Also banded 3/17

OOPS banded 3/18. Blame the drugs:) We arrived on 3/17at 10:15am, and I had done the required 8 hours of fasting. We found our transportation at the airport to the clinic. For some reason I had it in my head the clinic was only about 15 minutes away. :-? It is about 35 min away. Our driver was not the usual driver and spoke very little english.

He took us directly to the clinic handed us our bags and told us to go to the 2nd floor. We checked in (after a rather long wait due to the receptionist being on the phone), signed the papers, paid and waited for my pre-op test.....and waited.....and waited :blink: (I WAS STARVING & DYING OF THIRST)

**I should mention while in the waiting room I was chatting with everyone there, apparently it was not a normal group but they had me freaked out. Two were there for unfills due to issues, a third arrived for a fill and ended up with an unfill, another lady was there to have her band replaced as it was removed to complications and a man was there having his removed because it didnt fit his lifestyle. Listening to them had me peeing my pants**

Met Dr. Miranda - SO SWEET, Dr.? for EKG & lung test - SUPER NICE and went back to waiting....finally Mrs. Ortiz arrived to take people back to the hotel (arround 2:30) and tried to get me to go. I mentioned that I still had not had my blood work, so I was left behind. Finally got my blood work - the NURSE WAS A HONEY and got it the first try ><' ><' nearly an impossible mission. Mrs. Ortiz returned and off we went to the hotel (about 3:30ish)

Arrived at hotel, room not quite ready so ate in resturant (my last meal per Dr Miranda) it was delish and our waiter was so nice. Hotel is nice, room is nice & clean and staff is super helpful!

Was told to stop eating and drinking by 9pm and to arrive in lobby at 7:00am, arrived and waited a bit. Mrs. Ortiz came to take us away. And although there was room in the car, my husband was not allowed to come with me :-? He was told they would pick him up later (this should be mentioned up front in my opinion) Also, he waited awhile for transportation (that never came) and caught a cab. Waited, waited, waited, waited...and arround 11:30 I was called back.

Rooms are super nice, super clean and very comfy! Husband & I settled in, got my meds, got loopy, chatted with dr's., meet dr ortiz (very nice) and off I went - I was first :D Started talking to the anestestioligist (sp) and passed out!!! Woke up in my room feeling sore but good.

Visited with my hubby for awhile and arround 430 they told him visiting time was over??? :(( :(( Made him leave (but other peoples guest stayed???) Had a bit of chest pain (still do its like a tight feeling) had an anxiety attack but nurses and dr's were super sweet & took great care of me.

Woke up, still felt sore, had to pry my boobies away from me (they get "glued" down from the iodine - freaked out a tad on this) walked, walked, walked and was released. Made it to the hotel before my husband tried for transportation to the clinic.

Rested, went shopping, had some broth, bought a zillion "real" purses. Called the clinic as I realized (A) Brian never got his tray from his dental visit & (B) had no clue what time we are being picked up. They told us to be ready to go at 7:00am us time (which is 6 in tijuana)...packed, slept and got up.

So here is the entertaining part of my story: My husband & I and a woman & her daughter were in the lobby to go home at 6am. Our flight was the earliest at 1150am (so we were leaving almost 4 1/2 hrs early). So we are waiting in the lobby visiting when a van arrives (almost a half hour late) and the driver comes in and states "Dr Ortiz" we said yes, again not the regular drive and not very good english, but we asked where Fransisco was and discussed the airport. He provided us a card and said he worked with Fransisco and not to worry... :ph34r: Off we went.

As we are waiting in the line (FOREVER) a man approaches our van on foot, which the other travelers identify as Fransisco. After Fransisco and our driver have what appears to be a heated argument, our driver allows Fransisco to cut in front of us. There is more arguing at which point our driver tells us that we have to pay him $50.00 which we tell him no, transportation is provided. He then talks to Fransisco again and tells us that Fransisco is going to meet us on the other side by the trolleys. **MOST OF THE TIME YOU HAVE TO WALK THROUGH BACK TO THE STATES, ANOTHER THING THAT SHOULD BE MENTIONED UP FRONT**

So, we walk across, look for Fransisco or the other driver and no one is there. We call the clinic and the receptionist tells us it is OUR fault as we got in the wrong van. WTF???? We asked several times and then they guy assured us. So we ask well if Fransisco was suppose to take us where was he...He TOOK OFF TO THE AIRPORT FOR A PICK UP....JUST LEFT US AT THE BOARDER.

So besides the fact that the Receptionist blamed us (and was less than friendly) the driver knew he was suppose to take us and ditched us....Over all it was a decent experience.

Just beware, you are in a forein country with language barriers and they move at a totatlly different pace then us.

I had planned on using their transportation services for fills, but now think I will stay in the states

Still have gas pains, think I am hungery, have 5 incisions but other than that, all is good.

Amanda

Hi

I'm so sorry that you had that trouble. How did you make it to the airport?

Nicole

I am also curious how you got to the aiport? Also, you had your pre-op on a sunday? I am flying in on Sunday (easter) but don't expect to go to the clinic, only the hotel. Now, I am not sure if I should fast or not on Sunday.

I thought they were closed on Sunday.

I to was banded on 3/17. We arrived on 3/16 at 10:15am, and I had done the required 8 hours of fasting. We found our transportation at the airport to the clinic. For some reason I had it in my head the clinic was only about 15 minutes away. :-? It is about 35 min away. Our driver was not the usual driver and spoke very little english.

He took us directly to the clinic handed us our bags and told us to go to the 2nd floor. We checked in (after a rather long wait due to the receptionist being on the phone), signed the papers, paid and waited for my pre-op test.....and waited.....and waited :blink: (I WAS STARVING & DYING OF THIRST)

**I should mention while in the waiting room I was chatting with everyone there, apparently it was not a normal group but they had me freaked out. Two were there for unfills due to issues, a third arrived for a fill and ended up with an unfill, another lady was there to have her band replaced as it was removed to complications and a man was there having his removed because it didnt fit his lifestyle. Listening to them had me peeing my pants**

Met Dr. Miranda - SO SWEET, Dr.? for EKG & lung test - SUPER NICE and went back to waiting....finally Mrs. Ortiz arrived to take people back to the hotel (arround 2:30) and tried to get me to go. I mentioned that I still had not had my blood work, so I was left behind. Finally got my blood work - the NURSE WAS A HONEY and got it the first try ><' ><' nearly an impossible mission. Mrs. Ortiz returned and off we went to the hotel (about 3:30ish)

Arrived at hotel, room not quite ready so ate in resturant (my last meal per Dr Miranda) it was delish and our waiter was so nice. Hotel is nice, room is nice & clean and staff is super helpful!

Was told to stop eating and drinking by 9pm and to arrive in lobby at 7:00am, arrived and waited a bit. Mrs. Ortiz came to take us away. And although there was room in the car, my husband was not allowed to come with me :-? He was told they would pick him up later (this should be mentioned up front in my opinion) Also, he waited awhile for transportation (that never came) and caught a cab. Waited, waited, waited, waited...and arround 11:30 I was called back.

Rooms are super nice, super clean and very comfy! Husband & I settled in, got my meds, got loopy, chatted with dr's., meet dr ortiz (very nice) and off I went - I was first :D Started talking to the anestestioligist (sp) and passed out!!! Woke up in my room feeling sore but good.

Visited with my hubby for awhile and arround 430 they told him visiting time was over??? :(( :(( Made him leave (but other peoples guest stayed???) Had a bit of chest pain (still do its like a tight feeling) had an anxiety attack but nurses and dr's were super sweet & took great care of me.

Woke up, still felt sore, had to pry my boobies away from me (they get "glued" down from the iodine - freaked out a tad on this) walked, walked, walked and was released. Made it to the hotel before my husband tried for transportation to the clinic.

Rested, went shopping, had some broth, bought a zillion "real" purses. Called the clinic as I realized (A) Brian never got his tray from his dental visit & (B) had no clue what time we are being picked up. They told us to be ready to go at 7:00am us time (which is 6 in tijuana)...packed, slept and got up.

So here is the entertaining part of my story: My husband & I and a woman & her daughter were in the lobby to go home at 6am. Our flight was the earliest at 1150am (so we were leaving almost 4 1/2 hrs early). So we are waiting in the lobby visiting when a van arrives (almost a half hour late) and the driver comes in and states "Dr Ortiz" we said yes, again not the regular drive and not very good english, but we asked where Fransisco was and discussed the airport. He provided us a card and said he worked with Fransisco and not to worry... :ph34r: Off we went.

As we are waiting in the line (FOREVER) a man approaches our van on foot, which the other travelers identify as Fransisco. After Fransisco and our driver have what appears to be a heated argument, our driver allows Fransisco to cut in front of us. There is more arguing at which point our driver tells us that we have to pay him $50.00 which we tell him no, transportation is provided. He then talks to Fransisco again and tells us that Fransisco is going to meet us on the other side by the trolleys. **MOST OF THE TIME YOU HAVE TO WALK THROUGH BACK TO THE STATES, ANOTHER THING THAT SHOULD BE MENTIONED UP FRONT**

So, we walk across, look for Fransisco or the other driver and no one is there. We call the clinic and the receptionist tells us it is OUR fault as we got in the wrong van. WTF???? We asked several times and then they guy assured us. So we ask well if Fransisco was suppose to take us where was he...He TOOK OFF TO THE AIRPORT FOR A PICK UP....JUST LEFT US AT THE BOARDER.

So besides the fact that the Receptionist blamed us (and was less than friendly) the driver knew he was suppose to take us and ditched us....Over all it was a decent experience.

Just beware, you are in a forein country with language barriers and they move at a totatlly different pace then us.

I had planned on using their transportation services for fills, but now think I will stay in the states

Still have gas pains, think I am hungery, have 5 incisions but other than that, all is good.

Amanda

Amanda - i actually had terrible transportation too. they were over an hour late picking me up on sunday. on the return the driver got to the border and said we would have a two hour wait. i said no way - i will miss my flight. he drove to the other border like a MANIAC. i almost threw up. we had to walk across, but he was at least waiting for us.

how are you feeling?

I am also curious how you got to the aiport? Also, you had your pre-op on a sunday? I am flying in on Sunday (easter) but don't expect to go to the clinic, only the hotel. Now, I am not sure if I should fast or not on Sunday.

I thought they were closed on Sunday.

We arrived on Monday and had pre-op testing then. My surgery was on Tuesday. I do believe they are closed on Sundays so you will only have to fast Sunday night.

Amanda - i actually had terrible transportation too. they were over an hour late picking me up on sunday. on the return the driver got to the border and said we would have a two hour wait. i said no way - i will miss my flight. he drove to the other border like a MANIAC. i almost threw up. we had to walk across, but he was at least waiting for us.

how are you feeling?

Donna,

Sorry about your transportation issues too....Funny isn't it. It is just a different pace.

Feeling much better today, almost human. Although I am super tight in the mornings and have to drink tea first thing to loosen up. How are you doing?

Amanda :-h

I think the business from Oprah show has taken it's toll on the OCC! Maybe they need to hire some more drivers for pick ups and drop offs. So sad to see this happen. I was fortunate to have a good experience, but I too waited my fair share, but dealing with military hospitals and clinics for the past 30 years has made me an expert on "hurry up and wait"! I would have panicked if I was left at the border, especially after surgery! Glad you made it home though.

We left on the 21st, and we had no trouble at all. Francisco picked us up at the exact time we were told, and when we arrived at the border, he told us that we would have to walk through customs with our luggage and then about a block where he would pick us up. Things went very smoothly. In fact, one of the border patrol interrupted the line and let us cut ahead of everyone. No luggage was opened; we just had to declare what we had purchased. We walked the very short block and were picked back up by Francisco. He got us to the airport with plenty of time, and we were very happy with our drive.

It is amazing how different things can be. One thing; I did call the drive coordinator before we left, and he told me that Francisco would be our driver.

Paula

Oh my goodness... what an experience? You should email Carolyn and/or Lori so they can make OCC aware of the problems you incurred. Maybe they can compensate you with something being that transportation is suppose to be provided.

I'm scheduled for 4/11/08... and all I have to say is FRANCISCO BETTER BE THERE!!!!!!! :lol: I do speak the language so hopefully things will run more smoothly..... hopefully :blink:

Oh my gosh Amanda! I would die if they left me at the border. I am so glad you got back to he airport safely!

OMG!!!! I'M SPEACHLESS!!..... AND ALSO SCARED TO DEATH!! I LEAVE FOR TJ TODAY FOR MY SURGERY TOMORROW!!!! :((

IF THEY LEAVE ME ... ANYWHERE, I WILL HAVE A NERVOUS BREAK DOWN!!! I'M GOING BY MYSELF AND I DO NOT SPEAK ONE WORD OF SPAINISH!!!! GOOD THING I'M FAT, HOPEFULLY NO ONE WILL MESS WITH ME! :ph34r:

I DEFINETLY THINK YOU SHOULD CALL OR SEND LORI OR CAROLYN AN EMAIL ABOUT THIS, THE RECEPTIONIST NEEDS HELP!! I CAN'T IMAGINE HAVING TO CONSENTRATE ON PATIENTS WITH THE PHONE RINGING CONSTANTLY AND DOING YOUR JOB PROPERLY!!! I NEED A DRINK....

SINCE I POSTED THIS I CONTACTED CAROLYN AND TOLD HER OF MY CONCERNS. SHE SAID SHE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE INCIDENT AND REASURED ME THAT I WILL BE FINE. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE CALL SOMEONE FROM THE OCC AND TELL THEM WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!!! #-o IT MAY HELP PREVENT ANYTHING LIKE THIS HAPPENING AGAIN, WE PRE-BANDSTERS ARE WORRIED ENOUGH [i'M SURE YOU REMEMBER] AND THIS WOULD LIKELY SEND ME OVER THE EDGE!!

I FEEL SO BAD FOR YOU!!! YOU MUST HAVE BEEN SCARED TO DEATH!! [OR AM I JUST A BIG PUSS??] :unsure:

Hi Bandsters,

First off, please know that this is a VERY unusual situation! (never heard of it before with our patients!!!)

As in the US, sometimes other companies try to swoop in to make some money, I've heard it happen at US hotels where a van claiming they work for the hotel comes to pick up people at the airport and then takes them to a competing hotel.

This van company tried to pick up some of our patients in order to make some money.

Remember... we post our drivers picture and give you his name for a reason, so you know who you should get into a car with. We always let our patients know in advance if somebody else will be picking them up other than Francisco or Mrs. Ortiz. It rarely happens, but sometimes Francisco's schedule is too busy and we need to hire a service, but this shouldn't be a surprise to our patients, they will be notified if this is the situation. If another van comes to the hotel and its not Francisco, and you haven't been informed in advance, DO NOT GET IN THAT VAN, check with the hotel desk staff, they have Rene's cell numbers and can verify what is going on.

I'm so sorry that this happened! Be safe travelers and always check a situation that seems questionable. Francisco always wears ID and will always know the names of the passengers that he is picking up.

Becky

Thanks for your response.

However when I arrived at the airport and waited aprox 1/2 hour (which was no big deal) I called Rene and he said the driver would be there any minute (he did not mention that it would not be Francisco or Junior). A driver did show up but it wasn't Francisco or Junior...it was a non-english speaking guy holding a note paper with Ortiz written in pencil. I would never have gotten in the van with him if it were not for the two other ladies who had arrived at the same time and he seemed to know he was picking up a person with a name that sounded remotely like mine (he had a very heavy accent). I spoke with you the day before I left and voiced my concern about traveling alone and worried about getting in the van with a random person and you assured me that it would be Francisco or Junior holding a sign with my name on it, and it was not...I know that it is not your fault as you aren't located in TJ, but that is what happened.

I don't think the transportation communication between Rene and arriving/departing patients is working out as well as you may think.

Please help OCC work on it, as always thanks for your attention to matters.

SJ

Hi Bandsters,

First off, please know that this is a VERY unusual situation! (never heard of it before with our patients!!!)

As in the US, sometimes other companies try to swoop in to make some money, I've heard it happen at US hotels where a van claiming they work for the hotel comes to pick up people at the airport and then takes them to a competing hotel.

This van company tried to pick up some of our patients in order to make some money.

Remember... we post our drivers picture and give you his name for a reason, so you know who you should get into a car with. We always let our patients know in advance if somebody else will be picking them up other than Francisco or Mrs. Ortiz. It rarely happens, but sometimes Francisco's schedule is too busy and we need to hire a service, but this shouldn't be a surprise to our patients, they will be notified if this is the situation. If another van comes to the hotel and its not Francisco, and you haven't been informed in advance, DO NOT GET IN THAT VAN, check with the hotel desk staff, they have Rene's cell numbers and can verify what is going on.

I'm so sorry that this happened! Be safe travelers and always check a situation that seems questionable. Francisco always wears ID and will always know the names of the passengers that he is picking up.

** First, There was no post of the drivers picture & no name given to me or the other travelors that were ditched with us. The communication I had from Rene, was limited at best. I emailed my travel itenary, received a brief responce of how many in party, responded and received a thank you. No mention of who would pick me up. The driver that picked me up was holding a hand written sign on the back of of manilla folder that said Dr. Ortiz but did not have the identifying green tag that is mentioned, but due to the language barrier I got in the van with no issues.

Second, I HAD TO CALL, to see what time our travel arrangements were for home. Again, I was told lobby at 7:00 (which is 6 their time) again NO NAME of who would pick us up. (The other people also had to call and were not told by who)

Third, at almost 7:30 (A HALF HOUR AFTER THE TIME TOLD) someone came in and said Dr. Ortiz & airport. The hotel staff helped load our luggage in the van. So they either knew the person from previous experiences or did not have a clue.

Fourth, Fransisco was at the border, communicated with the driver (who knows if he was a rouge or not) and went on to the airport, stranding us at the border.

Fifth, after being ditched at the border, calling the clinic we were told in essence it was our fault and that we would get a call back ( as we had to pay for a taxi). I might mention, no call, no email.

That being said, I AM HAPPY WITH THE PROCEEDURE I HAD! I AM HAPPY WITH DR. ORTIZ & HIS MEDICAL STAFF. It was worth it to me. My point being, is that the communication is not good, this is a worst case scenerio, but I felt that it should be mentioned up front. We are traveling out of the country and it could happen.

My point was to warn people, not to freak people out.

OMG!!!! I'M SPEACHLESS!!..... AND ALSO SCARED TO DEATH!! I LEAVE FOR TJ TODAY FOR MY SURGERY TOMORROW!!!! :((

IF THEY LEAVE ME ... ANYWHERE, I WILL HAVE A NERVOUS BREAK DOWN!!! I'M GOING BY MYSELF AND I DO NOT SPEAK ONE WORD OF SPAINISH!!!! GOOD THING I'M FAT, HOPEFULLY NO ONE WILL MESS WITH ME! :ph34r:

I DEFINETLY THINK YOU SHOULD CALL OR SEND LORI OR CAROLYN AN EMAIL ABOUT THIS, THE RECEPTIONIST NEEDS HELP!! I CAN'T IMAGINE HAVING TO CONSENTRATE ON PATIENTS WITH THE PHONE RINGING CONSTANTLY AND DOING YOUR JOB PROPERLY!!! I NEED A DRINK....

SINCE I POSTED THIS I CONTACTED CAROLYN AND TOLD HER OF MY CONCERNS. SHE SAID SHE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE INCIDENT AND REASURED ME THAT I WILL BE FINE. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE CALL SOMEONE FROM THE OCC AND TELL THEM WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!!! #-o IT MAY HELP PREVENT ANYTHING LIKE THIS HAPPENING AGAIN, WE PRE-BANDSTERS ARE WORRIED ENOUGH [i'M SURE YOU REMEMBER] AND THIS WOULD LIKELY SEND ME OVER THE EDGE!!

I FEEL SO BAD FOR YOU!!! YOU MUST HAVE BEEN SCARED TO DEATH!! [OR AM I JUST A BIG PUSS??] :unsure:

Sugar,

Go back and read my post.. our trip was perfect. Quit worrying and celebrate the beginning of your new life!

Donna,

Sorry about your transportation issues too....Funny isn't it. It is just a different pace.

Feeling much better today, almost human. Although I am super tight in the mornings and have to drink tea first thing to loosen up. How are you doing?

Amanda :-h

Hi - i am finally feeling better, how about you?

am actually going to schedule a fill for my 8 weeks post op. how about you? will you go back to OCC?

Hi - i am finally feeling better, how about you?

am actually going to schedule a fill for my 8 weeks post op. how about you? will you go back to OCC?

I am feeling so much better! Glad you are too. Just hungry.

I will be going back for my first fill and if I have any complications the rest of my fills I will get done locally.

That being said, I will be making my own travel arrangements :P

Sugar,

Go back and read my post.. our trip was perfect. Quit worrying and celebrate the beginning of your new life!

PAULA BEE,

SO GLAD THINGS WORKED OUT WELL FOR YOU!! HOW ARE YOU FEELING?? I'M HOME NOW AND FEELING PRETTY GOOD. MY WORRYING WAS ABOUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED TO AMANDA AND BEING LEFT AT THE BORDER. I WENT BY MYSELF AND DON'T TRAVEL MUCH AND WAS AFRAID IT MIGHT HAPPEN TO ME. MY ARRIVAL WAS A LITTLE HAIRY, BUT OK. FRANSISCO BROUGHT ME BACK TO THE AIRPORT WHEN I WAS LEAVING AND IT WENT PRETTY SMOOTH. HE SPEAKS ENGLISH AND WAS VERY NICE AND CHATTED WITH ME AND ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS ABOUT MEXICO. ALL IN ALL, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING TO DR.O, THEY ALL TREATED ME WONDERFULLY!! =D> DARLENE

I, for one, feel very reassured by Lori's response. I have traveled abroad numerous times and believe it or not, that same kind of situation happens all the time. Unfortunately, they take advantage of the fact that you may not speak the language and take services from other companies. This almost happened to me in Greece, but thankfully, I speak the language and was able to tell they weren't who I was supposed to have transportation with. I have total faith in OCC and plan to be very aware of my transportation when I fly in early May. And she is right, they do post a ton of information and photos on their site, so I'm confident in their services. I'm sorry this happened to you, though! What a scary situation. I'm glad you're safe.

Be safe, everyone!

Alana

OMG you just took the words out of my mouth. I am also going down alone eeeeekkk...and if anything ever happened to me like this I would probably burst into tears. I am extreemly anal about time and agenda, I swear I have a condition! Good thought...good thoughts....good thoughts. Thank you sooo much for making that post Lori, I do feel better.

OMG you just took the words out of my mouth. I am also going down alone eeeeekkk...and if anything ever happened to me like this I would probably burst into tears. I am extreemly anal about time and agenda, I swear I have a condition! Good thought...good thoughts....good thoughts. Thank you sooo much for making that post Lori, I do feel better.

Hi Sphynxmomma,

I was really worried when I first left Pa., but everything went great. The only minor problem I had was with the airline, not the OCC. My plane was diverted from San Diego to Los Angles due to fog. Then I had a 2.5hr bus trip back to San Diego. It sucked, but I called Rene from LA and told him the problem and he already knew! The driver met me 2 minutes after I arrived in SD!! My experience was awesome and I'd do it all over again!! =D> Darlene