When did you decide to have lap band surgery

What was it that prompted you to have lap band surgery? Did you have a 'turning point' or an event that made you decide enough is enough?

For me it was a series of events. One of them being, when I couldn't fit into any of my size 14 clothes and realized I had almost gained back all of the 50 lbs I had struggled so hard to lose. I have a closet full of clothes and can only fit into about 3 pairs of pants (all new size) and some T-shirts and a couple of sweaters. I work in Management and I can no longer wear my power suits. Which is ok since I feel far from powerful about myself at this time.

But things are gonna change come April 10th!!

I THINK FOR ME THE SIZE THING WAS AN ISSUE ALSO. ONCE I SAW MYSELF "GROWING" OUT OF MY 14 IT WAS LIKE "NOW WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO"

EVERY YEAR GAINING A FEW MORE POUNDS. WHAT WAS I GOING TO LOOK LIKE IN ANOTHER 2 or 3 YEARS?

MY DAUGHTER HAD BREAST IMPLANTS DONE IN THE SPRING OF 06. OK.... I THOUGHT WHAT CAN I DO TO IMPROVE "MY" LOOKS, MY HEALTH. LIP-O WASN'T GOING TO KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF IF I GOT IT SUCKED OUT. IT WOULD JUST RETURN AGAIN AS I HADN'T CHANGED ANY HABITS. HOW CAN I MAKE THIS WEIGHT LOSS PERMANANT? A FRIEND HAD LAPBAND SURGERY DONE BY ANOTHER DR IN MX SO MY SEARCH BEGIN AND IN THE SUMMER OF 06 MY LIFE CHANGED :)

MY LITTLE SISSY THEN HAD BREAST REDUCTION DONE IN THE FALL OF 06.

LAST SPRING I HAD A TT DONE

THIS PAST NOV MY MIDDLE SISSY HAD BAND SURGERY BY DR ORTIZ.

THIS HAS BECOME ALMOST LIKE A "NOW WHAT CAN "WE" DO" LOL

For me it was seeing this year's Christmas Pictures... Here's a highlight me at a size 20:

med_gallery_11221_12_926207.jpg

This was me at my highest, between 249-247 I just about cried when I saw these. I had been thinking about the lapband and started researching.

On Jan 1st I started a pre-op diet from a DR I found online and was ready to pay $16,000 then I saw the Oprah show in early Feb where they mentioned OCC and took it as a sign that Dr. Ortiz was the right doctor for me!!

Here I am 3 months later and already down almost 40lbs... Now a size 16

l_df4c4cf9036747c34c5e87f516d54bd8.jpg

I think my turning point was watching my health starting to deteriorate as the pounds increased. My joints hurt, I got a touch of arthritis and my blood pressure was steadily increasing. I started researching Lapband about 1.5yrs ago and happened upon Dr. O's site. I read everything I could find about him. I knew quite a few years ago that I would not lose the weight and keep it off if I didn't have some kind of help. Yo-yo dieting all my life made me realize that this was more than just "over eating", I have a serious problem with food. I called Carolyn last year and wanted to set up the surgery, but could not come up with the money. I then decided that when we got our income tax this year, I was scheduling the surgery.

I had to go to the ER one day because my leg was swollen and hot [thought I had a blood clot] and my pressure was 179\101. I had already had my surgery scheduled with Dr. O, but it made me realize "I could die from this"!!

I want to see my girls get married and I want to have Grandchildren one day. I don't want to end up having a heart attack or stroke and then having my hubby or girls having to take care of me and wiping my butt.

I think there's alot of reasons people turn to surgery for help..... I just know that I can't do it alone. Thanks to Dr. O I won't have to. I truely feel this is going to work for me, my life is changing as we speak!!! ;)

PS Michelle, you look FABULOUS!!!!!

For me, it was when I began to have difficulty doing every-day things like tying my shoes, shaving my legs, even (excuse the next statement, ladies) using a tampon. I'm 22 and I am too young to be falling apart!

May 9th, here I come!!

For me, it was when a 20 year old starting chasing me. He was 6'7, hard body, and drop dead gorgeous... and I realized, there was no way in h*ll I'd ever let him see me naked the way I looked. Obviously, he has no problem with me the way I am - but I don't want to feel self-conscious about my body in intimate situations (it's so much less fun when you worry about how you look from every angle. LOL!)

The poor dear thinks I'm not interested because I keep brushing him off... but soon enough he's going to be pleasantly surprised. LOL!

What was it that prompted you to have lap band surgery? Did you have a 'turning point' or an event that made you decide enough is enough?

For me it was a series of events. One of them being, when I couldn't fit into any of my size 14 clothes and realized I had almost gained back all of the 50 lbs I had struggled so hard to lose. I have a closet full of clothes and can only fit into about 3 pairs of pants (all new size) and some T-shirts and a couple of sweaters. I work in Management and I can no longer wear my power suits. Which is ok since I feel far from powerful about myself at this time.

But things are gonna change come April 10th!!

Everythings coming up roses. 'Gypsy Rose Lee'.

My turning point was when my doctor measured my waist last September/07 and said that the number exceeded the maximum and my risks for diabetes and heart disease go way up...and asked me to speak to the nutritionist on staff. I took that info away and thought to myself, I need to do something now and I need help...so I talked to a co-worker who's sister is having gastric bypass, obtained some information about all weight loss surgery options and chose Lap Band. I have a consultation with the surgeon on April 23/08 in Mississauga, ON. (I live in Kitchener, ON, Canada)

Whatever your reasons, it's what best for you and your situation and I wish you much luck with your surgery and I am sure we will be communicating more as time goes by...take care, Cathy (Kittycat)

Hi Redhead!

It sounds like for me it was a little different then anyone else I've talked to. No genetic history of obesity, yet growing up in avery superficial community in Southern California I felt I never fit in, which unfortunately caused an eating disorder for over 20 years. That's how I kept my weight down. Well, when I turned 35 my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she lived 400 miles away, so while working about 55 hours a week, taking care of my family, I drove to take care of her 3 weekends a month. I gained 75lbs in those 2 years. After screwing up my metabolism for so many years I tried everything I was desperate. Make a long story short, my mom died, my best friend was killed, and my contract wasn't renewed at a school I had been teaching at for 5 years(that was for the better I found out). All within 3 months, that's when I deceided, after much research, and support of my husband I got my band. I hope that wasn't overwhelming, just my story. The lapband has been a wonderful too for me. Good luck on your journey!!!! ><' Helena

For me it was a little bit of everything... I got to the point where most of the Lane Giant/Fashion Bug/Avenue clothing stores didnt have anything I could fit in. It is still very hard to admit that a size 30/32 was often to small. I was over 300 pounds and still in my early 20's. I used to hate going to doctors because every diagnosis involued losing weight... When I got strep throat every other month.. I was told that I wouldnt get it as much if I lost some weight... Ingrown toenail.. same thing GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I researched for 3 years on and off, but couldnt figure out where I was going to get the $$ to do it. I got married in March of last year (my husband is from England/Scotland) and we found it would be easier for me to move there... I decided to sell my house in prep for my move and even before the house closed I had figured how much I would make... and knew that I would be having my surgery.

That's my story in a nutshell!!!

Amber

Looking at Christmas pictures this year! My sister takes most of the pictures in our family and it seems that in everyone she had a picture of my huge butt! There were pictures from our brothers Christmas party and I looked at a lot of friends we had grown up with happy and healthy and here I am overweight with health issues looming in the not so distant future. I can't wait to officially begin my journey with the band on Monday, even if I am nervous about it.

I think after 20 years of yo yo dieting it was time for more control. Gravity is h*ll and when you're overweight you really have the aging wrinkles sooner. I don't feel like the person I look like at all. We have a beach condo and I want to be one of the ones who doesn't have to cover up just to walk down the beach comfortably. I think what really did it for me is I am developing the "jowls" on my face. Not really that bad, but there are distinct wrinkles at both sides of my chin where the fat is pulling my face down. No More for me, See you, Lynna, in TJ Mon. morning! Can't wait. Maybe we can do a few laps together!!! =D>

I GUESS I FINALLY MADE THE DECISION TO HAVE THE SURGERY AFTER GAINING BACK EVERYTHING I LOST ON WW AND THEN AGAIN ON JENNY CRAIG AND NOT BEING ABLE TO FIT INTO MY SIZE 16 CLOTHES, AT THAT POINT I SAID SOMETHING HAS GOT TO BE DONE. I STARTED MY RESEARCH, LAP BAND VS. GASTRIC BYPASS, AND DECIDED ON THE LAPBAND. I AM 3 WEEKS FROM MY SURGERY AND SO EXCITED ABOUT THE FUTURE. I WILL CHECK IN OFTEN WITH MY RESULTS AND COULD USE ANY ADVICE ANY HAS THAT HAS BEEN WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW.

Hi Redhead!

I am getting my surgery on the 11th so I most likely will the able to meet you! ;) Good luck by the way! I had watched the Oprah show and thought about it for like 2 minutes then totally brushed it off. Then the only pair of jeans that I could fit into (20) HAD to be washed and after they were, they were too tight! :(( I was like oops I dried them on accident, that's all. Bought another pair and I was wearing those when I started cleaning up after lunch one day. I threw something in the garbage and missed so I walked all the way into the pantry to pick it up. I bent down and each side of my butt touched the door jam. I then very slowly straighted and backed out of the pantry and looked at how wide the jam was. That was my turning point! :blink: My stomach dropped out of my feet to think that was how wide I was. :(( :(( :(( :((

Since then i am down 10 lbs and so freaken excited about the surgery.

Brook

I could eat a whole extra value meal at McDonalds and then would steal some of my kid's nuggets. I knew I was out of control with my eating. I also hate to look in the mirror. I avoid them at all costs. I knew something had to give..and fast.

Hi Redhead!

I am getting my surgery on the 11th so I most likely will the able to meet you! ;) Good luck by the way! I had watched the Oprah show and thought about it for like 2 minutes then totally brushed it off. Then the only pair of jeans that I could fit into (20) HAD to be washed and after they were, they were too tight! :(( I was like oops I dried them on accident, that's all. Bought another pair and I was wearing those when I started cleaning up after lunch one day. I threw something in the garbage and missed so I walked all the way into the pantry to pick it up. I bent down and each side of my butt touched the door jam. I then very slowly straighted and backed out of the pantry and looked at how wide the jam was. That was my turning point! :blink: My stomach dropped out of my feet to think that was how wide I was. :(( :(( :(( :((

Since then i am down 10 lbs and so freaken excited about the surgery.

Brook

I just noticed you're in Idaho too... where are you located? I'm in Boise.

For me it was seeing this year's Christmas Pictures... Here's a highlight me at a size 20:

med_gallery_11221_12_926207.jpg

This was me at my highest, between 249-247 I just about cried when I saw these. I had been thinking about the lapband and started researching.

On Jan 1st I started a pre-op diet from a DR I found online and was ready to pay $16,000 then I saw the Oprah show in early Feb where they mentioned OCC and took it as a sign that Dr. Ortiz was the right doctor for me!!

Here I am 3 months later and already down almost 40lbs... Now a size 16

l_df4c4cf9036747c34c5e87f516d54bd8.jpg

Way to go. You look great!

I would have to say my road to the band was a series of events too. Yes size was an issue but more importantly was my health. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and have been off birth control 3 years without getting pregnant. Then one day I realized - wow even if I do get pregnant I will probably be a gestational diabetic and gain 70 lbs on top of my 224. How unhealthy to bring a child into this world. So many women who are obese and have gestational diabetes never recover and become total diabetics. So when I heard about people going to Mexico for lap band and that I could actually afford it I said well that's it. I am now back on birth control so that I can lose my weight before getting pregnant. I have 1 year left of NP school and hopefully by then I will have most of my weight off and can work on having a family.

My journey started over 4 years ago. My doctor finally gave the go ahead for gastric by-pass, and then boom I was in an accident that landed me off my feet for almost 1 year. My right knee was totally destroyed and they had to fix it. Still am in pain, will be the rest of my life. But I just knew I had to do something so a little over a year ago started researching the band. It has taken me this long to get banded (3-24). I do believe my higher power was watching over me and decided the by-pass was not a good idea.

History about self: Taking anti depressents for past few years. Was bulimic for a year (before having a baby and on and off when I was younger) and got down to 200 from 280 (size 28 to size 14). Got prego and gained everything back because I refused to do anything harmful to the baby. Started back into the bulimia after the baby, I knew it was horrible and stopped doing it about a year later.

In july of 07 I was seriously researching ways of suicide that could be untraced. (I had also been taking alli which I later found out that suicidal thoughts are linked with the drug). Found a way and was on the boarder of going through w/ it. For some reason or another was talking to someone (she is a close family member to me, and I won't say what relation because we are both keeping the procedure secret.) and she mentioned getting lap banded. She knew I had wanted to have some kind of WLS and she was considering it also. She had already talked to someone about it and if my memory serves me right, had already scheduled an appt to get it done (not sure though). She knew the things I'd already been doing and I had told her about my recent "researching" on suicide. I think that is the only reason she told me that she was considering it, because she knew that I deathly hated myself because of my weight.

There is/was no way I could pay for it and so WLS was not an option or thought. She offered to pay, and said she doesn't expect me to pay her back. I said I would and she said that's fine if I can someday but she wasn't expecting it. I was able to talk my hubby into it. Thus began my new life with much hope!!!

Wow, I've never really sat down and thought it through like this! I'm so thankful for her (family member) I can't even express it. Not just because of this situation, but because of our friendship. But wow, this really makes me appreciate her even so much more. Who knows what I would have done had I continued taking Alli w/o knowing that was a side effect.