Banded in July - My Experience (so far)

It's been a little over 8 weeks since my Lapband Surgery. I researched the Lapband option for several months before I made the decision to go with Dr. Ortiz. It was a decision in will NEVER regret. My entire experience was great. The pre-op diet was a little tough, but the thought of the upcoming procedure kept me motivated.

It was a long six weeks until my first fill. Initially the post surgical swelling restricted my eating, as well, I kept to the post-op diet of liquids, soft foods etc. It was challenging as there were periods when I was hungry, although I found that a cup of soup at hand made it managable.

As the six week period drew to a close I began to feel "normal" and was anxious to get the fill. I had stopped losing weight although I didn't gain. I think the 5th week as was worst, feeling able to eat most anything, and worried that I would not lose weight going forward. However…

My fill went very well, no pain and a very interesting experience. My doc put me on a liquid B Complex, made sure I could drink water okay and off I went !! I was on a liquid diet for a day, then soft foods, then "regular" foods with the admonisions to CHEW - CHEW - CHEW.

I was somewhat hesitant to try a solid, and started off with a very tender chicken - no problems and could only have a small amount. Tummy would growl, but I had no desire to eat more. As the days past I tried various other foods…I haven't found a food I can't eat yet - seems to be more a matter of EATING TOO FAST and/or not CHEWING enough. Yes, I have PB'd once. Ouch, Yikes, and never want to do that again. Getting food stuck hurts!

My issue at this point is the first eating of the day - unless it is liquid, I always feel a little "stuck" - I have a few mintues of attention getting pain - I walk and it's over. I think I'm still taking bites that are too big, not chewing enough and eating too fast. I have read about drinking a hot tea to "open the band" - I am going to try that today. I've also gone to using child size spoons and forks, it's harder to get a big bite with those.

Overall, I'm down 25 pounds in 8 weeks. I am very pleased with that !! No regrets, just looking forward to making new behaviors and better choices a daily habit. Although I already "knew" that this was a tool and not the magic bullet, I still have to remind myself to eat right, the old habits of eating for entertainment, comfort, boredom still remain - and yes, you can eat around the band (sometimes). So, I still am working on eating healthy - but overall this has been the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Singer

Dear Singer,

You have a few really good tips that I wouldn't have thought of as I am trying to "practice" eating slower and chewing more before hand (surgery is not until Dec.) The baby utensils is a good idea that I will try.

Thanks,

Donna

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

Since you are in Oregon, where do you get your fills done at?

Thanks!

Cindy

I am in oregon too, I was wondering that

It's been a little over 8 weeks since my Lapband Surgery. I researched the Lapband option for several months before I made the decision to go with Dr. Ortiz. It was a decision in will NEVER regret. My entire experience was great. The pre-op diet was a little tough, but the thought of the upcoming procedure kept me motivated.

It was a long six weeks until my first fill. Initially the post surgical swelling restricted my eating, as well, I kept to the post-op diet of liquids, soft foods etc. It was challenging as there were periods when I was hungry, although I found that a cup of soup at hand made it managable.

As the six week period drew to a close I began to feel "normal" and was anxious to get the fill. I had stopped losing weight although I didn't gain. I think the 5th week as was worst, feeling able to eat most anything, and worried that I would not lose weight going forward. However…

My fill went very well, no pain and a very interesting experience. My doc put me on a liquid B Complex, made sure I could drink water okay and off I went !! I was on a liquid diet for a day, then soft foods, then "regular" foods with the admonisions to CHEW - CHEW - CHEW.

I was somewhat hesitant to try a solid, and started off with a very tender chicken - no problems and could only have a small amount. Tummy would growl, but I had no desire to eat more. As the days past I tried various other foods…I haven't found a food I can't eat yet - seems to be more a matter of EATING TOO FAST and/or not CHEWING enough. Yes, I have PB'd once. Ouch, Yikes, and never want to do that again. Getting food stuck hurts!

My issue at this point is the first eating of the day - unless it is liquid, I always feel a little "stuck" - I have a few mintues of attention getting pain - I walk and it's over. I think I'm still taking bites that are too big, not chewing enough and eating too fast. I have read about drinking a hot tea to "open the band" - I am going to try that today. I've also gone to using child size spoons and forks, it's harder to get a big bite with those.

Overall, I'm down 25 pounds in 8 weeks. I am very pleased with that !! No regrets, just looking forward to making new behaviors and better choices a daily habit. Although I already "knew" that this was a tool and not the magic bullet, I still have to remind myself to eat right, the old habits of eating for entertainment, comfort, boredom still remain - and yes, you can eat around the band (sometimes). So, I still am working on eating healthy - but overall this has been the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Singer

I live in Oregon, I am considering this as an option, not only for myself but for my husband and my friend. We are all over weight. Can I ask you some questions? Once the procedure is done, I understand that there are fills, but how long will this go on? I am concerned about cost. If I go down to TJ and get it done, I dont know if I could afford the time or money to go back. Especially for both my husband and I, since we have a 4 year old son. We would have to leave him with someone for both of us to go. Also, can you give me an idea of how much the whole thing costs and how much I can expect to pay per fill. My fear, is what is something goes wrong? Also, how would I find out if I can still go to my chiropractor, I would worry about that. I find this site great to read. I was wondering about taking my pills and I got the answer, great site. One thing you did say, chew chew chew. Boy that would be an eye opener for me, since I eat so fast. I would really have to slow down. Please any information you can give me to help me make the best decision, would be so much appreciated. Thanks