What does Full feel like?

maplewillow1

Please help me figure this out. I had surgury on 10/12/05. I had my 1st fill on 12/03/05. I didn't have any restriction after surgery after the swelling went down which I understand is normal. My fill was 1.5cc. I only feel restriction with bread and some meat. I have had a PB with those items. I'm not losing because I can eat too much of other things without feeling full. I try to eat slowly and to chew well. What I'm wondering about is: Do I need more fill? And What does full feel like when you have the right fill amount? Do you feel full OR do you just get that PB feeling - pain in the chest? Thanks, Marilyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marilyn!

I've had several fills and unfills. My last unfill Dr. Martinez took out .4cc and told me the most I could have is .2cc put back in at a later date. That was in late November and I will be going back Feb. 4th for (possibly) my final fill. I don't think I ever feel full like before the band but I feel what they call a soft stop. Examples of a soft stop are: drippy nose, (that's what I get), left shoulder pain, burping, and hiccups. If you don't catch your own soft stop signal and stop eating, you will have what they call the hard stop. That's the golf ball feeling and sliming. Not a good thing. We all know what happens after that! Once you get to the right restriction you are supposed to not be hungry between meals for at least 4 hours. I don't think it's a full feeling, more like a satisfied feeling. I feel very restricted during the day but from early evening till about 9:00 I am ravenous! That's why I'm going back in Feb. I hope this will do the trick. If I were you I'd go back and get a fill too. ;)

Doris Bruestle 8/4/04

Drs. Ortiz & Martinez

208/162/128

Hi Marilynn:

Thanks for writting back to the previous question, it was really great to read that what is happening to me is normal. I just had my surgery on the 10th of Jan/06 and I have had a runny nose and the pain in my left shoulder, I now know what that means, these forums are great, if you have any other info keep it coming.

Thanks

Sherri :D

Hi Marilyn!

I've had several fills and unfills.  My last unfill Dr. Martinez took out .4cc and told me the most I could have is .2cc put back in at a later date.  That was in late November and I will be going back Feb. 4th for (possibly) my final fill.  I don't think I ever feel full like before the band but I feel what they call a soft stop.  Examples of a soft stop are: drippy nose, (that's what I get), left shoulder pain, burping, and hiccups.  If you don't catch your own soft stop signal and stop eating, you will have what they call the hard stop.  That's the golf ball feeling and sliming.  Not a good thing.  We all know what happens after that!  Once you get to the right restriction you are supposed to not be hungry between meals for at least 4 hours.  I don't think it's a full feeling, more like a satisfied feeling.  I feel very restricted during the day but from early evening till about 9:00 I am ravenous!  That's why I'm going back in Feb.  I hope this will do the trick.  If I were you I'd go back and get a fill too. ;)

Doris Bruestle 8/4/04

Drs. Ortiz & Martinez

208/162/128

I was soooo glad to read that someone else had the shoulder pain and burping! I was so worried with the shoulder pain and had no idea what it was from. I had my banding on Jan 10th and it is one week and one day today and I feel so much better. Back to normal (just drinking not eating). Thanks

Carol

Hey Carol:

You and I were banded on the same day, how are you doing with the luquids, I live in Canada and they dont make you stay on fluids as long as the states, not sure about that, I can start soilds next week, I thought I was going to lose it everytime I had to eat soup, anyway I was wondering what PB means if anyone knows please fill me in.

Thanks

Sherri

I had my first fill in Kansas City on Monday. Dr Malley just put in 1.25 cc and I am exactly like you. Dry meat hangs up and so does bread but otherwise I can't tell they did a fill. I am trying to make healthy choice like fish, asparagus and such but I feel like I can still eat a lot. I always heard 3/4 cup of food should satisfy us. Does that come with later fills?

Please let me know what some of you other Bandsters think????? ;)

I was very hungry during the first liquid phase after surgery. I mean I was hungry by day 3! I have found that fruit juice did wonders for me in the beginning and jello. Even now after my fill, I can just have a big glass of juice and it will sustain me for a long time. I think the mistake I had made is not changing my thinking about food. You will never be able to eat the same way again. Ever.

Unfortunately, there really is no "full" feeling ever again. If you are full you are usually PBing or throwing up. My signal is 1 sharp hiccup. If I hiccup more then once I have eaten to much. I find that some days are better then others and that the morning is the most difficult time of the day to eat.

Marilyn, you should go back and get another fill. I had 2cc becuase I wanted to make sure it was tight and it was a bit too tight. So make sure you really pay attention when you are getting the fill. Right after my fill I was eating really quickly and throwing up all the time...forget the burping. I totally bypassed the burping and went straight to puking. But I have figured it out now and am in a good place.

Good luck!

Feelin full is something we will not experience like we did pre band ever again..many bandsters talk about a soft stop sign.. it is some kind of sign that tells you that you are full..it takes some time to figure it out but for some bandsters it is a hiccup..or a runny nose..or a pain in the shoulder, for me it was an ice cream headache. Pay close attention to any little sign you get while you are eating...it may be right under your nose but you just do not realize it yet... good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

If you are not losing weight/inches/sizes and your appetite has increased you probably need a fill. I always start getting hungry 2.5-3 hours between meals but find if I keep busy, drink a big glass of water, it goes away in about 5-10 minutes and I can wait until next meal. However, I am tracking this as I don't want to struggle like before the band so if I can do this without too much mental anquish i think i'm ok - if i start grazing or can't stop eating between meals - i would call the doctor. Sometimes between meals i will have a non fat yogurt or sugar free pudding (both 100 calories) becuz it gets me some calcium/dairy and it's pretty much liquid. Also, I am much hungrier a week before my period which hasn't changed since getting the band. PS my soft stop is a burp and so far that is the only thing that has been fairly 'easy' for me - I haven't overeaten yet but have definitely gotten some things stuck - NOT FUN at all.

PB=Productive Burping, you will no longer be able to "throw up" :wacko:, so to speak, it will only be productive burping.

Hey Carol:

You and I were banded on the same day, how are you doing with the luquids, I live in Canada and they dont make you stay on fluids as long as the states, not sure about that, I can start soilds next week, I thought I was going to lose it everytime I had to eat soup, anyway I was wondering what PB means if anyone knows please fill me in.

Thanks

Sherri

1885[/snapback]

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all this info. I thoughth it was just me.

i seriously feel like I could eat a full meal without thinking. I'm a vegetarian so meat iasn't an issue. yesterday I ate my first piece of toast. My surgeon said bread would be an issue but toast is usually okay. I managed to get 1 and half slices down, but it was only due to the usual pain you get with certain textured foods. I was still hungry, and could easily have had a bowl of mushy cereal if I had let myself.

I think I need to seriously change my mindset. The dietician said this before my surgery, but I didn't really understand until now.

It's not a magic wand that will just make me full and not want to eat after half a cup of food. I have to make the effort or it just won't work and it'll be a lot of time and money gone to waste.

• 4 weeks later...

My surgery was the 8th of March 2006. They tell me (Dr. O and Carolyn) that I am doing good in the loss, but I feel it isn't very much. I guess I need a fill, I stopped losing weight about the third week after my surgery, I'm on a holding pattern now. Since I don't live in CA. I have to wait until mid June to go in for a fill! I'm scared. :( I don't want to gain. I also don't know what it feels like to be full, I could probably eat until the cows come home. I don't, I just stop eating when I think I might be eating too much, which is about 3/4 cup of food and I still have not lost more weight. Well, thanks for letting me vent my concerns. Any hints on how much to eat I would appreciate it. Thanks

Max

Don't panic. And don't listen to those "I lost 40 here, I lost 50 there..." It doesn't necessarily work like this.

They say the first 6-8 weeks are for recovery from surgery. On the 3rd week, I was eating crackers, soft cheese and smoked salmon. A little bit, but I was eating. Didn't lose a hell of a lot during the first 4 weeks. Just a little over 10 lbs. I couldn't wait the 6-8 weeks, had the same "fear" feelings, conveyed it to the doctors down there, fell on deaf ears, so I decided to go get a second opinion stateside for the waiting period on the 1st fill. So, I did, here in AZ, and here is what the US doctors said:

1. Everyone reacts to the band in a different manner. To have a 6-8 week recipe for all, just doesn't work.

2. You are eating more than you should, get a fill.

3. You stop losing, get a fill.

I had surgery on Oct 11. I had the 1st fill 4 weeks later and the 2nd fill 12 weeks later.

I am now 6 months after the surgery, and I have lost a total of exactly 54 lbs. Right on track, if we consider they say it takes about a little over a year to lose 100 lbs. The band is very slow. It is also only a tool to help you lose the weight. It is not a "solve-all". Have faith in it, it will help you. But help yourself as well.

I have to admit I don't eat 1/2 cup, or 3/4 cup. I consider these quantities a myth. I eat more! Heck, my husband and I go down to Mastro's steakhouse down here, and knock ourselves out! We don't do it very often, most times when we go out we split an entre. Let's face it: we, fat people, didn't get fat by eating thin air. We got fat because we like food. Food is a consolation, a celebration, a reward. How exactly can you come home at the end of a 12 hour day, and say I'll eat 1/2 a cup of dry food...

So, here is how I solved the problem: I combined the band with a caloric diet, discovered "Lean Cuisine", and everything works perfectly. At work, for lunch, I take with me one of these microwaveable soups from Campbell. Just something to keep me warm and give me the illusion I am "eating" something. For dinner, Lean Cuisine has an excellent selection of anything you can imagine for under 350 calories. Even pizza!!!The quantity of food in their servings is just right at least for me. It tastes great, too!!! I keep everything under 1000 calories a day or so.

Drink lots of water, coffee, or any of the liquids that will make you go to the bathroom a lot.

That's my 2 bit, good luck!!!

Desert Lady - Surgery: Oct 11, 2005 - 269.5 lbs

1st fill - Nov 12, 2005 - 258 lbs

2nd fill - Jan 28, 2006 - 235 lbs

Apr 14, 2006 - 215 lbs

To me.... the feeling of being full is described like this: If I eat one more bite, I am going to burst. I cannot fit one more morsal in or I might PB. Thanks to the description of the "soft spot" I know what to look for. I too have shoulder pain, hic ups, and runny nose. We are trying the theory out on my husband too. He does not have lap band, but when his nose starts to run, its his "soft spot". This forum is great and so informative. HAPPY EASTER!

• 2 years later...