TRAVELLING ALONE

Hi Everybody... I am probably going by myself to OCC. I have a tentative appt booked on May 15th. Just have to make sure I can get a few days off work, and will be able to confirm beginning of next week. I was wondering if any of you have gone by yourself? What's it like to stay in the hotel by yourself? Did you feel safe? Were you at all worried about having the surgery and then being alone? Is anyone scheduled for the 15th?

Thanks!

Hi Everybody... I am probably going by myself to OCC. I have a tentative appt booked on May 15th. Just have to make sure I can get a few days off work, and will be able to confirm beginning of next week. I was wondering if any of you have gone by yourself? What's it like to stay in the hotel by yourself? Did you feel safe? Were you at all worried about having the surgery and then being alone? Is anyone scheduled for the 15th?

Thanks!

Lots of bandsters have gone by themselves and have had no issues at all!! You will feel very safe once you arrive and then you will meet so many great friends there that will be able to offer you support so worrying about your safety will be put out of your mind!!

Thanks!

Hello!!

My name's Darlene and I went to Dr.Ortiz for banding on 3-25-08 and I went by myself!! :-h I had no problems and would do it again. Actually, I'll be going for my first fill [hopefully the begining of June] again, by myself. Like Michelle said, you'll meet so many great people at the OCC and the Lucerna that you really don't feel like you're alone. You can read my story on the "newly banded thread'" labled "banded on 3-25 by Dr. Ortiz, went by myself!!" I was nervous about the whole thing, but I wasn't afraid. I locked the door in my hotel room and put the latch bar over and didn't feel afraid at all. [i do that at hotel's in the states too] The staff at the Lucerna are so nice and helpful. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, they'll bend over backwards for you!! If you have any other questions, just ask. I remember how nervous I was before going, all kinds of thought and worries going through my mind. You'll be in excellent hands!! Best wishes, Darlene

Hi! I just went by myself this week. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! I felt completely safe and made friends with other bandsters who were there. I even walked down to the mall by myself...of course during the day and I am used to traveling alone. As far as having the surgery, I feel I got better care than I do when I go to the doctor/hospital here in the states. I would not hesitate to do it again in a second. If you have any questions just send me a message, I will be happy to answer them. Good Luck!

Thank you for your replies. They told me that if I arrived Thursday morning, they would do my pre-op that morning, and then my surgery right after, spend the night at the hospital, Friday to the hotel and home Saturday. It seems like such a quick trip. Do you know if they would allow me to stay and go home Sunday? I would feel much better. Also.. one more question. I have read that some of you are talking about excellent mexican food there before your surgery. If you've been restricted to a pre-op diet, is it ok to have a good mexican meal the night before?? Sounds wonderful to me if you can.

Thank you for your replies. They told me that if I arrived Thursday morning, they would do my pre-op that morning, and then my surgery right after, spend the night at the hospital, Friday to the hotel and home Saturday. It seems like such a quick trip. Do you know if they would allow me to stay and go home Sunday? I would feel much better. Also.. one more question. I have read that some of you are talking about excellent mexican food there before your surgery. If you've been restricted to a pre-op diet, is it ok to have a good mexican meal the night before?? Sounds wonderful to me if you can.

Call the clinic and ask about staying an extra day. Since your fee generally includes two nights at the hotel plus one at the clinic, they should be willing to discuss it with you.

Dr Ortiz told us it was okay to have a good meal the night before surgery. he said don't stuff yourself, but you can have a decent meal, Mexican food included.

Woooooooohooooooooo!!!

You know... I thought it was supposed to include 2 nights at the hotel, so I'm not sure why I was being sent home so quickly. I will for sure ask.

Thanks Snowbird. I'm in Vancouver, and am always down in Blaine, Bellingham. We'll have to maybe try and meet up sometime.

Call the clinic and ask about staying an extra day. Since your fee generally includes two nights at the hotel plus one at the clinic, they should be willing to discuss it with you.

Dr Ortiz told us it was okay to have a good meal the night before surgery. he said don't stuff yourself, but you can have a decent meal, Mexican food included.

You will be fine by yourself. ><' Everyone there is so nice and takes such good care of you..I was amazed at the level of care!

Dr. Miranda told us to have a great meal, but not to gain a pound. LOL

I was there a total of 5 days and of course I had to pay for the extra time at the hotel but it was only $80 a night. Well worth it for the extra healing time. And I did have mexican food the night before surgery. No way was I going that far without eating my favorite food! When I go back for my fill, I intend on staying 4 days as a mini vacation and so I can try some more food before my fill.

Hi Allcdngirl

I am in Vancouver as well! I am being banded on April 21 and will be going by myself. From everything I have heard on this forum, I don't think there is anything to worry about. My biggest fear is the surgery itself, will be glad when I wake up and it is all over and done with.

I'll let you know how it goes. We should start a Dr. Ortiz support group in Vancouver :D

Hi Allcdngirl

I am in Vancouver as well! I am being banded on April 21 and will be going by myself. From everything I have heard on this forum, I don't think there is anything to worry about. My biggest fear is the surgery itself, will be glad when I wake up and it is all over and done with.

I'll let you know how it goes. We should start a Dr. Ortiz support group in Vancouver :D

Hi Allcdngirl

I'll be getting my surgery on the 14th...I'll look in on you! ^_^

Hi Allcdngirl

Hi Allcdngirl and WestCoastGirl

I just had my surgery last Thursday at the OCC. I live in Surrey. Nice to see some more Canucks on the forum.

Denise

Hi TheRedHead,

I was just wondering, did you tell US Customs that you were going to MX for surgery? I have had a few wierd experiences with Customs and was just wondering.

Thanks!

Yes, I told them. U.S. customs was good with it. As soon as I said it he let us through. The Canadian customs was pickier. She kept drilling me about Tijuana but let us through anyway. I was ready to lift my shirt right there and show her. LOL