MX Sterilization Practices

Hi everyone,

I'm new here as you probably can tell. I have been researching lap band surgery, of late I have been researching having the procedure down out of the USA as I am a "light-weight" with a BMI of 35.7. I'm looking at MX, Germany and France. I am concerned about going to Europe because of the flight home. I don't imagine flying so far a few days after surgery to be a good idea.

I live in Los Angeles, so getting to Mexico for the surgery and for fills would not be a huge or expensive ordeal for me.

I have discussed this with my husband, and explained that Dr. Ortiz is my first choice and why (mainly his experience...followed by all the good feedback I've read about him online.)

Our primary concern is the sterilization techniques used in any foreign country, but especially with MX. It's sad that when you say "I plan to have surgery in TJ", everyone imagines a back alley abortion with a rusty butterknife...but such is the stigma.

How can I find objective documentation regarding the sterilization practices Dr. Ortiz and his staff use, and how does it compare to U.S. standards? Any help would be appreciated!

hi,

Dr. Ortiz just banded me on 2/27. I chose him because i live in AZ and it would be close and convenient for fills...

i can't even express enough how thoroughly IMPRESSED i was with Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez, the facility and the entire staff there in TJ!!

i myself was VERY sceptical of Mexico as well, but trust me...they are TOP NOTCH, CLEAN and on par with ANY American facility that you might choose!

they are also in your backyard, so why would you go elsewhere? they truly are the BEST...really! I researched for one year and finally decided on Dr. Ortiz...plus he took my call on his cell phone on a Sunday and answered ALL of my annoying questions!! i was a big chicken and he and Dr. Martinez are SO GREAT that it took all of the paranoia out of my decision. I just returned home last night and even called Dr. Martinez directly on his cell with a question and again...nothing but WONDERFUL to me!! i can't say enough about my experience there!! hope that helps you...gppd lucl whatever you decide!!

lisa :)

One of the people banded the same day as me was a nurse and the friend he brought was also a nurse. She went in an observed his surgery and said she was very impressed with the whole procedure and the clinic. Everything is state of the art, clean, and even a bit cozy.

This whole thing was a worry of mine. I have heard some not so great things about Mexico and medical procedures. That was really a deciding factor for me, I didn't want to have surgery in a Mexican hospital. I wanted great practices and a clean place. I also wanted to to be understood if I needed help.

Dr. Ortiz clinic was far cleaner and more sanitary than anything I have seen in the US. You have to wear booties just so that they can draw blood! It was far cleaner and more sanitary than my local hospital where I spend some time a few months later. I wished I could have gone back to Dr. Ortiz for my kidney stones!

Becki

This whole thing was a worry of mine. I have heard some not so great things about Mexico and medical procedures. That was really a deciding factor for me, I didn't want to have surgery in a Mexican hospital. I wanted great practices and a clean place. I also wanted to to be understood if I needed help.

Dr. Ortiz clinic was far cleaner and more sanitary than anything I have seen in the US. You have to wear booties just so that they can draw blood! It was far cleaner and more sanitary than my local hospital where I spend some time a few months later. I wished I could have gone back to Dr. Ortiz for my kidney stones!

Becki

Wow--booties to draw blood? That actually turned my head. I will definitely have to share that one with my husband. Truth be told, I think I have already made my decision. Now, I just have to keep my husband from having a nervous breakdown until it's over--lol. He will be coming with me when I do this, so hopefully meeting everyone will help him with his fears.

I actually speak Spanish, so the language barrier is not an issue for me. But short of bring a microscope with me to examine the floors and the surgical tools...I'm not sure how to reassure my husband!

Thank you everyone for responding--please keep them coming so I can show DH! The more the better.

Becki

I would agree, whole heartly with mommyrkr. The whole staff, cleanliness, nurses, Dr.'rs., procedure, comfort, etc. was outstanding. I had high expectations too from all the reading. I was so scared, I honestly thought I was going to give myself a heart attack from nerves from making this decision............and double the worry for me, because my 15 year old was being banded too. It's hard to tell someone not to worry, because with all the horror stories they hear about surgerys in MX, its hard not to worry. Then you hear good things, and it's hard to believe.

Teri

I would agree, whole heartly with mommyrkr. The whole staff, cleanliness, nurses, Dr.'rs., procedure, comfort, etc. was outstanding. I had high expectations too from all the reading. I was so scared, I honestly thought I was going to give myself a heart attack from nerves from making this decision............and double the worry for me, because my 15 year old was being banded too. It's hard to tell someone not to worry, because with all the horror stories they hear about surgerys in MX, its hard not to worry. Then you hear good things, and it's hard to believe.

Teri

Thanks, Teri. This morning I have definitely made my decision, for sure, and believe I can convince my husband. I went to the Website for the American College of Surgeons and printed out the verification of his status as a fellow, and then printed out all the requirements for Fellowship. Hey--this is as good as it gets for surgeons in the U.S, right? And since the College actually investigates the surgical practices of the applicant's, what more can one expect, right? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have often wondered how I can be reassured that the cleanliness, etc. is comparable to US standards, and here it is right in my face. He has been inspected by a U.S. entity that is the epitome of safety and quality--or am I reaching here? :lol:

Hello! I am also a nurse in the US. I work in a somewhat new, fairly large hospital on the Progressive Care Unit...We see alot of post surgical (open hearts) on our floor and I have to tell you, after seeing Dr. Ortiz' office/clinic "My hospital" looks like a dump...I was extremely pleased with his facility & staff...My husband and co-workers called me crazy for going to TJ for surgery, but now with 20/20 hindsite- I wouldn't go anywhere else. I love Dr ortiz and all of his staff!!! They Rock!!!

Aloha ,

As a former Hospital Engineer . I've worked in many operating rooms that appeared clean that were scummy . I was looking for a reason not to do my surgery . I could not find one . The equipment was new / near new and state of the art. Being with my background I had asked pointed questions and received great answers. But what I saw happen there amazed me .....

1 There was a girl coming back to Dr O after having major complications ( Her fault or gods fault 1 year later ).... and praised him for everything and said she would be back next summer to do it again.

2 There was a guy that was refused service for health reasons and he was trying to do it again. they rejected 2nd time , but I thing they did his surgery as I was leaving ....... To me it not all about the money.

3 One lady also had a hernia that was taken care of at no charge .

Dr O is good .....

If you ask me your only worry should be the Ride though TJ with MOMMA Oritz ..... They some wild divers in Mexico but she got us thought it

Thanks, Capt B for the info. It really helps. I have actually been over the border quite a bit, so I am accustomed, although always amazed, at the crappy drivers in TJ. Taking a cab is always a prayerful endeavor...

Pammie--thanks for sharing your pics. I'd actually seen them before in my research through these boards and cracked up at how happy you both look during the process. It was a comfort to see how relaxed it can be. Although I have to wonder to took the picture of the woman (you?) on the table... I'm hoping it was a nurse or doctor... :)

Thanks, Capt B for the info. It really helps. I have actually been over the border quite a bit, so I am accustomed, although always amazed, at the crappy drivers in TJ. Taking a cab is always a prayerful endeavor...

Pammie--thanks for sharing your pics. I'd actually seen them before in my research through these boards and cracked up at how happy you both look during the process. It was a comfort to see how relaxed it can be. Although I have to wonder to took the picture of the woman (you?) on the table... I'm hoping it was a nurse or doctor... :)

YEAH, THAT'S ME ON THE TABLE :) OF COURSE I LOOK WAYYYYYYYYYYY BETTER NOW LOL

RANDY AKA "THE TOOL GUY" TOOK THE PICTURES IN THE OR