PROTEIN SHAKES

HELLO ALL. I WAS WONDERING WHERE SOME OF YOU ARE GETTING THE DIFFERENT FLAVOR PROTEIN SHAKES AT? SOME OF THEM SOUND REALLY YUMMY BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO GET SOME OF THESE. ALSO ARE YOU GUYS DRINKING THESE PRE-OP OR POST-OP? I NEED TO LOOSE 30 POUNDS BEFORE MY SURGERY ON APRIL 20TH. ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED........HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE SOON....

HELLO ALL. I WAS WONDERING WHERE SOME OF YOU ARE GETTING THE DIFFERENT FLAVOR PROTEIN SHAKES AT? SOME OF THEM SOUND REALLY YUMMY BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO GET SOME OF THESE. ALSO ARE YOU GUYS DRINKING THESE PRE-OP OR POST-OP? I NEED TO LOOSE 30 POUNDS BEFORE MY SURGERY ON APRIL 20TH. ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED........HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE SOON....

The more common brands of shake you can get them at any grocery store or drug store. More obscure brands can be gotten at a supplement or health food store. You should talk to Dr Miranda and she will give you a detailed meal plan on for before and after surgery. She's easily available and your best resource for what you should be eating.

I really liked the Adkins shakes. They were way better than the Slimfast low carbs. Bad thing is, I had a reaction of hives all over my body from them. I spoke with a MD I work with and she stated that many people have reactions to the high protein and the type of protein in these shakes. So, keep an eye out for weird symptoms. She stated that she actually had arthritis symptoms with the Costco brand but not with Slim Fast. Anyway, I have been doing a protein bar from Zone Balance that is really good and low carb for part of my preop diet. I've lost 12lbs in 7 days. Good luck with your diet too.

I really like the Amplify Chocolate Mint (bought at GNC) and the Isopure Fruit Punch and Grape (also at GNC). For me, having them really cold is definitely best. Also, I bought a "Blender Bottle" at GNC which is great for mixing protein powders. It will hold up to 20 oz. and has a stainless stell "ball" (open like a wire whisk) inside that really gets everything well mixed when I shake it. The lid closes very tightly and is also easy to drink out of. In my opinion, it's the "Cadillac" of mixer bottles!

Good luck!

Kelly

Strive4Fitness <info@strive4fitness.com>

This is the info for a mix that I was given last year. I do not know if there is still a discount thry occ but these are loaded with protien and other vit and nutrients, they taste very good

Also try your local GNC food store. Ther hace a pretty good selection. You should go ahead and get the big 3 lb canisters because you will have to use them when you go back for fills as well, it helps with the cost.

I mix a blender full of it using skim milk. If you put it in the fridge it keeps well. Also after it sits in the fridge for a couple of hours the mix really breaks down and gets creamy. Its great even after you are on normal food for a quick breakfast of a snack to hold you over. I will actually use the Vanilla and for a desert will add some instant coffee mix or cocoa for a very good for you treat

Elmo, I drank Ensure High Protein Shakes...Butter Pecan flavored...YUM-my!!! Bought them at Longs Drugstore.

I also bought Slim Fast coffee flavored, but there is something about drinking them out of a can (Slim-Fast) versus a plastic bottle (Ensure) that grosses me out. It has a weird almost fishy taste. I don't know, but the Ensure ones were awesome.

Good luck!

E

(Banded 03/16/2007 by Dr. Ortiz)

Just an IDEA for the pre-op diet! You can buy Cambridge diet products which come in a variety of flavors, including shakes, soups, and bars! It is a high protein, low fat diet. Just like Medifast, but really cheap.

I did it before deciding on the surgery. I lost 28 pounds in the first month, going from 247 to 219. I was SO thrilled. I continued until I lost 38 pounds, but then I cheated, and once I tasted REAL food again there was NO turning back!! I gained all the weight back plus some! Tried it a few more times after that with the same results, and gave up. HOWEVER, the soups and shakes are pretty good, and not that expensive. They come in nice little canisters, and you WILL lose weight fast if you do the shakes/soups only. Personally I am going to use it for my pre-op diet.

Everytime I did Cambridge I lost 10-11 pounds the first week. Anyway, if you are interested, you can e-mail me or just check out the website!

sparks2n2@yahoo.com

or www.cambridgedietusa.com

Hope this helps!

Donna

I've been using the Unjury powders and Protica liquid. I like the Protica because they are like small shots with 26 grams of protein and no fat, calories or carbs. Just a nice little "fill me up before I starve" pick me up :) I also like the Atkins RTD shakes.

Are you sure about the no calories? I thought all protein had calories, but am now curious.

And my choice was Adkins vanilla or strawberry. I love chocolate, but the chocolate shakes did not taste good to me. It seemed without carbs, there was a bad aftertaste with the cocoa. And the EAS in vanilla tasted good as well.

I drink the EAS shakes from walmart, they really arent too bad, the vanilla seems to leave less of any after taste than the chocolate and i have heard that they also make strawberry, but I have not tried those. KatieB

I'm also drinking the EAS AdvantEdge vanilla shakes. They are not as thick as other protein shakes and the after taste isnt tooo bad. I'm not much of a sweets person, so that shake thing is really killing me.

If you are looking for some alternative to protein shakes Special K has a 10g protein water.There are also some good juices such as NONI and XANGO

www.vim.natureswellnesssecret.com

These products will assist you with increasing your protein intake . Good luck!!

I bought a Vitamix blender (wonderful machine) at Costco and they also sold a double pack of soy protein powder called Whole Nectar which can be blended with most anything to make smoothies or shakes. It also came with a recipe and info book with the powder and another one with the machine, so it gave me lots of ideas, but I try to stay with mostly fruits, veggies, non-fat yogurt, and ice to keep the calories lower and stay away from the ones that add sherbet and stuff like that. I'm really a picky eater and didn't like many of the drinks out there, but this one has a pretty neutral taste and doesn't change the flavor of the ingredients too much. You can get it on their website also, but it's cheaper if you find it when they have one of those road show type displays at Costco. www.wholenectar.com

Kim