Is this for life?

I'm curious if this procedure is for life? Do we need to get something else done along the way.

If the band is at its maximum fill can you start gaining weight? or does your stomach expand over time? I want to feel full after eating that's the only way I seem to stop myself so I'm hoping that this band will give me that feeling.

I also heard that there are different size ports, one being a low profile. If that's true why wouldn't we get the low profile from the begining. I really don't want to have the procedure done again to change something.

Sue

I'm curious if this procedure is for life? Do we need to get something else done along the way.

If the band is at its maximum fill can you start gaining weight? or does your stomach expand over time? I want to feel full after eating that's the only way I seem to stop myself so I'm hoping that this band will give me that feeling.

I also heard that there are different size ports, one being a low profile. If that's true why wouldn't we get the low profile from the begining. I really don't want to have the procedure done again to change something.

Sue

I have not been banded yet, but my understanding is that this is permanent, although you can elect to have it removed if you needed or wanted to. The band is a tool to help you feel full while you change your eating habits. If you choose not to change the portion or types of foods you eat, it won't work. Even gastric bypass can fail, if you don't make the necessary lifestyle changes. I am sure the surgeon or our fellow bandsters can provide more info as well. Good luck with your decision...Cathy

I'm just concerned that it will not help me control the amount I eat. I do want to feel full if not I tend to pick at food all day. My last big weight loss was in '04 where I lost 80lbs in 7 months, doing Atkins, but it came back because I started to eat the bad carbs again and I would eat a lot of food. If I am feeling full then I feel satisfied and stop. I am hoping that this will help me with that feeling for life. I know all about eating the right foods but my self control is not always there.

Just reading some of the posts here makes me a little worried because people are being so careful with what they eat. I would think that you get so full from any meal that you would not want to touch anything until your next meal. That's what I'm looking for. Any of you feel full like that?

Your band is a tool. This has been the most mentally challengeing thing Ive ever put my body thru. I think you need to really think about why you eat food. People arent fat bc they are physically hungry all the time, they are "hungry" for another reason. Dealing with the profile of the ports, really isnt something you need to worry about unless you get SUPER skinny. Trust the docs! I doubt that once you are at your max fill that you would gain weight... i really dont know how you could eat that much with a full band as it limits your intake or you will get sick and PB. The band is for life if you want it to be, which i duno why someone wouldnt. It is removable if there is a problem but otherwise its your new best friend!

I just got my band Monday. My understanding is that the band is a tool to help us lose the weight. We choose to use it wisely or not. I hope this helps...

The way Dr. Martinez put it to me is that "the band is designed to last for life....but the clinical trials are only about 15yrs old.....so will the band start eroding after 20 years? We don't know yet." But I think it is worth a shot.

I'm just concerned that it will not help me control the amount I eat. I do want to feel full if not I tend to pick at food all day. My last big weight loss was in '04 where I lost 80lbs in 7 months, doing Atkins, but it came back because I started to eat the bad carbs again and I would eat a lot of food. If I am feeling full then I feel satisfied and stop. I am hoping that this will help me with that feeling for life. I know all about eating the right foods but my self control is not always there.

Just reading some of the posts here makes me a little worried because people are being so careful with what they eat. I would think that you get so full from any meal that you would not want to touch anything until your next meal. That's what I'm looking for. Any of you feel full like that?

I hear you...I have been yo-yo dieting most of my life...if you diet you lose weight, but eventually you starting eating more or foods you shouldn't and the weight creeps back on, only to start over again. I have chosen the lap band, because I need a drastic lifestyle change...and seeing the weight come off is a huge incentive to keep going. I have learned so much from reading the posts on this forum. It's not about eating whatever you want in smaller portions, it's about chosing healthy foods. If you eat "bad" foods, such as fries, burgers etc...you won't get the vitamins and nutrition that your body needs and could end up getting sick. It's trial and error....some people can eat whatever they want, others PB when they eat ice cream.

It's mind over matter...I guess that's why they give you a psych assessment before a surgery date is booked...at least they do here in Ontario, Canada.

It's not easy...it's probably the most difficult thing you will ever do for yourself....but the rewards are sooo worth it!!

I have my first surgical consult on Wednesday and I am nervous and excited...this is a huge step for me.... but I can't wait any longer or delude myself into thinking that I can do it without it...I know from past experience that I need some help.

Take care and best of luck, Cathy