need some encouragement

Hi there - I am feeling a little discouraged, but I know that if I just hear from a couple of people who have been through this, I will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had surgery on 1/8/07. Before my first fill, 6 weeks later, I had lost maybe 2 lbs. I had little to no restriction during that time - I wish my first fill had been at 3 weeks. Anyway, after my first fill, I lost in about 6 weeks, maybe only another 2 lbs. With 1.8 ccs I felt really no restriction as to the amount of food I could eat. I had to eat slower, but not less. Yesterday, I received a fill - I am now at 2.9 ccs. I feel restriction now, maybe too much. But, that is a different story.

So, my frustration is - all of my life, I haven't been able to lose weight. I have screwed everything I have tried up. I just plain eat too much and what I shouldn't. Is it possible that I am so prone to being fat that I will screw this up too? Am I so addicted to food that I should just resign myself to the fact that I will always be this way? I am not looking to be a super model - but to wear normal clothes would be nice. Today is my 29th birthday - and I don't want to start my 30s the way I am today. Anything anyone could tell me would help a ton. Thanks.

Hi there - I am feeling a little discouraged, but I know that if I just hear from a couple of people who have been through this, I will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had surgery on 1/8/07. Before my first fill, 6 weeks later, I had lost maybe 2 lbs. I had little to no restriction during that time - I wish my first fill had been at 3 weeks. Anyway, after my first fill, I lost in about 6 weeks, maybe only another 2 lbs. With 1.8 ccs I felt really no restriction as to the amount of food I could eat. I had to eat slower, but not less. Yesterday, I received a fill - I am now at 2.9 ccs. I feel restriction now, maybe too much. But, that is a different story.

So, my frustration is - all of my life, I haven't been able to lose weight. I have screwed everything I have tried up. I just plain eat too much and what I shouldn't. Is it possible that I am so prone to being fat that I will screw this up too? Am I so addicted to food that I should just resign myself to the fact that I will always be this way? I am not looking to be a super model - but to wear normal clothes would be nice. Today is my 29th birthday - and I don't want to start my 30s the way I am today. Anything anyone could tell me would help a ton. Thanks.

FIRST OFF, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)

YOU JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER, IT TOOK MORE THEN A MONTH TO GET TO THE SIZE WE ARE NOW AND IT DOES TAKE TIME FOR IT TO COME OFF. YOU'VE GOT A LIFE TIME TO KEEP WORKING WITH THIS NEW TOOL. IT'S ONLY BEEN A FEW MONTHS, GIVE IT TIME TO WORK. YOU'LL BE MOVING ALONG IN NO TIME :)

Happy Birthday, Keep your chin up and your mind on your goal. I too have been a littel depressed about not being able to eat the foods that I love, but I made this choice to change my life and you have too. Food sometimes becomes our best friend, I drive an hour to work every day and all I would think about is what fast food joint am I going to stop at today and what will I get when I get there? Its not easy but you can get through it. As the story goes, "This too shall pass"

Hi Pammie

I can feel your frustration and pain through your words.

At this point I have not had the surgery, I am hoping to learn more about it before I take the plunge...its something that I said I would never have done, but the weight creeping on over the past couple of years, has made me really think about this as nothing else has helped.....I just dont have the drive to keep on track with diets, and although I dont believe I eat too much...I do graze through the day and always on the wrong stuff!! and have been overweight all my life.

I am in Australia and lap bands seem to be the most popular Bariatric surgery down here. We are planning a trip to the USA in November, and although getting my weight under control will be a lifetime commitment, the incentive to go overseas and enjoy what life has to offer before getting too much older has prompted me to look into this proceedure.

I guess the adjustments do take a while, but you have started to drop , although maybe not as quickly as you had hoped , but it looks positive Pammie.

I hope you do have a happy birthday and know that your 30's will be the best years you have, as over the next couple of year you are set to transform your life :D

Hey Stockprincess!

Was great to talk with you yesterday, how did it go with the unfill for you. I wish we would have had more time to talk, but I thought or assumed rather you may have wanted to go eat soup or drink to test the fill level, so I actually thought I would see you at the restarant Wendy suggested. We took off pretty fast, so sorry about that. I did have to return even after the 1cc she withdrew. Still was to tight. She ended up giving me a shot for swelling, and took out another .5, so I am at 2.65cc. I havent updated my fill amounts, but will. Let me know how it went. Beautiful drive up there though, hunh?

Teri

PS> Happy Birthday again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Teri. Glad you are doing better. I am still tight - she took out .3, so I am at 2.6 right now. I can eat, but not much, and the 3 bites i am able to take are painful. Anyway, no worries about leaving - I know you needed to find out how your fill was. I am sure we will run into each other again. I am just happy to start losing weight. I just need to be patient! How was your week?

It took my until my third fill to feel the restriction I needed to really take off. The other thing it took was getting out and walking. Diet alone won't do it. If you are making the right food choices, and getting the daily exercise that you should be getting, then you will lose the weight. Keep working at it - this thing is hard but it works and it's worth it. I've had the band a little over a year and I've lost almost 100lbs. I can finally say I'm under 200lbs (it has been almost 25 years since I could say that).

If I can do this - Anyone can,

Kathy

Thanks, Teri. Glad you are doing better. I am still tight - she took out .3, so I am at 2.6 right now. I can eat, but not much, and the 3 bites i am able to take are painful. Anyway, no worries about leaving - I know you needed to find out how your fill was. I am sure we will run into each other again. I am just happy to start losing weight. I just need to be patient! How was your week?

Had a great week. What a great thing it is to be able to drink water.!!!!!!!!! I hate being tight. What a misirable way to go. Wendy will be here today, but I have no intentions on seeing her until next month! (She's meeting her sister in Mesa to go on a cruise). I'm lettin this fill ride. Loose or not. Since my band seems to always tighten a few weeks later, it might be perfect then. We ended up going to the Renasance Festival on Sun. and had never been, what a trip. LOL, it was great to fit into some small capris. Good Luck. Where in the Valley do you live?

Ter

I found this poem and I think it fits. Read it and I hope it gives you some encouragement.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Inspirational Poem

Try and Try

Happy Birthday & Hang in there! It sounds as if you are doing thr right things. The fact that you are feeling restriction now is a good sign. everyone is different and loses at a different pace. As long as you are not gaining weight then you are on the right track. Think positive! Keep a journal, attend support groups, see a therapist and pray to whatever higher power you believe in. You are in charge of your life and the changes that you decide to make. You are powerful and can do this. keep going and soon you will be feeling good on the inside and outside1

GingerHang in there! :)

Stockprincess,

Haven't heard from you and I wanted to check to see how you are holding up. Weight loss is a very stressful factor in the lives of those that are trying, please remember that it takes time and that we are here to support you.

GiBaby

Had a great week. What a great thing it is to be able to drink water.!!!!!!!!! I hate being tight. What a misirable way to go. Wendy will be here today, but I have no intentions on seeing her until next month! (She's meeting her sister in Mesa to go on a cruise). I'm lettin this fill ride. Loose or not. Since my band seems to always tighten a few weeks later, it might be perfect then. We ended up going to the Renasance Festival on Sun. and had never been, what a trip. LOL, it was great to fit into some small capris. Good Luck. Where in the Valley do you live?

Ter

Hi, I'm from Gilbert! Your message stopped me--I am scheduled for surgery for April 6th (Friday). I'm just wondering what is meant by "being tight." Does this mean you literally cannot drink water? What does it feel like? Also, did you read Dr. Ortiz' book? I'm wondering if I should since there seems to be so 'much more' to this procedure.

How many times have you had fills, and how can you tell--I mean, I guess I'll probably have to wait and see, but I'm wondering what all this stuff means. I would think it would be good to be "tight" as this would mean you would lose more weight. But if it's so miserable---what??--like a knife in your gut? or just a heartburn kind of feeling?

Any input would be appreciated. I visited the office when I was in San Diego (for my divorce trial!) last week and stopped by and set up a time with them. But I didn't get too much information--none, really, except when to be there, da, da da.

Thanks,

Colleen

Hi, I'm from Gilbert! Your message stopped me--I am scheduled for surgery for April 6th (Friday). I'm just wondering what is meant by "being tight." Does this mean you literally cannot drink water? What does it feel like? Also, did you read Dr. Ortiz' book? I'm wondering if I should since there seems to be so 'much more' to this procedure.

How many times have you had fills, and how can you tell--I mean, I guess I'll probably have to wait and see, but I'm wondering what all this stuff means. I would think it would be good to be "tight" as this would mean you would lose more weight. But if it's so miserable---what??--like a knife in your gut? or just a heartburn kind of feeling?

Any input would be appreciated. I visited the office when I was in San Diego (for my divorce trial!) last week and stopped by and set up a time with them. But I didn't get too much information--none, really, except when to be there, da, da da.

Thanks,

Colleen

Hi Colleen! Gilbert is close! I'm in Gold Canyon. AZ thread has mentioned a bandster get together, but I think we need someone to step up and organize it. ?????? Any way, to answer your questions.......

Being tight- the "ring" around the inside of the band adjusts with the injection of saline. The opening that food slides down becomes smaller and smaller with each injection of saline. With me, the opening becomes smaller or tightens up after days or even weeks of getting a fill. It could happen from to much food at once, irriating the lining inside the pouch, creating an even smaller opening. When you drink water, you can swallow, BUT, it first must pass through the "ring" inside your band and continue down through to your stomach. The water just stays without empty-ing if you are to "tight". The result is water coming back up because it cannot go down. It's so miserable because it's so painful.

It feels like.......this.... Think of a 2 minute hourglass- you take a tiny sip, and it is going to stay there for a while, trying to empty. I dont know why water wouldn't empty, you think it would, but it feels like a type of "brain freeze", going down, that can last for an HOUR! It's painful. You would think at least water would go down, but not a chance. I'm probably confusing you and dont mean to. It's just how I explain it.

Dr. Ortiz'z book- Yes, I did order it off amazon.com. It's good to educate yourself.

It's the "sweet spot" tight your looking for. It's finding that "just right" fill, so you eat little, are able to drink fluids and lose weight..............Getting there with fills and unfills can be a process. Some get lucky, and that part is all chance. :-? B)

ALL the best with your surgery on the 6th and hopefully the ONE fill that will do the trick for you. ><'

Teri