Secret Lap Bander

Hello Everyone,

Are there any other secret lap banders out there?

I got my lap band in TJ on 4/17/07. I haven't told any of my family or friends yet. I fell a great since of shame that I had to resort to the lap band to get control of my poor eating habits.

I live in Northern Calif and just about everyone in my life in very healthy and fit. My daughter is a nutritionist and she's always tried to help with my food issue's. I just can not tell her I did this.

It's been 3 years of working out with a personal trainer, hiking 4 or more miles a day in the forest, riding my bike whenever I can, trying to eat right but I saw so little results that I needed something more to help control the eating.

I weighed 203 the day of the surgery, I'm 190 lbs today. I don't remember what my BMI

I've had a few bad episodes that really scared me when I first started eating solid foods, i.e. choking then throwing up, bad gas, choking, pain in the chest or shoulder. I live alone and no-one knows about this so I have no-one to talk it thru when it's happen.

I've gotten very careful about how and what I eat. When I'm eating with friends and family I've told them I'm trying to healthier and slower, using a small spoon when eating really helps. Since I've been battling my weight for years they don't question my new efforts.

I've also been very careful of someone seeing my incisions, there healing really well to my suprise. One of them I can't even see and it's only been three weeks.

I was very happy with the doctor and staff in TJ considering I went down there without anyone knowing I was going let alone going for surgery. I'm going to be going back soon to get my first fill.

Well thats my story. I would love to meet other lap banders, I look forward to your replies.

Hello Everyone,

I got my lap band in TJ on 4/17/07. I haven't told any of my family or friends yet. I fell a great since of shame that I had to resort to the lap band to get control of my poor eating habits.

I live in Northern Calif and just about everyone in my life in very healthy and fit. My daughter is a nutritionist and she's always tried to help with my food issue's. I just can not tell her I did this.

It's been 3 years of working out with a personal trainer, hiking 4 or more miles a day in the forest, riding my bike whenever I can, trying to eat right but I saw so little results that I needed something more to help control the eating.

I weighed 203 the day of the surgery, I'm 190 lbs today. I don't remember what my BMI

I've had a few bad episodes that really scared me when I first started eating solid foods, i.e. choking then throwing up, bad gas, choking, pain in the chest or shoulder. I live alone and no-one knows about this so I have no-one to talk it thru when it's happen.

I've gotten very careful about how and what I eat. When I'm eating with friends and family I've told them I'm trying to healthier and slower, using a small spoon when eating really helps. Since I've been battling my weight for years they don't question my new efforts.

I've also been very careful of someone seeing my incisions, there healing really well to my suprise. One of them I can't even see and it's only been three weeks.

I was very happy with the doctor and staff in TJ considering I went down there without anyone knowing I was going let alone going for surgery. I'm going to be going back soon to get my first fill.

Well thats my story. I would love to meet other lap banders, I look forward to your replies.

I kept mine pretty much under wraps too, (at least I thought, anyway).

I told a trusted friend at work--for support...she had Gastric Bypass and really helped me decide mentally.

I told my fiance...I needed someone to go with me...hahahaaaaaaa!

Then I told my mom and my daughter...I mean, what if something happened and NO ONE knew...even a car accident.

Then I told my aunt...she lost her husband to suicide in January and if something DID happen, I wanted to spare her not knowing.

That was it...before surgery at least.

Well then my fiance told our roommate, who told his girlfriend.

Then my fiance told his co-workers-two of them had Lap-Band in November.

Then, when I came back, I told my boss...I mean, what if something happened at work...she'd need to know, right?

And I've told my sister, who told her boyfriend. And my best friend.

So it's still a secret, right? 13 people...oh what the heck...I may as well post a newspaper ad now...

CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD LUCK!

E ><'

Hello Everyone,

I'm with you! There's only one other person on the planet (aside from all the people at the OCC and the great folks on this site) -- that knows I have this band - and I will only tell one other person - my Primary Care doc at my HMO - when I'm ready. Its no ones business but yours -

its your body and your life and you have the right to make decsions about it! But yes - there are "others" !!! Good for you. And stop being ashamed right now - shame never helped anyone do anything. You have nothing to be ashamed about = you are to be commended ! You did a wonderful thing for yourself ! What a great gift !! Congratulations --

Lisa

Hello Everyone,

Another secret bander - It fine for you as it's a personal choice and a personal jouney! For me, I decided to tell only a few people, my wife, my kids and my best friend. I trust them to kepp it in the family and that's it. It really isn't anyone else's business right? As far as being ashamed about getting the band, you shouldn't be at all. It's a tool to help you change your life. Anyone who has this will tell you that it takes work and effort to achieve results, the lap band is not a magic pill or an automatic success. It's just an aid. There are a million improvements that come around everyday that make our lives better- where would we be without tupperware or sonograms or laproscopic surgery for that matter- this is just a better way for those of us who are weight challenged! Nothing to be ashamed of- but you can still choose to tell or not to tell.

As far as talking to people- this is a great place to do that and everyone here gets what you are going through. We have all had those whoops moments and we all learn real quick what and how much to eat. When eating out, stick with soups and "wet dishes" and as the weight comes off, they will all want to know what you are doing to get so thin (pretty cool, right?) I just tell them i'm kind of doing a mix between weight watchers and Atkins- that usually makes them give up and changes the subject!

Good Luck on your journey... it's all good!!

Me. I told some of my family and waited until the day before I left. I really wasn't planning on telling them at all but then I realized if something happened in TJ, I'd probably need to call them and didn't want them to be surprised. In hindsight, BIG MISTAKE. Now everytime I hear from them it's "So, how much weight have you lost?". Apparently they think I'm going to lose 100 pounds the first month. They are quite disappointed when I tell them I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months.

I told 2 friends - one who took me to and picked me up from the airport. She had gastric bypass 20+ years ago but has gained the weight back. She was very encouraging and I've given her my lapband books. She has several health problems and can probably get it done in the states with insurance. The other friend's husband was getting gastric bypass and she spends every second telling me lapband won't work (she references a friend of ours who had it done 4-5 years ago at a size 24. She hasn't had a fill "in years", and now "fluctuates between a 10 and 16". Personally if someone's a 24 and the highest they are now is a 16 with no fills, I think she'd doing pretty damn good). Of course her husband has lost more actual WEIGHT than I have, but will be out of work for 6 weeks and percentage wise, we've lost the same. But she doesn's see it that way. Frankly I'm a little tired of her pessimistic attitude. He did what was right for him (he had MULTIPLE medical problems and was told he wouldn't make it 2 more years (32) if he didn't lose weight ASAP) and I did what was right for me. She doesn't get that.

No one else knows. Friends, other family members, neighbors, etc. all think I had a hiatal hernia removed - which I did so it's not a lie ;)

hmmmm this gives me an idea for an alternate income stream.... how much is your secret worth bwahahahaha :lol:

I'm just kidding :)

My name is Lori and I'm a secret bander (well kinda)

Well Hello Lori,

Good thing you really don't know who I am.

What? your kinda a sercret bander?

I'm looking for people like me that haven't told the world they've done this. I need a bander buddy.

So far so good as far as anyone knowing. I like it this way.

I'm getting ready to head down to TJ for my first fill. I went to a doctor here locally and he needs a few weeks to review and decide if he wants to see me. While I'm waiting for his reply I'm ready for the fill so down to TJ I go.

Where did you do your band? How are you doing?

If your kinda secret, who have you told? Have you heard of any others? If so where are they hiding? Lets get a chat going.

Thanks for writing, lets keep in touch.

Didit4me

my ex husband is a large part of my life (as we have children together and remain close friends)--and i have yet to tell him. he kept the kids while i was in TJ thinking i was at a nursing conference in california. i had my surgery 6 months ago and had planned on telling him by now, but still haven't for fear that the happiness he feels for me now that i have lost some weight through "eating less and exercising" will turn to negative thoughts of me. he is athletic and healthy and has told me before that anyone who has a gastric procedure is plain lazy and selfish. he told me before that he lost respect for a mutual friend because "how dare she spend all that money on weight loss surgery when it could go toward her child's education". blah! what about her health! anyway, haven't told co-workers either...haven't told my children because their dad doesn't know. i shouldn't care what other people think i guess. but i will admit i do want people to be happy for me for losing weight. you know?

thanks for starting this thread...and letting those of us keeping it a secret, like you, band together...no pun intended. haha

Just a couple of thoughts for anyone keeping banding a secret.

First of all my personal opinion that being banded is a private matter if that is what the person wants. It isn't the business of anyone unless you want it to be their business. Always remember that once you tell someone you can never take it back, but if you don't tell anyone you can always tell them later. Think twice before saying anything. Make sure you won't regret it later.

If scars were to be an issue for any reason (bathing suits, changing clothes in front of anyone, etc.) the scars are the SAME exact scars as that of a lap hiatal hernia repair. If the need ever arises you can claim that you had a hernia repair. Nobody bats an eye at that medical procedure. It's okay for us to have a hernia repair, it can be a horror to do something such as banding that will save our lives. LOL

My other thought is this, a friend was banded in Feb. Her coworkers figured it out because of the changes she made, dietary, soda consumption, etc. She denied it and began making changes in what they saw. She keeps a can of Diet Coke on her desk, nobody realizes there is water in there instead of soda. She orders lunch like she always did and when she is at her desk she puts the majority of it in a Tupperware container and takes it home for dinner. They have no idea she isn't eating a larger quantity of food than 1/2 cup.

She does things like this because it was the drastic change in her eating/drinking behavior that led her coworkers to figure out what she had done. Now they are back to believing she had a hernia repair. There are so many advertisements for banding that people are learning about it and they can spot it in others that have been banded so just keep those ideas in mind. It's working for my friend.

I just had mine done here in Nevada, the nurses and surgeon were great and everything only cost around 8k (in reno).

Fortunately I have insurance and my copay was only 250 bucks. I did have to pay additional 125 for the dietician and 300 for the psych (I found out from a friend later that he got both of those done for 1/2 the price, I shoulda talked to him first) so my total out of pocket so far is just under 1k.

I have told a few of my closest friends and my immediate family (kinda hard to keep it secret from people when your sister in law works in the recovery ward at that hospital :blink: ) but I am keeping it a secret from some of my long time friends that live back east. I want to surprise them when I come home for Christmas next year. I am not hiding it from shame, just to see the look on their faces.

I think I screwed up today, on the way home I ate a small (half of a MacDonalds french fry sized) piece of fish and now I feel chest pain and no desire to eat, but I can drink ok. I will stick with broth for the next few days I think.

Thank god for my wife, without her support this would be a near impossible task, I hope you have good luck with your surgery and hopefully you can find a buddy that has had the procedure to share info with and support. Several of my co-workers have had this done which is what made me decide to do it, so I have a large built in support group.

Sorry if this post is rambling, I just had a shot of roxicet for pain as where I have my valve is very swollen and sore.

I will keep you guys posted as things go on.

Starting weight 324.5

two week liquid diet weight day of surgery: 309.5

day after surgery 312.5 (still can't figure this out, maybe due to lack of BM for 3 days)

I started out being secretive, then I just HAD to tell my mother-in-law, because I was SOOOO excited. BIG mistake. She got blazing mad at me, for going and having surgery, and not telling her. Oh well. I told my parents, and my hubby accompanied me, so it's not that big a secret anymore. On the other hand, we recently moved to another state, so nobody KNOWS back home, and I intend to keep it that way. If they ask how I lost so much weight, I'll just tell the truth. "I'm not eating as much!"

Donna

Let's see. I have told 2 people, my hubby who is accompanying me and an older friend (who was to accompany me if dh couldn't). That's all I am planning on. It will be difficult not to tell my kids. I may not be able to get around that.

hmmmm this gives me an idea for an alternate income stream.... how much is your secret worth bwahahahaha :lol:

I'm just kidding :)

My name is Lori and I'm a secret bander (well kinda)

HI, LORI ! sounds like an AA meeting!

You can try and blackmail me, but no one would pay for any info about me!

I don't know whether to be sad or happy about that! ha ha

BTW - the great tomato allergy lasted forever -- had another round of steroids

(altho the Doc said, "I cant give you any more - it might make you psychotic" -

wooo! there's a fun time!) -- but it seems to have left me now -- I think my body

just got in reaction mode and got stuck.

Anyway, thanks for being there for my momentary freak out. I had my fill -

boy am I restricted now! I love it!!! While I have you - is the lovely man who did

my fill Dr. Romero or Dr. La Costa ?? He was there all day the day of my surgery and

all night, too -- very lovely, sweet, gentle, adorable. I had asked at the desk, after my

fill and she said his name was La Costa, but everyone on the boards says Dr Romero

does the fills. This young man is in medical school - but I dont know what level.

Thanks! I hope you are well --

Lisa

:P You guys are too funny

of course all my patients know, and most of my family knows but most of my friends & acquiantences - NOPE they don't - unless I think the band would benefit them and then of course, I tell them.

I didn't tell anybody before I went because I didn't want to hear the "Mexico.. are you crazy?!!?!?" I had done my research and knew Dr O was the best surgeon for the job, anywhere in the world!!! Then, because I was so impressed, I started working for him.

So... semi-secret bandsters UNITE :ph34r: lol

HI, LORI ! sounds like an AA meeting!

You can try and blackmail me, but no one would pay for any info about me!

I don't know whether to be sad or happy about that! ha ha

BTW - the great tomato allergy lasted forever -- had another round of steroids

(altho the Doc said, "I cant give you any more - it might make you psychotic" -

wooo! there's a fun time!) -- but it seems to have left me now -- I think my body

just got in reaction mode and got stuck.

Anyway, thanks for being there for my momentary freak out. I had my fill -

boy am I restricted now! I love it!!! While I have you - is the lovely man who did

my fill Dr. Romero or Dr. La Costa ?? He was there all day the day of my surgery and

all night, too -- very lovely, sweet, gentle, adorable. I had asked at the desk, after my

fill and she said his name was La Costa, but everyone on the boards says Dr Romero

does the fills. This young man is in medical school - but I dont know what level.

Thanks! I hope you are well --

Lisa

Dr. Romero does the fills :)

I'm also a secret lap bander!

The only people who know are my husband, parents and sister.

I want people to be happy that I'm losing weight without them feeling like I took the easy way out. (although being 1 week post OP I'm wondering if this is going to be easy at all)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

Only my husband knows ... I was banded April 3. I haven't told my mother or my three sons or any of my friends. I've been very careful when eating around family without any issues at all. They know I'm trying to lose weight, but assume I'm following Weight Watchers. When I've been out of town I've had to tell little white lies (gone to a class -- gone to a woman's retreat), which I hate to do. I don't have plans on telling anyone until I've been successful and maintained my weight for sometime.

Twigs