Is Anyone Scheduled for surgery in Oct?

Yepeeee! i'm scheduled for surgery in Oct. =D> is anyone out there scheduled for Oct Too...previously I was going to Thailand to have my surgery until i read this forum and heard so many wonderful things about Dr. Ortiz.. And it cheaper than Thailand so I'm saving money (that's always a plus Huh?) So if anyone is scheduled in Oct. Let's talk i'm so excited :)

_Tasha

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to be banded Oct. 11th and very nervous. I want to lose 40-45lbs and I'm afarid I'll go Lindsey Lohan. How fast is the weight loss and what is the generally disadvantage?

Octavia,

I wish I had some answers for you.. sorry. I'm scheduled for oct 4th. and I'm nervously excited.. I weight about 210lbs. I want to lose atleast 60-75 pounds. Well I probably won't see you there but good luck and keep me posted, and we can take this journey together..Because I know there are gonna be some hard days..lol :D

I wish you well on your journey. I am presently going through the pre-op testing. I am scheduled for November and I am being banded here in New Jersey. I do hope leading up to my surgery date I meet someone in my area who also will be banded so that I can have someone I can talk to and swap experiences. I think having someone who is going through it to makes it easier. Keep us posted I love hearing about everyones experience it helps me keep an open mind about my own journey. I have some emotional support from a close friend of mine but the one person who's support I want more then anything is not fully on board. That is my boyfriend he thinks I am beautiful just as I am and he thinks my intentions are purely cosmetic, which I have explained they are not, I have many health concerns now & in the future. He thinks just becuase I don't have diabettes, and heart troubles I am perfectly healthy but being 5ft 9 and 272lbs is not healthy. I am giving him time to understand and grow into the idea because face it this is reality (its gonna happen).

Brandy

My banding date is October 8 and I can't wait. I've been thinking about this for years and planning this trip for months. I must say though that the closer it gets, the more concerned I am about my ability to work with the process. Pre op diets, post op diets, will I have this band when I'm 80....all kinds of things going through my head.

However, I've had even more scary things to deal with lately. I was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer on July 10th. The good news is that it is virtually 100% curable, but the bad news is that it IS cancer and is treated pretty agressively. I've had two surgeries to remove the tumor and am in the middle of a high dose radiation treatment this week.

Through it all, I keep my eye on the prize - MEXICO! I'm ready for that change - the one that will positively affect my life for the long term. Cancer is the bump in the road. Lap-Band surgery is the life altering surgery on my horizon.

BTW, I'm in eastern PA, and haven't completely worked out where I'll go for fills, but the FillCenter site in NJ is most likely.

:blink:

My banding date is October 8 and I can't wait. I've been thinking about this for years and planning this trip for months. I must say though that the closer it gets, the more concerned I am about my ability to work with the process. Pre op diets, post op diets, will I have this band when I'm 80....all kinds of things going through my head.

Through it all, I keep my eye on the prize - MEXICO! I'm ready for that change - the one that will positively affect my life for the long term. Cancer is the bump in the road. Lap-Band surgery is the life altering surgery on my horizon.

Good luck with the cancer; I'm impressed that you're ready to deal with the banding too on top of those other surgeries. My daughter in law had her breast removed in mid 2005, and after a tiring round of radiation and chemo is doing very well. Hers was agressive and quite far along, so we're grateful to have her with us.

I, too, am scheduled for Oct 8th and looking forward to it. I really don't want to wait that long, but have had to figure out how to leave work here in BC for as long as I want. I'm taking the opportunity of driving down to TJ to visit all my kids and grandkids in California.

However, I've had even more scary things to deal with lately. I was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer on July 10th. The good news is that it is virtually 100% curable, but the bad news is that it IS cancer and is treated pretty agressively. I've had two surgeries to remove the tumor and am in the middle of a high dose radiation treatment this week.

BTW, I'm in eastern PA, and haven't completely worked out where I'll go for fills, but the FillCenter site in NJ is most likely.

:blink:

Wow! I am so impressed with your attitude. You'll be in my thoughts; good luck.

Good luck with the cancer; I'm impressed that you're ready to deal with the banding too on top of those other surgeries. My daughter in law had her breast removed in mid 2005, and after a tiring round of radiation and chemo is doing very well. Hers was agressive and quite far along, so we're grateful to have her with us.

I, too, am scheduled for Oct 8th and looking forward to it. I really don't want to wait that long, but have had to figure out how to leave work here in BC for as long as I want. I'm taking the opportunity of driving down to TJ to visit all my kids and grandkids in California.

I feel very fortunate to have caught the cancer as early as we did. It's been tough to deal with, but not like your daughter-in-laws's. Either way, we must be thankful for all achievements and look at the positive side of things. I get my radiation catheter out today and I am hoping this will help reduce the painful swelling. Either way, radiation is finished TODAY!

I'll see you in TJ on the 8th!

Hi October bandsters. My husband and I are scheduled for October 10. Hope to see you there! I am hoping to lose about 75 lb, but right now would be happy just to get out of the terrible 200's! My insurance requires a doctor's referral and a psych evaluation, which we are going through now. We are about a five hour drive from the Tijuana border crossing, so we are hoping to get out fills at OCC and maybe have some mini-vacations in southern California when we do it. I am a little apprehensive about living with the band, but not about the surgery itself.

Yepeeee! i'm scheduled for surgery in Oct. =D> is anyone out there scheduled for Oct Too...previously I was going to Thailand to have my surgery until i read this forum and heard so many wonderful things about Dr. Ortiz.. And it cheaper than Thailand so I'm saving money (that's always a plus Huh?) So if anyone is scheduled in Oct. Let's talk i'm so excited :)

_Tasha

_Tasha

Hi Tasha, I'm booked to have surgery on October 11th, when is yours? I'm feeling nervous!!!

I'm going to be banded Oct. 11th and very nervous. I want to lose 40-45lbs and I'm afarid I'll go Lindsey Lohan. How fast is the weight loss and what is the generally disadvantage?

Hey Octavia, I am also going to be banded Oct 11th by Dr Ortiz, maybe we can chat as it seems like we are both feeling a bit nervous about the surgery.

Hi Tasha, I'm booked to have surgery on October 11th, when is yours? I'm feeling nervous!!!

I am Scheduled for Oct. 5 I'm not nerous just excited because i'm ready to lose weight. have you started your preop diet yet?

So I have a little problem. I am supposed to lose 5 per cent of my body weight pre-operatively. However, if my BMI is below 35 my insurance won't pay for it. My pre-pre-op BMI is just at 35. ARRRGGGGH!

Snowbird,

Hmmmm, tricky!

I think what I would do is make sure your last RECORDED weight is keeping you above the 35 BMI. Make sure you have an official medical visit stateside where you get weighed and get the written approval from your insurance company, and then start the pre-op stuff. The tricky part will be your weight when you show up for surgery....maybe that can be an "unofficial' part of your record, but I am not sure how that goes, as I am not getting surgery until the 1st of October.

Snowbird,

Hmmmm, tricky!

I think what I would do is make sure your last RECORDED weight is keeping you above the 35 BMI. Make sure you have an official medical visit stateside where you get weighed and get the written approval from your insurance company, and then start the pre-op stuff. The tricky part will be your weight when you show up for surgery....maybe that can be an "unofficial' part of your record, but I am not sure how that goes, as I am not getting surgery until the 1st of October.

I'm hoping that's how this is going to work. I went to my doctor August 4 and my BMI was 35. Since then I have lost 10 pounds on a sort of pre-pre-op diet, and hope to lose a couple more before my surgery on Oct 10. Just hope the insurance company doesn't look at my weight when I get to OCC and decide I don't meet their criteria. I figure I will save them money in the long run just if I can get off the Nexium twice a day. However, since they reimburse for the surgery after I have already paid for it, I can see them being less than kind about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still "on" for 10/8? It's 2 weeks away! YeeeeeeHAAA! I am so ready. Well.. not really ready, but mentally I can't wait to get on to the next part of my life.

Hi Octavia,

Im going to be banded the day after you w/ Dr. Ortiz. Hopefully we'll run into each other! Definately lets keep posting here, as we take this journey together. Good Luck to you! :)

Hi there.

I am being banded on October 12th. Octavia maybe I will see you there. Good to find someone who is going to be there at the same time.

Karen

Hi Karen,

I am also being banded on October 12th by Dr. Ortiz. It is VERY reasurring to find others willing to share their adventure. I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery. ><'

i Know i tried it for one day and i got so hungry i started to feel sick.. I don't think I'm goning to be about to do this...

<_<

I am new today and I am scheduled for surgery on October 9th. Is anyone else scheduled for that day? I am so scared I can hardly work. Oh and I had my last cigarette today...

• 2 weeks later...