2 years post-op

This week marks 2 years ago that I was banded by Dr. Ortiz. It has been an amazing ride, that's for sure. You don't realize all of the changes that can come from getting rid of the weight. When you stop hiding behind your size and open yourself up to experience new things...WOW!! Eight months after my surgery, with quite a few pounds gone, I moved from Texas to Cancun. Sold everything and just moved. It was such a great move for me. I've written before how I didn't lose any weight for my first year in Cancun. I didn't even try...was just in survival mode. Turns out that moving to another country, alone, isn't as easy as it sounds.

Last fall, I decided it was time to finish what I had started. I went back to eating the way I should, and I joined the gym...hired a trainer and am still paying him to kick my rear end 5 days/week. I've lost another 30 lbs since last October and have just 15 more left to hit my goal. For the first time since my freshman year in college, I am in single digit clothes (size 8), and headed for that goal size 6! Its not easy...I still have to choose every day not to eat junk. I have to choose not to cheat the band. I have no support system here and am sure I could use a fill...but, I just do the best I can.

Its pretty weird...wrapping your head around not being fat anymore. I still just see ME in the mirror, but then I say to myself...I'm wearing a size 8, and I'm wearing it comfortably...I can't be that fat, right??? I still see all the things that need to be fixed...I know it will take me the rest of this year to tighten everything up and get my body to look the way I want, but I know I will get there. For the first time in my entire life, I am starting to have definition in my abs!!! So, its pretty exciting right now...seeing all the changes, and hearing all the gasps from people who haven't seen me in a while. I've started dating and just started enjoying life, in general.

Here's a pic of what a difference two years can make...sorry, I don't have any full body pics (haven't figured out how to take those by myself, and won't ask others to take those kinds of pics). Will post one when I do...

Hope this finds you all well. Enjoy the journey...

Kris

2 Year Post Op

Wow! You look great!!! You should pat yourself on the back for a job well done. How brave it was to move to a new country and start over...... =D>

Hi Kris,

Way to go you look fantastic!

Can you get a fill in Cancun, I think I remember OCC doing lap bands in Cancun?

SJ

My understanding is that after Hurricane Wilma, Dr. Ortiz decided to focus on the office in TJ. So, no office here and I cannot seem to find anyone else who does the Lap Band, fills, etc. in Cancun. I email OCC periodically to see if Dr. Ortiz has any trips planned down here, but so far, no luck. Hopefully, I can get something worked out this year to get a check-up, fill, etc. I love living here, but it does have its drawbacks...

Kris,

congrats! you look wonderful... thank you for sharing. its so easy for us to move on with living life that the newbies dont get good followup stories of where are they now?? yours is truely a great story and i am so happy for you. i am sure you will have continued success!

kim

Kris,

You are such an inspiration. You are a beautiful young lady and without even knowing you, I'm very proud of you. I wish so much that I could make a similar post. I was banded the first week of November, 2007 and to date have lost only 16 pounds. I have had one fill, which ocurred the first week of January 2008 and I haven't lost but about 2 or 3 pounds since then.

I'm pretty convinced that I must be eating around the band, and definitely know that I'm not getting proper amounts of exercise. I read posts such as yours and feel so happy for you, yet so defeated for myself. You'd think I'd get with it after investing so much money, which by the way was out of pocket.

You keep up the good work and enjoy your life, you deserve it.

Kris,

You are such an inspiration. You are a beautiful young lady and without even knowing you, I'm very proud of you. I wish so much that I could make a similar post. I was banded the first week of November, 2007 and to date have lost only 16 pounds. I have had one fill, which ocurred the first week of January 2008 and I haven't lost but about 2 or 3 pounds since then.

I'm pretty convinced that I must be eating around the band, and definitely know that I'm not getting proper amounts of exercise. I read posts such as yours and feel so happy for you, yet so defeated for myself. You'd think I'd get with it after investing so much money, which by the way was out of pocket.

You keep up the good work and enjoy your life, you deserve it.

sassy,

i was just like you, i lost very little wt from nov 06 to april 07 --- i would suggest you start counting calories.. for some reason i though eating 2/3 less in food would make me lose but i was just maintaining.. i had to really cut the calories down to 1200 to 1400 a day to see any wt loss... i still have averaged 1 lb a week but now the difference is huge... hang in there a refocus.. thats the best part about the band - you can start over every single day and not feel so bad! you can do this.

kim

Thanks for the nice comments. I really do appreciate it. I hope reading my story can offer encouragement to someone. The thing that I've come to realize is that this band is just a tool...and even after making the commitment (both emotional and financial) to change your life...well, sometimes you have to "Re-Commit". I lost about 40 lbs in the first 6 months after my surgery, but then didn't lose another single pound (in fact, I gained 5) for a whole year. I finally had a long talk with myself and decided it was time to stop making excuses and finish what I had started...time to "re-commit" to changing my life.

I wasn't kidding when I said that I still struggle every single day...eating less, if you are eating junk...not so helpful. It is easy to "cheat the band". What has helped me is keeping track of what I eat. I allow myself once a week to eat whatever I want (which is usually sushi!!) and also it has helped me tons that I hired a trainer...I am actually enjoying going to the gym now and I've even started jogging (and like it)-- but knowing that I've paid someone to hang out with me and push me at the gym helps A LOT! I don't post a lot, because I don't feel like I've done a very good job with this thing...but, we're all human, and if it were that easy, none of us would have the band in the first place, right? I had really hoped to be at my goal weight by my 2 year anniversary date and am trying not to beat myself up that I didn't make my goal...gotta be realistic. I know I'll get it done...just gonna take a bit more time.

So, don't get down on yourself, if like me, your weight loss has been slower than you'd hoped. RE-COMMIT and finish what you started!! You really can do it...we all can!

Hugs from Cancun...

Kris

(re: OCC location in Cancun...even though it is still advertised on the website, there is no location here)

:((

sassy,

i was just like you, i lost very little wt from nov 06 to april 07 --- i would suggest you start counting calories.. for some reason i though eating 2/3 less in food would make me lose but i was just maintaining.. i had to really cut the calories down to 1200 to 1400 a day to see any wt loss... i still have averaged 1 lb a week but now the difference is huge... hang in there a refocus.. thats the best part about the band - you can start over every single day and not feel so bad! you can do this.

kim

Kim,

Thanks for your words of encouragement, I most definitely need them. I admit, I thought the same way, that if I'm eating 2/3 less food, who cares what it is. I can't believe it doesn't matter. Who'd a thunk? :rolleyes: After reading you and Kris' messages, I guess I have no choice but to totally change the way I've been thinking. Like you and Kris have said, refocus - recommit. I do worry that I may have "stretched" my band, but I say that only because of the amount of food I can still put away. :((

I will keep in touch, tho I don't post often, to let you know If I've been able to grab myself up by the bootstraps and start over. ;)

Thanks again for your comments,

Thanks for the nice comments. I really do appreciate it. I hope reading my story can offer encouragement to someone. The thing that I've come to realize is that this band is just a tool...and even after making the commitment (both emotional and financial) to change your life...well, sometimes you have to "Re-Commit". I lost about 40 lbs in the first 6 months after my surgery, but then didn't lose another single pound (in fact, I gained 5) for a whole year. I finally had a long talk with myself and decided it was time to stop making excuses and finish what I had started...time to "re-commit" to changing my life.

I wasn't kidding when I said that I still struggle every single day...eating less, if you are eating junk...not so helpful. It is easy to "cheat the band". What has helped me is keeping track of what I eat. I allow myself once a week to eat whatever I want (which is usually sushi!!) and also it has helped me tons that I hired a trainer...I am actually enjoying going to the gym now and I've even started jogging (and like it)-- but knowing that I've paid someone to hang out with me and push me at the gym helps A LOT! I don't post a lot, because I don't feel like I've done a very good job with this thing...but, we're all human, and if it were that easy, none of us would have the band in the first place, right? I had really hoped to be at my goal weight by my 2 year anniversary date and am trying not to beat myself up that I didn't make my goal...gotta be realistic. I know I'll get it done...just gonna take a bit more time.

So, don't get down on yourself, if like me, your weight loss has been slower than you'd hoped. RE-COMMIT and finish what you started!! You really can do it...we all can!

Hugs from Cancun...

Kris

(re: OCC location in Cancun...even though it is still advertised on the website, there is no location here)

Kris,

Thanks again for all your great words of encouragement. You should certainly consider yourself a success story. Enjoy Cancun you devil. :-h

• 2 weeks later...
This week marks 2 years ago that I was banded by Dr. Ortiz. It has been an amazing ride, that's for sure. You don't realize all of the changes that can come from getting rid of the weight. When you stop hiding behind your size and open yourself up to experience new things...WOW!! Eight months after my surgery, with quite a few pounds gone, I moved from Texas to Cancun. Sold everything and just moved. It was such a great move for me. I've written before how I didn't lose any weight for my first year in Cancun. I didn't even try...was just in survival mode. Turns out that moving to another country, alone, isn't as easy as it sounds.

Last fall, I decided it was time to finish what I had started. I went back to eating the way I should, and I joined the gym...hired a trainer and am still paying him to kick my rear end 5 days/week. I've lost another 30 lbs since last October and have just 15 more left to hit my goal. For the first time since my freshman year in college, I am in single digit clothes (size 8), and headed for that goal size 6! Its not easy...I still have to choose every day not to eat junk. I have to choose not to cheat the band. I have no support system here and am sure I could use a fill...but, I just do the best I can.

Its pretty weird...wrapping your head around not being fat anymore. I still just see ME in the mirror, but then I say to myself...I'm wearing a size 8, and I'm wearing it comfortably...I can't be that fat, right??? I still see all the things that need to be fixed...I know it will take me the rest of this year to tighten everything up and get my body to look the way I want, but I know I will get there. For the first time in my entire life, I am starting to have definition in my abs!!! So, its pretty exciting right now...seeing all the changes, and hearing all the gasps from people who haven't seen me in a while. I've started dating and just started enjoying life, in general.

Here's a pic of what a difference two years can make...sorry, I don't have any full body pics (haven't figured out how to take those by myself, and won't ask others to take those kinds of pics). Will post one when I do...

Kris

2 Year Post Op

Unbelievable! You look fantastic...I am in the process of considering lap band and all the ups and downs that go along with it....and seeing your transformation is a huge incentive to go for it! Best of luck to you...you'll get to your goal!

• 1 month later...

You might check and see if it is closer for you to go to Monterry Mexico for the fills, I know that theres a Dr. there and I plan on using him once I moved to My home in Durango Mexico when I retire. Its only 4 hour drive from my house.

Denise

Thank you for posting.. it is uplifting to me.

You look amazing. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story and that it is not an overnight success. I am considering getting banded. I have an appointment in Fresno, CA Tuesday with Dr. Felix.

I admire your courage to move to Cancun. We love it there! We try to get town at least every other year. I love frequent flyer miles!!! You are brave and an inspiration!

Take care and God Bless!

Christy

P. S. Do you scuba?

• 4 months later...

Kris

2 Year Post Op

Kris~

Your story is inspiring! How are you doing? It has been months since this post. My husband wants to live in Cozumel....it would be a dream! :)

• 2 months later...

oh boy, you look gorgeous. I'm being banded on January 9th and looking so forward to starting a whole new life after that. Your story is very inspirational and you were so crazy brave to move to Cancun. Enjoy life to the fullest, you totally deserve it!

:-)