Journal of an OCC bandster

I don't diet with the band. I wanted the band to work for me, I didn't want to work for the band (food choices). Since I paid the $8500 I needed this to work. If I made better food choices (diet food), I would have lost a lot more weight. I refuse to diet because I can do that without the band and lose. (why would I have needed this in the first place is my way of thinking.) My understanding of the band was, eat less because you get full on 1/3 less. That was the concept and the dream of the band that I hung onto.

What an excellent point. I had never even considered that, but it makes perfect sense. Why would you buy a car if you had to run alongside it? The idea is that it should simply take you wherever you want to go. Worse yet would be the car that you have to push around! And that's a lot like the band. It not only doesn't carry it's own weight, but you have to work extra hard to make it work. But then, of course, you wouldn't buy a treadmill and not expect to actually use it. It really comes down to the bill of goods you've been sold. I expected to work with the band, but I didn't expect to have to do almost all the work as it's turning out to be.

You took the bait in my questions perfectly! :lol: If you agree that part of why you're sticking with it is that there's no reasonable way to back out, then clearly if backing out was an option you might have considered it. And if you would consider backing out, then you have to consider that the friend whom you recommend the procedure to might also wish to back out at a later date. So I'm not sure that you would be doing your friend any favors by recommending the procedure.

For me, it's strictly wait and see. There are a few close friends who have been using me as a guinea pig and I've told them that the jury is still out and they are patiently waiting. Eventually, the jury will come in and it will probably effect the decisions of many, many more people and I have to be impeccably convinced that I'm giving the best information possible. But if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to make a decision right now, I would tell them not to do it. Three months after my surgery my weight is exactly the same as when I started.

However, the jury is almost in on the question of the the sweet spot. And the verdict is that it's a myth. Definitions first: my understanding is that the sweet spot is a level of fill that keeps the patient at an optimized level of restriction for an extended period of time while the weight simply rolls off. My new understanding is that this is a contradiction in terms. The sweeter the spot, the faster the weight comes off, and the faster you leave the sweet spot. The sweet spot can really only exist if you don't lose any more weight (i.e. there are no more physiological changes to your body) and we know that no one wants that!

When I spoke with Romero on this visit and asked him why my first fill stopped restricting, he asked me if I had lost any weight. I had. He asked if I had lost any inches. I had. It's as simple as that. You lose weight, you lose inches, you lose restriction. As I was leaving, the last thing he said to me was "See in you 6 weeks."

Put that on a banner on the OCC homepage: Lap-Band Surgery Requires A Fill EVERY SIX WEEKS After Surgery and see how many people sign up!

You may have heard the old story about the frog: Drop a frog in boiling water and it will immediately jump out. Turn up the heat gradually and the frog will sit there until it boils to death. Yes, we are the frogs. :)

So the myth of the sweet spot lives on. Because without it, many of us would have jumped out. Personally, I'm more practical. Yes, I might never have had the surgery if I knew I required upto 10 fills in the first year. But if I had still had the surgery, I would have been far better prepared at this stage for all the fills I'm going to need before I acheive my target weight loss. I am now planning on a fill every 6 weeks and I expect the ride to be a lot smoother from now on.

I admit I don't have time now to read every post BUT

No worry

Have you lost 96lbs in 3-4 months

If so, I'm seriously missing something.

The average loss is 1-2 lbs per week with hard work - anything extra is extraordinary. I think your fills are working.

I've had over 10 fills/2 unfills since Jan 06 (surgery Nov 05) and lost 10lbs.

I would be thanking everyone and everything if I had your weight loss. The band has kept my weight stable which never happened without it. Yes, I still want to lose weight but I don't obsess about it too much anymore.

You will have this band for life hopefully and it's a journey with many ups and downs. goodluck

Put that on a banner on the OCC homepage: Lap-Band Surgery Requires A Fill EVERY SIX WEEKS After Surgery and see how many people sign up!

I would have. I was at wit's end. I had tried EVERYTHING. This is the ONLY thing that's worked. Ever. I read the boards and books enough to realize that there was a "sweet spot" and not only might it take a few tries to reach, but once it was reached, it could change with my decreasing waistline. That's cool with me :) When I look back I know for a FACT I would not have lost the 30 pounds I've lost in March w/o the band. Period. More than likely I would have gained a few pounds. If dieting, exercise, pills, whatever had worked in the past, I wouldn't have spent 2 weeks total travel time and over $10K in medical and travel expenses.

And yes, I would recommend this to ANYONE who was/is in my situation :)

Have you lost 96lbs in 3-4 months

No, I haven't.

If you've stopped obsessing, it would appear to me that you have made a psychological shift. While you're clearly attributing that to the band, I'm not convinced that the two are connected.

I applaud you for being satisfied with a 10 lb loss. By my math that works out to a cost of $850+ per pound lost. I don't think you could sell this procedure successfully at that price. However, the important thing is that you're happy with your results.

Please give this question some thought: If you had been told before you had the surgery that you needed 1 fill for approximately every 12 pounds of weight that you needed to lose (and I'm now genuinely coming to believe that this is a fact, although the actual number could easily be anywhere from 10 to 15 lbs), would you still have had the surgery?

Thanks very much, Judy. I genuinely appreciate your good wishes. I think, though, that I did hit the sweet spot on my first fill. And then I lost some weight and it passed. I actually think I've hit my sweet spot again on this fill (although it might be a bit early to tell, since my fill was only 5 days ago), but I'm sure that this, too, will pass and I'll need another fill as soon as I lose another 10-15 lbs. :(

Yes, actually I would have had the surgery because even though I knew of the extra expense of getting fills to get restriction and continue to lose weight, I gave it alot of thought, thinking about my finances down the weight loss road and how often I would be able to get fills when needed. Well, I have only had one fill and I had to keep postponing it because of the $180 up front cost. That was a major chunk of money that I really could have used for other things and had to at one point, but then really got determined to get that fill, so I put all else aside and did it. It's been three and a half weeks now and I know I need another one, but not in any hurry for the same reason even though the fills are now $165. I want to go back to TJ badly, but financially that has to wait. Anyway, from the posts I have read from people that have gone to TJ for any fills, it really kinda bothers me because most I have read get to much a fill and have to go back or not enough. That would REALLY bug me! Considering all the extra expense to get there and so on, it wouldn't settle nice with me. I am still losing, but don't weigh myself very often either. I just go by how I feel and how loose my clothes are. ;) I hope at least some of all this rambling made any sort of sense to you. lol

I hope very soon you have great success without any more or very little fills and continue to live the healthy slimmer life we all want to be at. :)

Take care,

Judy

Yes, actually I would have had the surgery because even though I knew of the extra expense of getting fills to get restriction and continue to lose weight,

Thanks for your response, Judy.

I admire your ability to not weigh yourself and go by the fit of your clothes. I have read that this is a desirable way of approaching weight loss, but I have not been able to stay away from the scales.

While I think that fills at OCC are more reliable, accurate and efficient, I get the impression that you believe that they should also give better results. I don't believe that this naturally follows. Their primary concern is safety and this generally means passive fills. In fact, if I had not insisted on top ups on both my fill trips, I would not have had any restriction at all following both my fills. Their concern for safety, though, is comforting to me.

Interesting seeing someone ask and discuss the more difficult questions.

Some random ramblings:

I am of the opinion, as several others, that the band should being doing most of the work. Yes, I am required to make certain changes to accomodate the band, but if I was able to diet properly, I would not have a need for the band. This really bothered me when Dr. Acosta did my last fill.

Seeing my modest weight loss, he said, "Aren't you doing anything to lose more weight? (duh....I got banded to lose weight- you see the band on the flouro, right?) Do you eat lots of soup? (not lots, but I do like chicken noodle) Do you like rich creamy soup? (yes, as a matter of fact I have a cup of clam chowder about once a month or so) Are you eating lots of sweets and ice cream? (no, I am diabetic....is Spenda in my glass of iced tea a 'sweet'?) You can't just wait for the band to take your weight off. (hmm...should I try a cocaine or methamphetimine binge instead?)

Needless to say, I don't yet have a high opinion of Dr. Acosta. And I have many frustrations with the band. But, bottom line, I began at 383 lbs one year ago, and I now am down about 50 lbs. Without being banded, I would weigh between 380 and 400 right now. I was eating too much. I can still eat too much, but it is rare, difficult, and time consuming.

Is it worth the money? Well since I had a large amount of cash sitting around, thus far it has been worth it. I have more energy and I can be on my feet all day without hobbling around on sore feet. Would I have borrowed the money for the surgery? Probably not.

I know many bandsters get loans for the surgery. I would be much more disappointed had I borrowed the money. Since the $10000 was rather inconsequential to me, I think my view is different. I know banding is a much larger financial strain for many. I do not have that extra stress factor.

I knew before surgery that I would probably need 4 or 5 fills to get sustained restriction. I read enough experiences to have that expectation. I have made 3 fill trips, and need another. Another mini-vacation to San Diego is not such a bad thing.

This is a two year or longer journey for me. No hurry.

Some random ramblings:

I am of the opinion, as several others, that the band should being doing most of the work. Yes, I am required to make certain changes to accomodate the band, but if I was able to diet properly, I would not have a need for the band. This really bothered me when Dr. Acosta did my last fill.

Seeing my modest weight loss, he said, "Aren't you doing anything to lose more weight? (duh....I got banded to lose weight- you see the band on the flouro, right?) Do you eat lots of soup? (not lots, but I do like chicken noodle) Do you like rich creamy soup? (yes, as a matter of fact I have a cup of clam chowder about once a month or so) Are you eating lots of sweets and ice cream? (no, I am diabetic....is Spenda in my glass of iced tea a 'sweet'?) You can't just wait for the band to take your weight off. (hmm...should I try a cocaine or methamphetimine binge instead?)

Needless to say, I don't yet have a high opinion of Dr. Acosta. And I have many frustrations with the band. But, bottom line, I began at 383 lbs one year ago, and I now am down about 50 lbs. Without being banded, I would weigh between 380 and 400 right now. I was eating too much. I can still eat too much, but it is rare, difficult, and time consuming.

Is it worth the money? Well since I had a large amount of cash sitting around, thus far it has been worth it. I have more energy and I can be on my feet all day without hobbling around on sore feet. Would I have borrowed the money for the surgery? Probably not.

I know many bandsters get loans for the surgery. I would be much more disappointed had I borrowed the money. Since the $10000 was rather inconsequential to me, I think my view is different. I know banding is a much larger financial strain for many. I do not have that extra stress factor.

I knew before surgery that I would probably need 4 or 5 fills to get sustained restriction. I read enough experiences to have that expectation. I have made 3 fill trips, and need another. Another mini-vacation to San Diego is not such a bad thing.

Greg,

I'm with ya. I havent met Dr. Acosta. I wouldnt have liked his attitude either if I was the one there.

Ah..............hello.............if you experience good restriction with the band, and you dont consume huge calories in a day, he needs to help you get to that point without all the extra crap you dont need to hear because you have been probably beating yourself up about it to. I think your doing awesome!!!!!

Teri

Some random ramblings:

ALRIGHT GREG!!! YOUR ATTITUDE IS AWESOME!!! WE DIDN'T GET FAT OVER NIGHT AND THE WEIGHT DOESN'T COME OFF OVER NIGHT. SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

I'M CHEERING FOR YOU =D>

Actually, having dealt with both Romero and Acosta, I prefer Acosta. I find him honest, direct, communicative, enthusiastic, interactive and willing to accommodate individual needs. While Romero is extremely efficient, I find him methodical, close-lipped and mostly really just going through the motions. I vastly prefer the feedback I get from Acosta because it gives me something to work with, whereas Romero has been there, done that and figures the best bet is to not say too much. There is an argument to be made that Acosta could be more diplomatic, but diplomacy is just another word for spinning information and I prefer my information direct and un-spun.

Quite frankly, if I require to do something more to accomplish my weight loss, I want to hear it, as unpleasant as it might be to hear. Give me the facts and let me decide how to use them. In my opinion, honest and direct information is a very rare commodity at OCC. And I believe that many, if not most, patients prefer it that way. (Yeah, so I guess I just agreed that Acosta is going to have to shut up pretty soon. :( )

And please don't take this as being nitpicky, since that is not my objective, but your statement is not an opinion, it's a desire. We all desire the band to do all the work. In fact, if we could, I think we would desire a magic wand instead. But if that desire is not going to be met, and I think we all now know that it's not, then it's important to know what other action is necessary to fulfill our goal.

Without being banded, I would weigh between 380 and 400 right now. I was eating too much. I can still eat too much, but it is rare, difficult, and time consuming.

This assumes that you would not have opted for another, perhaps more efficient, weight loss option instead. I won't name them, because your comments have already started to draw the rah-rah sisters like sharks to chum and I can live without their single-minded derision of anything remotely perceived to be anti-band or anti-OCC.

Excellent distinction. Certainly the weight of the money invested has to play a very significant role in the Return On Investment expected.

In my case, I did not pay for my surgery myself. Yet, although I did not make a financial investment, I have made an enormous emotional investment and I expect a matching payback. Nothing less than reaching my target weight is even remotely an option. And I want to do it as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

I don't know. The world is a big place and there are many places to visit. Three trips to San Diego/TJ are more than enough for me.

Okay, for this one I'll risk incurring the wrath of the rah-rah sisters. There are literally thousands of studies that show that the longer an endeavor takes, the more the chances of success are reduced. Humans seem able to sustain their drive towards accomplishing goals for only limited periods of time. Yes, there are many exceptions, but at the end of the day, the vast majority simply allow most time-consuming goals to gradually slip away.

Most people will get their first fill promptly, dawdle a little over the second fill, lose their enthusiasm for the third fill and by the fourth of fifth fill simply lose interest. And the long term statistical results of lap-band surgery do bear this out. The patients who lose the most initiallly relative to their target weight show much better results in the long term than those who struggle to lose weight during the first months.

While it sounds good to say this is a long journey, the length of the journey does, in fact, have a substantial impact on the outcome. SHIELDS UP!

Actually, having dealt with both Romero and Acosta, I prefer Acosta. I find him honest, direct, communicative, enthusiastic, interactive and willing to accommodate individual needs. While Romero is extremely efficient, I find him methodical, close-lipped and mostly really just going through the motions. I vastly prefer the feedback I get from Acosta because it gives me something to work with, whereas Romero has been there, done that and figures the best bet is to not say too much. There is an argument to be made that Acosta could be more diplomatic, but diplomacy is just another word for spinning information and I prefer my information direct and un-spun.

I prefer the experience of Dr. Romero. Having Dr. Acosta tell me I was totally occluded, only to have two pieces of toast quickly find the way through the band, left me a bit wary of his skills. You found Dr. Romero close-lipped, but he has always given me feedback, and he has taught me a lot about working with the band.

Quite frankly, if I require to do something more to accomplish my weight loss, I want to hear it, as unpleasant as it might be to hear. Give me the facts and let me decide how to use them. In my opinion, honest and direct information is a very rare commodity at OCC. And I believe that many, if not most, patients prefer it that way. (Yeah, so I guess I just agreed that Acosta is going to have to shut up pretty soon. :( )

Yes....I want to know if I need to do more to accomplish my weight loss as well. Dr. Acosta offered me no such information. He merely verbalized a list of untrue assumptions to me. I know what I need to do to accomplish my weight loss: eat less and exercise more. I have known that for 20 years, but never have been able to implement it. The band offers me a chance to eat less.

And please don't take this as being nitpicky, since that is not my objective, but your statement is not an opinion, it's a desire. We all desire the band to do all the work. In fact, if we could, I think we would desire a magic wand instead. But if that desire is not going to be met, and I think we all now know that it's not, then it's important to know what other action is necessary to fulfill our goal.

It is nitpicky. Opinions and desires are not mutually exclusive. Is your objective to debate just for the sake of debate? I have a close friend that does the same thing, and I have been known to do it as well. It can be quite entertaining. Having an antagonist offers a refreshing twist on this forum.

This assumes that you would not have opted for another, perhaps more efficient, weight loss option instead. I won't name them, because your comments have already started to draw the rah-rah sisters like sharks to chum and I can live without their single-minded derision of anything remotely perceived to be anti-band or anti-OCC.

That is a safe assumption. I have a long history of not opting for efficient weight loss options.

Now 'rah-rah sisters'- that is quite funny. Good to see you have humorous side.

Excellent distinction. Certainly the weight of the money invested has to play a very significant role in the Return On Investment expected. In my case, I did not pay for my surgery myself. Yet, although I did not make a financial investment, I have made an enormous emotional investment and I expect a matching payback. Nothing less than reaching my target weight is even remotely an option. And I want to do it as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

I don't know. The world is a big place and there are many places to visit. Three trips to San Diego/TJ are more than enough for me.

I have been in Orlando, Naples, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Talahassee, NYC, Hartford, Washington DC,

Houston, Dallas, Austin, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Richmond, Greensboro, Charlotte, Omaha, Oklahoma City, Virginia Beach, and San Diego in the last 90 days. The world is a big place, and I visit many places in this country every year. And yes, San Diego/TJ is still a desirable destination for me. Just my opinion (or desire?)

Okay, for this one I'll risk incurring the wrath of the rah-rah sisters. There are literally thousands of studies that show that the longer an endeavor takes, the more the chances of success are reduced. Humans seem able to sustain their drive towards accomplishing goals for only limited periods of time. Yes, there are many exceptions, but at the end of the day, the vast majority simply allow most time-consuming goals to gradually slip away.

This statement is contrary to much of my life experience. I would say the longer an endeavor takes, the higher chance of success. Tenacity tends to bring results. Examples are building wealth, the fall of communism, the goal of putting a man on the moon, etc, etc. I guess I have not seen these 'thousands of studies', but I have seen hundreds of accounts of tenacious individuals reaching goals by not giving up.

Most people will get their first fill promptly, dawdle a little over the second fill, lose their enthusiasm for the third fill and by the fourth of fifth fill simply lose interest. And the long term statistical results of lap-band surgery do bear this out. The patients who lose the most initiallly relative to their target weight show much better results in the long term than those who struggle to lose weight during the first months.

I agree that many people may lose interest. I am, however, obese. I will never lose interest in getting my band properly adjusted to work towards my goal.

While it sounds good to say this is a long journey, the length of the journey does, in fact, have a substantial impact on the outcome. SHIELDS UP!

Getting fat was a long journey, so I fully expect losing substantial weight will not happen quickly either. We all desire a magic wand, but there is not one. The longer one works towards a goal, the higher the chance for success.

I won't name them, because your comments have already started to draw the rah-rah sisters like sharks to chum and I can live without their single-minded derision of anything remotely perceived to be anti-band or anti-OCC.

THANKS, I'LL TAKE THAT RAH RAH. BETTER MY GLASS HALF FULL THAN HAVE A DOOM AND GLOOM, POOR ATTITUDE :((

Having an antagonist offers a refreshing twist on this forum.

RAH RAH LOL

I find it curious that in this day and age anyone would assume weight loss is that easy. The band does not do most of the work for you, it isn't advertised as such, and it isn't how it works. The band merely enables you to do the work yourself. Quite frankly, it is that very type of thinking that got us fat to begin with.

The fat still needs to be burned one way or another. I think you might find that once you do get closer to goal it will take a LOT of work to burn those final few pounds. I mean LOADS of work.

As for the big issue of the money, why in the world would you go to Mexico for surgery if you have all this extra cash laying around the house when you could have just gone down the street? Not sure I understand the reasoning for the diatribe on money issues.

252/164/150

Banded 12/06

Relax, no wrath from me. I guess I'm still into cheerleading after 34 years. Rah Rah. LOL

I would never dream of including you with the rah-rah sisters, Teri. I find your thoughts, opinions and comments extremely valuable, helpful, open-minded and reality-based. Heck, even your wrath is welcome. :)

I would never dream of including you with the rah-rah sisters, Teri. I find your thoughts, opinions and comments extremely valuable, helpful, open-minded and reality-based. Heck, even your wrath is welcome. :)

Why thankyou, NoWorry. :) Ditto :)

As for the big issue of the money, why in the world would you go to Mexico for surgery if you have all this extra cash laying around the house when you could have just gone down the street? Not sure I understand the reasoning for the diatribe on money issues.

I do not have loads of cash, nor do I keep cash around the house. However, I was able to pay for the surgery out of my available funds. I had to save for many months for the surgery and to restore my emergency fund (anyone else listen to Dave Ramsey?). Prior posts discussed cost per pound, and discussed whether one would recommend spending the money on banding to a friend. I was merely providing my 'two cents' regarding the financial issues. I did not mean to offend anybody. I rely on my paycheck every week just as most of us do.

Why go to Mexico for the surgery? Because the doctor that did my surgery was one of the most experienced and competent surgeons in the world, and happens to practice in Tijuana. And, having surgery 'down the street' would have financially strained me. Why pay double or triple the price for an amateur, when a pro was available for a price I could manage.

And thank you for the reminder- I do need to put more effort into allowing the band to assist me with my weight loss. I need to learn to use this tool to the best of my ability. It is not that easy-- it does take work. Your point is well taken.

And thank you for the reminder- I do need to put more effort into allowing the band to assist me with my weight loss. I need to learn to use this tool to the best of my ability. It is not that easy-- it does take work. Your point is well taken.

Greg...

If you can just do 10 minutes of treadmill daily, then increase by one minute to 20 minutes daily it would actually make a huge difference. Studies are showing that it is not only okay to do 10-20 minutes at a time, it is preferred. You actually burn more fat doing multiple short stints. I can find the study if you are interested.

I've read too many studies, I know that there are biological reasons we eat the way we do. But exercise, that's just self determination. I hate it, absolutely hate it. But I do 1-2 hours daily of hard cardio. Just bought a bowflex and I'm still at the stage of looking at it wondering what the heck to do with it, but I will start using it eventually.

Even 20 minutes of cardio makes a huge difference. I had to work up to it, I believe I started with 10 minutes of slow walking. I'm can do up to 2 hours of non stop running now. I still hate it but I can do it. ;)

Greg...

If you can just do 10 minutes of treadmill daily, then increase by one minute to 20 minutes daily it would actually make a huge difference. Studies are showing that it is not only okay to do 10-20 minutes at a time, it is preferred. You actually burn more fat doing multiple short stints. I can find the study if you are interested.

I actually have been doing medium paced 10-12 minute walks 6-8 times daily for the past 2 months or so. Perhaps I should up my times to 15 minutes.

I actually have been doing medium paced 10-12 minute walks 6-8 times daily for the past 2 months or so. Perhaps I should up my times to 15 minutes.

What if you increase by 1 minute every few days? Or even every week?

That's what I did and it worked for me. Everyone has to find what works for them.

You are doing great!

• 2 weeks later...

i got lasik back in 2000 - that and the lapband are the best moves i have ever made... just make sure you go with a very experienced doc - as with everything the more lasiks performed the better chances of success... i have been 20/20 for 7 yrs and before i was so blind i couldnt see more than 3 ft in front of me.

i got lasik back in 2000 - that and the lapband are the best moves i have ever made... just make sure you go with a very experienced doc - as with everything the more lasiks performed the better chances of success... i have been 20/20 for 7 yrs and before i was so blind i couldnt see more than 3 ft in front of me.

I ALSO HAD LASIK SURGERY, STILL PERFECT VISION AFTER 8 YEARS NOW