getting banded in Jan.

Hi Everyone i am new here with just a few questions. I am having sugery on Jan. 10 with Dr. Ortiz. How hard is the liquids only stage? What am i really in for? Is it terrible or just inconvienient? I must admit i am very nervous. My family doesn't really like the idea of Mexico, but i feel i have done my research and Dr. Ortiz is very highly recommended. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom? I would like a little insight on what to expect the first few days after surgery to be like. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scared in Boise

I was banded on 11.18 and wanted to try to alleviate some of your concerns. !st - dr. ortiz and staff are beyond wonderful and if you are scared - call dr. ortiz and tell him about it. I had cancelled my surgery and after talking to him I was so reassured and much more content. It is scary and it is surgery and while you will recover quickly - it still is SURGERy. Things move fast and like clockwork with Dr. Ortiz so you don't have to think much - after surgery you walk around and are a litlle sore but very manageable. The trip home was the hardest for me becuz i had such bad gas pains i look deranged in the airport. Later, my husband gently rubbed my back and shoulder area and that seemed to help move the gas through. I really haven't had any trouble with the post surgery diet - I'm not hungry though if i watch a lot of cooking shows or tv the commercials make me dream of food. I'm committed to following the program so it's not too bad for me. I'm actually a little scared of eating but that's a week a way and I'll be fine! Each day after surgery is a llittle different and if you can take off work for even a week - i say go for go it. I have a very easy job and worked 4 hours - 5 hours a day the first week back and it was pretty tiring. I laid on the couch for hours afterwards. That may not be you but try to build in time to rest and recover. My surgery mates that went right back to work had it tougher. My port site was the most sore and a little swollen but again not too bad. Today (day 15 i think) i noticed i can lay on my non port side comfortably and can get up and down from bed with very little soreness in my port. two of the scars are almost invisible even now. So, write with questions and keep active on the boards as you will find a lot of answers and soon you will be sharing your stories with others. Best of luck to all! Mary

There is some swelling after the surgey so it is like you are restricted. So just stick with the liquids. I found out my band was tight in the a.m. and I care barely get tea down but by afternoon I could drink freely. I did have to crush my meds to get them down for a couple of weeks. I get whole food this SAT and I am excited. You really won't be starving until the swelling goes down. I am getting hungry for real food that is for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

;) I was just banded yestderday, it was much easier then I thought it was going to be, Dr Ortiz is just WONDERFUL!! Things went VERY smooth. Went it was all done I was a little sore but nothing really too bad. I stayed at the hospital one night, and since I am local here in San Diego I am now at home. I do have some gas pains. but I was told to expect that, I was however able to sleep on the non-portside on the same night as the surgery. I am now on the clear liquids, really not hungry, I had some clear broth, had about 4 spoonfuls and that was all I could get down. One hint don't watch food network, or to many TV commercials, they wil make you want food, but that is your head talking not your belly! =-)

As far as being scared that is is in Mexico, there is nothing to fear, the hospital is GREAT! The staff ALL speak english your room is a private suite and it is all like you are in the US. I HIGHLY recommend it!!

Allan Hincapie

San Diego