Low Weight Loss Concern

I am currently looking into being banded. However, I have noticed on other suport websites that there seems to be a great number of people that have been banded for a year or more and have only lost a small amount of weight. Is this normal?

Thanks

1-2 pounds a week is normal. So in 52 weeks (1 year) you can expect 52 lbs being reasonable. Some lose slower and some lose faster. It all depends on how much you work with your band. If you exercise and eat right, there is no reason why you shouldn't lose the weight. But it is at a much healthier pace.

1-2 pounds a week is normal. So in 52 weeks (1 year) you can expect 52 lbs being reasonable. Some lose slower and some lose faster. It all depends on how much you work with your band. If you exercise and eat right, there is no reason why you shouldn't lose the weight. But it is at a much healthier pace.

Thanks, I guess the slow and steady win the race. 52lbs in a year would work for me.

This is kind of freaking me out. I'm hoping that since I am sstarting with a higher BMI, that my weight loss will be a little more rapid. For those of you that have had low or no weight loss, are you following pre and post op diets strictly? It seems to me that the simple switch from "normal" eating to liquid only will cause some weight loss...as I have already lost weight in my first weeek of pre-op diet. I'm so excited about surgery next week, but this topic has me a little nervous. Anyone have anythign additional?

:unsure:

Thanks!

Julia

surgery date 4-4-06

It is true that you may lose more but typically not more than the 1-2 lbs a week. For those of us who only have 50-70 lbs to lose, we tend to lose it slower and work harder at it. The first 50-70 for you just may be easier and not such a struggle with choices and exercise. But the 1-2 lbs a week (averaged) is normal for all of us.

Don't expect to lose weight before your first fill. It is for healing only, not geared toward weight loss. I know it is exciting and you want to see results but many many bandsters do not see any results until after their first fill.

It is true that you may lose more but typically not more than the 1-2 lbs a week. For those of us who only have 50-70 lbs to lose, we tend to lose it slower and work harder at it. The first 50-70 for you just may be easier and not such a struggle with choices and exercise. But the 1-2 lbs a week (averaged) is normal for all of us.

Don't expect to lose weight before your first fill. It is for healing only, not geared toward weight loss. I know it is exciting and you want to see results but many many bandsters do not see any results until after their first fill.

Thanks Jenna :) I am happy at the prospect of a pound a week...it's the folks talking about really long plateaus that had me kind of worried. I'm in for the long haul!

Thanks Again,

Julia

Guest bigger

I have been banded for 1.5 years and have gained weight. It has made my life miserable. Unfortunately not enough people who have failed bother to go back to these sights but I feel that people need to her both sides of the story. There is a reason this procedure is done in Mexico. They do not test adequately to see if there is anything actually causing your weight gain. My new physician thinks what has been done to me is criminal. They actually found through simple testing that my endocrine system is failing. Banding has only made me miserable and caused me to GAIN weight.

DONT DO IT. I think there are many more failures than successes.

That's crap!!!!! It sounds like things didn't work out for you and I feel for you. I am 90 lbs lighter. And this surgery saved my life and many others!! But for you to use your experience to try and scare people on this site is way out of line! Give your head a shake! You are a very small percentage. So if you can't use the problems that your having in a constructive manor instead of trying to scare the shit out of people that are coming to this site looking for advise and most importantly SUPPORT, TAKE A HIKE!!!!!

Your negitive opinion IS NOT Wanted!!!!!!!