Journal of an OCC bandster

Hey NoWorry, you could try pedialyte for those salt cravings. I was very dehydrated for a couple weeks after surgery and nothing quenched as well as pedialyte.

Just a thought.

JC

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

NoWorry - as long as you're not sensitive to salt (high BP - thankfully, I'm not), I've found that Campbell's French Onion soup with the onions strained out is a nice change from beef broth - kinda like the beef but with a bit of a "kick".

I found Icee Freeze pops where I live and they are GREAT. I'm not diabetic and was actually having trouble getting calories in the first week or so and then again when I was overfilled. They are nice and "slushy" right out of the package. Unfortunately my local store stopped carrying them before I could absurdly stock up :(

Once you're into the thicker stage, I've found a good way to get protein is to take some protein powder and mix it with a Jello FF pudding cup (if you're diabetic, of course get the SF version).

Thank you for sharing your story. I had a great experience at OCC and although it could have been 'tweaked' a little it was still miles better than what I would have recieved in a regular hospital where I live. I hope you look back at your experience as a wonderful opportunity and have huge success with your band. Again, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your story, it was like I was there all over again! Any ideas where you are going for your fills?

A bit of stress

Immediately following surgery, my port site incision was puckered and leaking every so slightly. My nurse looked at it, dabbed away the leakage and assured me that all was well. A doctor examined the incision as well, and felt there was no cause for alarm. He did add, though, that if the port had not been properly seated, they could fix it later with a small follow up surgery under local anaesthetic. At the time, it didn't occur to me that I would have to travel back to TJ for this. Duh.

A few days ago, I started noticing a very prominent bulge at the port site. The area is distended by almost a centimeter and I can very clearly feel a hard knot bulging out - my logic says it has to be the port. But since I have no pain or discomfort, I decide to wait. Unfortunately, there's no mention of this symptom in Dr. Ortiz's book under the section "Troubleshooting the Band," so I can't find a quick solution there.

Then, on Friday (Day 10), a friend makes a comment - he can see the bulge under my fairly loose-fitting t-shirt. It looks like the thermometer that pops up on a Butterball turkey.

Now I feel there's no alternative; I call Dr. Ortiz's office and leave a message with the receptionist. I sit by the phone for the remainder of the day. No one calls me back.

In the meantime, I post a query on Ortiz's forum and two fellow bandsters post reassuring responses. It's like a human Valium. I think I know that there is no cause for alarm. But I also don't know what the solution is.

Day 11, I call again. It's Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend and I really don't want to have to wait until Tuesday to get a response. Otherwise, it's going to be a very stressful weekend. Luckily, I am right away put through to a doctor whose name I don't catch. He assures me that if there is no pain and no redness, I should not be alarmed. What should I expect to happen now? I ask him. He suggests I talk to Dr. Martinez and gives me his cell number.

It takes Dr. Martinez only a few hours to return my call. Saturdays, he explains, are busy because of fills and because of many others like me who have questions. As he was before the surgery, he is again hugely informative and incredibly reassuring.

The lumpy knot is inflamed tissue, not the port, he informs me. He asks me to palpate an inch below the incision and, sure enough, I can feel the port there, tucked safely below my skin in its proper place. The bulging knot is inflamed tissue caused by the incision, by the sutures placed around the port and those placed under the skin wall. The inflammation will recede as my body heals. It varies between individuals. In very rare cases it can take up to a year to heal completely, but in most cases it's gone in a few weeks. He expects that there will be no sign of it by the time for my first fill. Whew!

Since I have him on the phone, I ask if there is any benefit to using Neosporin's "Scar Solution" pads or any topical ointments to assist with the healing. There's no long term evidence of benefit in reducing scarring, he tells me, but they can speed recovery. The pads are better than the ointments, since the latter can just rub off against my clothes. The fact is that I'm already wearing the Scar Solution pads, and now I have the validation necessary to keep wearing them.

I am totally reassured and can now dismiss this worry from my mind. Poof! The stress is all gone.

My friend Sanjay!!!!!

I love that you even posted this! I too, have the butterball pucker.............. I thought also, it was the port. Thank God you are so all over it mister! I, unlike you~ didn't call....... As that was my only issue, and that my scars are healing up so wonderfully, I stuck my head in the sand and hoped for the best. Stupid me. Now I am applauding you and your wonderful posts on here! =D>

You also handled the person who came on here attacking your journal of surgery process wonderfully. You are smart, AND WELL MANNERED? Geez........... What a package. :D

Hope that the remainder of the holiday is a good one for you! I promise I am getting those photos processed SOON! That will be a hoot! :P

ttys,

Cheryl

NoWorry - as long as you're not sensitive to salt (high BP - thankfully, I'm not), I've found that Campbell's French Onion soup with the onions strained out is a nice change from beef broth - kinda like the beef but with a bit of a "kick".

What an excellent idea. Sounds really yummy, too! I'll give it a try.

I found Icee Freeze pops where I live and they are GREAT. I'm not diabetic and was actually having trouble getting calories in the first week or so and then again when I was overfilled. They are nice and "slushy" right out of the package. Unfortunately my local store stopped carrying them before I could absurdly stock up :(

I found "Luigi's Italian Ice" at my local WalMart. Plus another brand of Gelato. Both came in SF versions as well. The Luigi's Lemon Ice is absolutely terrific. Strawberry not so much. I pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to get them really slushy!

My friend Sanjay!!!!!

There you are, Cheryl! Just last night I was wondering what happened to you. So great to hear from you again. I didn't get the chance to see you before you left, but Francisco told me that he drove you to the airport at 6 a.m. on Friday. I had a much more civilized pick up time of 10 a.m.

How was the remainder of your stay. Were your complications all sorted out?

Hope that the remainder of the holiday is a good one for you!

Some friends had a pool party yesterday - swimming, beer, ribs. All the things I'm not allowed to do. I bowed out rather than spend the day watching them do stuff I'm not allowed to do. I felt cheated briefly, but then reminded myself of all the reasons for doing this. Compared to that, what's one pool party?

I promise I am getting those photos processed SOON! That will be a hoot! :P

Can't wait to see them! :lol:

Hugs,

Sanjay

Any ideas where you are going for your fills?

I will almost definitely go back to OCC for my fills. Dr. Martinez recommended doing the fills over a span of a day or two. I.e. have the fill, go out and have a meal. Have the fill tweaked, if necessary. Have another meal or two. Another tweak, if necessary. It sounded like a really terrific way of doing it.

But I'm going to drive down there. I'm in Vegas, so it's a 5 hour drive each way. I'll get Mexico auto insurance at AAA in San Diego and take my car. That way I can control my own destiny and do some exploring, as well.

I found "Luigi's Italian Ice" at my local WalMart. Plus another brand of Gelato. Both came in SF versions as well. The Luigi's Lemon Ice is absolutely terrific. Strawberry not so much. I pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to get them really slushy!

And I shall try those - thanks!

I'm not attacking you, but I do have some observations. OK, you had to wait at the airport... I waited a bit too. I wasn't freaked out, or upset, stuff happens. Did you see the traffic there? The driver told us he makes as many as 8 trips a day to the airport, so I guess he is going to be late on occassion. Yes, one of us had to step outside the van and hit the "go" button. No big deal.

Dr. Miranda-

You were offended because her information was "too simple?" How "could" you make the instructions any more complex? It's not rocket science. Eat from the 4 food groups, and eat the protein first. There's not a whole lot to explain there. So what if you use some cheesy visual aids? Take into consideration they also have much YOUNGER patients as well as older. She asked if I had any questions, and was happy to answer any. She also answered my e-mail questions in a timely manner. I thought she was very professional.

The Clinic-

You checked out another hospital while there to see if it was as nice as the OCC. You had already CHOSEN the OCC, and paid for the surgery. Why go looking elsewhere at this point? I thought the OCC was very nice, and was better than MOST hospitals here in the US. It was very clean, and felt very safe. The other Hotels in the area could be 5-star resorts, and (in my opinion) wouldn't be as nice as the OCC, simply because they do not have the "best" surgeon-Dr. Ortiz. I don't think many Dr's can say they have done more than 4,500 lap band surgeries. The equipment was "state of the art." I thought my room there was very nice. Also, you mentioned that they had given you some sore throat strips, because the intubation sometimes makes your throat sore. I find that strange, since they don't intubate you there at the OCC. They use an entirely new procedure where they place an inflatable neck piece around your neck. It holds your head in such a way that your airways are completely clear, no need for intubation. But who knows, maybe it didn't work for you, and they had to intubate you. I'm not calling you a liar.

Mrs. Ortiz-

Okay, first of all you said, that you yourself was not a very personable person. I had no trouble talking to Mrs. Ortiz at all. She was very friendy and talkative. She is also a VERY busy woman. She is in constant contact with the OCC to make sure she has everyone delivered to the appropriate locations. All 5 of us thought she was very nice, and actually fun to be around. She joked around with us, and we all had a great time with her. What a bummer you had to get up so early! We all had to get up early too. They have surgeries to do on at least 5 patients a DAY. The whole morning is spent prepping you for surgery, and allowing you to meet the staff. Besides, WHO can sleep the night before a SURGERY? I was excited, and was THRILLED to be at The OCC, so I could talk to my "band sisters" and we could see who was going 1st, 2nd, etc. We had a blast! But then, maybe it wasn't that enjoyable for you because you said you are not a very personable person.

The Hotel-

OK, you bought a "package" for having lap band surgery. Now, I don't know what kind of paperwork you received, but mine didn't say.... Lap Band- $5,500

Anesthesia -$800

Hotel Room - $74.00

Doctor Ortiz's expertise from doing over 4500 surgeries- PRICELESS (which it SHOULD have said)

I didn't get a detailed description of where the money was going. I paid it in good faith that I was going to come home banded, and begin loosing weight. It was going to cost me $8,500. PERIOD That is STILL less than HALF of what I would have paid in the US.

So, they asked you to leave your room for ONE night, while you were in The OCC? They didn't kick you out on the street. One of my friends had to leave her room, for the one night because she was there alone. It was for the protection of her belongings, (since nobody was in the room) and so the hotel could use that room if necessary. (part of their "deal" with OCC, so they can get a discounted rate and charge you less) They still have your reservations made for the FOLLOWING night, so it's not like they are just taking your room away.

I also thought Claudia was very helpful! So we do agree on that. I thought the entire staff was pleasant, and very helpful. Once again, I'm not attacking you. I'm just pointing out observations I made about your trip. I forgot some of the other complaints you had, I'll have to read it again. I will have to say, that I feel that all in all, these were VERY minor for what you will be receiving in the end. A new you, a new lease on life, and hopefully a happier life in general.

Good Luck to you!

Donna

I'm not attacking you, but I do have some observations. =

I am genuinely glad you had such a pleasant experience. It's a shame that your mind is so small that it does not have room for more than one opinion. And clearly the only opinion that is allowed to exist must be yours.

Is it possible for two people to eat the same meal and for one to say it's delicious and the other to say it's too spicy? Is one of them wrong? And if you were the one who found it too spicy, would it make any difference that the cook was really busy and didn't have time to measure the spices? Or that the other ingredients were really top notch so the spiciness should be overlooked?

This forum is titled "Newly Banded? Tell Your Experience." I told MINE. You could have simply told yours. But here you are - not simply telling your experience, but telling me that my experience is wrong, or there are so many excuses and explanations for it. (And using a psuedonym to make the attack.)

Normally I would suggest that we simply agree to disagree and go on with our lives, but it appears imperative to you that only you be right.

I stated my opinions and stand by them. I respect your opinion and the fact that they are different then mine. I regret that I have neither the time, the patience nor the desire to debate them with you any further. Shoo!

Ok...I need to put my two cents into this. My experience was great! Yes...it was different, but that was expected because of having surgery in another country and the way things are done here, but it was orderly and there was good communication. I totally knew what to expect mostly every step of the way. ;)

What Donna said was to the point and trying to drown out the negativity from earlier postings. Boohoo! Life is not perfect, but going to another country and being prevented from having to deal with US insurance hoops was a pleasant experience all the way around.

NoWorry, you seem highly intelligent in your postings and replies, but you tend to be to criticizing and picky about anything and everything. Yes, you did say good things, but you picked apart every little experience to pieces and that made it sound bad.

Myself always looks at the good in every situation unless it gets really bad and there is no turning back. Your experiences that you weren't happy with were probably because you dwelled on it made it bad. Seriously, relax and enjoy life. It's the only one you have.

Good luck with your band experience. If I hit a wrong note over any of this, I am sure you or someone else will let me know. ;)

Peace,

Judy

Ok...I need to put my two cents into this.

If you really didn't find anything good in my posts, you really weren't paying a lot of attention.

Yes, I know that we fat people are really very good at excusing a lot and looking the other way. It comes from a long history of taking a lot of abuse from a lot of people. I'm choosing not to live my life that way. It would appear that I simply expect better treatment than you do. Oh, sorry. I know. That's not allowed.

Anyway, I believe that enough people have appreciated my information to make my effort worthwhile. And while you correctly continue to exercise your right to post your experience, please stop trying to take away my right to post mine.

There are literally hundreds of voices raving about their experience on this forum. So why all this energy to silence one lone mildly dissenting opinion?

Was your trip to Tijuana absolutely perfect? Or could something, however small, have been improved? Honest answer.

Pretend that Dr. Ortiz is sitting at the other end with a pad and pencil just looking for ways to improve his organization's service. And whatever you tell him will immediately be acted upon and improved. What would you tell him?

Pretend that the most important person in your life is going to Tijuana for this procedure and you can't go with them. They ask you: is there anything I should watch out for? What would you tell them?

I found something that's really good, but that could use a little improvement. As a fellow bandster with a similar positive overall experience, why don't you help me try and improve it?

If you really didn't find anything good in my posts, you really weren't paying a lot of attention.

Yes, I know that we fat people are really very good at excusing a lot and looking the other way. It comes from a long history of taking a lot of abuse from a lot of people. I'm choosing not to live my life that way. It would appear that I simply expect better treatment than you do. Oh, sorry. I know. That's not allowed.

Anyway, I believe that enough people have appreciated my information to make my effort worthwhile. And while you correctly continue to exercise your right to post your experience, please stop trying to take away my right to post mine.

There are literally hundreds of voices raving about their experience on this forum. So why all this energy to silence one lone mildly dissenting opinion?

Was your trip to Tijuana absolutely perfect? Or could something, however small, have been improved? Honest answer.

Pretend that Dr. Ortiz is sitting at the other end with a pad and pencil just looking for ways to improve his organization's service. And whatever you tell him will immediately be acted upon and improved. What would you tell him?

Pretend that the most important person in your life is going to Tijuana for this procedure and you can't go with them. They ask you: is there anything I should watch out for? What would you tell them?

I found something that's really good, but that could use a little improvement. As a fellow bandster with a similar positive overall experience, why don't you help me try and improve it?

NoWorry...

Most WLS patients tend to swear by their surgeon as they swear by their religion. Not sure of the pychology behind that behavior but I'm sure there is one. Dare to insult a surgeon (even though you weren't) and you'll have hell to pay.

You explained your experience. I'm not sure I agree with you regarding the hotel issue, there really are two sides to that one. But the rest of the experience I can see your point of view.

The point is, it was YOUR point of view and you have EVERY right to your point of view. It is not right and it is not wrong, it is yours. I appreciate the honesty. Don't let those who swear by their surgeon as they swear by their religion stop you from your honesty. It's okay for adults to agree to disagree, it is not okay to tell you that your opinions are wrong or that they are not issues that matter. They mattered to YOU and that is what counts.

I am banded but looking at further surgery and I read your experiences with great interest. I think Dr. Ortiz is a great and skilled surgeon but you answered some questions I had about him and the process of surgery.

I have some more thinking to do.

Thanks for your time and efforts here.

I am genuinely glad you had such a pleasant experience. It's a shame that your mind is so small that it does not have room for more than one opinion. And clearly the only opinion that is allowed to exist must be yours.

Is it possible for two people to eat the same meal and for one to say it's delicious and the other to say it's too spicy? Is one of them wrong? And if you were the one who found it too spicy, would it make any difference that the cook was really busy and didn't have time to measure the spices? Or that the other ingredients were really top notch so the spiciness should be overlooked?

This forum is titled "Newly Banded? Tell Your Experience." I told MINE. You could have simply told yours. But here you are - not simply telling your experience, but telling me that my experience is wrong, or there are so many excuses and explanations for it. (And using a psuedonym to make the attack.)

Normally I would suggest that we simply agree to disagree and go on with our lives, but it appears imperative to you that only you be right.

I stated my opinions and stand by them. I respect your opinion and the fact that they are different then mine. I regret that I have neither the time, the patience nor the desire to debate them with you any further. Shoo!

I was NOT saying that you were WRONG or that I was RIGHT. I was simply supplying information for people to see some of the reasons things may have been so horrible for you. It IS OK for me to tell what it was like when I was there ISN'T IT?

I have neither the time nor the patience to debate with you either, however I didn't "SHOO" you off. That was real mature. ALmost as mature as the Private Message you sent calling me names! Thanks a lot. Nonetheless, I wish you the best in your weight loss efforts! Despite our experiences we are all here for the same reason.

Donna

one of the reasons i chose OCC was because they dont do the "intubation". Noworry, did you ever find out why you had to have this done for your surgery? i would be curious to know the cause...

my experience was also wonderful at OCC and the hotel too, but i also delivered my only child in a German hospital where no one but my doctor spoke English and he wasn't even on- call when i delivered my son. So maybe i have different expectations than others.

Anyway, i am glad i chose OCC - i would do the surgery every day for the rest of my life if needed - thats how happy i am about it and my choice with OCC.

Kim

NoWorry, how are you today? Have you solved the salt issue? How is that port scar site doing?

Now that I'm on full liquids, the salt issue seems to be resolved. I am having Campbell's Cream soups and they seem to be providing enough salt.

The scar site swelling is down substantially. At Dr. Martinez's suggestion, I put a heating pad on it a couple times a day. I'm not sure that helps, but it feels nice. The remarkable thing is that the scar is doing amazingly well. From what I understand, the main port incision is actually sutured from inside the abdomen. I'm only in week three and the scar is already very faint. I'm rather impressed by this.

Most WLS patients tend to swear by their surgeon as they swear by their religion. Not sure of the pychology behind that behavior but I'm sure there is one. Dare to insult a surgeon (even though you weren't) and you'll have hell to pay.

Thanks, BSN. I'm beginning to realize that you're absolutely right. Have you noticed, though, that there are perhaps 10 members who are cumulatively responsible for something like 1,500 posts! It seems to be their job(?), duty(?), mission(?) to smack down anyone who has even a slightly conflicting view. The unfortunate result is that this forum is more of a fan site than a source for valuable and useful information to bandsters. Although, there are a few exceptions whom I appreciate mightily.

Thanks for your time and efforts here.

You're very welcome. And thank you for saying so. It's not a popular thing to do. :)

Thanks, BSN. I'm beginning to realize that you're absolutely right. Have you noticed, though, that there are perhaps 10 members who are cumulatively responsible for something like 1,500 posts! It seems to be their job(?), duty(?), mission(?) to smack down anyone who has even a slightly conflicting view. The unfortunate result is that this forum is more of a fan site than a source for valuable and useful information to bandsters. Although, there are a few exceptions whom I appreciate mightily.

I do understand how you feel but I've spent enough time on other message boards to realize that it isn't intentional. Nobody is trying to shoot you down. I think it is a combination of a couple of issues.

#1) I think most of us have spent so many years unable to lose weight and feeling absolutely horrible and worthless over the issue and when we suddenly find a doc that can actually help us, it's an amazing feeling. You almost feel indebted to your bariatric doc.

#2) Most of us did a great deal of research before being banded and we heard about the extra horrible docs out there. Docs who have patients that come home time and time again with serious and life threatening infections. Patients that come home, go for their first fill and discover they paid $8K and they have NO band, just scars. We have all heard these stories and those of us who really worked hard and did the research we KNOW the true scoop on these doctors. When someone comes to this message board or any message board and they announce they are going to Dr. <name the worst banding doc you can think of> we all kind of panic. We fear for our fellow fatty and their health. We know the doc they are considering is no good and we want them to get surgery, be thin, get healthy, and STAY healthy. We know if they go to Dr. "Bad" they might even die from the infection they are likely to come home with.

It's almost a panic mode to change their mind. There is no financial value to us regardless of where they go but the mentality that we are all in this together makes a huge impact on us and the mere thought of them going to Dr. "Bad" is spooky.

Combine the two above concepts and you get people that are very "pro" Dr. "Good". Sometimes it comes off differently than intended and I really believe that is what has happened here. I don't think anyone was trying to shoot you down but I think in an effort to show appreciation for what Dr. Ortiz did for them they might be just a tad over zealous. ;)

BSN...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Of all the doctors I researched, and believe me I DID A LOT, it just seemed that Dr. Ortiz came out on top EVERY time. I felt that I had such a good experience, I just want to help others feel that same amazing feeling, of knowing they chose one of the best surgeons possible. Could there be room for improvement in the process? Probably, but that can be said of all of the clinics/hospitals out there.

I was given all kinds of information before surgery, through e-mails, and paperwork, that described every step of the process. I felt comfortable and at ease the entire time. Other people may go there, and maybe NOT feel so at ease, but I think that is probably a rare occurrence. I had never even been on a PLANE, let alone been out of the country before I went there, so maybe my experience was a little more thrilling than most. All in all, I feel I got the best care I could have received, and when I got to see my band, and port, and how everything was working last Friday, I felt even better!

Donna

Combine the two above concepts and you get people that are very "pro" Dr. "Good". Sometimes it comes off differently than intended and I really believe that is what has happened here. I don't think anyone was trying to shoot you down but I think in an effort to show appreciation for what Dr. Ortiz did for them they might be just a tad over zealous. ;)

Considering the beating you've taken on this board - and all the judgment you've received instead of (and sometimes disguised as) support - I am truly impressed that you are able to keep such an open heart and open mind. You are my hero for today!

Since it's my job to be accurate and precise, I can't afford to wear blinders. Much to my surprise, this forum is turning out to be a significant part of the story. It's already been upgraded from a Life section piece to the Sunday supplement.

I've done about three months of concentrated research. And while there are plenty of rumors of these Dr. Bads out there. In truth, there are remarkably few. In fact, I was able to find only 2 documented cases. The very vast number of bariatric surgeons in Mexico fall in the 'excellent' category. Dr. Ortiz is definitely one of them, but not even close to the only one. And is he the one and only absolute best? Even he doesn't dream of saying so in his book.

It's almost a panic mode to change their mind. There is no financial value to us regardless of where they go but the mentality that we are all in this together makes a huge impact on us and the mere thought of them going to Dr. "Bad" is spooky.

Actually, I think it is exactly a panic. There seem to be a lot of people here afraid to consider the possibility that their choice was not the best one. It might mean that they made the second-best (or possibly even lower) choice. And that apparently is not acceptable. Consider this: I was challenged just for checking out Hospital Angeles while I was in Tijuana. How could I possibly do that when I had already committed to Dr. Ortiz? I've had girlfriends who were less possessive than that. :lol:

I do understand how you feel but I've spent enough time on other message boards to realize that it isn't intentional. Nobody is trying to shoot you down.

Oh, I do understand that. But if you think about it, that's really a lot more scary. One user actually created a second user name to take two whacks at my comments!

I just read in Donna34's post that her trip for this surgery was her first time on a plane. I must confess, I hadn't even considered that. For how many people here does the same thing apply? And how many of these events are firsts? First time picked up by a driver? First time through International immigration? First time in a 5-star hotel? First time in a private clinic? First time having elective surgery? And for each of these firsts, what is the basis of comparison? When you have a sample of one, it's obviously the best. Clearly I have to take that into account to some degree. But I write for a highly sophisticated readership, and this story is geared primarily to women who tend to be far more critical in their view of such things. I had a tour of a Beverly Hills clinic last month. Let's just say it was eye-opening.

BSN...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Of all the doctors I researched, and believe me I DID A LOT, it just seemed that Dr. Ortiz came out on top EVERY time. I felt that I had such a good experience, I just want to help others feel that same amazing feeling, of knowing they chose one of the best surgeons possible. Could there be room for improvement in the process? Probably, but that can be said of all of the clinics/hospitals out there.

I was given all kinds of information before surgery, through e-mails, and paperwork, that described every step of the process. I felt comfortable and at ease the entire time. Other people may go there, and maybe NOT feel so at ease, but I think that is probably a rare occurrence. I had never even been on a PLANE, let alone been out of the country before I went there, so maybe my experience was a little more thrilling than most. All in all, I feel I got the best care I could have received, and when I got to see my band, and port, and how everything was working last Friday, I felt even better!

Donna

Yep, that's how I feel about my own band doc.

I had it narrowed down to my doc and Ortiz. I picked my doc because he practices out of an actual hospital vs. a clinic and that made a big difference to me. I realize the culture in Mexico is different and clinics are acceptable but they aren't to me. Otherwise I probably would have gone to Ortiz.

However, I've seen people that went to the WORST surgeon in Mexico. Most of his patients come home with life threatening infections but the doc is cheap so people flock to him. They worship him like a God ... until their infection kicks in.

It's weird about we fatties and our surgeons, we swear by them like we do a religion. It doesn't appear to matter if the patient is male or female, young or old, low BMI or high. People are pretty predictable about how they will discuss their surgeon.

Considering the beating you've taken on this board - and all the judgment you've received instead of (and sometimes disguised as) support - I am truly impressed that you are able to keep such an open heart and open mind. You are my hero for today!

Oh, there was only one person and I counted to a million before responding to her. :P

I've done about three months of concentrated research. And while there are plenty of rumors of these Dr. Bads out there. In truth, there are remarkably few. In fact, I was able to find only 2 documented cases.
Oh, now here we will have to disagree. There are a lot of bad docs in Mexico just like there are a lot of bad docs in the US. I can sit here and give you at least 100 examples of US docs that are bad, screwed up, made big mistakes, covered it up, and not a darn thing is documented.

Many of the anti-Mexico people have the attitude that if a surgeon is from the US, they walk on water. They believe they are regulated and monitored. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The same concept holds true for Mexican docs. Just because it isn't documented doesn't mean it didn't happen. There is one surgeon with a ton of infections, people come home with MRSA. Yet according to his supposed track record he's just trippy. The hell he is, he is a horrible surgeon.

You really can't depend on what is documented to determine if anyone is any good or not. That's like saying if a US doc doesn't have a paper trail following him he is an excellent surgeon. It's simply not true. Ask any OR nurse who she would go to for surgery and you'll get some great and interesting responses. But I promise you, the list of who she will go to will be mighty short.

Actually, I think it is exactly a panic. There seem to be a lot of people here afraid to consider the possibility that their choice was not the best one. It might mean that they made the second-best (or possibly even lower) choice. And that apparently is not acceptable.

No, no... we disagree again. I can't see anything but exactly the opposite. People worship their band surgeons. People rarely have anything that is clearly negative to say about them. That includes patients of bad docs too. The mere thought of anyone saying anything the least bit negative about their doc turns a switch on in their head and they go in over drive. I do the same thing with my doc. I've referred several people there in the last few months and will continue to do so. He's actually becoming more of a friend than my doc at this point and that is why I have half considered going to Ortiz for further surgery. I'm not sure, I'll probably stay with my current surgeon.

Consider this: I was challenged just for checking out Hospital Angeles while I was in Tijuana. How could I possibly do that when I had already committed to Dr. Ortiz?
Yes, I noticed that too. I understood what you were doing by just looking at the hospital, I think everyone did. However, it goes to prove my point further. People are a little uptight over the notion of anyone even considering another doc than theirs. If you'll notice the more time they have with a band the less "strong" they come on regarding people considering other doctors. While I'm still very pro "my doctor" I also realize personality plays a role in it too. Some patients require a different personality in their doc than perhaps I do. Location is another. That was another key factor for me, Tijuana scares me, quite frankly. My surgeon is in a different part of Mexico that didn't frighten me. Now, it doesn't matter if my fears of TJ were justified or not, they still exist. So Dr. Ortiz wouldn't have worked for me. There are enough good surgeons out there to stay plenty busy.

If you really want to do some checking on surgeons find one you do like, trust, and respect and ask who his friends are. LOL It will be all the *really* good surgeons. Ask them about a specific surgeon you suspect is a bad doc and their eyes will glaze over and they'll change the topic. HA! It's true! Try it. BTW, my doc and your doc are very good friends. LOL

One user actually created a second user name to take two whacks at my comments!

I don't follow these boards enough to catch on to those issues. But again, when people have a bit of "band" time under their belts they tend to be quite a bit less zealous.

I just read in Donna34's post that her trip for this surgery was her first time on a plane. I must confess, I hadn't even considered that. For how many people here does the same thing apply? And how many of these events are firsts? First time picked up by a driver? First time through International immigration? First time in a 5-star hotel? First time in a private clinic? First time having elective surgery? And for each of these firsts, what is the basis of comparison? When you have a sample of one, it's obviously the best. Clearly I have to take that into account to some degree. But I write for a highly sophisticated readership, and this story is geared primarily to women who tend to be far more critical in their view of such things. I had a tour of a Beverly Hills clinic last month. Let's just say it was eye-opening.

Well, how about this one. I went with a friend from Washington last week to get her band. She had not only never been out of the US, she had never been out of Washington! Same with another friend from Kansas the week prior. (I have every intention of getting every fat friend banded!) Can you imagine having never left your home state and suddenly going to Mexico for surgery after watching the bogus, one sided, yellow journalism on 20/20? How frightening is that?

I have learned that you really don't have the slightest idea what someone's personality is all about until you get to know them the day after surgery. The day before surgery they are often times unreasonable, they tell jokes in poor taste, they blurt out horrible things, they are overly emotional, they are a real big pain in the butt. I've been in nursing for many years and this holds true in Mexico as well as the US. Once surgery is over you suddenly find a much calmer and nicer person laying in that bed. I think there are times we need to keep that in mind as well.

This was the first time I had gotten voluntary surgery in a country outside the US, but I fly at least once a month (and at one point, several times a week), have been getting picked up by drivers since I was a kid (we traveled a lot then too), been through immigration and TBH, as much as I like the people at Lucerna, I wouldn't consider it higher than a 3 star hotel AT THE MOST, lol ;)

Honestly, I've had a lot of medical work done. I have migraines and have probably seen 20 different doctors. I've been in a few accidents and have been operated on in several different states. We moved a lot when I was a child, so even regular care was done by many different doctors - all supposedly the best since my father was an executive with a very large company. I've had some HORRIBLE doctors (like the one in Virginia who gave me Tylenol ONLY after major leg surgery) and I still think Dr. Ortiz and his organization is one of the best of the best :)