't recognize myself!!

Good luck.

Becki

Stacy

I'm hoping it's one of those "You really better take this seriously" threats and not something that would really happen. :) I HAVE been adhereing to the diet - moreso after a couple of days and I started it a bit early since I knew I was going out with friends last weekend. I have a family dinner this weekend, but I can eat salad and not raise suspicions. They know I need to lose weight so even though they don't know about the surgery, they're not cruel enough to say "No, eat the steak, potatoes and dessert!".

Well I have made it through day 2 now. I consumed 625 calories yesterday and 730 today. It is embarrasing to say but that would have been lunch and dinner in one day, before this pre op diet. The only time this really bothers me is in the morning I wake up hungry and could eat a bear and a half...those slim fast shakes just don't make it. ( before anyone says anything I called Dr. Miranda and she said slim fast was fine to use). So I am really grouchy in the AM but if I make it past 10:30 Am it seems to ease up then I eat a late lunch and we eat about 7 pm and that last till I fall asleep. I only have 26 more days to do...I can and will do this...

Every one keep up the good work...we get through this part we will be rewarded for our efforts.

Cheers and High Hopes!!

larissa

Well I have made it through day 2 now. I consumed 625 calories yesterday and 730 today. It is embarrasing to say but that would have been lunch and dinner in one day, before this pre op diet. The only time this really bothers me is in the morning I wake up hungry and could eat a bear and a half...those slim fast shakes just don't make it. ( before anyone says anything I called Dr. Miranda and she said slim fast was fine to use). So I am really grouchy in the AM but if I make it past 10:30 Am it seems to ease up then I eat a late lunch and we eat about 7 pm and that last till I fall asleep. I only have 26 more days to do...I can and will do this...

Every one keep up the good work...we get through this part we will be rewarded for our efforts.

Cheers and High Hopes!!

larissa

Try taking a metamucil fiber caplet. It helps with the hunger cravings.

I woke up this morning (day 3 of my 28 day pre op diet) and I was not hungry at all. I think it is mind over matter and coming up with a schedule for your body. Not to say that I won't be hungry at a different time today, but this is just one more hurdle I have jumped over. There is hope!!!

I took a metamusil table the first day when I was so hungry in the evening and drank the 2 glasses of water with it and was up all night peeing. So I skipped yesterday but will definitely take it today much earlier lol. Thanks Clynn!

Cheers and High Hopes

Larissa